Disneyland-Number of days

pistonfan32

Mouseketeer
I am a DVC member and am planning on going to Disneyland on 7/5-7/8. I have 4 and 12 year old boys. I am used to Disneyworld and have not gone to Disneyland in over 30 years. How many days should I plan for at the two parks at Disneyland? I was thinking 2 or 3.

I went with a party of five age 50 something, 2 twenty somethings, one 7 yr old, and 1 31/2 yr old and three days wasn't enough. Next time we go I will get a 4 day park hopper pass.
Course it depends how buzy it is also, 3 days might suffice if it is not peak times. I worked it like this
DL - EE
DL at opening then to DCA at opening
DL- and Toontown Morning Maddness
my DS and I lasted till about 6pm each night when he promptly crashed. If your 4 year old can last longer without a nap you might get more done than us. my 3 1/2 yr old couldn't calm down enough for a nap ;)

You'll be there in one of the highest crowd levels of the year, so I'd seriously consider 4 days or more. The days will be longer, but so will the lines! I'd expect the 50th celebration wave of attendance will still be in place, making the crowds that much larger in parks that much smaller than what you may be accustomed to at WDW.

If your DSs will let you, focus on the uniquely DL things: Fantasyland, Indiana Jones, Toontown, etc. If you aren't trying to do everything that will help a great deal.

Study DL's fastpass system (search for Hydroguy's posts/threads along with darkbeer's--two FP Masters :worship: ) and work the system, which is a little different than WDW's. Consider RideMax, a touring "optimization" program (http://www.ridemax.com).

My family spent three days in mid-December during a pretty low attendance time and we (OK, **I**) didn't feel like that was enough time. I didn't get enough magic and we didn't get everything experienced. I know that our pokey DS5 and two 70+ indulgent grandparents :love1: (was that redundant?) affected our touring speed which went from casual to positively sloth-like (maybe I'm exaggerating here--I have a caffeinated personality :hyper: ). Are your kids motivated?

There's my much-more-than two cents worth. Happy planning!

pistonfan32 said:
I am a DVC member and am planning on going to Disneyland on 7/5-7/8. I have 4 and 12 year old boys. I am used to Disneyworld and have not gone to Disneyland in over 30 years. How many days should I plan for at the two parks at Disneyland? I was thinking 2 or 3.

We did last week of June last year and did everything in 2 days .We had prefered seating to most shows and parades so we didn't have to show up until about 15 min before they started that saved alot of time.

Our 3rd day we just went on all of our favorite rides at Dl /CA.Fastpass IMO is way better at DL because everything is so close you can get more in before your time is up and returning to ride is not as far as a walk back.Also get your next fastpass for another ride.

We were just there for the first time this past spring. 2 days with the third to follow up on favorites or anything missed is more than enough. We even had plenty of time to check out the resorts around the parks.

When you are used to WDW, DL will seem very small. You can get through it very quickly. Make sure and take your camera..lots of nice photos to get.

We did 4 1/2 days in November, with only one day really crowded.
My kids are 11, 13 and 15 and we all agreed that we could have easily had another day or 2!!
We didn't "do it all", but did do our favourites many times.
I guess it all depends on what you are wanting out of your visit.

We have not been before and are unlikely (sob sob) to be getting back before our kids grow up, so we wanted to stay as long as we could and do as much as we could.
As you are a WDW veteran, a lot of things won't be new to you, ie you have seen it all before. As long as your 4 y/o can keep up, 3 days would probably be enough. If you wanted to take is easier, go the 4 day pass.

Have a great time! :sunny:

We were there 12/17-24 for our first trip. We only had 3 day hopper passes and wished we had had 4 or 5 day passes. I mainly toured around w/ DS7 & DS3. Missed ALOT of CA and even a few things in DL and so NO parades...not by choice, just poor planning.

I was very concerned about crowds before we left, but was pleasantly surprised at how easily we travelled around and all that we did get to see. The longest line we waited in was for Space Mountain...approx 25 minutes in standby line...but it was soooo worth it!

We went this past summer. We had 6 nights and a 5 day pass and felt that we needed it all! There were only the two of us this time and we didn't have time to swim in the pool, go back for a snooze or much goofing off...

We enjoyed seeing the fireworks and Fantasmic more than once, enjoyed a nice meal every afternoon after the crowds thinned, and closed the park each night. We like to hit our favorite rides several times and used fast pass to our advantage.

We could have done it in 4 days, but were trying to relax...

During our summer vacations we always have a 5 day park pass. We also go back to the hotel to relax, swim and eat dinner outside of the park. We always have more than enough time to get it all done in the five days. I also stay 8 days at the hotel to have that extra day at the hotel or whatever else. Mainly to get that extra relaxing day. We usually go in the beginning of July also. :earsboy:

I would say 3 days are adequate, so do a minimum of 3. We went for the first time last summer and went commando for 3 days. While we got to do most of our must do attractions, there were a handful of things we would have liked to have done, but didnt . I still hear from the kids how we didnt do Splash Mt or the Astro Orbiters (along with others). :rolleyes:

I think 4 is better and 5 would be ideal. It always amazes me when people say they can do both parks in 2 days. I feel it is impossible to do everything the parks offer in 2 days...and even 3.

We did 4 days at DLR in August and we felt it was one day short. Used the FP system explained elsewhere. Did most of what we wanted to accomplish but felt that when we return in June for 5 days we will have a better understand of how to maximize the time and minimize the mistakes we made. Do not want to overplan, it takes some of the fun away.

Checking the hopper passes recently and the fifth day for five people was only $50.00 more total! If your there anyway get the 5 day pass and maybe just hit a few rides that day. It also gives a more relaxing feeling the other 4 days knowing you don't "have to " get this or that ride done. That's the way i'm looking at it anyway. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter