Disneyland help!

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
I go to WDW every year, but I will have my first trip to DL/DCA with my son. He gets a DAS at WDW and also a pass to use stroller as a wheelchair. I am very familiar with Disney World, but running into a lot of questions about Disneyland!

1) Will I be able to get the DAS before park open? What time does the Chamber of Commerce open?

2) We are a family of 6, but my youngest is just 2. My dad is coming the first two days to help. Since we have 6 ticket holders (2 YO doesn’t need one), he can be on the DAS right? The last day, my dad will not be there, but I will have two different family members there to help, so we will have 7. Can we all be on a DAS if we ask?

3) At Disneyland, I am concerned as to how it works with going to the exit of rides for wheelchair loading. We can just go in the normal queue at WDW. Will the 7 of us (6+baby) be able together?
How does this work with DAS? For example, at WDW, I might get a DAS for Peter Pan and ride IASW while we wait. My understanding is I will be issued a return time for the rides requiring a separate exit. So, if I get a DAS for Peter Pan and would like to ride IASW (or another ride where we can’t go through the queue), is that an issue because I can’t have two return times? Or do they just let me in the wheelchair entrance with no return time? On that note, is there any reason to get a FP or return time for rides with a wheelchair entrance? So, at WDW there is no reason to get a DAS because you will go into the same line regardless.

Thanks! I know these are a lot of questions, but they will impact my touring plans. We also have 2 days on our own, so we may need to move some of the rides to the days there are just 6 of us!

Any other tips are also appreciated!

1. Please be aware that they are a lot more strict on giving out the DAS at Disneyland than at Disney World, so be fully prepared with what the needs are for the DAS. Chamber of Commerce/City Hall are open if there is even a single guest in the park. You can definitely get both it and a stroller as a wheelchair sticker, but again be prepared with why you need both (need, not diagnosis)
  2. The 2 year old will not be added to the DAS and will not be counted. How it works when you return to an attraction really depends on the attraction, but in general it won't be an issue, except at rides like Mr. Toad's wild ride where really only two people can fit in a single vehicle.
  3. At DCA all queues are fully accessible, so without a DAS return time you would enter the regular queue. At Disneyland, there are still some that are not accessible and you would be given a return time, but unlike the DAS, to get a wheelchair return time, the person in the wheelchair has to go to the attraction. A DAS return time can be obtained from any kiosk by any member of the party as long as they all have their tickets with them. The other difference is you have something like a one hour window to return within on a wheelchair return time, with a DAS return time, you can return any time after the return time.
Even with a DAS, I strongly recommend MaxPass, you can get a FP return time while in line for another attraction and you can keep doing this, plus you get all of the digital downloads. Really I cannot emphasize enough how much this reduces stress and a lot of extra traveling to the kiosks/attractions for return times. Yes, you will still need some, but honestly since getting Maxpass I have only renewed my DAS once in the past year because that day I wanted to do some attractions that didn't have FP and had longer lines. Also, in general because many FP return times are almost immediate (or are immediate), you end up waiting less with Maxpass than with a DAS and can get a lot more done.

When are you planning on visiting? I ask, because there may also be some tips based on the time of year.

Thanks so much! We will be visiting in mid-August. I hope it won’t be an issue getting a DAS, but I can’t see it being a problem. My son has Down syndrome and has meltdowns in lines. He hits himself or others when frustrated. The last few times at Disney they haven’t even asked us why he needs one...I think they could tell based on how he dealt with the line at Guest Relations.

Fair enough, I just wanted to set expectations. Mid-August, you will have a decent amount of crowds as it will still be summer and it will be towards the end of Pixar Fest, not sure what black out dates on APs look like for your exact dates, but they start to get lifted around this time. So again I would strongly recommend MaxPass in this case. It is $10 extra per person, per day, but it could make a world of difference for you, especially in your case. For example, let's say you have a return time for Pirates, while waiting you could get a FP for Haunted Mansion (you can get another FP immediately after scanning your ticket at the first machine or when your time to get another FP is available, which ever occurs first) and by the time you are off of Pirates, it is time for your FP at Haunted Mansion, while in line get a FP for Splash Mountain, again once you are done with the ride, it could be time for your FP for Splash Mountain. On your way to Splash Mountain, get a return time for say Peter Pan, while in line at Splash get a FP for Big Thunder, etc.

It really is incredible how well this works and may be money well spent, ultimately your decision, but definitely a huge help in my book.

Also, be prepared for the unpredictable weather, it can be incredibly hot during the day and cool off to where you may need a sweater or light jacket at night (depending on where you are from). It can also stay warm the entire time or we could be in the 70s, you never really know. Rain is possible, but very unlikely.

I have to echo what cmwade77 said, Maxpass is a must get for us! It works so well when combined with the DAS that we found we used more fast passes and fewer return times.

Another vote to strongly encourage MaxPass. I go with my Mom who needs a wheelchair right now, and we definitely make more use of our MaxPass than the wheelchair return times. And I think cast members like that we do fastpass instead. Also of note, Small World and Dumbo now noth have integrated mainstream lines that wheelchairs and ECVs can go through. THose are both from their most recent refurbs and are nice and shaded. For Dumbo, we just wait, and for Small World, we get a fastpass.

1. There are cutomer service kiosks throughout the park marked with a green umbrella. You can get a DAS there along with stroller as a wheelchair sticker. I’d highly recommend going there instead of City Hall (there is always a long slow line at city hall) on your way to your first ride. This is where you will get your return times too.
2. 6 ticket holders on the DAS so baby doesn’t count. You should be okay
3. Your understanding is correct here. That is how we tour the park.

Maxpass is great if you can afford it.

You can get a DAS issued at the kiosks? I know you can get return times, but I thought the DAS needs to be issued by actual guest services.

You might want to let the Moderators know. The FAQ doesn't indicate this, but it hasn't been updated since 2015.

You can get a DAS issued at the kiosks? I know you can get return times, but I thought the DAS needs to be issued by actual guest services.

You might want to let the Moderators know. The FAQ doesn't indicate this, but it hasn't been updated since 2015.

I wonder if they are referring to a "ticket booth" style structure as a kiosk? As far as we know, you still must meet with a CM to be issued a DAS (or even a stroller as a wheelchair tag).

I know you can get the stroller as wheelchair tag at the kiosks as that is where my friends typically go instead of stopping at guest services. Not sure about the full DAS card though.

I know you can get the stroller as wheelchair tag at the kiosks as that is where my friends typically go instead of stopping at guest services. Not sure about the full DAS card though.
I’ve had my DAS re-issued at the main board where they post wait times near Jolly Holiday at Disneyland instead of at City Hall. They definitely will issue it at that station.

When my husband and I went to Disneyland in May I had no problem obtaining the DAS Pass at the information kiosk inside Tomorrowland. So yes, the kiosks can absolutely issue the initial DAS Pass.

I am not sure if they can be issued at the kiosks, I do know they can be renewed at the kiosks and they use the same equipment as issuing them, so I don't see why not. The difference is there would be a little more privacy inside guest relations. Not sure about the stroller as a wheelchair thing as that is actually a roll of stickers, so they may or may not have those at the kiosks.

I'm going to echo that in mid-August if I were taking a trip I would 100% get the MaxPass if it's doable for you. Good luck and have fun!

I am not sure if they can be issued at the kiosks, I do know they can be renewed at the kiosks and they use the same equipment as issuing them, so I don't see why not. The difference is there would be a little more privacy inside guest relations. Not sure about the stroller as a wheelchair thing as that is actually a roll of stickers, so they may or may not have those at the kiosks.

Disneyland doesn’t keep record of your DAS on your account the same way as WDW when you need to get it re-issued. You have to go through the whole process again. I’ve had to explain my needs for a DAS at the kiosk to get it re-issued.

Just got back - we had no issues getting a DAS at city hall. The gates open at 8:30 and the park at 9:00, so we arrived early and had plenty of time. My sister and her husband arrived for one day in the trip and we were able to have a party of 7 without an issue.

Overall, I felt Disneyland was much more difficult for us than WDW. I liked some aspects of the kiosks (getting Radiator Springs while at Disneyland), but Disneyland was too difficult with the main entrances to rides not accessible and cast members who didn’t seem to give a hoot. We rope dropped Space Mountain, only to wait 15 minutes for an employee to come the the exit to let anyone in a wheelchair on the ride. Many people had already ridden by the time someone came out to greet us. On tea cups, we were told that they would wave us in when it was time to come. They did not and the cast member we finally talked to said we should just get on the rides and not wait for anyone. It also felt awkward going through exits on rides like Pinocchio. My son is in a double stroller as a wheelchair (we also have a baby) and people were exiting. There was no room to get by which always led to issues.

It was easier the second day when we learned where exits were, but for a first-time visitor it is very confusing and I always felt in the way and like cast members were annoyed they had to deal with us. I rarely felt that was at Disneyworld.

cast members who didn’t seem to give a hoot.
I always felt in the way and like cast members were annoyed they had to deal with us.
That sucks. My experience is from 13 years ago, but I felt the CMs went beyond what was expected.

We rope dropped Space Mountain, only to wait 15 minutes for an employee to come the the exit to let anyone in a wheelchair on the ride. Many people had already ridden by the time someone came out to greet us.
I was there alone, but there was another apparently large party they made split up. I was waiting with some of them, there was a rpocket pulled off the track, but we had to wait for the rest of their party to come through the standby line.

Maxpass is so worth it! I didn’t have my son with me, but I went last October and had mobility challenges and ended up renting a wheelchair everyday I was there. Having used the DAS multiple times at WDW abs Maxpass at Disneyland, I made the comment that I don’t think I would have needed to bother with a DAS because the Maxpass worked just as well for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter