Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #3!- HOLIDAYS BEGIN 11/12/13!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While watching "A Home for Thanksgiving" and "A Very Merry Mix Up" I had on my DVR from the Hallmark Channel (enjoyed both by the way) I transferred by Photopass CD to my Photoshop Elements. I had the PP+ and with borders had 250 photos. I was happy with my haul.

Here is one of my favorites:
Photo0085FourBySixwatermark_zps59191442.jpg

TK --

What a cute photo of you and the family! Don't you just love that Petting Zoo? It's so cute!

Did you catch the movie-by-movie review/reply to you that I posted here a few days ago (including the Hallmark movies, the Lifetime movies, ABC Family and the Ion/Up movies)? I posted it after you mentioned liking Fir Crazy and not being thrilled with Santa Switch. I mentioned which ones are my favorites of this year, and which ones will be staying on the DVR! Some of the ones that ended up being favorites are movies that I didn't think I liked at first glance.

Jenny -

Nope. Vons brought the Impostor Slow Churned variety of Peppermint Wonderland (translation: the inferior variety that is basically almost white with peppermint bits instead of pink with peppermint bits, and it's bland). Sigh. Oh well. At least they tried to get it right. At least they were on the right track with the Peppermint Wonderland name, and didn't grab me a carton of Egg Nog ice cream or Superbowl ice cream!

I posted the photos below on Christmas day, and was hoping people would try to guess where they were taken, as I am fairly certain that at least a couple of them are in places that may have been overlooked by this year's wave of DLR holiday travelers. Some of them are really obvious, but others not as much so.

I wanted to post more photos in the next day or two but before I do, just in case anyone was guessing at the locations of some of these photo subjects, let me give that info now. This way, if anyone still has yet to leave for their holiday trips -- or may still be at DLR -- and they want to look for any of these things they will know where to find them!

I will list the locations of the photos at the bottom of this post!

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light
From now on,
our troubles will be out of sight...

From my trip a couple of weeks ago...Can you recognize where all of these holiday sights were located around DLR, or where I was when I took the photos? (Some of them will be obvious! Lol.)

IMG_9357.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9482.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9543.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

IMG_9910.jpg

IMG_9912.jpg

IMG_9943.jpg

IMG_9951.jpg

IMG_9955.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

Through the years
We all will be together,
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

PHOTO LOCATIONS

Photo #1 - The tree at the Paradise Pier Hotel (which has too much clunky clutter beneath it, compared to previous years).

Photo #2 -- The tree/hearth at the Grand Californian Hotel.

Photo #3 - The (slightly wicked-looking) Snowman loaf of bread situated near the entrance to the bakery tour at Boudin Bakery. You can also see the candy cane loaf of bread. There was also a Christmas tree loaf as well. During Halloween Time they have a pumpkin loaf.

Photo #4 -- This was a window display in Hollywood Land, decorated to look like a retro scene with an old television. The TV featured this snow holiday scene. I think it was on the side of the Off the Page shop, if I recall, but I could be wrong about that.

Photo #5 and Photo #6 -- Flowers anchored to the front of the Candlelight Processional and Ceremony stage. There is a mix of real flowers and artificial flowers. In 2012 these flowers were some of the most vibrant and beautiful I had seen at DLR thus far, but this year the roses and red flowers were a little duller in color and not as vivid. Still, though, it is a striking display and I was not the only person taking many photos of it! (These are gone now, as they can only be viewed during the time the CP is happening.)

Photo #7 -- The best view I have had thus far at the Paradise Pier Hotel. I have had some great views there for the last several years, but this one was, by far, the best. Can you see the Christmas tree on the Pier?

Photo #8 -- The new-for-2013 reindeer at the entrance to the Grand Californian Hotel. There are quite a few of them around the entrance, greeting guests as they drive/walk up. The one that was closest to the guard station took a tumble during some high winds, but the rest of his family remained intact. (These reindeer might be gone from the hotel -- along with other hotel decorations -- as soon as New Year's Day rolls around.)

