Disneyland show?

I love that Disneyland wants to give up the gate tax exemption.

First, there is no gate tax in the city of Anaheim. This was a "just in case Anaheim ever pass one" exemption.

Second, if there WAS a gate tax...wouldn't the guests be paying it anyway??
Did you see the paragraph about wages though? This is all about Disney getting what it wants. Gives up exemptions to get out of being forced to pay higher wages.

I think it's them untangling themselves from Anaheim. As if realizing the tax breaks are not worth the oversight on the wage issues. To me it's not really about giving Anaheim a big olive branch to kiss and make up, it about creating clearer and perhaps healthier boundaries.

I love that Disneyland wants to give up the gate tax exemption.

First, there is no gate tax in the city of Anaheim. This was a "just in case Anaheim ever pass one" exemption.

Second, if there WAS a gate tax...wouldn't the guests be paying it anyway??

Disney has always feared that a gate tax will affect their pricing. It’s always been a delicate balance to charge people as much as they can without turning them away. They figure the $1B that some people estimate the gate tax could generate over time could have been their $1B.

They’ve had one agreement or another to avoid that tax since 1996 (and the current one still had up to 42 years left in it). But Disney wasn’t the only one to negotiate it, it affects the LA Angels, Anaheim Ducks, Knotts, etc. and a huge lobby of unions and the chamber of commerce. Disney just showed all of them their vote don’t matter.

However it helps Disney with the living wage ballot measure, Disney will still see some PR benefits from the end to a very devisive agreement over money that (as you noted) isn’t paid by Disney.

Tom made an appearance so I listened this week and was disappointed. They barely let him speak and I finally turned it off. He hasn't been on the DL show in almost a year. We hear from the others constantly, sometimes several times a week. I just wanted to hear from someone else. It doesn't mean I hate anyone to want to hear from others.

The other thing is the entire show was heavy on the drinking, over and over, beers and breweries. I just didn’t relate to it at all.

I miss having DL content.

Last edited:
Tom made an appearance so I listened this week and was disappointed. They barely let him speak and I finally turned it off. He hasn't been on the DL show in almost a year. We hear from the others constantly, sometimes several times a week. I just wanted to hear from someone else. It doesn't mean I hate anyone to want to hear from others.

The other thing is the entire show was heavy on the drinking, over and over, beers and breweries. I just didn’t relate to it at all.

Funny I just finished watching this episode and half way through it I was thinking hmmmm did they forget about Tom? At the beginning I was psyched to see him. I haven't really been watching the DL episodes but figured since Tom was on I'd give it a chance. I have nothing against the people in the show now I just felt the style that the old DL podcast had was more of a group of friends that invited you in to share the magic of DL.

Funny I just finished watching this episode and half way through it I was thinking hmmmm did they forget about Tom? At the beginning I was psyched to see him. I haven't really been watching the DL episodes but figured since Tom was on I'd give it a chance. I have nothing against the people in the show now I just felt the style that the old DL podcast had was more of a group of friends that invited you in to share the magic of DL.

I haven't listened/watched in months, too bad they didn't give Tom more time. I would have liked to hear him at length on the show again, I really miss the old format.

Loved the show this week! So helpful. We’re definitely going to hit up the Packing District and Pokinimetry thanks to your suggestions.
It was great to hear of some new things offsite that we can try. We discovered poke a few years ago in Hawaii and cannot finding anything close on the mainland. We will definitely be trying PokiNometry.

Funny I just finished watching this episode and half way through it I was thinking hmmmm did they forget about Tom?

I have thought the same thing happen with Louella, Mary Jo and with Nancy. I do not believe that Pete or Ryno are forgetting about these other people. It probably has to do with the technology being used, the format of the show and how the topics are structured.

I agree. I learned a lot from this week's show about some interesting places to eat nearby. But it seemed like it was all about alcohol and based on their descriptions of the restaurants/bars, I don't think I'd ever go to any of them with my kids. I really miss the days when there was a mix of topics, when they'd also include info about favorite things to do near Disneyland that a family with kids could enjoy.

I agree. I learned a lot from this week's show about some interesting places to eat nearby. But it seemed like it was all about alcohol and based on their descriptions of the restaurants/bars, I don't think I'd ever go to any of them with my kids. I really miss the days when there was a mix of topics, when they'd also include info about favorite things to do near Disneyland that a family with kids could enjoy.

Yeah, we stopped watching it. I like all the people involved, that's not an issue at all. The topics just don't pull me in. I think the content of the old show was great and so helpful. I wish they could match that content with the current technology they are using. And use the previous group more, if they are available or interested.

But I'm sure there are people who like what they are doing now. They can't please everybody! So I'll shut up now. :ssst:

I really miss the days when there was a mix of topics, when they'd also include info about favorite things to do near Disneyland that a family with kids could enjoy.

I have kids and plan to do lots of what they talked about. There’s very little they mentioned that you couldn’t bring a kid to - plus, you’re at Disneyland for gods sake, there’s no shortage of stuff to do with kids. I’m glad they speak to lots of different experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter