Disneyland Christmas Disappointment

msekteermom

Earning My Ears
I'm hoping to get some feedback here. I'm a Disneyland annual pass holder. Just came back from a weekend trip and had the worst experience with rude cast members.We had a suite at the Grand Californian and were assigned to the concierge floor. I was confused and thought we had concierge access (thought I messed up the reservation) and tried to access the lounge when my 16 month old was hungry and were waiting for the bell staff to bring up our luggage from storage. we had been waiting 40 minutes for the bags and she was crying at this point. Obviously my key didn't work and I asked a cast member for help. She was very condescending and demeaning, like that's not the right key and you don't even have access here. I felt so stupid and humiliated at the end of the exchange. I complained to guest services and was given free dining vouchers. I took them because it's not like the manager can change anything at this point. I felt like it was her way of trying to make it right and I appreciated her effort. The horrendous behavior continued throughout the weekend. For example, we had tickets for WOC dessert party and was seated in an area without a waitress. After waiting 25 minutes, had to ask another waiter to bring us sodas please. He did with the understanding he was not our waiter. Waitress finally showed up, apologized, brought us 1 round of sodas and we never saw her again. I wanted a photo of all of us, but she never came back. My daughter started crying after the show began and my husband decided to take her back to the room. She was tired and we didn't want to disturb other guests enjoying the show. It's dark obviously, there used to be cast members around with flash lights if you needed to leave the area to help you see. No cast members to be found anywhere. The exception being the two that opened the ropes, helped themselves to hot chocolate and left. So he carried her out in the dark trying to find his way, walking slow hoping not to trip. We checked out the following day and I was trying to track down an amazon package that I had delivered to the hotel. It was a part for my stroller that I needed, but I was never told the package was there by the bell staff. The line was always 30 minutes (approx) long when I went down there. Upon asking about the package, I'm told well I can try to find it if you give me the tracking number but no promises I may never find it. He brought it out a few minutes later and stood there waiting for a tip. I finally had to tell him tips were not a guarantee they are earned and he fell short. I get home and find clothing I had purchased as a gift still had the security tag on it. I now call the merchandise number on the bottom of the receipt. I'm told to send it back with the prepaid label and maybe in 15 business days if the merchandise is in stock I would get a replacement. If not, I should see a credit on my account. My frustration has reached epic levels at this point. I send an email to customer service and receive this response that states he's sorry about the security tag, I was given dining vouchers for the "inconvenience" at the hotel, so it's no longer an issue, and the park is busy at this time of year so I should expect this. I don't expect to be treated like garbage no matter what time of year I go. I am appalled by this behavior from cast members, customer service, etc. Free food does not excuse humiliating anyone, and if you don't care about your customers perhaps customer service is not the appropriate department for you to be working in. My family feels that my expectations are unrealistic, cast members are lazy and rude and not to expect any help from them because they don't want to be bothered. I honestly don't know what to think at this point. I do know I'm done with the parks for awhile and this makes me sad as I enjoy sharing my love of Disney with my daughter and reminiscing about the times I shared with my dad at the parks (he's very sick and no longer able to talk/walk). Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I am not shocked by any of this. We were yearly pass holders for over 10 years and let ours expire. With poor customer service, overcrowded parks and high prices, we no longer feel Disney fits us. It was really disappointing at first because I was raised at Disney and had many vacation with my parents in the parks. Every once is a while we get the itch and we'll take a trip over for a day (we live outside of Tampa now), it doesn't take us long to look at each other and say "what the hell were we thinking?".

I would like to tell you that you will get satisfaction from talking to customer service, I don't think you will. Disney basically prints money with the parks & merchandising and someone else will fill the void that you (and me) leave. I understand the frustration but I learned the Caribbean fits me better.

That's too bad you had such a bad experience with CM's. The ones I've interacted with have been great. As far as your merchandise goes, just bring it back to any Disney store with the receipt and they'll take that security tag off for you. I've had this happen before and while It's annoying they'll fix it for you.

That sounds frustrating and I can understand how maybe just one of these issues wouldn't have been a big deal ( or as big a deal) but cumulatively, they can really put a damper on your trip.

There is no question that customer service across the Disney brand is not what it once was. There are still lots of great CMs, but there are more and more who are liable to take out their frustrations on guests. The company has learned (unfortunately, but probably correctly from a bottom-line perspective) that the way to make more profit is by introducing a constant stream of new cutting-edge rides, advertise them heavily, and cut costs where possible. I think most people who visit any Disney park for a few days have 1-2 experiences similar to yours; you just had the bad luck of having them pile up consecutively.

I do also think that the steep price increases over the past 10 years make all of us feel more entitled to a 'perfect' experience, which is never going to happen.

As another point of reference, we went to Universal Orlando in August, and while it was an awesome, awesome, awesome trip, we definitely had a WIDE range of experience with team members. Many of the team members were great and added to our family's experience, especially everyone in the Harry Potter shops and food spots. But wow, some of them were hilariously worse than anything we ever saw or experienced at Disney. As just one example, a kid (not one of ours) slipped on the deck at Bilge Rat Barges, and the team member bizarrely yelled at the kid - I saw the whole thing (I was waiting with our baby in the rider swap pen), and the kid did nothing wrong and seemed really upset. It's hard to imagine that at any Disney park.

Sorry to hear this. I have experienced the same crappy customer service at the Grand Californian. I stay there because I own DVC there, and love the theming. But for the very high cost of the hotel I am surprised how everything is always crowded, usually there is a long line at check in, and customer service can be lacking. I do think going with a toddler makes Disney trips more stressful. I have a 17 month old so I know when things don't go well it upsets me more than it would otherwise, since traveling with a child that age is tough even in ideal circumstances.

Unfortunately, I am not shocked by any of this. We were yearly pass holders for over 10 years and let ours expire. With poor customer service, overcrowded parks and high prices, we no longer feel Disney fits us. It was really disappointing at first because I was raised at Disney and had many vacation with my parents in the parks. Every once is a while we get the itch and we'll take a trip over for a day (we live outside of Tampa now), it doesn't take us long to look at each other and say "what the hell were we thinking?".

I would like to tell you that you will get satisfaction from talking to customer service, I don't think you will. Disney basically prints money with the parks & merchandising and someone else will fill the void that you (and me) leave. I understand the frustration but I learned the Caribbean fits me better.

It doesn't fit you, you're right, leave. They owe you nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter