Disney's All-Star Movies Resort Review

Alex Coleman

Mouseketeer

This is a comprehensive review of Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort. I will give my thoughts about the resort itself and I will review the room. I will also give some recommendations for those who may want to stay at the resort and some suggestions to make your stay better.

Sarah and I stayed here during our November 2017 trip. This was not our first time staying at one of the All-Star resorts. During our June 2017 trip, we stayed at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort. Spoiler alert, this review will be strikingly familiar if you read my review of that resort.

These resorts are incredibly similar. There are several differences, but the main determining factor is the theming. As far as theming goes, I think this is the best among the All-Star resorts. For Sarah and I, we would prefer Movies over Sports or Music.

Resort

First, some overall thoughts about the resort. As I have stated before, I think that all Walt Disney World experiences have to be taken with a grain of salt. The expectations of this resort need to be exactly what their name designates: value. These are not the Ritz Carlton. If you have those expectations, you will be sorely disappointed.

But let’s get into the positives. First, the price. Guests who choose this resort are looking at hotels in the category because they are more affordable. I have stayed at resorts across the country and few resorts are priced this well, and they aren’t even attached to one of the largest and most popular theme parks in the world!

The next positive is the facade and lobby theming. I know that theming can be highly subjective, but I think there are fun details. The facade looks great at night and the lobby is loud, but simple. I also think this theming extends well to the pool areas. The Fantasia Pool area is really fun and I like the Mickey statue in the center.

The icons throughout the resort are especially awesome at All-Star Movies. Sarah and I are suckers for Disney intellectual property so this resort ticks a massive box for us. I walked around and took a lot of pictures of these icons because I love them!

Sarah and I both think that the World Premiere Food Court is a positive here. I think it is an above-average food court with some really good options. There is a build-your-own-pasta bar and a decent selection for breakfast. I think this is a serviceable location for any meal. It won’t be the best meal you have on property, but is good for a quick snack or a meal.

Now time to talk about some negatives of the resort. First, though it is not as bad as Music, the walking situation at Movies can be difficult. These are small resorts, but some rooms can be massively far away. The walkways are slightly more straightforward at Movies, but the Herbie and Mighty Ducks sections are sizeable walks from the lobby. We were fortunate enough to get a room in the Toy Story section and our walk was not terrible.

I also recognize here that the theming can be kitschy to those not looking for 30-foot Woody outside of their room. As it is with everything in life, it is a matter of preference. I don’t mind them because I think they are interesting, my parents would likely not.

Rooms

It is important to start this section of the review off by stating that these rooms, once again, are value. They are Motel 6ish because they cost what most Motel 6’s would cost. These resorts are for people who want to get the most “bang for their buck” or people who will be spending almost all their times in the parks (Sarah and I).

I thought there were some positives to the rooms. We both thought they were well-lit. I also had no problem with the furniture. The bed frame, entertainment center, and table were nice and even had a little not-so-hidden-Mickey in them.

Now come the negatives. Just because this list is long, be reminded about my expectations talk! These aren’t bad resorts, they are just inexpensive. First, these rooms are small and lightly themed. If you are looking for amazing, over-the-top Disney theming, splurge a bit and go to Disney’s Art of Animation.

The beds were another point of contention for us. I did not expect a TempurPedic bed, but the issue was far beyond the comfort level of the bed. This sounds strange, but the beds were both different firmness levels. I had to have Sarah try them out several times to make sure I wasn’t crazy. I wasn’t. They were different! Their pillows were also not very high quality. Hot tip: if you like to use a lot of pillows (like me) request more. They were incredibly weak.

The bathroom is another area where you can thank good expectations for your happiness level. It is a perfectly functioning bathroom space. All the essentials are there: sink and vanity, toilet, and shower. But you won’t be blown away by any of the above. The vanity is small. The light made a really loud noise when I turned it on. The tile looked like it could have used a cleaning. The water pressure in the shower was below-average.

Overall, the room is small and basic. You can definitely enjoy staying here, but you will not be knocked off your feet by the opulence.

Should I Stay Here?

As I stated before, if you are looking to save money on your room or not see it very often, this resort can meet your needs. As with all the Value resorts, ASM has kitschy theming. Some love it, some hate it, some are so focused on the parks that they ignore it completely. To each their own! ASM can be a win or lose based on the transportation; if it is operating on the same bus trip as the other All-Star resorts, it makes it a difficult resort to justify for hardcore park tourists. The rooms are also very basic, if you are looking to spend a great deal of time in the room, I would avoid this resort.

As a result of this, I would recommend ASM for the following people:

• People whose budget is their chief concern.
  • Families who would appreciate the movies, theming, or plan to spend time at a pretty good pool.
  • Park tourists coming at a busier time.
Another wrench in this resort’s works are the Pop Century and Art of Animation resorts. PC is undergoing a room refurbishment that looks incredible. AoA is the newest resort on property and has much more appeal to hardcore Disney animation fans. Hardcore fans like Sarah! Both of these resorts have dedicated bus service year-round and slightly more developed food options. If you are able, I would recommend upgrading to AoA or PC.

Tips

First, I would recommend splurging on a preferred room. This can be about $30 extra per night. If you able, that will get you much closer to the main building. If you cannot splurge, you can always ask for the Mighty Ducks area when you complete your check-in. The irony is, you are actually closer to All-Star Music! You can board or get off the bus there. Lastly, take a walk while the resort is quiet. I walked around in the early morning as the sun was rising and it was really peaceful. I also got some great shots of the icons.

Have you stayed at Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort? Share your experience! We would love to hear from you! Just add to the Comments section below.

Last edited:
Very good report. My family is pretty commando and we’re in the parks from rope drop to fireworks. We had stayed in moderates all of our trips before but decided to try ASMo last summer~ we were sold instantly! It was way nicer than we expected and met all of our needs. We were very pleased with all aspects of our stay~ there are a few minor inconveniences such as only one sink, smaller beds~ but overall it was a fantastic experience! We stayed in Toy Story and I agree~ the walk from there is shorter than the others. We will definitely spring for preferred rooms to help make sure our walks arent’ too bad~ and I think Toy Story will be our request as well.
We are going on a trip in May with our whole family and we have three rooms at ASMo. Can’t wait to return!

Thank you so much for your review and pictures! We are currently doing four nights at POP preferred followed by six nights at deluxe but I have been tempted to change to Movies preferred because my youngest loves Toy Story right now but we are going before Toy Story Land opens. Decisions decisions...

Thank you so much for your review and pictures! We are currently doing four nights at POP preferred followed by six nights at deluxe but I have been tempted to change to Movies preferred because my youngest loves Toy Story right now but we are going before Toy Story Land opens. Decisions decisions...

That is a tough choice! The new rooms at Pop are pretty awesome. Which Deluxe?

Very good report. My family is pretty commando and we’re in the parks from rope drop to fireworks. We had stayed in moderates all of our trips before but decided to try ASMo last summer~ we were sold instantly! It was way nicer than we expected and met all of our needs. We were very pleased with all aspects of our stay~ there are a few minor inconveniences such as only one sink, smaller beds~ but overall it was a fantastic experience! We stayed in Toy Story and I agree~ the walk from there is shorter than the others. We will definitely spring for preferred rooms to help make sure our walks arent’ too bad~ and I think Toy Story will be our request as well.
We are going on a trip in May with our whole family and we have three rooms at ASMo. Can’t wait to return!

Yeah the resort can be great if you aren't expecting luxury! We went from there to GF on our last trip and that definitely was a massive leap. But it is great for someone who doesn't really care if they have multiple sinks or large beds. The preferred room is probably the "luxury" my wife and I spring for the most.

That is a tough choice! The new rooms at Pop are pretty awesome. Which Deluxe?
We are doing a split betwen Akl and Grand Floridian... We have never done a value but we aren't particularly fussy. I think the double bed would be the biggest thing to get used to :)

We are doing a split betwen Akl and Grand Floridian... We have never done a value but we aren't particularly fussy. I think the double bed would be the biggest thing to get used to :)

That is amazing have so much fun! We stayed at GF during our last stay, but AKL is high on my list.

Yeah the double bed is tough (I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'9"), but we managed. Just had our feet hanging over the edge of the bed! :jester:

It's the professional copywriter in me, but you reference All Star Music several times in this article. You may want to go back and correct that.

We've stayed at All Star Movies and loved it. I would actually stay in an All Star over Pop or AoA.

It's the professional copywriter in me, but you reference All Star Music several times in this article. You may want to go back and correct that.

We've stayed at All Star Movies and loved it. I would actually stay in an All Star over Pop or AoA.
Great catch! Changed!

So, for online check-in... if I want Toy Story characters outside the window, I'd need to request Toy Story section with a landscape view to not face the parking lot?

I would recommend putting Toy Story on your online check-in and then call Disney to add the extra request. That is the best way to "ensure" a particular reservation. They may not honor it, but you can try!

So, for online check-in... if I want Toy Story characters outside the window, I'd need to request Toy Story section with a landscape view to not face the parking lot?

I would recommend putting Toy Story on your online check-in and then call Disney to make the more specific request. They cannot ensure that this happens, but that is the best way to try to make that specific ask.

You can always go to the front desk and see what they have available. They are usually as accommodating as possible.

I would recommend putting Toy Story on your online check-in and then call Disney to make the more specific request. They cannot ensure that this happens, but that is the best way to try to make that specific ask.

You can always go to the front desk and see what they have available. They are usually as accommodating as possible.

Thank you! My kids are total Toy Story nuts, so that would be my whole reason for leaving Pop and going to ASMo

Your photos are gorgeous, and the review content is very on point. I’m so enjoying reading them all- keep it up :)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!