Photo #9 -- An ornament on one of the many Christmas trees in Club 33. Who knew that Club 33 would be such a hotbed o' Christmas trees, but it is! There were small trees and medium-sized trees all around the restaurant, in the hallways, etc. It was lovely!

Photo #10 and Photo #11 -- The tree in the Adventure Tower of the Disneyland Hotel. I love the themed details! (This, too, may be gone as soon as New Year's Day hits.)

Photo #12, #13 and #14 -- The gorgeous tree in Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Hotel. The candles smell like a cross between coconut and cocoa butter. I was told that some of the exotic flowers on the tree were real and some were artificial, but I'm not sure which were which!

Photo #15 -- Another themed tree -- this time, in the Frontier Tower at the Disneyland Hotel.

Photo #16 -- Kooky garland at the entrance of D Street in Downtown Disney.

Photo #17 -- The tree by the window of Catal in Downtown Disney. I don't recall seeing a tree at Catal in the past, but I may have missed it. All of the DTD businesses seemed to be really 'in the spirit' this season, which I loved.

Photo #18 & Photo #19 -- One of the many beautiful floral arrangements at the charming Main Street Flower Market. I loved this particular one because it reminded me of a wintry forest.

Photo #20 -- One of the trees inside the Market House/Starbucks. This was the tree closest to the Flower Market.

Photo #21 and Photo #22 -- Thanks to Jamie's tip, I ventured into Ariel's Grotto to inspect this tree. You don't have to go into the dining room to see it -- it is right near the entrance/front door. I loved it! My only issue with this tree is that it is located against a backdrop of a big window that casts annoying light when trying to take a photo. It was almost impossible for me to get a halfway decent photo of the tree from a distance because of that big window behind it, but I loved that the tree had a full underwater theme. Unlike the tree at the Paradise Pier Hotel, which seems to be relying on its stunning colored lights to give off the underwater vibe, the Ariel's Grotto tree was really committed to the undersea theme, with "schools" of fish swimming together in certain sections, and seahorses grouped together in other areas -- just like you would see in the ocean.

Photo #23 -- A window display at Julius Katz & Sons in California Adventure.

Photo #24 -- One section of the small gingerbread house in White Water Snacks at the Grand Californian Hotel. You have to actually go into WWS and walk towards a back wall to see this house, but because I saw the 2012 version I knew where to find it this year. I loved that Santa's 'sleigh' was made of candy canes! (The WWS house is always a smaller variation of the house in Storytellers Cafe. The designs of each display are never exactly the same, but a lot of the details each year are mirrored in both houses, like the trees made of candy canes, the figures, etc.)

Photo #25 -- This is part of a window display on the side of the Mickey in Paradise gift shop (in the Paradise Pier Hotel) that is closest to the PCH Grill/Surf's Up with Mickey. Even though there is a door there and the people who enter/exit through that door will see this window, I think that a lot of people who enter and exit the PPH another way will miss it completely because it is literally tucked around a corner, out of sight! I only saw it for the first time in 2010, and I'm not sure if the display had been there during my previous years' PPH stays.

Anyway, I particularly wanted to give the locations of these photos now, before the hotel stuff vanishes, so people have a chance to check out some of these wonderful details over the next few days. I am guessing that any of the above-shown examples of decorations in and around the hotels may be in danger of disappearing immediately after January 1st. I don't think Disney will keep the hotel decor up through January 6th. So you probably don't have much time to catch them.

And the Candlelight flowers are totally gone, of course. But everything else should still be around for at least a few more days, and other things will be around through January 6th.

Honestly, I saw so many wonderful trees and different themed decorations this year, everywhere I went, that it was hard to keep up with! I'm glad I had the number of days I had, or I would have missed a lot...and yet, I think I still missed a lot!

I have always loved the holiday season at DLR, of course (hence, this Superthread!), but I felt like everything was much more Resort-wide and all-encompassing this year, even more so than in the past. It really seemed to me like there were little bits (or big bits) of holiday magic everywhere. Sure, there are a couple of areas that could stand to have more decor (and Fantasyland is an obvious choice, as Jamie has said), but even that area had a few new touches this year in the Fantasy Faire location.

I loved every bit of it! I felt totally immersed in Yuletide splendor. This was truly one of my best DLR trips -- and certainly one of my best holiday trips -- ever, for many reasons!

Sherry I'll have to go back and re-read your post about the movies. There are several I'm keeping on my DVR as well so I can have a little Christmas any time.

I guessed correctly on many of your excellent photos! :banana:

Sherry I'll have to go back and re-read your post about the movies. There are several I'm keeping on my DVR as well so I can have a little Christmas any time.

I guessed correctly on many of your excellent photos! :banana:

TK --

I thought it was further back in the thread, but this was the post where I gave my movie-by-movie recap: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50334866&postcount=3689. It seems like it was pages ago, but it was just on the previous page!:rotfl2:

Out of all of the movies we watch each year, you know the movies have to be better-than-usual if we are keeping them on the DVR!:rotfl2:

I am not sure how to go about watching Lifetime movies after they have aired on Lifetime. I don't have an On Demand Lifetime channel, but maybe other folks do?

In any case, if you can locate A Snow Globe Christmas online somewhere, or On Demand, I think you'd like it! That's the only one I would really say is a must-see for this year, from Lifetime. Otherwise, who knows if it will be repeated in 2014?

As for Hallmark, I gave my verdict on my favorites of this year. I wish I had been able to watch Fir Crazy in its entirety but I didn't and now it won't be on TV again until at least November, if not later.:sad: Why can't Hallmark have an On Demand channel?

I am so eager to find out what you think of The Christmas Ornament and Let It Snow -- both keepers, in my opinion! I think they are up there with the best of this year's crop of movies but I am wondering if you will have a different opinion!

Thanks, TK -- I knew that you would have to recognize the photos at the GCH locations, at the very least. I thought you might recognize some of the Disneyland Hotel stuff. I was having a hard time getting any 'good' pictures on this trip, but I got a lot of crappy ones!:rotfl2:

Sherry I went back and found the post :santa: I watched "The Christmas Ornament" and "Let it Snow" this afternoon. I really liked "The Christmas Ornament" but I've got to say that "Let it Snow" so far is my favorite of 2013. I was in tears towards the end and I thought the chemistry between the two leads was great. Throw in a horse drawn sleigh and you've got Christmas movie magic!

Watching "Hats off to Christmas" right now.

Awesome family pic TK!

Thanks Mike! It was a great trip being all together.

I can't tell you how impressed we all were with BVS and Carsland. Especially Carsland. :thumbsup2

We are back and had a fabulous time! We went with my 3 kids, husband, my FIL, my SIL and my parents. The kids traveled so well. We stayed at Paradise Pier with FIL and SIL. They surprised us with a free room upgrade with a park view and we had adjoining rooms as requested. The hotel was fabulous, service was very fast and no complaints. The joining rooms were perfect. Kids slept very well and loved the princess stories on the TV. We got the Christmas in room celebration package and it was awesome. The kids loved it so much and we had a lot of items included. Definitely worth it IMO. Booking it was so easy and I'm sure getting it helped us get our upgrade, as I had asked the person to make it extra special! :)

We were there for 6 nights and used a 5 day park hopper. We used our early morning every day (except Christmas Day, when just my husband and SIL used it). It was a great way to get extra rides in before the crowds. Most days we spent until lunchtime in the park, then went home for rests, then headed back in for supper/evening.

We loved Cars Land! So cool. I love that the cars drive around the area. The RSR was great! We saw the Christmas parade and it was fabulous. We had great spots sitting on the curb of main street. Went on quite a few rides, both big and small.

Crowds: Before Christmas and Christmas Day were definitely less busy than the 26th and 27th. That being said it wasn't too bad still. We avoided the park in the afternoons that day and spent time at the pool. We tried to do more on the first 3 days in the park, as we had predicted the crowds being busier after the 25th.

Meals: We did Goofy's kitchen buffet for Christmas Eve and it was fabulous. A ton of character interaction, food was great and everyone had a wonderful time. We had a Goofy's kitchen breakfast which was also very good. We also did Ariel's on our last day. While it was nice to see the princesses, it was my least favorite of the character meals, as the princesses basically just said hello, signed the book, took a picture and moved on. While at Goofy's the characters were more interactive.
For Christmas Day supper we went to Storytellers and it was wonderful. The food was delicious!

We are planning on going back in 4 years for Christmas again. This time I think we will add an extra night, so we have an extra day for the pools, etc.

Beautiful weather the entire time and everyone stayed well the whole trip. We are now all recovering from a bug we caught upon arrival home.

I'm sure I will think of more, but that is it for now.

Sherry

Your pictures are amazing as always :-)

I have been sucked into watching the Hallmark channel, and I love it!!! I have already seen the commercials for the 12 new Christmas movies that will begin airing Nov 1st 2014 !!! Lol

Sherry I went back and found the post :santa: I watched "The Christmas Ornament" and "Let it Snow" this afternoon. I really liked "The Christmas Ornament" but I've got to say that "Let it Snow" so far is my favorite of 2013. I was in tears towards the end and I thought the chemistry between the two leads was great. Throw in a horse drawn sleigh and you've got Christmas movie magic!

TK --

I know! Isn't Let It Snow great?! Oh, I'm so glad you loved it too -- I was wondering if you would find the same charm in it that I did. It's not that it is different than the other yearly holiday movies -- it's predictable and extra-sweet too, as they all are -- but for some reason it just grabbed me. I loved her reaction when she wakes up on Christmas and finds the candy in her shoes. I loved that the lodge celebrated Christmas in different ways, borrowing traditions from Italy, France and Switzerland. I loved the lodge people (the parents). I like how Candace Cameron Bure realizes all that she has been missing by not celebrating Christmas, and how she really loves the whole celebration.

I think it might be my favorite of 2013 as well, and among my favorites of all of the Hallmark/Lifetime/ABC Family/Ion/UP movies.

I really liked The Christmas Ornament as well, but I liked it more on the second viewing...and the little twist (which is where the title of the movie holds the most meaning) at the end is very sweet.

Hats Off... is cute, but I don't think you will enjoy it more than Let It Snow. I could be wrong, and maybe your favorite will change, but I think Let It Snow will remain at the top of the heap!

Liza/funatdisney saw Let It Snow as well -- she mentioned it when I saw her at DLR a couple of weeks ago -- and she also really liked it.

We are back and had a fabulous time! We went with my 3 kids, husband, my FIL, my SIL and my parents. The kids traveled so well. We stayed at Paradise Pier with FIL and SIL. They surprised us with a free room upgrade with a park view and we had adjoining rooms as requested. The hotel was fabulous, service was very fast and no complaints. The joining rooms were perfect. Kids slept very well and loved the princess stories on the TV. We got the Christmas in room celebration package and it was awesome. The kids loved it so much and we had a lot of items included. Definitely worth it IMO. Booking it was so easy and I'm sure getting it helped us get our upgrade, as I had asked the person to make it extra special! :)

We were there for 6 nights and used a 5 day park hopper. We used our early morning every day (except Christmas Day, when just my husband and SIL used it). It was a great way to get extra rides in before the crowds. Most days we spent until lunchtime in the park, then went home for rests, then headed back in for supper/evening.

We loved Cars Land! So cool. I love that the cars drive around the area. The RSR was great! We saw the Christmas parade and it was fabulous. We had great spots sitting on the curb of main street. Went on quite a few rides, both big and small.

Crowds: Before Christmas and Christmas Day were definitely less busy than the 26th and 27th. That being said it wasn't too bad still. We avoided the park in the afternoons that day and spent time at the pool. We tried to do more on the first 3 days in the park, as we had predicted the crowds being busier after the 25th.

Meals: We did Goofy's kitchen buffet for Christmas Eve and it was fabulous. A ton of character interaction, food was great and everyone had a wonderful time. We had a Goofy's kitchen breakfast which was also very good. We also did Ariel's on our last day. While it was nice to see the princesses, it was my least favorite of the character meals, as the princesses basically just said hello, signed the book, took a picture and moved on. While at Goofy's the characters were more interactive.
For Christmas Day supper we went to Storytellers and it was wonderful. The food was delicious!

We are planning on going back in 4 years for Christmas again. This time I think we will add an extra night, so we have an extra day for the pools, etc.

Beautiful weather the entire time and everyone stayed well the whole trip. We are now all recovering from a bug we caught upon arrival home.

I'm sure I will think of more, but that is it for now.

blue888 -

Thank you so much for coming back here to report on your trip!:cool1: I feel somehow invested in the outcome in all of our first-time holiday season visitors and I am always very curious to know how things went! Sometimes people don't come back here to tell us what happened!

I'm so, so happy that your trip was a good one! I, for one, love Goofy's Kitchen and it always bums me out a bit when people say they have had horrible experiences there. Imagine my glee to read your positive review of your 2 Goofy's experiences.

I also really enjoy Storytellers for dinner -- I have never eaten there on Christmas Day, but I like their food anyway (especially the delicious spaghetti with fresh herbs).

And that is amazing that you got upgraded to a park view room! I can't get enough of those park view rooms. Whenever I am in the room I gravitate towards the window, whether it's early morning, afternoon or late at night. I always have to look out at DCA and see what's happening.

Four years! You have a long time to go before your next DLR holiday trip. It should be interesting to see what is happening at DLR at that time -- like, for example, will there be a Christmas party at that point, will there be more or less decor in the parks, hotels and Downtown Disney, etc.? But I cannot blame you for wanting to add an extra night. I never seem to have enough time to really do all that I want to do, see all that I want to see, etc.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sherry

Your pictures are amazing as always :-)

I have been sucked into watching the Hallmark channel, and I love it!!! I have already seen the commercials for the 12 new Christmas movies that will begin airing Nov 1st 2014 !!! Lol

Pinup Mommy --

Thank you so much for the very kind words. You're so sweet!:goodvibes

I took a lot of photos on this trip -- more than I have in the past -- but, for some reason I was not happy with maybe 90% of them, for various reasons. Either they came out blurry no matter what I did, or the lighting was bad (too dark or too bright), or people would waltz through the shot at the exact moment I snapped...or I just found them boring. Usually I will come back with a few pictures I'm really excited about, and this year I was kind of blah about most of them.

Not that there weren't tons of things to take photos of at DLR. I think there was more decor all around DLR (DTD and hotels too) than in the past. Also, I was at Club 33 and that should have been a photo bonanza for me, but it wasn't. I am very disappointed in myself for getting as few Club 33 photos as I did.:confused3 :sad: But, there are a few new ones -- boring or bad though they may be -- for next year's Theme Week Countdown, so there's that... :rotfl2::rotfl2:

See? This is what I've been telling everyone -- that Hallmark Channel Countdown to Christmas is addictive!:rotfl2: Whether it's the 12 new movies or the reruns of the movies from past years' Countdowns, it sucks people in! I now have probably 8 or 10 of those movies from various years stored on the DVR, even though I know they will probably do a Christmas In July weekend, as well as show all of these movies in November and December 2014. Why do I have them saved? I'm not sure. But they hooked me and lured me into their evil web with all of their upbeat, good-natured, predictable holiday stories!:rotfl2:

I saw that commercial advertising the next Hallmark Countdown to Christmas (with 12 new movies) beginning on Saturday, November 1, 2014 -- and I squealed with delight! There are many people who think the Hallmark movies should not begin until post-Thanksgiving, but I'm glad they start early!

blue888 -

Thank you so much for coming back here to report on your trip!:cool1: I feel somehow invested in the outcome in all of our first-time holiday season visitors and I am always very curious to know how things went! Sometimes people don't come back here to tell us what happened!

I'm so, so happy that your trip was a good one! I, for one, love Goofy's Kitchen and it always bums me out a bit when people say they have had horrible experiences there. Imagine my glee to read your positive review of your 2 Goofy's experiences.

I also really enjoy Storytellers for dinner -- I have never eaten there on Christmas Day, but I like their food anyway (especially the delicious spaghetti with fresh herbs).

And that is amazing that you got upgraded to a park view room! I can't get enough of those park view rooms. Whenever I am in the room I gravitate towards the window, whether it's early morning, afternoon or late at night. I always have to look out at DCA and see what's happening.

Four years! You have a long time to go before your next DLR holiday trip. It should be interesting to see what is happening at DLR at that time -- like, for example, will there be a Christmas party at that point, will there be more or less decor in the parks, hotels and Downtown Disney, etc.? But I cannot blame you for wanting to add an extra night. I never seem to have enough time to really do all that I want to do, see all that I want to see, etc.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks! We were surprised we were upgraded too since we had 2 rooms (adjoining for 6 nights). In fact I was the first to notice since the kids were busily unwrapping the in room celebration. It was a great surprise. :)

The kids loved looking out at it. I'm not sure if it is something we can normally budget, but it was great to have.

We also didn't mind the walk to Paradise Pier. I would definitely stay there again. A top notch hotel. Another note: we had an issue with our safe, so we went down to tell the lobby. We literally went straight to the lobby and then back up. By the time we returned to our room they had already fixed it.

Thanks! We were surprised we were upgraded too since we had 2 rooms (adjoining for 6 nights). In fact I was the first to notice since the kids were busily unwrapping the in room celebration. It was a great surprise. :)

The kids loved looking out at it. I'm not sure if it is something we can normally budget, but it was great to have.

We also didn't mind the walk to Paradise Pier. I would definitely stay there again. A top notch hotel. Another note: we had an issue with our safe, so we went down to tell the lobby. We literally went straight to the lobby and then back up. By the time we returned to our room they had already fixed it.

I agree -- I don't think the walk to and from the PPH is bad either. When I stayed there the very first time (in 2000) there was not an option to "cut through the GCH lobby" so we had to walk a longer route. In 2007, when I returned to the PPH, I think my friends and I still thought we had to walk the long route (following the signs on the PPH property), and it seemed like we were walking to and from New York!:rotfl2:

Finally I read (here on The DIS) about the short cut through the GCH, and once I discovered that there was no looking back! Now I have come to look forward to walking that path on each trip.

I think that a lot of folks tend to assume that the PPH is much farther away than it actually is (which is also why I think the PCH Grill is usually half-full or less than half-full), not realizing that the front entrance of the PPH is across the street from the front entrance of the GCH. Once you get used to taking the short cut and know the lay of the land, it doesn't seem long at all, really.

That's great that they got the safe issue taken care of so fast. It sounds like the trip was wonderful in so many ways -- and that in-room celebration sounds fantastic!

Hi everyone! We had an incredible & magical Disney Christmas vacation & most of it is in due & thanks to everyone on this DIS thread & the many other threads too! My DH, DS18, & DD13, stayed at the GCH for 7 nights, 12/19 -12/26. We had a room with a DTD view & it was wonderful!

Our highlights of the trip; the Fantasmic dessert on 12/20, seating, the desserts & hot chocolate were the most delicious treats I had the whole time!!! The Holiday Tour on 12/21 was terrific, I wasn't sure how my teenagers would like the tour, but they loved the VIP treatment of going right by the lines of Haunted Mansion & ITASW (& almost Jingle Cruise, but we didn't make it, but did receive a "fast pass" for, but had already been on the "cruise". ) the very best part of the tour - besides the peppermint marshmallow pop in DCA - was the front row seats to the 5:30 Holiday parade with hot chocolate & gingerbread Mickey cookie!

We also did the WCT- WOC dinner on Christmas Eve. The food & service at WCT was very good, but our viewing area for WOC got over filled so we didn't see as much of the show as I would have liked. And one man asked my daughter to turn off her 'glow with the show ears' because they were too distracting!!! There were only about 50 other people in our section who also had the glow ears on...go figure! The audience participation game you play with your smart phone before WOC was lots of fun & made waiting for the show to start much easier!

We spent a lot of time on 12/23 at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, saw Santa, Mrs Claus, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, the Country Bears and had no lines! We also watched the Hillbilly Christmas Show & had lunch at Big Thunder BBQ. HIGHLY recommend BTBBQ if you like ribs, chicken, etc. it's all you can eat & drink. For my DH & DS that was great!

Cars Land is cool, we were there one night as the lights went on 'route 66' and seeing the street slowly light up was amazing! We rode RSR about 6 times, we mastered the EMH & the wide right technique, which really works! Plus it's worth it to get a FP to ride RSR at night when all the lights are on, it's a totally different ride. :-)

Unfortunately many nights it was too windy to do the fireworks, but the snow & castle lighting is always gorgeous to watch. We did see the fireworks from our room a couple nights.

Christmas Eve night we stayed in DCA till 11pm, then went to DL where we rode Dumbo when the clock struck midnight & it was Christmas Day!! The castle must have had extra pixie dust because it was spectacular!!!

Christmas Day got to 82 degrees which was really warm, especially for us Oregonians! We spent a lot of time on 12/25 at Viva Navidad, which was just like JJJ, but with a Latin America feel, it was very shady, relaxing & we saw the parade/show too, plus pics with many characters here!

Overall our trip was incredibly special, I've had "Christmas at Disney" on my wish list for a very long time. Though as much as we all loved the time of year, not sure I want to handle the BIG crowds again? Next on the list is Halloween at Disney....is that as busy as Christmas?

Thanks again for all the useful information, advice & tips which helped to make our trip so magical! And a GIANT thank you to Sherry for all your time & energy in making this thread so amazing!!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Ps, I did get the Dryers Wonderland Peppermint Ice Cream at Gibson Girl, but it was very soft & melted everywhere. :-(

Sherry I have to say our experience with Goofy's Kitchen was not great. The food was fine, the service was very friendly but after an hour and a half we still hadn't seen two of the characters that were visiting other groups and our table was such that it was almost impossible to take any pictures that weren't just head shots with me bent over a wall backwards to take them.

Strike two for my family and Goofy's kitchen. Quote from DH "We don't need to do that again for big bucks".

Hi everyone! We had an incredible & magical Disney Christmas vacation & most of it is in due & thanks to everyone on this DIS thread & the many other threads too! My DH, DS18, & DD13, stayed at the GCH for 7 nights, 12/19 -12/26. We had a room with a DTD view & it was wonderful!

Our highlights of the trip; the Fantasmic dessert on 12/20, seating, the desserts & hot chocolate were the most delicious treats I had the whole time!!! The Holiday Tour on 12/21 was terrific, I wasn't sure how my teenagers would like the tour, but they loved the VIP treatment of going right by the lines of Haunted Mansion & ITASW (& almost Jingle Cruise, but we didn't make it, but did receive a "fast pass" for, but had already been on the "cruise". ) the very best part of the tour - besides the peppermint marshmallow pop in DCA - was the front row seats to the 5:30 Holiday parade with hot chocolate & gingerbread Mickey cookie!

We also did the WCT- WOC dinner on Christmas Eve. The food & service at WCT was very good, but our viewing area for WOC got over filled so we didn't see as much of the show as I would have liked. And one man asked my daughter to turn off her 'glow with the show ears' because they were too distracting!!! There were only about 50 other people in our section who also had the glow ears on...go figure! The audience participation game you play with your smart phone before WOC was lots of fun & made waiting for the show to start much easier!

We spent a lot of time on 12/23 at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, saw Santa, Mrs Claus, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, the Country Bears and had no lines! We also watched the Hillbilly Christmas Show & had lunch at Big Thunder BBQ. HIGHLY recommend BTBBQ if you like ribs, chicken, etc. it's all you can eat & drink. For my DH & DS that was great!

Cars Land is cool, we were there one night as the lights went on 'route 66' and seeing the street slowly light up was amazing! We rode RSR about 6 times, we mastered the EMH & the wide right technique, which really works! Plus it's worth it to get a FP to ride RSR at night when all the lights are on, it's a totally different ride. :-)

Unfortunately many nights it was too windy to do the fireworks, but the snow & castle lighting is always gorgeous to watch. We did see the fireworks from our room a couple nights.

Christmas Eve night we stayed in DCA till 11pm, then went to DL where we rode Dumbo when the clock struck midnight & it was Christmas Day!! The castle must have had extra pixie dust because it was spectacular!!!

Christmas Day got to 82 degrees which was really warm, especially for us Oregonians! We spent a lot of time on 12/25 at Viva Navidad, which was just like JJJ, but with a Latin America feel, it was very shady, relaxing & we saw the parade/show too, plus pics with many characters here!

Overall our trip was incredibly special, I've had "Christmas at Disney" on my wish list for a very long time. Though as much as we all loved the time of year, not sure I want to handle the BIG crowds again? Next on the list is Halloween at Disney....is that as busy as Christmas?

Thanks again for all the useful information, advice & tips which helped to make our trip so magical! And a GIANT thank you to Sherry for all your time & energy in making this thread so amazing!!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Ps, I did get the Dryers Wonderland Peppermint Ice Cream at Gibson Girl, but it was very soft & melted everywhere. :-(

So happy to hear about your trip! We too liked the Fantasmic dessert package. Christmas Day at Disney is indeed a magical thing.

Sherry I have to say our experience with Goofy's Kitchen was not great. The food was fine, the service was very friendly but after an hour and a half we still hadn't seen two of the characters that were visiting other groups and our table was such that it was almost impossible to take any pictures that weren't just head shots with me bent over a wall backwards to take them. Strike two for my family and Goofy's kitchen. Quote from DH "We don't need to do that again for big bucks". So happy to hear about your trip! We too liked the Fantasmic dessert package. Christmas Day at Disney is indeed a magical thing.

I felt the same way about Goofy's Kitchen up until the past trip. It's the kids' favorite so they were disappointed I hadn't booked it, but it had never been great to us. Due to a hotel room snafu, the DLH gave us vouchers to eat there, but because we didn't make prior reservations the best time we could get was 8:10pm later in the week. At first I thought it was going to be a disaster given how late it was, but it was amazing! So much character interaction and they kept back over. I think I mentioned Alice sat down on the floor with my kids and had a tea party. So now it's a must do for us, but only if we can get a late time!

Finally home after 3 weeks of vacation. We were at DLR from the 22nd-25th and, as a WDW vet, I have to say that I am in LOVE with DLR. The cast members were fabulous, POTC and Space Mtn are SO much better than at WDW, the Holiday Magic Tour was worth every penny (and then some). I was expecting terrible crowds, but it wasn't bad at all. We ate at Flo's, Cafe Orleans (monte cristo sandwich = perfection), Goofy's Kitchen, storytellers. We rode California Screamin' 14 times, and were the first non-EMH people to get on RSR one morning. Loved it all. The holiday overlays on HMH and IASW were terrific!! Can't think of a better way to spend Christmas. (We loved the level of decoration, btw). Happy New Year, everyone. Thanks for all the advice that was posted here.

Anyone know if the character goodnight is happening on Christmas Eve at DLR this year?

Searched through the forum and this thread and wasn't able to find anything about it...

To answer my own questions, we were able to find many of the characters dressed in PJs and available for photos. There wasn't a set character goodnight though.

This is the first time we've seen characters dressed in PJs.

It's now almost two weeks since we have returned from our trip. We had a wonderful time in California with many great experiences. We love the Christmas season at the Disneyland Resort. Next year I will have a lot of pictures to share in the superthread!

1480582_697100453654172_1875394645_n.jpg

Thanks Mike! It was a great trip being all together.

I can't tell you how impressed we all were with BVS and Carsland. Especially Carsland. :thumbsup2

That's what its all about! This was our first time for Carsland for Christmas and we all thought they did a great job of it. Of course I poured over every photo I could find from the year before.

My wife has finished our video we took of the family and a friend that came with us and for the first time in our many trips and videos she does I'm going to share it with all of you. Hope you all enjoy! If all goes well I will post it in the next post.

Uploading taking a little longer than expected. Here is a World of Color-Winter Dreams shot.

World of Color by KC MikeD, on Flickr

Happy new year!

Here now and it's been great. Different than past trips but still wonderful. No regrets!

Loved the holiday tour- would recommend for sure!

Crowds are not as bad as I expected - thank goodness! If we didn't have a 2 yr old and stroller this would be much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter