Disneyland Honeymoon - how many days?

jackieleanne

DIS Veteran
Hi

Me and my Fiance have been to Disney World many times, an I have been to California myself once when California Adventure first opened(Pre Cars land).

We will be visiting the US from the UK for our honeymoon and are wanting to do a split stay with 1 week in California and 1 week in Orlando.

I will likely be booking the Grand California for the Disneyland part of our stay. We would arrive on the 26th April in the afternoon so would be looking to do the parks from the Monday. Would you recommend a 4 night stay with 3 days in the park or should I go for a 5 night stay and 4 day ticket?

I would probably be booking a hotel around Studio City to do Universal/WB/Hollywood for the remaining time in Hollywood.

Thanks

I always think more park days are better. You'll have more time to enjoy the park atmosphere, take in the details, maybe do a tour or a character meal without feeling that you're missing out on rides or shows, re-do favorite rides or shows, etc. You'll be visiting after Easter and peak Spring Break, so the parks may be back on the non-peak schedule by then. That means shorter hours, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only, less staffing, etc. More days in the parks will give you the time you need to do everything you want at a less stressed pace.
These threads from the stickies at the top of the first page (* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!) have lots of great planning information:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets
HydroGuy Tips Compilation
"What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889
"Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/

Thank you for all the links, will definitely be doing the Maxpass. I think I may go for the four park days then and maybe stay at one of the hotels on South Harbor BLVD instead. Looks like I can get a lot better deal staying at one of those and some look like they are even closer than the onsite hotels.

If staying offsite I take it you can still do character dining at the Grand Californian etc?

Just looking at the historic park hours etc :O Do they really only show Fantasmic at weekends during the off season? Looking at this may have to go into the park on the Sunday as well just to see Fantasmic so may have to use some of our park ticket.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the links, will definitely be doing the Maxpass. I think I may go for the four park days then and maybe stay at one of the hotels on South Harbor BLVD instead. Looks like I can get a lot better deal staying at one of those and some look like they are even closer than the onsite hotels.

If staying offsite I take it you can still do character dining at the Grand Californian etc?

Just looking at the historic park hours etc :O Do they really only show Fantasmic at weekends during the off season? Looking at this may have to go into the park on the Sunday as well just to see Fantasmic so may have to use some of our park ticket.

Any guest can enjoy the character meals at the GCH or the other on site hotels -- no park ticket or hotel reservation required. Obviously, for character dining inside DL, a park ticket is required.
During the off season, F! is weekends only. Fireworks are also usually weekends only. WOC usually shows every night. If you start your ticket on the Sunday and decide you would like to add a 5th day, that can easily be done at the ticket booths before the end of your 4th day. It doesn't cost that much to add a 5th day, so that might be something to keep in mind.
Staying off site at DLR can be a very good deal compared to staying on site. Both options have their pros and cons, but both can work very well at DLR. The thread from the stickies on Finding the Right DLR Hotel for You is a very good resource.

Last edited:

As theluckyrabbit just said, it is inexpensive to add a 5th day. To go from a 4 day ticket to a 5 day ticket adds only $15. We always have 1 more park day than hotel nights. We go in the afternoon we arrive and also the morning/afternoon of the day we depart.

On my honeymoon, we did 5 nights and 5 days in the park. We arrived in the early evening on the first day and did not go to the parks. On our last day, we had a late flight so went to the parks until mid-afternoon. We also stayed at the Grand Californian and loved it! Congrats on your wedding!

Any guest can enjoy the character meals at the GCH or the other on site hotels -- no park ticket or hotel reservation required. Obviously, for character dining inside DL, a park ticket is required.
During the off season, F! is weekends only. Fireworks are also usually weekends only. WOC usually shows every night. If you start your ticket on the Sunday and decide you would like to add a 5th day, that can easily be done at the ticket booths before the end of your 4th day. It doesn't cost that much to add a 5th day, so that might be something to keep in mind.
Staying off site at DLR can be a very good deal compared to staying on site. Both options have their pros and cons, but both can work very well at DLR. The thread from the stickies on Finding the Right DLR Hotel for You is a very good resource.

Thank you for all your help. Definitely looking at this option now. I will likely be using the max pass also so 5 day ticket would be good as I can then perhaps do a tour like Walking In Walt's Footsteps on one of these days. We both love Disney as well as History, an have done the Key's to the Kingdom at Magic Kingdom so would love to experience this.

On my honeymoon, we did 5 nights and 5 days in the park. We arrived in the early evening on the first day and did not go to the parks. On our last day, we had a late flight so went to the parks until mid-afternoon. We also stayed at the Grand Californian and loved it! Congrats on your wedding!

Thank you.

We honeymooned at DLH and I remember correctly, we were there for a week, spent 5 days in the parks and went to Universal on one day and got a car and driver for a Hollywood tour the other day. This was back in 1999 so no DCA and no FP, it was a much different experience than it is now!

I have never been to Disneyland. We go to Disney World every other year for Family vacation. My fiancé and I are getting married this coming September and taking our Honeymoon in Disneyland as well. We will be going in Feb 2020. At first we were just going to stay for 3 days and then head to Aulani, in Hawaii for the remainder of our honeymoon. After reading posts and watching videos, I have changed our timeline. We are staying in Disneyland for 5 days now, then heading to Aulani for 8 days. I didn't want to feel rushed, since this will probably be the one and only time we go to Disneyland. However, we do live in the middle of the country so either coast is accessible, but we like the convenience of Disney World. (meaning dining plans and the such, compared to Disneyland) I think the more days will be better, I wont feel like I need to rush around and get everything done in 1 day. I decided to spend 4 days in the parks. 2 days for each park, so I can take my time and enjoy everything I want to enjoy.

I would def do 5 days, as others have mentioned, there is lots to do, and you can def look at a specialty tour etc. Staying offsite does give you extra budget for really good meals, tours etc :) You can always book a deluxe resort at WDW too with the extra $ saved. Have fun with your planning, everyone here is super helpful!

Hi

Me and my Fiance have been to Disney World many times, an I have been to California myself once when California Adventure first opened(Pre Cars land).

We will be visiting the US from the UK for our honeymoon and are wanting to do a split stay with 1 week in California and 1 week in Orlando.

I will likely be booking the Grand California for the Disneyland part of our stay. We would arrive on the 26th April in the afternoon so would be looking to do the parks from the Monday. Would you recommend a 4 night stay with 3 days in the park or should I go for a 5 night stay and 4 day ticket?

I would probably be booking a hotel around Studio City to do Universal/WB/Hollywood for the remaining time in Hollywood.

Thanks
I agree with theluckyrabbit - more park days is always better! :)

Hey honeymooners, since it sounds like you are planning ahead, you may want to look into the ultimate splurge of spending one night in the Disneyland Hotel Fairytale Suite, aka the Honeymoon Suite. It's very pricey, around $1500/nt including tax (!), but it's gorgeous and very romantic, and you get concierge-level access and VIP seating for a nighttime spectacular. You can find pics online. Happy wedding planning!

Hi

Thanks
5 park days.

Hey honeymooners, since it sounds like you are planning ahead, you may want to look into the ultimate splurge of spending one night in the Disneyland Hotel Fairytale Suite, aka the Honeymoon Suite. It's very pricey, around $1500/nt including tax (!), but it's gorgeous and very romantic, and you get concierge-level access and VIP seating for a nighttime spectacular. You can find pics online. Happy wedding planning!

I wish I could fit that into our budget! princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!