Disneyland. The GOOD, the BAD and the MAD...

Rich Page

Earning My Ears
Just home from our trip to Pasadena and Anaheim and thought I'd write up some notes about our adventure. I haven't really done a trip report before so here goes nothing.

First things first, a little bit about us and the reason for the trip. My name is Rich, Dad to Ellice and husband to Jay. I'm a toy/collectable designer (umetoys.net) and a longtime Disney fan. We've visited the Paris parks a few times but would call WDW our home parks as we've been lucky enough to visit Florida a lot over the years.

When we got the invite to visit Designer Con 2015 in Pasadena for the weekend of November 21st we jumped at the chance and knew we would be doubling it up as a 'first visit' holiday to Disneyland and California Adventure.

This trip was also going to be a new challenge for us as it would be our first time flying internationally with a wheelchair and also visiting the parks with one. My wife's health has really taken a turn for the the worse this year and continues to, so much so, she needs a wheelchair all the time and can't really walk (unless helped) more than a couple of steps.

I'm writing this report to maybe help first time visitors a little, with some of what we found out along the way with our trip.

We flew from Heathrow to LAX and because we had the wheelchair and 3 adults I decided to book the transfers around California before we left. I used a company called 24-7 Ride and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. Everything is paid for upfront (apart for gratuity). We had a van each time, which were all clean and tidy and the drivers pleasant and chatty. Each night before travel we received and email telling us the drivers name and contact number, but didn't need it as they always arrived early.

First off if you like art and designer toys I recommend a visit to designer con at Pasadena. Awesome town and an even better convention, the best con that I've been to (and I've been to most). A really different atmosphere but be warned, so much great art your wallet will take a battering. We stopped at the Hilton in Pasadena for three nights. The rooms were nice and big, comfy beds and shower that blew your head off your shoulders (which was great for the jet lag). The only complaint about the Hilton we had, was the room decor, which I know is minor but it really felt like a 1980s hotel room. Odd furniture and choice of paintings etc. but like I say the rest of the hotel was great and even had a Starbucks in the lobby.

Coming over from the UK has one advantage the first three or four nights sleep is messed up via jet lag being wide awake at 4am makes it easy get out and explore before everyone is up and about. I sneaked out the room every morning and had a nice long walk around. Pasadena is a really clean town, I mean Disney clean. I can't think of another city I've been to that matches it for tidiness. There's plenty to see as you walk from lovely art deco style buildings, a massive Culinary Arts college to peep in the windows at as well as all the huge churches. If you like a good coffee fix first thing in the morning there's also plenty of choice with early doors and some fantastic muffin options that the girls enjoyed when I got back to the room.

The convention weekend flew past and it was Monday before we knew it. We had purchased 5 day park hopper tickets so weren't in a rush to get to Disneyland. We had a nice drive down to Anahiem and our next hotel the Eden Roc Suites. We booked both our hotels through Expedia before travel and this place had mixed reviews so I was hoping it'd be good. It is right across the road from Disneyland and the prices are very reasonable. We checked in (well kind of as we had to wait until 3pm so walked down the road to grab some food). The rooms at the Eden Roc are great. All are very modern, and must have been recently renovated. Two big beds, HD TV, fridge, microwave and coffee machine. The flooring is a fake wooden one which was great for the wheelchair but not so much for the tap dancing routines from the kids above us. The manager was great and helped us in. The only negative thing I'd say about the hotel is the cleaning staff seemed over worked and don't always get around to rooms until late on, which if your out in the parks doesn't matter.

After checking in we walked up to downtown Disney for the night. Was it busy? Thanksgiving week in full effect. Jet lag beat us and we headed home early to rest up for the first day in the parks.

Tuesday morning came and we packed ready for adventure. There was a little confusion on how to get to the parks (first visit and all) the hotel receptionist told us to walk up to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa take a right through there and head for the Monorail in Downtown Disney. So that's what we did. The Californian is a lovely hotel which also has an entrance for hotel guests only to get into the park (I think anyone can use this after a certain time). The only thing I wasn't sure of is why Disney hasn't got a cut through without going through the hotel (there is one about a half mile further down to Downtown) as all the surrounding hotel guests were doing the same as us, cutting through the lobby?

We didn't need to take the monorail we later found out, if you head to down town Disney turn left towards the world of Disney store and keep walking this brings you to the gates of both parks. But on day one we headed to the monorail and enjoyed the ride into Disneyland. Last stop just above the Nemo Submarine ride.

We had been told to go to town hall on main street and talk to them about navigating the park with a wheelchair. When we got there the crowds were already crazy and it took about 50 minutes to get seen, to be told we didn't need to do anything other than talk to a cast member on each ride. A little frustrating to say the least. Each ride is different on how they take in disabled visitors and I wish I had known ahead of time as trying to get around the packed park to then be redirected was hard work. It's a shame not all lines are wheel chair friendly as we would have preferred to do it that way. But here's what we found out.

Jungle Cruise - exit and get a return
Pirates of the Caribbean - exit and get a return
Indian Jones - exit and get a return
Haunted Mansion - exit and get a return
Nemo - exit and get a return
Thunder Mountain - exit and get a return
Matterhorn - normal line, splits near end for transfer
All fantasyland rides - exit and get a return
Tiki room - normal line

If the ride distributes fast passes you can get one of these and return when ready instead of going and getting an exit return. If you can do this option I'd recommend it as when the park is busy the lines to get a ticket scanned for return, back up and block the area which isn't good for anyone's experience (especially around the back of pirates).

TOP TIP: After our first few rides we learnt that if you have trouble transferring (I literally have to pick my wife's feet up to help her get into the ride) make sure you let a cast member know as they want to cause the least disruption to the ride and will get you to walk quite far to get on (thunder mountain and haunted mansion being the worse). But once we worked that out and told them they are more than happy to help you get right to a ride car. If you had seen us on haunted mansion you would have laughed. We had to leave the chair outside, walk to the stretching room (my wife between us looking like a drunk) then to the doom buggies which for some reason they didn't slow down even though we asked, then we were all told to get in one buggy. Haha! 3 adults in one car. Snug!

Here comes the worse part for us. Wow! People in the parks can be rude and actually really nasty. If anyone thinks a wheelchair is a great way to have a fast pass to rides they should be made to push the person they love the most, around in one for a day (let alone live with all the day to day stuff that being ill brings). If you are able to walk easily in a crowded space please be a little aware of your surroundings, the amount of times I had people stopping dead In front of me was unreal (and I am sure they wouldn't have wanted me not to stop). I'm a patient person but had it tested a lot in the Disneyland park. People literally climbing over my wife to get to a gift shop etc. don't get me wrong I know everyone wants to get the most out of their visits but if it's memories you are after you can slow down a little. My personal favourite is people saying to my wife 'it's alright for you, you don't have to line up as you have a wheelchair' indeed it's so awesome being not able bodied that it sure makes up for it. I'm not sure these people see that in the lines where you can wait in the normal line that you end up waiting longer than an able bodied visitor as you have to wait again for a ride vehicle that can accommodate you.

A couple of things I saw actually shocked me and made me sad for the human race. The parade route has some areas for wheelchair users. So we got there early and grabbed a spot. My wife had my daughter behind her and we had a laugh with some families around us. As the parade time got near it got busy and they needed to get more people in. I said I'd go and find somewhere to stand to let more wheelchairs in. I got talking to the cast member running the area who was really nice. Then the parade started and I was stood right at the back. A family came along with a wheelchair with a really sick young child and he asked the cast member if there was room to come in. While she went to go and look for them another man pushing a normal buggy just pushed it into the legs of the father and said 'fu&kibg move we all want to see the parade' I just looked at the dad and then looked at him shaking my head. 'Wow! Really?' Making magical memories pal!

The second thing to sicken me this trip was at the Aladdin show (review later). What a mess that can be. We watched it around 10 times, as my daughter is a massive fan. The line for this show is massive but easily gets eaten up as the theatre is equally huge. When the doors open they fill up the theatre from the top down with some reserved seats at the bottom for wheelchairs and people who are disabled (1person and 1 helper only). When you enter the theatre at the bottom it's like watching Moses parting the Red Sea. Everyone running (literally) down from the upper areas scrambling over the dividing walls and pushing past poor cast members stood there for the lower seats. This is where I saw the lowest point of the trip and bravo to the w&nker and his wife that did it. There was a young child who was obviously struggling with his walking and sight (as well as other things) walking very slowly held up by his mother after leaving his wheelchair outside. As they got into the theatre the sad 40+ year old Aladdin fan and friend decided they'd had enough waiting behind the cast member (who had told them to stop) and jumped over the wall, straight knocking the kid over. Did they stop to help or apologise? No. But at least they managed to get a seat nearer the front. Proud dad moment when my daughter helped them and made sure no one could push past by standing behind them with her arms out, much to the annoyance of tidal wave of idiots. After parking my wife up there wasn't any room down stairs for us so we went up and took one of the many empty seats in the first level. Brilliant view of the show, so not sure why people feel the need to bring their 'black Friday' game to the parks?

The brightest part of the trip for me was watching the children. A lot of adults can learn from them. They take the time to look at the details in the parks, have fun and enjoy themselves. Children and teenagers get a lot of stick for being rude but they were (apart from 2 adults) the only park goers that offered courtesy and help to my wife. Really great to see and I think they deserve a pat on the back.

Don't get me wrong we had a great time in the parks. We found some lovely out the way areas and enjoyed just being there. We managed to do a lot of the rides and had a great time chatting to cast members and got some awesome merchandise.

After spending a day at Disneyland the next park on the list was California Adventure. Even though I've seen the videos, listened to the podcasts and read the blogs I wasn't really sure what to expect from this park.

As soon as we walked in I knew it was going to be great. I love the feel of Hollywood studios at WDW and this felt like a bigger version of that 30's area. If you have a wheelchair this park is also a lot more friendly as there are more ramps down onto the roads and the park also manages the crowds way better.

It's worth noting that this park doesn't do the exit assist ticket thing, regular lines and fast pass which for us works much better. The craziest line really was for Starbucks haha!

All the ride lines are good here and even when the park is busy the wait times weren't too bad apart from radiator springs racers who's fast pass tickets fly off as well quickly but even at 90 minutes the ride is worth the wait.

We all really enjoyed the park from the waterfront rides to the shows it's great. Aladdin is a must, what a great way to spend 45 minutes. I can't for the life of me work out why they are getting rid of it and replace it with Frozen (enough already) and judging by the crowds most people feel the same way.

This park looks so nice at night! The shows are great and the atmosphere is chilled out with plenty of room to relax and enjoy yourself. Tower of terror was excellent and the loading system again is spot on, it seems to really get the ride line moving fast.

If you are heading back from California adventure you don't have to go out via the gate and downtown you can walk up past grizzly peak and through the hotel. We did this more than once and grabbed the chance to look at the lovely Christmas decorations in the lobby as well as buying some tasty treats and enjoying the atmosphere.

Last up on the trip report is the downtown Disney area which is a really great hub for shopping, eating and getting into the parks. The thing I liked the most about either using the monorail or downtown park entrance is you only have to go through back check once something I wished they'd do at WDW if they could (maybe monorail to Epcot at Magic Kingdom) as once you are through the checking area both parks are connected via secure plaza in between the gates. Top picks at downtown for us are the World of Disney store; Wonderland Gallery (great to see so many friends having their art in there) and lastly D Street. We grabbed a sandwich at the Earl's which are always tasty but I think the menu is slightly different to the one a WDW (might be wrong) as my wife was looking forward to the one with banana pickles but couldn't find it.

To sum up the trip? Great times were had even if our patience was tested a little. The good (the kids), the bad (the adults) and the mad (the crowds)... Would we go back? Yes please.

Glad you had a nice trip
Interesting report
That's nuts that people were acting like that in the Aladdin show! It's not like it's limited, you can go back and see it again and again.

Glad you had a nice trip
Interesting report
That's nuts that people were acting like that in the Aladdin show! It's not like it's limited, you can go back and see it again and again.
Cheers :-) indeed we did ten times. What a great show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter