Disneyland Paris goes full Universal

I bet soon. Pay to enter park and then you need a ticket to ride.

I hope they start to offer this! I would gladly pay $102 to ride any fast pass eligible ride I want at any time. Perhaps I wouldn't waste money on this at Epcot, but definitely MK, AK and DHS when Star Wars opens... (...starts saving money now...)

I really hate this idea. It's going to make getting on anything so much harder for everyone else. One of the things I like about Disney right now is that everyone is on more-or-less equal footing in regards to FP.

Everyone still gets the normal fast passes that comes with their reservations.

This is just like an upcharge event. Not that I think it will ever happen here.

Everyone still gets the normal fast passes that comes with their reservations.

This is just like an upcharge event. Not that I think it will ever happen here.

But if some are getting unlimited FP, it's going to greatly impact ride capacity for others. They'll either reduce the number of regular FP available and/or have longer waits in FP lines. I have no doubt this will increase standby waits. At park close and EMH, the lines move more quickly because they're not getting bumped for FP riders. Do the opposite, and you increase wait times overall.

I don't have a problem with upcharge events because they take place outside of regular park hours. Go pay $80 to ride 7DMT ten times before the park opens, and it doesn't affect my day. Add a few hundred (or thousand) people to the parks who can go to the front of the line over and over, and it's going to make waiting miserable for everyone else.

But if some are getting unlimited FP, it's going to greatly impact ride capacity for others. They'll either reduce the number of regular FP available and/or have longer waits in FP lines. I have no doubt this will increase standby waits. At park close and EMH, the lines move more quickly because they're not getting bumped for FP riders. Do the opposite, and you increase wait times overall.

I don't have a problem with upcharge events because they take place outside of regular park hours. Go pay $80 to ride 7DMT ten times before the park opens, and it doesn't affect my day. Add a few hundred (or thousand) people to the parks who can go to the front of the line over and over, and it's going to make waiting miserable for everyone else.

I didn't read it as riding over and over, I read it as you get one fast pass for each fast pass eligible ride that you can use anytime (that day) as you want.
I think Universal has what you are describing? The ability to be front of the line all day.

I don't think it will happen at WDW. But if it did, I wouldn't have an issue. We don't go but every few years, it's just the two of us and we go for 9 nights. I would have no qualms about spending an extra $200 for the fast pass. I know everyone can't do that, but they can still make their original 3. And I don't know how popular it would be anyways.
As long as it's offered to everyone for purchase, it's fair.

I agree. If you want to do the extra charge events to ride the same ride over and over, you are welcome to it.
I select my 3 fastpasses and that’s about all I need. Limit my access to picking those 3 at 60 days, and you affect me. It’s bad enough you have to make double sure to book the headliners right at 60 days deep into your trip.

I bet soon. Pay to enter park and then you need a ticket to ride.

This is the original structure of WDW back in 1971 when MK opened. Admission was low ($3.50 for adults; $1 for children), but then rides cost extra (10-90 cents, depending on ride). "A" tickets were for ordinary rides, and went up to "E" tickets for headliners. Sally Ride famously declared going to space, "definitely an E ticket," in reference to Disney's system.

My understanding is that Walt wanted everyone to be able to go to the park and enjoy themselves. Look around, see the sights, etc., even on a limited budget.

So while this development is weirdly reminiscent of the old system, it seems like a dark twist - pay a lot to get in and even more to ride. Yes, I know people will still be able to go on rides without an unlimited fast pass, but in practice, those without the pass will be able to do even less than they currently can.

My first trip to Disneyland (~1981) the movement of lines made the wait seem to pass quickly. The most recent trip was spent watching Fast Pass line moving quickly, my line not so much. If a ticket could be had, that put you in the quick line all the time, watch the attendance drop as people quickly realize the ~$100 entrance and ~$100 Fast Pass means a ~$200 per day fee. My family is priced out at the current time, and will be for some time to come.

My first trip to Disneyland (~1981) the movement of lines made the wait seem to pass quickly. The most recent trip was spent watching Fast Pass line moving quickly, my line not so much. If a ticket could be had, that put you in the quick line all the time, watch the attendance drop as people quickly realize the ~$100 entrance and ~$100 Fast Pass means a ~$200 per day fee. My family is priced out at the current time, and will be for some time to come.

I am with you. Too steep and even more important not worth it for me. Even unlimited passes (the super expensive option mentioned in the link) for rides I have done many times in the past is not enough value for me.

I didn't read it as riding over and over, I read it as you get one fast pass for each fast pass eligible ride that you can use anytime (that day) as you want.

There are two different classes. One has one 'anytime' FP access, the other has unlimited 'anytime' FP access.

I think Universal has what you are describing? The ability to be front of the line all day.

This is that.

I don't think it will happen at WDW. But if it did, I wouldn't have an issue. We don't go but every few years, it's just the two of us and we go for 9 nights. I would have no qualms about spending an extra $200 for the fast pass. I know everyone can't do that, but they can still make their original 3.

Well even the original three stand to be devalued by this. Right now FP allocation is based on time slots. In that way Disney can make a best effort attempt to reduce actual FP wait times to just a few minutes. That doesn't work so well if the number of people standing in the FP line is vastly higher than the time-slot allows, and since anyone who has paid a hundred bucks for an all-you-can-eat FP is incentivized to find out just how much they *can* eat, this can easily set up a vicious cycle where not having the FP extra is just waste of a park ticket. Then what? When everyone has Park Ticket + Ultimate Fast Pass, and lines are still long, do we see another up-charge to 'concierge level' which is just like 'Ultimate Fast Pass' except, you know, 'fast'.

If the goal is simply to keep pricing people out of the parks, or to follow an air-travel style bait-and-switch on base pricing, this is a good way to go. Otherwise, no. It just turns the parks into a playground for an increasingly smaller portion of the market, and if the goal is to have the parks operate as a force-multiplier for IP and merchandizing (which in the pre-Iger years, it seems like it was), it's stupidly short-sighted.

There are two different classes. One has one 'anytime' FP access, the other has unlimited 'anytime' FP access.

This is that.

Well even the original three stand to be devalued by this. Right now FP allocation is based on time slots. In that way Disney can make a best effort attempt to reduce actual FP wait times to just a few minutes. That doesn't work so well if the number of people standing in the FP line is vastly higher than the time-slot allows, and since anyone who has paid a hundred bucks for an all-you-can-eat FP is incentivized to find out just how much they *can* eat, this can easily set up a vicious cycle where not having the FP extra is just waste of a park ticket. Then what? When everyone has Park Ticket + Ultimate Fast Pass, and lines are still long, do we see another up-charge to 'concierge level' which is just like 'Ultimate Fast Pass' except, you know, 'fast'.

If the goal is simply to keep pricing people out of the parks, or to follow an air-travel style bait-and-switch on base pricing, this is a good way to go. Otherwise, no. It just turns the parks into a playground for an increasingly smaller portion of the market, and if the goal is to have the parks operate as a force-multiplier for IP and merchandizing (which in the pre-Iger years, it seems like it was), it's stupidly short-sighted.

How does Universal handle it?

I'm not sure why everyone is so upset. It's not happening at WDW. I'm just saying if it does, we'll fork over the money for it because we will find it worth it. Not for every day of our trip, but a couple.

This is that.

Best comment I have read on this thread or any thread recently.

Also, it states only a certain number of these unlimited fast passes are available per day and some days not available (probably holidays), so looks like there are some forms of controls already put in place.

I'm not sure why everyone is so upset. It's not happening at WDW. I'm just saying if it does, we'll fork over the money for it because we will find it worth it. Not for every day of our trip, but a couple.

Universal sells a limited number of Express passes, though I think they only run out on very high attendance days. The top level annual pass gets the one time per ride skip starting at 4pm, and the three expensive hotels come with unlimited express for the duration of your stay.

Universal sells a limited number of Express passes, though I think they only run out on very high attendance days. The top level annual pass gets the one time per ride skip starting at 4pm, and the three expensive hotels come with unlimited express for the duration of your stay.

Thanks! Seems like Disneyland Paris is also only selling a limited amount.

I'm sure in the end if Disney starts something like this in the states, it will be similar to Universal's program.

Universal handles it by limiting the number sold. Since there is a finite number of deluxe rooms, that also limits how many can get the room-based unlimited express passes.

Also, consider that Universal does not have the 3 regular FP for everyone. So in my (albeit limited) personal experience, the standby lines seem to move faster than those at Disney because Universal isn't adding the paid express passes on top of something else. Disney's standby lines are already slow because of existing FP users. To maintain current standby line movement, Disney would have to reduce the number of FP available with general admission.

I also found that Universal does a great job keeping the queues interesting. We had express passes last year, but we still made sure to go through the standby lines at Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts just because we didn't want to miss any of the excellent theming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter