Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Based on the threshold of 15,000 capacity, where do the other "major" theme parks fall? Disney and Universal are obviously large, but what about Legoland, Seaworld, and Knotts?

Nevermind; I forgot about the in-county restriction. I guess we're still planning USO then.

Orange with travel restriction, then yellow with none. That's honestly what I hoped they would come up with but nope.

I mean I get your point but I can't see a way to enforce a travel restriction. And I mean in a perfect world no one would break the honor system. But also in a perfect world we probably wouldn't be having this discussion at all. So there's that.

Also to be clear on the having a friend buy a friend thing. I was being theoretical. I'm getting my theme park kick elsewhere for the time being though I would rather much have Disney. I'm just pointing out there's a loophole in the plan.

Based on the threshold of 15,000 capacity, where do the other "major" theme parks fall? Disney and Universal are obviously large, but what about Legoland, Seaworld, and Knotts?

Not sure about Legoland but Knotts is 29,000 total capacity and Seaworld is 12,000.

So anyone think there’s any way this will change? I remember earlier in the pandemic Newsom opened the state up earlier than he said he would...

I just don’t see how much longer he can sustain this without major pushback. I actually have agreed with many of his decisions during the past few months but he’s lost me with this one.

I live in Anaheim and I do feel bad for the workers at Disney and they will have to adapt and find another job. Their is work available if you really want to hustle. With that being sad I am glad its closed, we still have schools closed and considering we are in a Pandemic I don't think Disneyland is essential to us getting through this virus. California has been trending stable (considering) Orange County has 56K (1800 cases per 100K population) cases where Orange County Florida 43K cases (3K cases per 100K population). So... you know what that data tells me, it tells me the Cal Gov has done a good job in lowering the cases of the virus. Orange county California has higher population but less cases per 100K, where Orange county Florida has more cases per 100K with lower population.

Numbers don't lie and I pulled this information from the CDC but really amusement parks are for me not my top priority in today's world. If I was a gov I would first look to prepare hospitals and clinics with ready testing, open local biz, then schools, not amusement parks.

Hey what do I know... I am not a Facebook doctor.

Nope, Sounds like DLR would need to be in Phase 4? I'm not local so not sure how CA. stages work. But I've seen Phase 4 and I've seen Yellow mentioned.

View attachment 533678

This is exactly why I took my family to Orlando last week. We as Disney goers all know it's extremely safe at WDW and Universal Orlando. I saw it with my own eyes. The truth is, they HAVE to make it safe or the state would shut them down. But our governor doesn't believe the same company can do the same thing in his state. Why not??? He keeps saying that he'll address how they can reopen soon, and he keeps putting it off or putting out guidelines that just move the goalposts. I just don't know if I can trust him anymore. I hate saying that. But for reals, this just doesn't make any sense. At this point, DL won't open until the middle of next year. Makes me sad. And maybe a little angry.

Still red. They won’t move until they get 2 weeks of Orange numbers.

Plus they have to get the "Equity" measurement under 5.2 for 2 weeks. It has been going down consistently, but it's not there yet.

So, there are the guidelines =/ Maybe now Disney will figure out how to make money using the shopping/dining model.

Or the hotels! I feel like there are a lot of Disney fans that would pay to stay at the GCH or DLH right now.

I see a lot of people in here saying they're going to WDW instead, and while some people can't go to WDW due to financial reasons it's not like Disneyland is going to be going anywhere anytime soon. It's going to open eventually, it's just not opening when you guys want it to. Disneyland is a luxury for most people on this board. I feel bad for the CMs who are getting the short end of the stick when the higher ups still get all that money.

I actually think it's possible that Disneyland could close forever because of this. Eventually the costs for upkeep and the fact it is located in an unhospitable state will make it an albatross to the WDC.

Based on this, there is no way we will make it back living in Oregon anytime soon. I finally decided to break down and call about our APs and was told we can't select the refund option since the passes expired in August. I am being transferred to a supervisor as that was not stated on any of the information put out by Disney.

I mean I get your point but I can't see a way to enforce a travel restriction. And I mean in a perfect world no one would break the honor system. But also in a perfect world we probably wouldn't be having this discussion at all. So there's that.

Also to be clear on the having a friend buy a friend thing. I was being theoretical. I'm getting my theme park kick elsewhere for the time being though I would rather much have Disney. I'm just pointing out there's a loophole in the plan.

Not sure about Legoland but Knotts is 29,000 total capacity and Seaworld is 12,000.
I was thinking more along the lines of the Socal resident tickets where you have to show your ID with a certain zipcode. Disney could do something similar to that.

Ugh I need to double check and call the AP hotline about what's going to happen now myself. They never give me any updates. And its supposed to be they keep adding on as long as its closed. But I want to be absolutely certain I won't have trouble doing dinning reservations in two weeks

I feel so disappointed for everyone in Anaheim, all the CM's, and all the California Disney fans. I just don't know what to say, this winter will be hard for everyone. My country has just gone into a second full lockdown with all non essential business closed for 6 weeks, so I get it. I just hope that Anaheim can hang in there until Yellow tier / status. And those who say of just go to WDW, even for me as an international visitor thats just not an option. I have rescheduled flights for January and if there are no travel bans I will be on the plane. If Disneyland is not open, all that will happen is that I will change my itinerary and just stay in LA instead of going to Anaheim.

I can't believe Ghaly is comparing San Francisco County to ANY other county, let alone a large one line LA and OC. San Francisco County population = 883K, LA County = 10.1 MILLION. San Francisco is difficult to get into and you plan a day around it. Los Angles County is LITERALLY like an entire state - larger than all but 7 states in fact. Apples to oranges doesn't begin to describe the difference.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Socal resident tickets where you have to show your ID with a certain zipcode. Disney could do something similar to that.

Ah so that's the piece of information about IDs I was missing. I was wondering if there was a way to see where the IDs originate from since we don't on CO drivers license. Now it makes more sense how they can enforce the county only restrictions.

I like your optimism, but I don't think there is any question that this is a deal-breaker. Devastating - why can't they just follow the data? It's working absolutely everywhere else.
Hah, I'm an optimistic pessimist. I expect the worst but hope for the best.
It's definitely a deal-breaker for Disney with their usual M.O. I hope they realize lowering prices and offering smaller alternatives is better than letting the parks sit and rot. If they utilized all of DTD, DL, and DCA for dining and shopping, they could cut down on the lines, employ more CMs, and make some money instead of writing everything off as a business loss. Shoot, do that and charge $10 for parking and they would still get droves of people trying to RSVP.

So anyone think there’s any way this will change? I remember earlier in the pandemic Newsom opened the state up earlier than he said he would...

I just don’t see how much longer he can sustain this without major pushback. I actually have agreed with many of his decisions during the past few months but he’s lost me with this one.
No. Newsom literally said he will be “stubborn” about this. If there isn’t a legal way to overturn it, this is it imho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter