Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Good point, this could just be a way to cover their bases.

Plus don’t the majority of WDW guests stay onsite? I’m not as familiar with their demographics but that’s what I always assumed.

I think the numbers are just so different from DL. We are talking 25 hotels and 9(?) DVC properties for 4(?) parks.

DL is 3 hotels and the smallest DVC property in the network that barely counts (like 70-ish units) feeding 2 parks.

I have some thoughts:

1) The numbers of on-site rooms vs capacity controlled DL/DCA support priority access.

2) DLR’s closest analog (Shanghai DL) has priority access for hotel guests.

3) This isn’t a new idea. Guests staying on-site are not guaranteed access during max capacity periods of time (Christmas/New Year) either.

4) Just because Disney makes that disclaimer in policy does not mean they are allowed to peruse a more generous procedure.
Example: by rule, Disney owed nothing to AP holders as those passes never guarantee park access in its TOS. Instead, they chose to offer suspended payments, pushed forward expiration dates, etc... even though the “no guarantee” rule is on its books.​
And I’m being picky, but a hotel reservation doesn’t mean a checked-in guest. SDL’s procedures are to go to the front desk and buy tickets from there.

Very valid points!

To add to the above...

What I suspect will occur at WDW is this:
  • on site hotel guests will get priority for going online or through the My Disney Experience app to make a theme park reservation for their party for each day.
  • on site hotel guests will be given a window to do this before it is opened up to off site guests
  • I also wouldn't be surprised if WDW AP holders are also given a priority window to make a theme park reservation.
I also suspect that DL may handle it in a similar fashion. So...for example, a Disney disclaimer that an on site hotel reservation does not GUARANTEE you access to a theme park WOULD still be a correct statement in a scenario like this. Why?

Because YOU yourself, the guest, would still have to take action to make the theme park reservation during your priority window. If you snooze and you miss it because you forget or something, Disney can tell you, "Sorry, but we're not holding any extra theme park reservations for on site guests who did not make a reservation during the priority window."

It works the same way in the past at WDW for FP+ reservations. On site guests can make their FP+ reservations starting 60 days before day 1 of their on site stay. And you can make FP+ reservations (3 per day) for the entire length of your on site stay on that "day 1 - 60 days" date.

BUT....if you screw up and you don't remember to do it until 30 days beforehand (which is when FP+ opens up for everybody else), you can't call Disney and complain and say "Give me the FP+ that I want!" You can't demand that they give you FP+ for 7 Dwarfs Mine Train when there aren't any left now for your entire 10-day vacation.

My bet is that DL on site guests will get 1st crack at doing a theme park reservation, followed by AP people, and then everybody else. And for the 1st month, the AP'ers will use up almost all of the available DL reservations each day. I think that DCA will be easier to get a reservation for, similar to how DCA was always easier to get into if you had a Flex Pass. Middle of the week will also be easier for EVERYONE to get reservations for, compared to weekends.

These are all just hunches and my own personal opinion. I have no connection to the Disney company nor do I know any CMs or anything like that. I have ZERO inside scoop on ANY of this. This is just my own personal speculation.

Very valid points!

To add to the above...

What I suspect will occur at WDW is this:
  • on site hotel guests will get priority for going online or through the My Disney Experience app to make a theme park reservation for their party for each day.
  • on site hotel guests will be given a window to do this before it is opened up to off site guests
  • I also wouldn't be surprised if WDW AP holders are also given a priority window to make a theme park reservation.
I also suspect that DL may handle it in a similar fashion. So...for example, a Disney disclaimer that an on site hotel reservation does not GUARANTEE you access to a theme park WOULD still be a correct statement in a scenario like this. Why?

Because YOU yourself, the guest, would still have to take action to make the theme park reservation during your priority window. If you snooze and you miss it because you forget or something, Disney can tell you, "Sorry, but we're not holding any extra theme park reservations for on site guests who did not make a reservation during the priority window."

It works the same way in the past at WDW for FP+ reservations. On site guests can make their FP+ reservations starting 60 days before day 1 of their on site stay. And you can make FP+ reservations (3 per day) for the entire length of your on site stay on that "day 1 - 60 days" date.

BUT....if you screw up and you don't remember to do it until 30 days beforehand (which is when FP+ opens up for everybody else), you can't call Disney and complain and say "Give me the FP+ that I want!" You can't demand that they give you FP+ for 7 Dwarfs Mine Train when there aren't any left now for your entire 10-day vacation.

My bet is that DL on site guests will get 1st crack at doing a theme park reservation, followed by AP people, and then everybody else. And for the 1st month, the AP'ers will use up almost all of the available DL reservations each day. I think that DCA will be easier to get a reservation for, similar to how DCA was always easier to get into if you had a Flex Pass. Middle of the week will also be easier for EVERYONE to get reservations for, compared to weekends.

These are all just hunches and my own personal opinion. I have no connection to the Disney company nor do I know any CMs or anything like that. I have ZERO inside scoop on ANY of this. This is just my own personal speculation.

Where do you think people who already hold multi-day tickets fit in for reservations? I have to think that a lot of us are coming from out of state, and there’s no way we can make the flight, book the hotel, etc. if there’s just a chance at a park reservation each morning. I’m hopeful that we will have the opportunity to reserve for the entire duration of our tickets, probably after on site hotel guests but before APs or at the same time as APs.

Where do you think people who already hold multi-day tickets fit in for reservations? I have to think that a lot of us are coming from out of state, and there’s no way we can make the flight, book the hotel, etc. if there’s just a chance at a park reservation each morning. I’m hopeful that we will have the opportunity to reserve for the entire duration of our tickets, probably after on site hotel guests but before APs or at the same time as APs.

I have no idea but I bet we will all find out soon enough!

Reactions: EmJ
I agree with your train of thought but remember that not all APs are locals. We will fly in from Oregon in October for 4 nights and 2 of us have APs while 5 have day tickets. Hopefully you are right about some consideration being given to long distance travelers. I did email Disney about this very subject not really expecting an answer at this point but hoping they would add this type of scenario to their list of considerations when making their reservation decisions .

Where do you think people who already hold multi-day tickets fit in for reservations?

Blog Mickey, a reputable park blog, has posted info re: WDW. They also post DL info when released by Disney to TAs.

The concern with DL is that the DL app doesn’t link up onsite resort reservations. DL would have to add that database if hotel + tickets are needed for a priority phase of park reservation booking similar to how onsite FP+ booking at WDW functions.

From Blog Mickey:
“As of right now, Disney has not opened the reservation system, but they have said that guests with existing tickets and Annual Passholders will have first access to the system.”

https://blogmickey.com/2020/06/disney-world-hotel-reservation-will-not-guarantee-theme-park-access/

I agree with your train of thought but remember that not all APs are locals. We will fly in from Oregon in October for 4 nights and 2 of us have APs while 5 have day tickets. Hopefully you are right about some consideration being given to long distance travelers. I did email Disney about this very subject not really expecting an answer at this point but hoping they would add this type of scenario to their list of considerations when making their reservation decisions .
Understood. I’m thinking more along the lines of Disney saying that APs can book up to five days within a 30 day period. They could be all in a row, or broken up. Or something. Unfortunately for APs who are local, I doubt that they will have unlimited access to the parks as they did before, at least for the upper tier pass holders. I was just thinking more of timing for how the reservation system will be opened up.

The concern with DL is that the DL app doesn’t link up onsite resort reservations. DL would have to add that database if hotel + tickets are needed for a priority phase of park reservation booking similar to how onsite FP+ booking at WDW functions.

I was just assuming they'd work things like they did for the opening of Star Wars land. Couldn't they prioritize hotel guests, and then open up to online reservations for APs to add numbers as they see fit? Confused ...

I was just assuming they'd work things like they did for the opening of Star Wars land. Couldn't they prioritize hotel guests, and then open up to online reservations for APs to add numbers as they see fit? Confused ...
If DL stops ticket sales as WDW has done, then not all onsite guests may have tickets but they could lock out an actual ticket holder from making a reservation.

I had a SWGE reservation even though I didn’t have tickets. After I was lucky to get a reservation, then I had DD send me her comp tickets.

It’s all speculative but if DL added hotel links to the app, then only ‘onsite hotel + ticket’ holders could make a park reservation in a priority phase. In that way, onsite non-ticket holders wouldn’t be able to block out APs and others who have tickets from park reservations.

It’s all speculative but if DL added hotel links to the app, then only ‘onsite hotel + ticket’ holders could make a park reservation in a priority phase. In that way, onsite non-ticket holders wouldn’t be able to block out APs and others who have tickets from park reservations.

I guess I don't see the ticket holder part being dispositive for DL to come up with a system for priority entry--in other words why would they care if someone staying onsite had a ticket now versus at the time of entry? I can see why it makes sense for WDW, but to my mind with the limited hotel capacity of DLR, they don't need to make that a requirement. Why re-invent the wheel if they don't have to? If they want to go with what they have in place (and not have to add anything to the app), they could easily just mimic the process they did for SWGE opening. Hotel guests get priority (with our without pre-existing tickets linked) and then, space dependent, they open it up to online reservations for AP holders (maybe prioritizing APs?). I have no idea what the opening park capacity will be, but to my mind it would help them maximize profits to fill the hotel rooms first and guarantee onsite guests park space (again without respect to whether people hold tickets) before going to APs or other ticket holders like they plan to do at WDW. But like you said, it's all speculation, and it will be interesting to see what they come up with and how it differs from WDW. I just wish they'd make some kind of announcement--any announcement at this point, LOL!!

maximize profits to fill the hotel rooms first and guarantee onsite guests park space
Disney is aware of the number of WDW guests who booked onsite room-only reservations with separate tickets to use that combo to book their priority FP+ reservations. Then, 30 days before their onsite stay, they’d cancel their onsite rooms and keep all their primo FPs.

That scenario, if carefully worded, was one of the most asked questions on the Theme Parks Board when FP+ began.

If DL wants to make park reservations fair to all, the reservation window will be open to all APs and ticket holders, even those with comp tickets.

Disney is aware of the number of WDW guests who booked onsite room-only reservations with separate tickets to use that combo to book their priority FP+ reservations. Then, 30 days before their onsite stay, they’d cancel their onsite rooms and keep all their primo FPs.

That scenario, if carefully worded, was one of the most asked questions on the Theme Parks Board when FP+ began.

If DL wants to make park reservations fair to all, the reservation window will be open to all APs and ticket holders, even those with comp tickets.

SDL requires the guest to buy tickets at the front desk at check-in. I would think they can just proportionally reduce the number allowed in the park and hold back tickets at the front desk. If hotel guests have alternate ways to enter, they can adjust the cap day of.

I think they will be so far below the legal capacity limit, they will have decent leeway in terms of ticket sales.

SDL requires the guest to buy tickets at the front desk. I would think they can just proportionally reduce the number allowed in the park and hold back tickets at the front desk. If hotel guests have alternate ways to enter, they can adjust the cap day of.

I think they will be so far below the legal capacity limit, they will have decent leeway in terms of ticket sales.
WDW is attempting to go completely contactless in Resorts. Guests will use the app as usual for check-in and then will have the Live Chat option during their stay rather than risk being in the Lobby and interacting with CMs.

WDW CMs know they are being used as the ‘control group’ to determine how safe CMs will be. That’s why it’ll be a different set up than what Shanghai has because everyone entering the resort there has the correct health code.

You are correct in that they are very capable of somehow giving priority to onsite guests. When DL closed that 1 day to prep for their 50th, they stated only those who won promo tickets for that day would be able to enter DL. We had tickets and when in line to enter the park, we met resort guests who had tickets slipped under their door that morning.

It’ll be interesting to see how DL sets this up. Adjustments to their app can take weeks, well at least for WDW; maybe DL’s IT Team is better.

Newsom allows counties to move into Phase 3 next week.

DL opening was tied to Phase 3. Now that date has officially been set, hopefully that allows DL to start releasing publicly their reopening plans and timeline.

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-reopen-california-governor-newsom-phase-3-when-will/6233677/
I am confused -- I thought counties couldn't move into Phase 3 until the rate of new cases/deaths were flat or falling, and I didn't think any Southern California counties were there yet (or likely to be there by June 12).

I want Disneyland to reopen as much as the next person, but I'm not sure it can be done safely until the virus is on the downswing, and I'm still very concerned about the situation in most of Southern California.

Requirements to move forward in the "Resilience Roadmap" from https://covid19.ca.gov/roadmap-counties/#track-data :
County case metrics
  • Stable hospitalizations of COVID individuals on a 7-day average of daily percent change of less than 5% OR no more than 20 COVID hospitalizations on any single day in the past 14 days
  • Less than 25 new cases per 100,000 residents in the past 14 days OR less than 8% testing positive in the past 7 days

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter