Disney's BOARDWALK INN Information & Questions

Do the TVs at BWI have accessible HDMI ports? Was thinking of bringing along a Chromecast for those afternoon lounge times/when we're falling asleep at night...

I don’t know but if the answer is yes, then part two of your question should be whether people have been able to stream movies over the wifi there during the afternoon. I know there are times and places where I can barely open a website. Mornings are better than evenings. I don’t know about afternoons.

Hi Everyone,

My family of six is traveling to Disney for the first time in October. Our flight is scheduled to arrive in Orlando at 12:30. We are planning to walk to Epcot that day from BWI. My youngest daughter is 5 and loves Frozen, so I used that for our Tier One FP and booked it from 4:40pm-5:40pm. It seems to make sense to make Frozen first based on where it is in the park - it would have to be first or last and I don't know how late she is going to make it. Booking it at the end of the night (7:30 or 8ish) is also an option though. What do you all think? Is that time slot a decent one, taking into account time to travel to our hotel, check in, grab a bite, and walk to the park, plus any (minor) delays with travel? Or should I book the others early and walk the other way around the park, finishing with Frozen?

Hi Everyone,

My family of six is traveling to Disney for the first time in October. Our flight is scheduled to arrive in Orlando at 12:30. We are planning to walk to Epcot that day from BWI. My youngest daughter is 5 and loves Frozen, so I used that for our Tier One FP and booked it from 4:40pm-5:40pm. It seems to make sense to make Frozen first based on where it is in the park - it would have to be first or last and I don't know how late she is going to make it. Booking it at the end of the night (7:30 or 8ish) is also an option though. What do you all think? Is that time slot a decent one, taking into account time to travel to our hotel, check in, grab a bite, and walk to the park, plus any (minor) delays with travel? Or should I book the others early and walk the other way around the park, finishing with Frozen?
Just my personal preferences, but I would rather END the evening close to the International Gateway so I don't have to fight the flow of the crowd all heading towards the main entrance/exit. So for me, I agree, I would start the Epcot visit by walking around the France to Mexico side, and then work my way back up the other side, and do whatever FPs you have along the way. I wouldn't want to try to do Frozen right before leaving.

I don’t know but if the answer is yes, then part two of your question should be whether people have been able to stream movies over the wifi there during the afternoon. I know there are times and places where I can barely open a website. Mornings are better than evenings. I don’t know about afternoons.

That won’t be a worry—I have my own portable WiFi network. But good point!

Hi Everyone,

You have plenty of time for the earlier FP providing your flight is not delayed. If all goes well, you should arrive at BWI no later than 2 pm. It's a 15 minute walk to the IG from BWI. I agree with PP to try and be on the IG side towards the end of the night for easy exit. We watched Illuminations in England (Right along the water by the Fish shop) and were out the IG and on the Friendship boat in less than 10 minutes after the end of the show (if it was even that long, I didn't time it, but it was fast).

You have plenty of time for the earlier FP providing your flight is not delayed. If all goes well, you should arrive at BWI no later than 2 pm. It's a 15 minute walk to the IG from BWI. I agree with PP to try and be on the IG side towards the end of the night for easy exit. We watched Illuminations in England (Right along the water by the Fish shop) and were out the IG and on the Friendship boat in less than 10 minutes after the end of the show (if it was even that long, I didn't time it, but it was fast).

Thanks for the tip! I am totally clueless about fireworks viewing areas too. I will try to end up in that area at the end of the night if the little one makes it that late. How early would we need to be in England to claim spot in that area? Is 15 to 30 minutes enough? (our Epcot day is projected to be a 5/10 if that helps).

Thanks for the tip! I am totally clueless about fireworks viewing areas too. I will try to end up in that area at the end of the night if the little one makes it that late. How early would we need to be in England to claim spot in that area? Is 15 to 30 minutes enough? (our Epcot day is projected to be a 5/10 if that helps).

If you want real seats at the tables, I would think an hour before show starts minimum. We got there about 30 minutes prior. My kids sat on the ground and watched through the fence, we stood.

We were there on spring dapper day, so it was crowded, but not crazy. I don't know what they crowd eating was, but I would think close to 5/10. I've seen lighter, but I know it could've been much worse. Some people also stand on the bridge between England and France. That's also close to the iG exit.

We returned Saturday from our stay at BW. We had requested something close to an elevator & bus. We were assigned 1296 which we initially were elated about.

Now we are thinking twice. DD noticed black mold all around the edge of the cloth shower curtain but didn't bring it to our attention until we got home. I was dealing with a casted wrist so I didn't pay much attention to shower other than making sure I didn't fall.

DH started getting congested about day 3 and I have been miserable since returning home. Can't stop sneezing, coughing, fever, etc.

Surely the strange smell in the room & mold on the shower curtain didn't lead to this???

I work in public health. The chances are much greater that you just got a virus from somewhere in Disney or on the airplane (if you took one). Even if there was mold, some people are sensitive to it. If you were ultra-sensitive to mold, you would know it by now. Many basements or wetter areas have mold and I have never heard of them causing fever. Your virus will run its course and you should be fine.

I work in public health. The chances are much greater that you just got a virus from somewhere in Disney or on the airplane (if you took one). Even if there was mold, some people are sensitive to it. If you were ultra-sensitive to mold, you would know it by now. Many basements or wetter areas have mold and I have never heard of them causing fever. Your virus will run its course and you should be fine.

I used to get sick almost every trip to WDW... then I finally figured it out.

Now I take bleach wipes with me, wipe down everything I'm likely to touch on the plane, (tray table, arm rests, entertainment screen, even the literature pocket on the back of the seat in front of me), as well as wipe down the room stuff, like remote control, phone, light switches, etc. I also use hand sanitizer frequently.

In addition to all this, I also us the Airborne gummies for a bit of extra zinc and Vit c, and I think that helps a lot.

There are so many folks there that may have left behind germs my body isn't resistance to!

Since I started this, I haven't gotten sick at all in my travels...

Now stupid dumb injuries...that's something else again... last trip broke my pinky toe the very first night while unpacking and hobbled around for a week... and ended up falling on concrete on my bad knee, which required knee replacement surgery after getting home.

Still worth every minute we were there!!!

:)

Now I take bleach wipes with me, wipe down everything I'm likely to touch on the plane, (tray table, arm rests, entertainment screen, even the literature pocket on the back of the seat in front of me), as well as wipe down the room stuff, like remote control, phone, light switches, etc. I also use hand sanitizer frequently.

I'm thinking I'll have to plan for this as well. My kids are still at the stage where they feel the need to touch everything (they drag their hands all the way up the railing on a ramp, despite not needing the support) and we're traveling in February. I don't want to spend my Disney week with sneezing/coughing preschoolers!

Regarding the laundry room the villas. Can those be used throughout your last day after checking out? do you need your magic band to get in or operate machines?

I'm right with you, jlundeen! I also wipe down the parts of the curtain where people push to open/close it, the arm and underneath of chairs where you pull or push them (can't tell you how many times I've felt a sticky mess under a chair arm!). And my remote goes right into a produce plastic bag from the grocery store. Then I don't have to touch it at all. It may seem extreme, but it keeps me healthy. (I don't want to start a discussion about whether germs are good or bad for you. To each his own, I say.)

Regarding the laundry room the villas. Can those be used throughout your last day after checking out? do you need your magic band to get in or operate machines?
You will probably need your magic band to get into the laundry room. It may or may not work if you are required to check out by 11AM. It's a very small laundry room, so don't plan on getting a lot of laundry done at one time. You might have to wait to use the same machine you just used to do a second load.

Data: Feb 2020 we will be me 49, DH 56, DS 17 and DS 13 (DS 21 has 0 interest :worried:). The boys will often tour, park hop without us. We have never stayed at an Epcot area resort. ETA We haven't even visited the Boardwalk area before...I really don't have a feel for the size/distances.

I am looking ahead to a February 2020 trip ......... and I have a rather subjective question.

The idea of a BWI stay got stuck in my head for the ability to walk to Epcot (yummy dinners!) and HS (Star Wars!). When I mentioned this to my husband, he expressed a reluctance to think he will feel up to walking to and from parks knowing we will be spending the days walking around parks. So....help me get a feel for it....does it feel long ? Is it more tiring than a bus ride/wait at the end of the day?

Last edited:
Remember that you can also take boats to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. We have never walked to Hollywood Studios. The boat is so convenient when staying at an Epcot resort. We have always taken the short walk to Epcot's International Gateway. But, after a long day in Epcot, we usually rode the boat back to the resort. We have always gone during hot weather. So, the heat took a toll on the body. The coolest spot on the boats were normally in the back of the boat( with the wind blowing). The inside never felt cool. We are going during cooler weather this time and can't wait!

When I mentioned this to my husband, he expressed a reluctance to think he will feel up to walking to and from parks knowing we will be spending the days walking around parks. So....help me get a feel for it....does it feel long ? Is it more tiring than a bus ride/wait at the end of the day?

It really depends on where in EPCOT you are going to, or returning from? If your schedule has you near the IG when you are returning from EPCOT to the Boarwalk, then it is not bad. If you are at the front of the park, then it is a long walk. If you think (like we did) that being close to the park makes walking from the Boardwalk to Frozen Ever After just to ride the ride and walk back is a good idea, it isn't. It is about 1.5 miles from the Boardwalk to the ride, so 3 miles roundtrip. This was on our "rest" day, when we just happened to snag a FP in the middle of the morning.

But since you have to get to a park exit no matter what mode of transportation you are taking back to a resort, the walk from the IG to the Boardwalk is faster than walking out of a park, to the bus stop and waiting on the bus to arrive by far, in my opinion.

Data: Feb 2020 we will be me 49, DH 56, DS 17 and DS 13 (DS 21 has 0 interest :worried:). The boys will often tour, park hop without us. We have never stayed at an Epcot area resort. ETA We haven't even visited the Boardwalk area before...I really don't have a feel for the size/distances.

I am looking ahead to a February 2020 trip ......... and I have a rather subjective question.

The idea of a BWI stay got stuck in my head for the ability to walk to Epcot (yummy dinners!) and HS (Star Wars!). When I mentioned this to my husband, he expressed a reluctance to think he will feel up to walking to and from parks knowing we will be spending the days walking around parks. So....help me get a feel for it....does it feel long ? Is it more tiring than a bus ride/wait at the end of the day?
Personally, I would rather save my tired aching feet for touring in the Parks rather than walking back to the resort at the end of the day. Sometimes the morning walk to the park is okay but coming back is always painful for me.

Maybe the younger folks are not quite as effected, but for my age group, and my weight class, I'd much rather walk in the Parks and ride to and from.

Epcot to BWI is like a 2, 3 min walk. Incredibly close.
From my point of view, having stayed there a lot, you would spend as long walking down to the IG dock, and back up from the BWI dock as you would just to walk straight from IG to BWI. You have to sort of backtrack to the IG boat dock and then the BWI dock is past the entrance so you have to go backwards to get to it, unless you are staying in the Villas. If you look at a map it may help make more sense.
Not to mention by the time you stood around waiting on a boat you could walk back to BWI. Standing around waiting on a bus or a boat is way more tiring than the very short walk to Epcot.

HS on the other hand, it's a longer walk but, again, I think the walk (moving) is much better than the standing and waiting. I'd take a 15 min walk over 15 min standing and waiting on a boat every time. Because to me, standing is more tiring/hard on my feet than walking.

Epcot to BWI is like a 2, 3 min walk. Incredibly close.
From my point of view, having stayed there a lot, you would spend as long walking down to the IG dock, and back up from the BWI dock as you would just to walk straight from IG to BWI. You have to sort of backtrack to the IG boat dock and then the BWI dock is past the entrance so you have to go backwards to get to it, unless you are staying in the Villas. If you look at a map it may help make more sense.
Not to mention by the time you stood around waiting on a boat you could walk back to BWI. Standing around waiting on a bus or a boat is way more tiring than the very short walk to Epcot.

HS on the other hand, it's a longer walk but, again, I think the walk (moving) is much better than the standing and waiting. I'd take a 15 min walk over 15 min standing and waiting on a boat every time. Because to me, standing is more tiring/hard on my feet than walking.

I can agree with @AngiTN - to a point! Walking from BWI to and from the IG might be shorter or at best a roughly equal distance as walking to and from the Boardwalk boat dock (you have to pass the IG boat dock no matter what). And I agree that walking is easier than standing. However, let me add that there are benches on the Boardwalk near the boat dock, so if you'd rather ride to DHS (we routinely ride to DHS and to Epcot), but we're older than Angi and need to save our legs more!) you can sit and wait for the boat. When you see it come around the corner from Epcot, you can get up and enter the line for DHS! So tell your husband it won't be a problem. Y'all can send the boys ahead and take the boat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter