Disneyland Newbie - how many days?

hllb

DIS Veteran
We live in MI so typically head to WDW. We were just there in January for a great trip. We are debating hitting California for next year's vacation in mid June. We're not going just for Disneyland, but figured we might go while we're there. I have enough points to stay at the Springhill Suites Anaheim Main gates for almost free. I'm wondering how many days to get tickets for? Would 2 be enough to hit the bulk of the big rides, or should we do 3 days and split the last day? Any other basic tips?

Also, if Star Wars Land opens before or during our visit, and we avoid that section, will that help us or make everything insanely busy?

We live in MI so typically head to WDW. We were just there in January for a great trip. We are debating hitting California for next year's vacation in mid June. We're not going just for Disneyland, but figured we might go while we're there. I have enough points to stay at the Springhill Suites Anaheim Main gates for almost free. I'm wondering how many days to get tickets for? Would 2 be enough to hit the bulk of the big rides, or should we do 3 days and split the last day? Any other basic tips?
I always recommend 3. The first two days you can spend making sure you can ride all the rides and the last day can be re-doing your favorites. If you've never been before, navigating can take some time

More time is always better! Especially with evening entertainment - it's hard to do everything that's available at both parks in two days.

I always recommend 3. The first two days you can spend making sure you can ride all the rides and the last day can be re-doing your favorites. If you've never been before, navigating can take some time
I've been there once, more than 20 years ago LOL.

Id say Atleast 3 but I dont think anyone that would post on here has ever been like yeah I was at disneyland for to long
Yes, I'm sure. Since we have just done WDW, we'll be focusing first on the things that don't exist at WDW.

Yes, I'm sure. Since we have just done WDW, we'll be focusing first on the things that don't exist at WDW.
Keep in mind the even though some of the rides are the same, they are different. Rides like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, and Pirates should NOT be missed. They are the same, but quite different!

I liked the vibe at DL better. And the food, OMG the food, lol.... For me, I wouldn't do anything less than 4, but I like to take it all in and not rush around. If you just want to hit the different rides, and don't care too much about food, then 2 or 3 days should be fine.

You should check out this thread if you haven't already, DLR Guide for WDW Vets there's lots of good tips in that but some of the information may be slightly outdated. If you get maxpass you can probably swing all the headliners in 2 days with one park each day. Saturdays are also a good time to go that time of year since all of the lower tier APs are blocked.

Keep in mind the even though some of the rides are the same, they are different. Rides like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, and Pirates should NOT be missed. They are the same, but quite different!
Yes, we'd likely hit all of those! We may skip things like PP and Dumbo though. Our youngest will be 9, plus 2 teenagers.

You should check out this thread if you haven't already, DLR Guide for WDW Vets there's lots of good tips in that but some of the information may be slightly outdated. If you get maxpass you can probably swing all the headliners in 2 days with one park each day. Saturdays are also a good time to go that time of year since all of the lower tier APs are blocked.
I'll check out that thread, thanks! I haven't done too much poking around yet.

Since you're not and likely not to be a frequent visitor, I would say minimum 2 days, but 3 is better.

I'd say at least 3 too. We usually do 4 or 5 so we don't feel the need to kill ourselves every day. With the extra days we can afford to arrive late, leave early, or head back to the hotel for an afternoon nap without missing anything we wanted to do.

At least 3 days. I strongly suggest park hopper tickets, too. It's such a short walk between the two parks.

Well, that thread is making me decide not to buy plane tickets for a while LOL...unfortunately, I think we'll have to buy them before opening day is announced.
Most bets around here are on June 21st or thereabouts for opening day (based on the AP blockout calendars). So, if that helps your flight plans at all...

Most bets around here are on June 21st or thereabouts for opening day (based on the AP blockout calendars). So, if that helps your flight plans at all...
Right now, we have arrival on the 15th planned. We can't come earlier because the kids don't get out of school until the 14th. If the 21st is correct, we could do all of our touring Monday through Wednesday and totally skip the crazy. It might actually make the crowds smaller too...maybe LOL. That would work out for us. We're planning a trip to WDW in 2020 or 2021 to see Star Wars Land there.

I wouldn't count on significantly smaller crowds -- maybe "smaller" compared to "insane"! There are many people here who are planning trips specifically to avoid SWGE, so DLR won't exactly be a ghost town from January through June. In early June there will be Grad Nites and the usual crowds of families taking kids who just got out of school. Also, the lower APs will be getting their last visits to DL before being blocked until the end of August or early September. It just won't be the absolute zoo that it will be for years after SWGE opens.
But even a crowded time at DLR is still better than a crowded time anywhere else, right? And with good planning and organization, you can have a great trip.

Yes, we'd likely hit all of those! We may skip things like PP and Dumbo though. Our youngest will be 9, plus 2 teenagers.

I can see skipping Dumbo (though many adults like it), but PP is utter Disney magic for all ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter