Disneyland podcast?

I too am missing the Disneyland Podcast ... though partly selfishly as by Monday I am usually in need of a new podcast and the Disneyland one was usually there for my Monday morning commute

I did enjoy their banter and just fun. I agree that Micheal will be missed but having Connecting with Walt be every week really fills that void I think

I went back and listened to the final Disneyland podcast of 2017 right before Christmas break. They were looking at the calendar and seeing how the Sundays would fall, joking holding a podcast on News Years Eve would be a hot mess and decided to come back 1/7. Clearly, the team had zero knowledge of any hiatus.

Based on what has been said, it's "rebranding" according to Craig/Ryno(YouTube comments) or "re-imagining" according to Tom (Facebook.) That makes me think some pretty serious changes. :(

They were about 10 weeks from hitting episode 750!! That's astonishing. they went YEARS without missing a weekly podcast until last summer. The team called in from some of the zaniest of places to participate each week. Frankly, the DL version is/was the most reliably consisted of all the Disunplugged podcasts, posted first thing Monday without fail. I almost took it for granted it would there for my Monday commute.

I really, really wish we could have had a send off "season finale" episode before they went into hiatus. The team is made of lovely people and I would have wanted to honor their incredibly passionate work so far. I would have wanted their friends in Mixlr to have given them the celebration and the gratitude they deserved before taking an extended break. The time, the extensive research, the constant awareness that not a single change at DL was made without the team noticing. They are VERY true DL fans, I remember a few months ago, some WDW vs DL issue came up in a new story, and it was hilarious what a forgone conclusion it was on where they stood, they couldn't even pretend to debate it. I so appreciated their loyalty. I honor them with my loyalty

I don't exactly know what the changes are, so it seems inappropriate to speak conclusively, but Pete, I can't help but feel the whole team deserves some kind of season finale to the original format.

That's the thing that always struck me about the DL team....they didn't miss a THING.

They'd be talking about something in the parks, and one of them would say something like "It's right there next to that tree by the Haunted Mansion", and another would say "the short one, the second from the left?" And the first person would say "No, the fourth one from the left, the one with the weird branch", and they'd know EXACTLY which tree was being talked about.

That might be a slight exaggeration, but not by much. They know those parks inside-out, and as someone who made his first DL trip last summer, that type of info was invaluable in the weeks/months leading up to the trip. And the banter was fun, too.

I just hope the new show is geared for a DL audience, not a show aimed to getting WDW fans to watch a DL show! No energy need be wasted convincing anyone, it's absolutely perfect magic.
Can you be fans of both? Of course, but it's a coincidence, because they are two very different things. You can also like apples AND oranges or Alaska AND Hawaii, but liking one doesn't necessarily mean you'll love them both.

Last edited:

I just hope the new show is geared for a DL audience, not a show aimed to getting WDW fans to watch a DL show! No energy need be wasted convincing anyone, it's absolutely perfect magic.
Can you be fans of both? Of course, but it's a coincidence, because they are two very different things. You can also like apples AND oranges or Alaska AND Hawaii, but liking one doesn't necessarily mean you'll love them both.
Nice turn of phrase, @disneyland_is_magic ! :worship:

I love all the Dis podcasts, but this one, in particular, tended to stray WAY off the "Disney" focus in every single episode. They spent more time talking about everything else in So Cal rather than focusing on Disneyland, which got tiresome. I would be okay with the show making some changes and being more like the Dis Unplugged weekly round table show that spends maybe 5-10% of the time talking about "everything else in Orlando" and 90-95% of the time talking about Disney World stuff. You can't call it the Disneyland Podcast and spend the whole time talking about Universal/City Walk, Knotts, Sea World, Discovery Cube, etc.

I love all the Dis podcasts, but this one, in particular, tended to stray WAY off the "Disney" focus in every single episode. They spent more time talking about everything else in So Cal rather than focusing on Disneyland, which got tiresome. I would be okay with the show making some changes and being more like the Dis Unplugged weekly round table show that spends maybe 5-10% of the time talking about "everything else in Orlando" and 90-95% of the time talking about Disney World stuff. You can't call it the Disneyland Podcast and spend the whole time talking about Universal/City Walk, Knotts, Sea World, Discovery Cube, etc.

Oddly enough I liked that about it, but I see your point. You may have figured out what is happening, make the Disneyland podcast all Disneyland and have a separate So Cal podcast. They already split the podcast into two parts, adding a third part for all the non-DLR stuff would be perfect for everyone.

Oddly enough I liked that about it, but I see your point. You may have figured out what is happening, make the Disneyland podcast all Disneyland and have a separate So Cal podcast. They already split the podcast into two parts, adding a third part for all the non-DLR stuff would be perfect for everyone.

I liked it too. I enjoy hearing about the area in general and think it’s helpful for those who are extending their trips to do more than just Disneyland. I had a trip to LA for work and DL was out of the question but I was able to find lots of information for other touring around LA which I really appreciated! I understand that it’s a DL podcast first but I enjoyed hearing about other places from other Disney Lovers’ perspectives. And they always stayed up on the Disney news and happenings so I never felt shortchanged there.

I have other WDW podcasts that I really enjoy but I have not found a DL podcast that I liked as much as the DisUnplugged. Definitely missing it!

I have a completely different perspective. I haven't been back to California since moving from there in '83 or so, and I miss it dearly. So dearly that for all these years, I have not WANTED to even go back to visit on vacation, because I know leaving back then was a real, PHYSICAL pain. I felt like somebody was literally ripping my heart out of my chest, and I never wanted to feel that again. :( At least not if I could help it. And not going back helped it (or so I though, all these years). I'm sure you can tell leaving at the tine was not MY choice.

As I get older, I wonder if I might venture back, to enjoy its beauty, and chance leaving so full of GOOD memories, they overcome that pain. Don't mean to sound melodramatic, but the feel is real, at least in my case, sorry. Anyway - when I listen to the "other than Disney" stuff (and the DL stuff too, since I went there a lot when I was stationed in Long Beach, at the Naval Base), it helps me to relive some awesome, wonderful memories, without chancing that pain myself. It's a walk down memory lane for me. Sometimes I get a little melancholy, and wistful, but mostly I just get warm and fuzzy. And I am always in awe at the creativity, and sheer amount of thought, preparation, and time that gets put into the "other than Disney stuff". It's a LOT.

It helps me to bide my time while I wait for the day I can afford to maybe venture back out to the Left Coast, and chance overcoming the pain.

Last edited:
Yes, it struck me as odd at first that so much of the show(and I don't mean a majority of the show, just more than the WDW shows) tended to focus on non-DL stuff.

But then I realized....it's just two parks, three hotels, and a shopping district. Sometimes the WDW show struggles to find enough relevant news/topics that are WDW-related in a given week, and WDW has four parks, two waterparks, a shopping district, and something like 25 resorts on-property(I don't feel like looking it up).

So proportionally-speaking, it makes sense as to why they dip their toes into non-DL waters, so to speak. Plus, as someone else said....DL trips are generally shorter, and people mix in more time at other places into their SoCal vacations.

Yes, it struck me as odd at first that so much of the show(and I don't mean a majority of the show, just more than the WDW shows) tended to focus on non-DL stuff.

But then I realized....it's just two parks, three hotels, and a shopping district. Sometimes the WDW show struggles to find enough relevant news/topics that are WDW-related in a given week, and WDW has four parks, two waterparks, a shopping district, and something like 25 resorts on-property(I don't feel like looking it up).

So proportionally-speaking, it makes sense as to why they dip their toes into non-DL waters, so to speak. Plus, as someone else said....DL trips are generally shorter, and people mix in more time at other places into their SoCal vacations.

Plus the WDW show has a separate Universal Show (which covers Universal Hollywood a bit but is largely focused on the Orlando one) so it makes sense that the DL show would cover that a bit as well and they include Knottsberry a bit (but the WDW will cover Seaworld if something big happens, etc.)

At the end of the day the goal of these shows is to get people to travel more and, specifically, to use Dreams Unlimited Travel for booking said trips - so the DL show needs to focus on why you should make a trip to Southern California with Disneyland being the centerpiece of that but many people needs more than that to fly cross country, etc.

I really loved this podcast and the group... I'm not sure I'll be tuning in to a new group and new focus. I was also very irritated that they have done nothing to let their listeners know about this - making it feel like they have zero interest or concern for any of us who have been listening every week for years. I thought something had gone wrong with my app or my iTunes. Really very rude of the DIS Unplugged Team - who could still chime in and give a response here but have still chosen not to do so.

I loved all the other SoCal stuff. Disneyland is a much smaller park than WDW (I know same number of rides, but I mean not nearly as many resorts and activities and character meals and such), and it has a ton of local visitors too. We want to know about all the area stuff that we can combine with our Disneyland trips. The podcast is naturally very different from the WDW one (which I rarely listen to, even when I have an upcoming WDW trip planned- I do not enjoy their weekly podcasts like I do the Disneyland team) because they are very, very different parks and different ways of planning vacations. Who comes to Anaheim from say, the East Coast, and does nothing else in SoCal??? Hardly anyone. This podcast allowed you to plan your whole trip.

Overall, I'm super bummed.

I really loved this podcast and the group... I'm not sure I'll be tuning in to a new group and new focus. I was also very irritated that they have done nothing to let their listeners know about this - making it feel like they have zero interest or concern for any of us who have been listening every week for years.

I'll have to wait and see too, I hope they don't fix something that isn't broke too much. In the meantime I've been checking out some other Disneyland podcasts and I have found a couple that are decent, so at the least this forced me to expand my horizons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter