Disneyland - Counter Service

StarSpeckledSky

DIS Veteran
Hello! Originally we were going to reserve for Cafe Orleans (which we'll still do in the future), but because we have such limited park time, we listened to a recommendation from a DIS member and dropped the idea. We're going to be in SWGE from 11am-3pm, but we don't want to wait forever in there for a meal, so we'll probably just eat "linner" somewhere around 3:30-4pm.

We want a quick, yummy meal. To get a sense of our party - it'll be me, dad, and my 3 year old sister. I heard the Plaza Inn fried chicken is legendary and I'm sure that I'D be a fan, but my dad's another story and I heard that other options at Plaza Inn weren't really good. So my question is, what counter service restaurants that serve a medium portion are worth it at Disneyland? I say medium because we'll have a Hungry Bear Fantasmic dining package reservation at around 6:30pm.

Thank you! :)

Since Plaza Inn is out (you're right the fried chicken is amazing!), I am a fan of Bengal BBQ (food on a stick!) for a snacky type meal. It can be pretty filling without being overly so and everyone can get the number of skewers that suits their appetite. If you like Mexican, Rancho del Zocalo is another of my favorites but it can be filling with the rice and beans.

Since Plaza Inn is out (you're right the fried chicken is amazing!), I am a fan of Bengal BBQ (food on a stick!) for a snacky type meal. It can be pretty filling without being overly so and everyone can get the number of skewers that suits their appetite. If you like Mexican, Rancho del Zocalo is another of my favorites but it can be filling with the rice and beans.
Sounds good, thank you!

My favorites are all kind of sourdough bread bowls...(that’s my main food when I am at DL...) those are also a pretty good value in my opinion...
they are quite filling in I my opinion so it might even work out to split one for the three of you...if it is just supposed to be a „bigger snack“ (you could add some Mickey ice cream bars as dessert from a cart along the way to your next ride)

(FWIW I‘ve been a pretty picky eater when I was little and have always loved the steak gumbo you can get at the royal street veranda)

My favorites are all kind of sourdough bread bowls...(that’s my main food when I am at DL...) those are also a pretty good value in my opinion...
they are quite filling in I my opinion so it might even work out to split one for the three of you...if it is just supposed to be a „bigger snack“ (you could add some Mickey ice cream bars as dessert from a cart along the way to your next ride)

(FWIW I‘ve been a pretty picky eater when I was little and have always loved the steak gumbo you can get at the royal street veranda)
Sounds great! ;)

Corn Dogs at DL are also quite amazing. Jalapeño cheese filled pretzel at Coke corner is a great snack. Jolly Holiday is also great and probably less filling than other meals.

Another vote for Jolly Holiday (they have sandwiches and salads, along with some really yummy dessert options). I also like the Red Rose Tavern over in Fantasyland.

Corn Dogs at DL are also quite amazing. Jalapeño cheese filled pretzel at Coke corner is a great snack. Jolly Holiday is also great and probably less filling than other meals.
I've heard about the corn dogs! Are they different at different locations?

Another vote for Jolly Holiday (they have sandwiches and salads, along with some really yummy dessert options). I also like the Red Rose Tavern over in Fantasyland.
Yeah, actually we'd go to Jolly Holiday but we're already planning a stop there for breakfast :P. I heard that Red Rose was good!

I've heard about the corn dogs! Are they different at different locations?
I've always had good luck with the corn dogs at the Little Red Wagon. The corn dogs are very similar at Stage Door Cafe, but I've had some there that were overcooked, so I prefer LRW. Plus, there's something charming about the popularity and following that little wagon has.

I've always had good luck with the corn dogs at the Little Red Wagon. The corn dogs are very similar at Stage Door Cafe, but I've had some there that were overcooked, so I prefer LRW. Plus, there's something charming about the popularity and following that little wagon has.
Sounds good, thanks for the info. :)

Am I the only one out there that likes or even knows about the chili cheese fries at Smoke Jumpers? It’s a HUGE portion. They use waffle cut fries there and to me it is the best deal in the entire DLR when you consider price and how filling it is. It costs 7 dollars I think and its as filling as the bread bowls that cost 5 dollars more. It may look kinda gross with a big spoonful of chili just dumped onto the fries and cheese so maybe that’s why people don’t like it so much.

Am I the only one out there that likes or even knows about the chili cheese fries at Smoke Jumpers? It’s a HUGE portion. They use waffle cut fries there and to me it is the best deal in the entire DLR when you consider price and how filling it is. It costs 7 dollars I think and its as filling as the bread bowls that cost 5 dollars more. It may look kinda gross with a big spoonful of chili just dumped onto the fries and cheese so maybe that’s why people don’t like it so much.
Honestly never heard of them! :P

French Market and Rancho del Zocalo have tasty meals that are very shareable. Filling enough without being too filling. Harbor Galley is another option or Royal Street Veranda. Jolly Holiday works well, too. You can find all the menus on the DLR website, and there should be plenty of food photos on the Disney Food Blog or other sites. Be sure to have a credit card on file on the app so that you can use Mobile Ordering to save time!

This sounds great! I’ve honestly never been in there... I’ll see if so can fit those in my plan... thanks...

French Market and Rancho del Zocalo have tasty meals that are very shareable. Filling enough without being too filling. Harbor Galley is another option or Royal Street Veranda. Jolly Holiday works well, too. You can find all the menus on the DLR website, and there should be plenty of food photos on the Disney Food Blog or other sites. Be sure to have a credit card on file on the app so that you can use Mobile Ordering to save time!
Okay, thank you!

My favorite counter service is Red Rose Tavern (mobile ordering made it so easy, plus the grey stuff-yum!!!) and Jolly Holiday is good as well. I’m not a fan of the corn dog wagon as mine was burnt to a crisp when I got mine and it was gross, but the line was far too long to take it back. Plaza is good, but we have local fried chicken that is far superior so it wasn’t anything to write home about to me, but it was decent. But I definitely think mobile ordering is the way to go to get save you the most time. Have fun!

My favorite counter service is Red Rose Tavern (mobile ordering made it so easy, plus the grey stuff-yum!!!) and Jolly Holiday is good as well. I’m not a fan of the corn dog wagon as mine was burnt to a crisp when I got mine and it was gross, but the line was far too long to take it back. Plaza is good, but we have local fried chicken that is far superior so it wasn’t anything to write home about to me, but it was decent. But I definitely think mobile ordering is the way to go to get save you the most time. Have fun!
Thank you! Mmm grey stuff sounds good. :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter