Disneyland Pro's first trip to Disney World - August 2015 TR (Updated 9/17)

Great update! We love to play "spot the plant" at certain shows. It is infact slightly annoying about that. And I totally agree with you wife about Elsa!! It really messes with me with her eyebrows being so dark! They should really pick someone who looks slightly like her. Or fix her eyebrows. I think she just looks really weird. Okay , rant over. LOL

As you know from seeing Fantasmic at Disneyland, it's more comfortable at Disney World!
For sure. Last year on December 29th we went to Disneyland specifically to see Fantasmic before it closed for construction. We bought one of the meal plans to get Fastpasses. It was so crowded that we could barely see, and Ryan couldn't see over the people in front of us.
FYI - now I know why most passes are blocked during that week. We are never going back during the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Looks like you had a great time, thanks for sharing! I didn't know you had to pre-register for the Jedi academy so I will make sure to add that to the list for our 2017 trip.
The trip was amazing. It was all I ever dreamed of an more.
Jedi Academy fills up pretty quickly, so you have to get to the park when it opens. Even on a slow day in September it was filling up.

Great update! We love to play "spot the plant" at certain shows. It is infact slightly annoying about that.
Thanks! At least at Disney they were hard to pick. I picked the wrong guy at this show, and when we went back in January, I think I still got it wrong. There was a Batman show at Six Flags Magic Mountain many years ago and I picked the plant before he even made it out of the audience. Sometimes you can scan the audience and find the plant before the show even starts.

And I totally agree with you wife about Elsa!! It really messes with me with her eyebrows being so dark! They should really pick someone who looks slightly like her. Or fix her eyebrows. I think she just looks really weird. Okay , rant over. LOL
You know, she actually does have darker eyebrows in the animation, but they aren't black.
27566826434_8d9154390f_z.jpg

Magic Kingdom Day 2 will have pictures of another dark eyebrowed Elsa (and an extremely wide-eyed Anna!)

You know, she actually does have darker eyebrows in the animation, but they aren't black.
27566826434_8d9154390f_z.jpg

Magic Kingdom Day 2 will have pictures of another dark eyebrowed Elsa (and an extremely wide-eyed Anna!)

:rotfl2: I about spewed drink all over my keyboard. :rotfl: Nevertheless, I"m looking forward to your next report.

She's super cute! But the eyes have a dash of "crazy" (with a pinch of "dead inside" thrown in).
I feel like a terrible human being for typing that out :oops:

Day 5: Break Day - So what happened to the pool anyway?

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

We actually slept in a little and got up around 9:00. The plan for the day was to check out at Pop, check into Wilderness Lodge and hang out at the pool.

We packed up all our stuff and called bell service to take our bags. They were transporting everything to the Wilderness Lodge for us. I went to the lobby to pay our bill for the hotel. We had a ton of gift cards that we got on discount from Target and I wanted to use them instead of the credit card on file. Unfortunately they had already billed the card, but they were able to back out the payment and charge the gift cards instead.

We checked out of the room and decided to wander around the hotel and see some of the things we hadn't really looked at yet. We went over to the 80's rooms to check out the giant Rubik’s Cubes and the computer pool.

28453362381_d9ac52b2a6_z.jpg

28531209625_6b73f93af6_z.jpg

We took some pictures with the Mr. Potato heads also.
28247416680_cba0f15e98_z.jpg

I gave Mr Potatohead a high-five, so Ryan wanted to give him one too.
28247404480_657c7b1afa_z.jpg

Next we walked around Hourglass Lake to check out Art of Animation. It's really cool. We would have liked to stay there, but the suites were way too much and the Little Mermaid rooms were not discounted like Pop was. Ryan really liked all the Cars stuff.

27914825533_ecf926c4d0_z.jpg

28424795002_43f2d549b0_z.jpg

27914718783_4c834cceaa_z.jpg

We wandered through the lobby and took the bus from Art of Animation to the Magic Kingdom where we would take a boat to the Wilderness Lodge. While on the bus I got the text that our room at Wilderness Lodge was ready.

Since we were at the Magic Kingdom, we decided to stop in and get Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards. I had read something that said you could only get new cards if you played a portal so after we got new cards we played a couple of portals in Adventureland.

We also saw the Main Street Trolley show and the Dance Party Parade before heading out of the park,
28498651486_01e0c80479_z.jpg

28246792030_ebb1b68711_z.jpg

We took the boat from Magic Kingdom to the Wilderness lodge. We were excited to check out our new hotel. On the way into the hotel we checked out the geyser and the pool. I also noticed that we were passing right by the Roaring Fork, so we filled up our mugs and headed to the lobby. I've seen lots of pictures, but they don't compare to being there. I would love to see it at Christmas. I hear it's the best.

27914403004_e90196eacc_z.jpg

28247358040_e444ca4093_z.jpg

Saw the geyser erupt from one of the upper lobby windows
28499133796_3957625285_z.jpg

We took the elevator up to our room. Room 6018 which was the exact room I requested. Top floor with a view of the Magic Kingdom. Well, a little bit of a view. You could barely make out the castle. We could see the Contemporary as well.
28247119230_1365943a37_z.jpg

27915140893_cc2f5f6103_z.jpg

I called the lobby to see if our luggage had arrived, but it had not, but there was a package waiting for us.

On the first day of the trip, Jennie realized that her camera battery was almost dead, and she didn't have a charger. I found a cheap one on Amazon Prime and was going to have it delivered to Pop with 2 day shipping. It was supposed to arrive on Tuesday. After I put it in my cart, but before check-out, the delivery date updated to Wednesday. Frustrating! So I changed the delivery address to the Wilderness Lodge. Of course, the package arrived at the Wilderness Lodge on Tuesday! Argh!

I went down to the lobby to pick up the package. Chatted with the CMs at the concierge desk for a bit. They were much more friendly and relaxed than the ones at Pop. They were jealous that I had been to Disneyland for the 60th as neither of them had ever even been to Disneyland. Stopped by the Roaring Fork for another refill. Have I mentioned that I am addicted to Diet Coke? Plus, the refillable mugs are pretty small. Had a nice chat with the Cast Member at the pin trading kiosk as well.

We had PB&J sandwiches on the balcony of our room. I realized then that the balconies of the lower floors are more open than the top floor, but being up high, I think we still had a better view.
27914326044_b18f6411a2_z.jpg

We got ready for a swim and headed down to the pool.

The pool was awesome. It was one of the things I really liked about the Wilderness Lodge. First we checked out the water play area and had fun squirting each other and standing under the dump bucket. Every day of the trip had been pretty hot and today was no exception.

After a bit we decided to go in the pool. Ryan and I were about to jump in when I noticed that nobody was in the pool. Nobody at all. I asked and they said it was closed. It hadn't been closed when we got there. It was 2:00 in the afternoon on a very hot day. I don't really think it was a scheduled cleaning. My best guess is that somebody had a Caddyshack moment and it wasn't a Baby Ruth bar.

So we went back the the play area, which was starting to get a little more busy since the pool was closed.

The Pool DJ was having a Disney Jr dance party. Ryan and some other kids danced and Jennie and I relaxed in the lounge chairs.
28425132292_39ff0fd648_z.jpg

After about an hour we were ready to head back to the room and they finally opened the pool. We didn't have a lot of time left, but we all went down the waterslide a couple of times.
28425139872_466013889d_z.jpg

It was awesome that we finally got to enjoy the actual pool, but we were all kind of disappointed because the pool had been closed for most of our only scheduled swim time.

When we got back to the room, I called again about our luggage and it was ready, so they brought it up to the room. We got changed and ready to head to Downtown Disney (It wasn't Disney Springs yet).
We got lucky and got a Downtown Disney bus right after getting to the stop. The bus made a stop at the Contemporary and then headed there.

I took a while to get there. I think this was the longest bus ride of the trip so far.

When we got to Downtown Disney, we headed straight to the Lego Store. On the first Tuesday and Wednesday of the month, the Lego Store has a Mini-Build where kids can build a small (about 20 pieces) Lego set for free. It used to be first-come first-served, but they changed it recently to a reservation system. They are pretty generous with the times at the store by us, so if you're a little late it's not a huge deal, but we didn't know how busy this store would be. We assumed it would be really busy. We were wrong. There was only one other kid doing the Mini-Build when we got there.
28531062245_b632eef140_z.jpg

Went into World of Disney next. There was a Cast Member sprinkling Pixie Dust (glitter) on everyone. We all got in on it. Even me! Ryan bought a pin set which was one pin for each park.

Got a great photo of the Rainforest Cafe volcano.
28531055785_968c0a9c6d_z.jpg

We went into the Ghirardelli store next. The guy at the door giving out chocolates gave me an extra because I was wearing my birthday button. Score!

There was a Photopass photographer outside of the Lego Store, so we got a few pictures.
27914589883_22387f6aec_z.jpg

27914525133_6a60fa1131_z.jpg

Notice: Still no Disney shirt. OK, so Marvel is Disney owned now, but wasn't when I got the shirt and certainly wasn't when Secret Wars was first published.

Dinner at T-Rex. We had a reservation, but it was still about a 15 minutes wait. We got to walk through the ice cave on the way to our table.
28532473405_f166ce74f8_z.jpg

28530984105_af6ae24666_z.jpg

I had the Bronto Burger and Jennie and Ryan split the pasta. Ryan didn't like the pasta though.
28499042686_6f826530f0_z.jpg

27915051293_0a7bd49992_z.jpg

I had recently joined the Landry’s club (specifically for this meal). I had the $25 credit for joining, plus the $25 birthday credit. Our bill came out to less than $50, so we added dessert. We got the ice cream sandwich sundae (sorry, no picture of dessert). It was amazing. We were totally stuffed.
Ryan got a smashed penny at the T-Rex gift shop.

We headed over to DisneyQuest next. I was excited to play all the classic arcade games. Ryan tried out a few too, but he wasn't very good at them (he doesn't play video games very much). He still had fun though. His favorite was the Star Wars Podracer game.
27914963923_b613273cb7_z.jpg

I got a DisneyQuest smashed penny, since I knew it was going away soon. I don't think we would have paid full admission price, but admission was included with our annual passes, so it didn't cost us anything.
We headed back to the bus stop with a quick stop at the Christmas store. We were looking for an ornament to commemorate the trip, but didn't find anything we liked.

Shortly after we got back to our hotel room, the Wishes fireworks started. We could sort of see them, and even hear the music a little bit. Right after the fireworks, the boat parade came around. We could hear the music, but couldn't see it from our room. Too many trees in the way. It turned out it was actually the Contemporary Hotel's performance, and the one at the Wilderness Lodge was earlier in the evening.
For a day that was supposed to be a rest day, it was surprisingly busy, but definitely a fun day.

Reminds me so much of the Grand Californian at Disneyland!

My best guess is that somebody had a Caddyshack moment and it wasn't a Baby Ruth bar.
:scared: Yikes.

It was awesome that we finally got to enjoy the actual pool, but we were all kind of disappointed because the pool had been closed for most of our only scheduled swim time.
That was rotten luck.

Dinner at T-Rex. We had a reservation, but it was still about a 15 minutes wait. We got to walk through the ice cave on the way to our table.
28532473405_f166ce74f8_z.jpg

28530984105_af6ae24666_z.jpg
This restaurant looks so cool, esp for kids. Looking forward to our ADR during our planned Disney Springs afternoon.

Reminds me so much of the Grand Californian at Disneyland!
Yeah. That's one of the things we really liked about it. We have never stayed at the Grand Californian, because it's really expensive. It's the most expensive hotel at Disneyland. Conversely, the Wilderness Lodge is the cheapest Deluxe at WDW.

This restaurant looks so cool, esp for kids. Looking forward to our ADR during our planned Disney Springs afternoon.
It's a great place for kids who like dinosaurs. Ryan loved it. We've been to the Rainforest Cafe a few times, so we figured it would be like that but with dinosaurs instead of jungle animals, and we were pretty much right.

Day 6: Epcot Part 2 - I think this is my favorite park.

So I know it's been a while since I updated, but I really am planning on getting this done. (Even though it's now been more than a year since the trip).

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Epcot Day 2. We left the hotel after 9:00 (decided not to open the park today). Our buts stopped at Fort Wilderness, then headed to Epcot. We got in the park around 10:00. We went to the character meet and greet first. There was no line yet.
29691125056_1a0b969613_z.jpg

29615446952_b2c015fce1_z.jpg

Minnie loved Jennie's ears and nails (her nails were red Jamberry nails with black polka-dots, like Minnie).
29099848594_2c75647b20_z.jpg

We had Fastpasses for Soarin’ next. One of Jennie’s friends told her that it was different than the Disneyland version. She was wrong. It was exactly the same, except the video quality was worse (Epcot hadn't upgraded the screens, but California Adventure did a few years ago). We were all disappointed because we can ride Soarin’ at California Adventure any time we want. Of course, we enjoyed it, but it felt like a waste of a Tier 1 FastPass. We could have ridden Test Track again!

Went on Living with the Land next. It was a walk-on. I think there was one other small group in our boat. Ryan thought the greenhouse was pretty cool.
29726444255_71af5a9e41_z.jpg

I guess this is the only picture I took. It's the baby aligators.

Saw Circle of Life next. It was OK.

We went through the two Innoventions halls next. One of them was totally empty (I think the Visa meet and greets were in there). The other one had some stuff, including The Sum of All Thrills. I kind of wanted to ride it (Jennie and Ryan didn't), but the line was pretty long, so we skipped it.
We didn't do any of the other activities in there. It seemed kind of sad and under-utilized.

Went straight to America so see the American Adventure. We caught the end of Voices of Liberty.
29691126956_47e9e94e85_z.jpg

Went into The American Adventure. Part way through the show it broke down. The animatronics weren’t working right so they made us all leave. They didn't know when it would be working again.

Ryan got the American flag on his Duffy flag fixed since it had gotten wet on our first Epcot day.

Saw the full Voices of Liberty next. I noticed that they did different songs than the previous performance, which I thought was pretty cool.

29099847004_e6e105f08e_z.jpg

At the grandstand, the American Music Machine was about to perform. They were also an acapella group, but they did much more modern songs. I really liked them. They started the show with a beat-box number, which Ryan really liked.

Walked past Japan and watched the drummers, then headed to Italy. The soldiers were doing a flag tossing show outside, so we watched that. It was cool.
29615448782_f026fcf6e3_z.jpg

Lunch at Via Napoli. We had pizza with artichokes. It was really good. We did have to wait a bit, so we were really hungry.
29691125816_f468a7fe22_z.jpg

We went to Germany next to find the trains. We hadn’t seen them on the first day, and we figured out why. They were closed and completely covered by a fence for the Food and Wine festival that was starting next week. We were kind of bummed that we didn't get to see them.

Ryan got his Duffy fixed in Germany, then we bought some caramel corn and Karamel Kuche. It was awesome.

Went to China next. We checked out the terracotta warriors while waiting for Reflections of China.
Watched Reflections of China. It was cool. I hadn’t seen a CircleVision show in a very long time. I thought it was the same as the one they used to have at Disneyland, but I didn’t remember any of it. I found out later that this one is a little newer. After we went into the gift shop and checked it out. Ryan did the Kidcot station.

Went to Norway next. We checked out the Frozen exhibit. It was actually pretty small. Maelstrom had been closed for a while, so we didn't get to go on it. Checked out the gift shop and Ryan got his final Kidcot stop.
29754021355_0ecf2a2d40_z.jpg

Ryan wanted to do another Agent P mission, so we headed to the kiosk. We noticed that Duffy was out and had no line at all, so Ryan got some pictures. He also got Duffy to sign his KidCot Duffy. He drew a pawprint on the stick. It was pretty cute.
29615443182_e56bde7401_z.jpg

We got our Agent P mission for Mexico and headed over. The entire mission is done inside the pyramid, which is nice because it was starting to get hot outside. It went pretty quickly too since it was all concentrated in one place (unlike the UK one where we had to walk around a bit more).
Went outside to get pictures of Mexican Donald. I had my Donald shirt (What? A Disney themed shirt!!!???) and all my Donald pins, but he didn't really seem to care.
29615444992_d2cfd821b1_z.jpg

29099847924_ac7a5cd3e0_z.jpg

Went to Canada next to see O Canada! I really liked it (I actually like Martin Short). It made me want to go to Canada, which I guess is the point.

Went back to America to see the American Adventure again. It worked all the way through, but I started dozing off. I hear it's a good place to nap. It had been a long day and the seats are really comfy and it's pretty long, so all those things combined made me pretty drowsy.

We went back to Innoventions to find a penny smashing machine that Ryan had seen earlier.
On the way out, we got some pictures in front of Spaceship Earth. Ryan really wanted one of him holding up Spaceship Earth. The Photopass photographer was great. She laid down on the ground to get the perfect shot.

29099841314_33f7cfa8fb_z.jpg

29615445812_856920dcba_z.jpg

I wanted to check out the hotels on the Monorail loop, so we took the Monorail to the TTC and got on the Magic Kingdom monorail. It went through the Contemporary, but didn't stop. I didn't realize that there was a different one that stopped at the hotels and one that didn't.

Just before getting to the Magic Kingdom station, the monorail stopped and we had to wait about 10 minutes before continuing. We were hungry and getting a little grumpy (so were other people onboard).
29718536196_c712c81812_z.jpg

We decided to forget the hotels, and head into the Magic Kingdom for dinner. We stopped at the Fire Station for more Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards first. They had a bit of a problem because we weren't wearing the same Magic Bands. Apparently the game is tied to a specific band, and not to your account. They transferred our game to the bands we were wearing.

We had dinner at the Columbia Harbor House. I had the fish, chicken strips and fries. Jennie and Ryan split the Lighthouse Sandwich, but Ryan didn't really like it.

Ryan wanted to play one round of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. When he activated the portal, it was the beginning of the same quest that we had started yesterday. Ryan was disappointed.

We left the Magic Kingdom around 8:30 and took the boat back to the hotel. When we got there, the geyser had just started erupting, so we got to see the whole thing from close up.

29615447812_cef2cea49d_z.jpg

We kind of saw the boat parade from our room. We saw them go by but not lit up, then we could hear the music, but we didn't get to see the boats lit up. Kind of saw Wishes from our room again.

It was a good second day for Epcot. We got to see all of the things we missed the first day. It was nice to know we had two days to do it all. I think it's impossible to see all of Epcot in only one day. After reflecting on the trip, I really think Epcot is my favorite park.

Glad you're back!

What a great Epcot day. I love that you can have so many different experiences throughout the park. Pizza at Via Napoli looks delicious. And kudos to that photopass photographer for getting such a great shot!

Glad you're back!

What a great Epcot day. I love that you can have so many different experiences throughout the park. Pizza at Via Napoli looks delicious. And kudos to that photopass photographer for getting such a great shot!

Thanks. Yeah, like I said. I think Epcot has turned out to be my favorite park. Magic Kingdom is a lot like Disneyland, but Epcot is so different.
The Photopass Photographer was a champ. She got a couple of different pictures from that angle. I thought that one was the best.

Enjoying all your comparisons to Disneyland. Haven't been there in 10 years but it is on the list to go back. Looks like a great trip.

Enjoying all your comparisons to Disneyland. Haven't been there in 10 years but it is on the list to go back. Looks like a great trip.
Thanks. It was an awesome trip. I really miss it and want to go back, but we won't be able to for at least a few more years.

Great TR so far. Really want to stay at WL but have to convince the wife.
Thanks! WL was great. Splitting between that and POP ended up costing about the same as a moderate would have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter