Disneyland Paris goes full Universal

Does anyone think Disney would maybe allow paid fast passes for popular attractions and then still use free FP for less popular? For example you could pay for FP for the three mountains but not for speedway or whatever the deem “not popular”?

Does anyone think Disney would maybe allow paid fast passes for popular attractions and then still use free FP for less popular? For example you could pay for FP for the three mountains but not for speedway or whatever the deem “not popular”?
That’s essentially what the AK “Ultimate Nights of Adventure Tour” is (FP access for FoP, Navi River, Safari, Everest, Dinosaur and Rivers of Light, plus a light dinner thrown in). The cost is $249 per person. I would expect something similar to be offered for the Star Wars land when it opens.

Those VIP tours sound like mega money makers for Disney. I have had 3 trips since Pandora opened, so this one doesn’t tempt me but maybe good for a first timer or someone with very limited AK time and plenty of money to burn.

Wonder how much the Star Wars version would go for? At least the AK VIP one includes the ROL show and EE, and Dinosaur.

It’s interesting that they’re testing this in Paris first. I know they’ll never say why, but I’d be curious as to the reasons why that market was the market chosen to debut a paid fast pass system.

My husband hates waiting in lines and I hate hearing him complain about waiting in lines, so I would definitely be one of the suckers to pay for this if it came to WDW. I’m a fan of DLR’s Max Pass and did not think I would be. I’ll be interested in how Paris’ paid fast pass system works out.

Those VIP tours sound like mega money makers for Disney. I have had 3 trips since Pandora opened, so this one doesn’t tempt me but maybe good for a first timer or someone with very limited AK time and plenty of money to burn.

Wonder how much the Star Wars version would go for? At least the AK VIP one includes the ROL show and EE, and Dinosaur.

I can't imagine they are really that big of a money maker for them only because how limited the supply / demand must be. Much like the keys to the kingdom tour (I think that's what the MK one is called), sure its super expensive, and people do it, but compared to what they make off general admission and the sales to GA ticket holders, I imagine these tours are drops in the bucket.

I can't imagine they are really that big of a money maker for them only because how limited the supply / demand must be. Much like the keys to the kingdom tour (I think that's what the MK one is called), sure its super expensive, and people do it, but compared to what they make off general admission and the sales to GA ticket holders, I imagine these tours are drops in the bucket.

I guess we will never know since Disney will never disclose, but I bet dollars to donuts that they will try to heavily monetize SW vip stuff and they will be successful although not from me.

I guess we will never know since Disney will never disclose, but I bet dollars to donuts that they will try to heavily monetize SW vip stuff and they will be successful although not from me.

Oh i absolutely agree, I am thinking the early access stuff they did out in pixar peer. I bet the extra money hours they have been running have been successful, which is why we see more rolling out to AK and HS ... and I imagine they will offer "previews" for a couple weeks leading up to SWGE for a fee, 150, 200 per person, except you can sell thousands of them, rotate them in hour blocks like they did at Pandora (though that was free) ... there were 3 or 4 blocks of time each day. SO say, 4 blocks of 1000, or 4 blocks of 2000 ? 4000 a day at $150 ? Thats 600K a day, 8000 a day, 1.6 Million on top of needing a park ticket. Do that for a couple weeks. Then like 1 or 2 hours before or after park closing at SWGE again, sell 2000 before and 2000 after each day ... 150 a pop, 600K a day ... keep that up for like a year ... a cool $200 Million+

I still think it's funny how angry people get at Disney raising prices but MORE people are visiting every year and the crowds keep increasing! Yes, they can definitely do some fixes and upgrades to their rides with the extra money they're raking in, but we are getting a good amount of additions in the next couple of years and I expect more to be announced soon.

Oh i absolutely agree, I am thinking the early access stuff they did out in pixar peer. I bet the extra money hours they have been running have been successful, which is why we see more rolling out to AK and HS ... and I imagine they will offer "previews" for a couple weeks leading up to SWGE for a fee, 150, 200 per person, except you can sell thousands of them, rotate them in hour blocks like they did at Pandora (though that was free) ... there were 3 or 4 blocks of time each day. SO say, 4 blocks of 1000, or 4 blocks of 2000 ? 4000 a day at $150 ? Thats 600K a day, 8000 a day, 1.6 Million on top of needing a park ticket. Do that for a couple weeks. Then like 1 or 2 hours before or after park closing at SWGE again, sell 2000 before and 2000 after each day ... 150 a pop, 600K a day ... keep that up for like a year ... a cool $200 Million+

Nothing to sneeze at, imho

We own DVC, buy annual passes and have averaged about 30 days/year at WDW for the last 8-9 years. So we are a fairly dedicated/loyal customer. But I'm getting close to the point were I'm not seeing a lot of value in going. I have no interest in standing in a 30+ minute line for a 90 second ride. I'm also not willing to pay for more FP+ given what Disney will probably charge, so if the wait times get much longer I will probably just give up going to WDW.

As for Disney limiting the number of FP+ they sell, I won't trust them. They might start off with a limit (just like the Halloween parties), but their greed will get them increasing the number sold every year (just like the Halloween parties).

I see the greed building too. I also see both new fees and increasing room, events, food, park costs. They have added lands but no 5th gate. They have also spent a lot replacing or as they euphemistically call reimagining, where little or no ride capacity is added. Hours have been shortened to add more extra events, so the non event goers are left holding the bag as regular gate tickets increase. I see escalating costs to guests and $$ spent by Disney, until one day it becomes a organization that might consider itself too big to fail. What I don’t see is the cavalry coming to the rescue.

Last edited:
That’s essentially what the AK “Ultimate Nights of Adventure Tour” is (FP access for FoP, Navi River, Safari, Everest, Dinosaur and Rivers of Light, plus a light dinner thrown in). The cost is $249 per person. I would expect something similar to be offered for the Star Wars land when it opens.

I definitely think the same will happen when Star Wars opens. I think it’s only a matter of time before paid FP comes here too.

It’s interesting that they’re testing this in Paris first. I know they’ll never say why, but I’d be curious as to the reasons why that market was the market chosen to debut a paid fast pass system.

My husband hates waiting in lines and I hate hearing him complain about waiting in lines, so I would definitely be one of the suckers to pay for this if it came to WDW. I’m a fan of DLR’s Max Pass and did not think I would be. I’ll be interested in how Paris’ paid fast pass system works out.

My guess(es):

1) Paris operates on a different model to WDW. It's more like DL in that many people see it as a day-trip park. For people who just want to arrive, get their kids on the rides, then leave, this offers a path to that. Also (from what I've heard), line jumping is (slightly) more of an issue than in the US, and some guests might be happy to just pay their way out of that nonsense.

2) In general DLPs lines are shorter than the US parks also, so they can do this with less of an immediately visible reduction in experience for other visitors.

3) DLP is costing Disney a lot of money, and these kinds of schemes have proven effective at raising the bottom line in the US.

Sounds awesome, hopefully they bring this to WDW. Would LOVE to be able to buy fast passes.

I was going to spend two days at DLP, but decided against this since I am in Paris,and there are so many things to see, so yesterday I bought the fast pass to get as much done as I possibly could in one day. I rode every ride at Hollywood Studios by 1130 then moved onto DLP. I loved not having to be strategic about getting my fast passes and just walking around the parks without racing back and forth between attractions. I was also able to use the single rider line for thing like Crush’s Coaster, and got asked to go to the front of the line for RC Racer as they needed to fill a single seat, so that sped up my progress and made it possible to go on some rides more than once. The total for my parc ticket and single use fastpass ticket was 164 euros, quite steep, but worth it for a likely once in a lifetime day. If I had my daughter or nieces with me there is no way I would have paid for this as the cost would have been too much. Hollywood Studios has also started a program called Lineberty where you need to schedule character meet and greets on an app, this lessens line lengths, but at 10am meet and greets were already full for the day, there is no option for a standby line. I saw so many kids upset because there was no option for them to see characters, I really hope this never makes it to Florida.

We have been to Universal a few times during President's Week, which has always seemed to have very high crowd levels. We stayed at the Pacific Royale and so had the express pass.

My impressions were that our wait times were overall much less than what FP lines have reached at Disney. I'm not sure if I would pay extra for the pass if we stayed off property, but it was a nice perk.

Now I'm afraid (irrationally) that WDW will try to have three systems in place (if it might add to profits, I'd expect them to try). And, pessimist that I am, I think it would only worsen a not-great situation to begin with. I love Disney (with a love I don't feel for Universal), but it's for tons of reasons that don't include the queue experience. Just don't make that experience worse and make me pay more for it, please!

Sounds awesome, hopefully they bring this to WDW. Would LOVE to be able to buy fast passes.
Why? You must have a lot of disposable income because if/when this comes to WDW it will cost a fortune. It will also make already terrible wait times much worse. With all the paid events shortening park hours, CM cutbacks, and other things it is already tough to justify park tickets.

Why? You must have a lot of disposable income because if/when this comes to WDW it will cost a fortune. It will also make already terrible wait times much worse. With all the paid events shortening park hours, CM cutbacks, and other things it is already tough to justify park tickets.

I imagine it would be a new iteration of what they have in Paris. As pointed out previously, WDW is a different animal, so it will take a different structure to put in place.

I doubt they would make it so you need to buy it as length of stay (unless tied into a package for purchase), so you can probably pick days you'd like to use it on. One, two, nine...the more money you want to spend, the more days you can buy for. I'm sure they will attempt to make it available for all types of guests. Obviously those with more money to spend will get more out of it, as with anything.

Also, just to nitpick, the paid events aren't shortening hours. Outside of Halloween/Christmas parties (which aren't new), do we have an example of a paid event that has shortened park time?

Paying for FP would be awesome for me personally. No more having to worry about doing it 60 days in advance or not getting the ones you want. I'd even pay for early access to ADR's for harder to get restaurants. Making it more like Universal is right up my alley... less planning and paying for convenience.

Paying for FP would be awesome for me personally. No more having to worry about doing it 60 days in advance or not getting the ones you want. I'd even pay for early access to ADR's for harder to get restaurants. Making it more like Universal is right up my alley... less planning and paying for convenience.

I worry more about how pay to play FP’s, unless they charge an arm and a leg for them, would affect the leftovers for us plebeians.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter