Disneyland and Channel Islands NP Itinerary

Novatrix

Dreamfinder-in-Training
So I'm trying to put together an itinerary for the end of May beginning of June for a solo trip. This will be my first (and likely only) visit to Disneyland and the other sights in the area. I'm also hoping to run the Mountain 2 Beach marathon on this trip, and get in a dive day in the Channel Islands.

Any thoughts on whether the following would work?
Fri- stay LA - fly in and stay overnight near LAX,
Sat - stay Ventura - La Brea Tar Pits, Malibu State Park, pick up bib
Sun - stay Anaheim - run marathon in the morning, check-out of hotel, drive down to Anaheim checking out Griffith Observatory, check into hotel and explore Disney hotels/Downtown Disney
Mon - stay Anaheim - Disneyland w/park hopper
Tues - stay Anaheim - Disneyland w/park hopper
Wed - stay Anaheim - Disneyland w/park hopper
Thurs -stay Ventura - Disneyland in the morning, start making my way back up to Ventura again stopping off at any interesting sights along the way
Fri - -stay Ventura - 3 tank Dive trip with Spectre boats
Sat -stay Ventura -Ultimate Sea Cave Kayak Tour of Santa Cruz Island
Sun - fly home

How does the itinerary look? Any suggestions on places to stop off on the Ventura-Anaheim transfer days?

It does seem a bit silly to be in Ventura, go down to Disneyland and then back up to Ventura again, but neither the diving nor the kayak tour would be available earlier in the week. Also, it doesn't look like a particularly long drive.

I was originally think of staying 4 nights in the Ventura area, then 4 nights in Anaheim, but then I wouldn't be able to dive on this trip and it sounds like the kelp forests are something that should be experienced at least once.

So I'm trying to put together an itinerary for the end of May beginning of June for a solo trip. This will be my first (and likely only) visit to Disneyland and the other sights in the area. I'm also hoping to run the Mountain 2 Beach marathon on this trip, and get in a dive day in the Channel Islands.

Any thoughts on whether the following would work?
Fri- stay LA - fly in and stay overnight near LAX,
Sat - stay Ventura - La Brea Tar Pits, Malibu State Park, pick up bib
Sun - stay Anaheim - run marathon in the morning, check-out of hotel, drive down to Anaheim checking out Griffith Observatory, check into hotel and explore Disney hotels/Downtown Disney
Mon - stay Anaheim - Disneyland w/park hopper
Tues - stay Anaheim - Disneyland w/park hopper
Wed - stay Anaheim - Disneyland w/park hopper
Thurs -stay Ventura - Disneyland in the morning, start making my way back up to Ventura again stopping off at any interesting sights along the way
Fri - -stay Ventura - 3 tank Dive trip with Spectre boats
Sat -stay Ventura -Ultimate Sea Cave Kayak Tour of Santa Cruz Island
Sun - fly home

How does the itinerary look? Any suggestions on places to stop off on the Ventura-Anaheim transfer days?

It does seem a bit silly to be in Ventura, go down to Disneyland and then back up to Ventura again, but neither the diving nor the kayak tour would be available earlier in the week. Also, it doesn't look like a particularly long drive.

I was originally think of staying 4 nights in the Ventura area, then 4 nights in Anaheim, but then I wouldn't be able to dive on this trip and it sounds like the kelp forests are something that should be experienced at least once.

I went to Griffith Obs last Saturday. There is NO place to park...add time for a loooooong hike up the road.

Parking at Griffith Park Observatory is crazy these days. I remember just parking there with so much space. The Channel Islands is on my bucket list.

I'd look at google maps and check out traffic.
You have a LOT of driving time that you dont' seem to be allowing for.
It doesn't LOOK particularly long, but LA traffic is BAD.

Ventura to the tar pits is a good 90 minute drive each way.

I'd also count on almost 3 hours to get from Ventura to Anaheim.

I already changed my itinerary slightly (plan is now Friday night to drive straight to Ventura, then do La Brea Tar Pits and the Griffith Observatory on the way down to Anaheim on Sunday).

Edited this post because upon reflection I realized what I originally posted sounded pretty arrogant. Anyway, I live in the NYC metro area and I routinely commute by car 2.5 hours one way, so I'm both used to heavy traffic and "long" drives. I did account for traffic in my plans, and I have driven in LA once before and didn't find it too bad.

While there were a lot of cars, and it was different to merge onto the highway on the right and then need to cross 6 lanes for a left hand exit, the LA drivers were significantly less aggressive than the NJ/NY drivers I typically contend with.

As with everything else in life, it's all relative. It's like saying you like "long" hikes. That's a subjective statement, not a quantifiable one, and what is long for one person would be a warm-up for another.

Last edited:
Hi,
I went whale watching out of the port i Ventura/Oxnard over the weekend. From LA, it took us 2 hours to get there, and that doesn;t include getting from the OC to LA. This was a Saturday. UGH. Pad your driving time!

Hope you enjoyed your whale watching trip!

Fingers crossed, I will report back after the trip with both how the diving and kayaking went.

I might need to add a traffic report on how LA traffic compares with NYC, Boston, DC, and holiday weekend in the Florida Keys to give people a comparison to other "high traffic" areas. :)

Live in VTA/Oxnard . Great job changing out your itinerary, allowing for times and traffic issues, especially after running a marathon. Watch traffic maps! 90 minutes may turn into 4 hours (as usual)

"Reservations" everywhere now. Masking ' off-on' is still still required in many areas in the 805 county /town/city.

Islands great for diving, camping, kayaking, hiking, fishing . Bring a light windbreak jacket/ pants, and tie down headgear.

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter