Disney's California Adventure - What's Wrong With It?

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
I have not been to Disneyland yet, but have been to WDW several times and will be going there on Sept 22 for 9 nights. However, I do plan to go to California sometime and visit Disneyland and DCA. I have heard several comments that California Adventure if not nearly as good as Disneyland and was poorly designed and the rides are nothing special. I am wondering what specifically is wrong with the park? Is it not laid out well? Are the rides not as good as in other parks? Seems like they have several good attractions from what I can tell, but obviously there is something I am missing as to why it is not a park people crave to see. What needs to be fixed? Can it be fixed?

Anyone that has been that can provide input would be helpful in understanding and setting my expectations for the park... Thanks!

I think the problem may be that there is just not enough there for a lot of people; you might compare it to Animal Kingdom in that way. There are a few great rides (TOT, Screamin, Soarin, GRR) and some OK boardwalk type rides, a lot for younger kids (Bug's Land, Redwood Challenge) which I have not seen since I don't have younger kids, and some attractions other than rides (which some people don't care for). The Aladdin show gets rave reviews but I thought it was just OK. Most will say plan to spend a half day there, but some like it more and will say that it takes a whole day (like they say about AK).

Our biggest complaint was that it was weird to navigate. We kept getting stuck in places then having to walk all the way back around to get to where we were trying to go. I think that's what I love the most about DL, its so well layed out.

We loved Soarin', dh loved Grizzly (it was too cold the morning we were there, so I didn't go on), and ToT, but other than those we didn't do a whole lot.

For my family (DH, me, & girls who were 11, 9,7 & 2 this summer), I felt there weren't enough things we could all do together, where as Disneyland has so many all-family attractions (Jungle Cruise, Pirates, etc., etc.). My DH & older girls all loved DCA. They loved Soarin', GRR and most of the rides at Paradise Pier, but they weren't much interested in the little kid stuff. My little one & I spent much of the time sitting eating popcorn and waiting for the others to get off the rides. There was very little shade, and it seemed much hotter to me there than at Disneyland.

Having said that, I look forward to going there again on our next trip when our youngest will be 4.

First off, there aren't enough E rides or shows at DCA. That was helped with the addition of ToT, but it didn't help that Screamin' went down. There are only a few rides that I want to ride repeatedly during a visit. One or two more E rides would make a big difference.

Secondly, many of the rides don't have the magical, unique Disney touch. A good percentage of the rides are at Paradise Pier, and I think PP was intended to be modeled to have the feel of a boardwalk type amusement park. But then, that makes it like a boardwalk type amusement park; not really that special. Many of the rides are not too unlike what you might experience elsewhere -- fun, but not that unique or magical. Similarly, I think Bug's Land just can't compare with Fantasyland or even Toontown for magical Disney feel. I haven't spent much time there, because I think my DS and I are too old for it; you're never too old for Fantasyland!

That being said, I love DCA and have a great time there. Soaring is fabulous and quite unique. Aladdin is very worth watching more than once. Grizzly River Run is very fun; it isn't too unlike other rafting rides, but it was done with the Disney touch IMO. I love the pier and water areas at night. It is SO cool being able to stay at the GCH and go back and forth to your room so easily. etc. etc. AND, the park is rarely as crowded as DL, so it can provide a nice break from the crowds. DCA is right next to DL, so it's so easy to hop back and forth.

Frankly, I think the biggest problem with DCA is that too many of us expected it to be as special as DL.

We love the park. I think many wanted a park to be built and be the end product the day of opening. It goes through the same trial and error any park does.

In my (real life) experience, I do not know of anyone who is a "casual" park go-er (i.e not a local or AP) who has not enjoyed California Adventure.My non Disney Fanatic friends read these websites and expect to hate the park. They always come back and have been pleasantly surprised.

It cannot hold a candle to DL, but neither can MK/AK/Epcot/MGM, etc.

I would like more attractions, but we certainly find what they have more than adequate.

We loved DCA. One of my favorite things about it was that it was less crowded. We were able to get on rides with virtually no wait. We took a full day to see the whole park and got on almost every ride. (we did get on all rides we wanted). The block party bash, talking with crush, and aladdin were great.

Me and my kids love DCA it is new so they still have things they are going to add on to it. You just can't compare Disneyland to anything and I think that is what people are doing.
JenJen

CalGal said:
Frankly, I think the biggest problem with DCA is that too many of us expected it to be as special as DL.

I think this pretty much hits the nail on the head. DCA was always meant to be a secondary park to keep guests & $ at Disneyland. But people, especially locals who have never been to WDW expected a similar experience to Disneyland and were in kind of a culture shock when presented w/DCA, and because it was so different than what they expected, weren't prepared to like it. Add to that discussion boards devoted to Disneyland, where people who go all the time expect Disney perfection at all times, and when that is not achieved, are such harsh critics, and you get more people expecting to be disappointed.

Mary Jo said:
I think this pretty much hits the nail on the head. DCA was always meant to be a secondary park to keep guests & $ at Disneyland. But people, especially locals who have never been to WDW expected a similar experience to Disneyland and were in kind of a culture shock when presented w/DCA, and because it was so different than what they expected, weren't prepared to like it. Add to that discussion boards devoted to Disneyland, where people who go all the time expect Disney perfection at all times, and when that is not achieved, are such harsh critics, and you get more people expecting to be disappointed.
I agree. DCA loses when compared to DL one-to-one. However, for me and my family it has become an extension of DisneyLand. And when viewed that way, it succeeds. For all future trips we will plan an additional day to make sure we have time for DCA. As they build more attractions there, we may have to add two days.

DCA has some really neat things going for it. And it makes visiting DisneyLand better.

I frankly view WDW the same way. You could not drag me across the country to see MGM or AK (or MK since it is so similar to DL). But WDW as a whole works for me.

Pre DCA, DL was 2 days tacked onto a trip to San Diego -- maybe every other year. But with DCA/Downtown Disney - it works for me - 4 days (or more) at least once if not twice a year . The parks complement each other well.

Now,,,,if Downtown Disney could open an Adventures Club......you might see me more. :cheer2: :wave: :cheer2:

yeartolate said:
I frankly view WDW the same way. You could not drag me across the country to see MGM or AK (or MK since it is so similar to DL). But WDW as a whole works for me.

Pre DCA, DL was 2 days tacked onto a trip to San Diego -- maybe every other year. But with DCA/Downtown Disney - it works for me - 4 days (or more) at least once if not twice a year . The parks complement each other well.

Now,,,,if Downtown Disney could open an Adventures Club......you might see me more. :cheer2: :wave: :cheer2:

I'd like a Disney Quest tacked on, too. :)

Mary Jo said:
I'd like a Disney Quest tacked on, too. :)
That would be great, although ESPN Zone helped some since DS is a huge sports fan. Too bad there is not room for a water park (Blizzard Beach is DS's favorite WDW park).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter