Disneyland show?

I was thinking a little more about an Alaskan and Anaheim combined vacation and it sure brought a smile to my face, chuckling thinking of doing Flying Fish and a Broadway show on the same trip. Roaring with laughter at planning to see Harry Potter and the Statue of Liberty back to back. Could I squeeze in Blizzard Beach and the 9/11 Memorial?

Though I can't imagine trying to pack for all these different climates and events in one suitcase. o_O

And Pete, to you who does these kind of trips back to back, I can only toast you on your success and wealth that make adventures like that feasible for you. I think that's great for you and happy sailing. :sail:
In the words of Pete: "Bitter: Party of one?"

Luckily, it's his show and he can do with it what he likes.
As someone who would visit from another country, I'm loving the new format. It gives me ideas on things to plan in or around Disneyland, be it a cruise or something more local.

I have to agree with the Disneyland folks who are not happy with the current format. I love the Orlando crew. I’ve been following the WDW podcast for almost 6 years now and have gone back and listened to all the shows from the beginning, so I’ve got no issues with the styles/personalities of the WDW folks. Pete and Ryno are a couple of my favorites. I found the WDW edition to be very helpful when planning my first couple of trips and now appreciate the way they keep me informed about all the changes, big and small, that come to the parks.

We planned our first family to trip Disneyland in 2017 and I started listening to that show then as I began to put that trip together. I loved how well the Disneyland crew seemed to know their stuff and, as an uber-fan and uber-planner appreciated the same attention to the details of Disneyland that I found in the WDW podcast. With the shift of the show to primarily featuring Orlando folks I feel like it’s lost that. We get the big stories about the resort (e.g. World of Color coming back) but seem to have lost the smaller details I value when planning trips (e.g. traffic patterns, menu changes). We’re now looking toward our 3rd DLR trip and I’ve found myself wishing I had a DLR focused podcast similar to what we get for WDW. I just think that’s really tough to achieve when the folks running the show consider the parks on the other coast to be their home parks.

It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but I did want to at least say that I understand where the Disneyland folks are coming from. Though I love DLR, WDW holds my heart and I know I would be pretty disappointed if the WDW show switched to being hosted by DL focused folks.

I just listened to this week's show. I really like the point of view that Tom Bell brings to the DL podcast. But this week did come across as more of a Disney Cruise Line episode than being more DL focused. I think that the DL podcast needs more stuff along the lines of:
- new limited time 'celebration' stuff going on. This happens all the time at DL...Lunar New Year, Mickey's birthday food offerings at multiple locations, DCA Food & Wine starts in 2 1/2 weeks, Easter (DL usually has fun food around Easter & there's usually a fun Easter-themed scavenger hunt in both parks), the huge gospel choir all-day thing that happened some time over last weekend, etc., etc.
- brief discussion or at least a mention of the stupid overpriced $125 princess meal at Napa Rose
- other fun non-alcohol things to do around southern CA. They used to cover this a couple of years ago in Mary Jo's day 6 adventure discussions.

I'm glad that they stopped spending almost the whole podcast talking about booze. :rotfl2: So much of a couple of previous episodes seemed to be all about hanging out in bars.:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

images

The elephant in the room.

I really hope not but it does sort of look that way.

Katrina published an article on the Dis yesterday, I think everything is normal. And Tyler still manages the FB pages. This is just YouTube comments run amuck.
I think they are just rotating locals. The absence just seems more significant because of how few DL show there has been this year.
And.. lol the topic of her article made me chuckle. Poor Tyler has the pressure on :)

Last edited:
Katrina published an article on the Dis yesterday, I think everything is normal. And Tyler still manages the FB pages. This is just YouTube comments run amuck.
I think they are just rotating locals. The absence just seems more significant because of how few DL show there has been this year.
And.. lol the topic of her article made me chuckle. Poor Tyler has the pressure on :)

Oh good, I know they get an unfair amount of hate but I really really enjoy both of them!

I had quit listening to the show for a while, but I have listened to the last couple episodes and they seem to have a much better thing going now. Having Tom there really helps a lot and you can tell the FL people have been going to DLR a lot more than before. I still think they need a separate non DLR SoCal vacation planning show with Mary Jo and Tom to cover all the things that went away with the new format.

think they need a separate non DLR SoCal vacation planning show with Mary Jo and Tom to cover all the things that went away with the new format.
Given things outside of DLR wouldn't really drum up any business for Dreams, I'd say that its not worthwhile to them to bother with.

The addition of Tom lately has really helped the show IMO. That isn't a knock on Tyler and Katrina either, it is just given Tom's experience in doing the previous DL show for so long he adds a certain amount of gravitas to the show. I think the mixture of new and old works much better than the earlier versions of the new show (which is to be expected as any new show has to find its footing). It also seems to be more focussed on current events and news that is going on at the resort instead of "favorite things" type episodes so it comes off more as a fleshed out show focusing on the resort, like the WDW show, than something like the "Best and Worst" or the Dining show that seem like sub-categories of the WDW show, if that makes sense.

Also, in regards to the current episode, Pete was asking about the hotel booking patterns and why there were rooms available after Galaxy's Edge open but none now. When we were at the resort last week we were talking with several different cast members about why it seemed so crowded, even compared to previous spring breaks, and they mentioned that they are hearing that a lot of people are trying to get their visits in before Galaxy's Edge opens to try to avoid the huge crowds once it opens. This is just anecdotal of course, but we heard this from numerous cast members at different locations and on different days so that theory at least seems to have a little bit of traction among those working at the resort.

The addition of Tom lately has really helped the show IMO. That isn't a knock on Tyler and Katrina either, it is just given Tom's experience in doing the previous DL show for so long he adds a certain amount of gravitas to the show. I think the mixture of new and old works much better than the earlier versions of the new show (which is to be expected as any new show has to find its footing). It also seems to be more focussed on current events and news that is going on at the resort instead of "favorite things" type episodes so it comes off more as a fleshed out show focusing on the resort, like the WDW show, than something like the "Best and Worst" or the Dining show that seem like sub-categories of the WDW show, if that makes sense.

Also, in regards to the current episode, Pete was asking about the hotel booking patterns and why there were rooms available after Galaxy's Edge open but none now. When we were at the resort last week we were talking with several different cast members about why it seemed so crowded, even compared to previous spring breaks, and they mentioned that they are hearing that a lot of people are trying to get their visits in before Galaxy's Edge opens to try to avoid the huge crowds once it opens. This is just anecdotal of course, but we heard this from numerous cast members at different locations and on different days so that theory at least seems to have a little bit of traction among those working at the resort.

I think there is a lot of logic to your anecdotal take - even Craig and Micheal on the Connecting with Walt show have both mentioned wanting to get to Disneyland before GE opens.

As crazy as it will be crowd wise at DHS I think it has the potential to be soooo mug worse at disneyland as I just don’t know where all the extra crowds will go - the park is already often quite crowded and narrow pathways, etc. and obviously as more of a locals park there are a lot of people with strong connection the park and it’s history - and this is going to change it forever - so can see why even more people want to get there to see the park again before it changes

Yes, Tom is a great improvement. I thought Sam as a guest star was great. His take on the carousal/Pixar Pier well represented the fan base take on it.

I heard Pete is staying at the Anaheim Hotel. I am a little curious how Pete is picking his off-site hotels because they have been really surprising choices thus far. It’s selling points are a big pool, Pizza Press, a bar lounge and very walk-able to DL, would I consider it? Absolutely! Would I think Pete on a Keto diet, who doesn't drink and not inclined to take a swim with a bunch of kids like it? Uh no. If he likes it, I will be surprised.

Previous comments on the boards have kept it kinda off my radar TBH. DL fans often treat off-site hotel rooms like inside cruise staterooms, no thrills or frills necessary, just looking for something clean to shower and sleep. If it's clean, comfortable beds, and close, it usually get high, enthusiastic praise on the boards in my experience. Easy parking, good wifi (for Maxpass) or breakfast are considered bonuses. When they say, "it's....okay" for me it's a red flag.

Here is one of the recent discussions on it.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-is-the-anaheim-hotel.3730238/

Last edited:
Given things outside of DLR wouldn't really drum up any business for Dreams, I'd say that its not worthwhile to them to bother with.
While I generally agree with you, that we aren’t their target market, I am unclear how “Moving to Orlando” and the “DVC Show” are growing Dreams Unlimited Travel, I would say SoCal add-ons like Knotts, Universal, Seaworld, etc to a DL vacation at least make more sense then those two products for Dreams.

While I generally agree with you, that we aren’t their target market, I am unclear how “Moving to Orlando” and the “DVC Show” are growing Dreams Unlimited Travel, I would say SoCal add-ons like Knotts, Universal, Seaworld, etc to a DL vacation at least make more sense then those two products for Dreams.
I can see your point with the Moving to the Magic Show, but I know plenty of people that have moved to Orlando and still like to stay onsite at least once a year. So, I don't know if their travel agency is really effected from that.

With the DVC Show, it's sponsored by the Timeshare Store I believe. I'm sure there is a financial agreement between both of them somewhere.

I am actually enjoying both of those shows, and I hope they keep them coming for as long as the team feels necessary.

So Cal add-ons to the DL Show: This makes sense because the average visitor to Disneyland doesn't spend a week at the parks. Disney doesn't even sell a 7-day ticket. So, if you are from further away, it's always harder to plan a week trip. So, hearing the team talk about Knott's, Seaworld, Universal, Six Flags, Legoland, the beach, Hollywood, etc. can be beneficial to a lot of people that are looking to extend their trip past 5 days.

I heard Pete is staying at the Anaheim Hotel.

I have stayed at it before the rebranding a TON of times, I mainly picked it because it was usually the cheapest hotel that was an easy walk to the parks. I never had a problem with it and picked it over and over again, it is like you said just a place to sleep and wake up at because there is no way I'm going to the parks to hang out at the hotel! When you compare it to staying on property, I would usually stay 3 nights at the hotel. You are talking somewhere between $700 and $1200 less than staying on property over that time which allowed me to go to the parks a lot more often! I'm hoping they focus on that and not the huge difference in quality.

the “DVC Show” are growing Dreams Unlimited Travel,

With the DVC Show, it's sponsored by the Timeshare Store I believe. I'm sure there is a financial agreement between both of them somewhere.
Agreed on the moving to the magic show, but i think that one is probably a love project for Pete more than anything.

However the above points are really valid. there is, and has almost always been, a financial relationship with the Timeshare store, so that literally brings money to the DIS, Dreams and any subsidiary Pete has his finger in.

Pete did mention that he was going to go to Knotts for the first time this trip (whether that goes ahead or not is yet to be seen) but that would be something non-DLR related for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts