Disney World or Disneyland for first timer?

You all gave me a lot to think about! Yes I worried about fastpass this close to the trip and restaurant reservations. I really want to go to Disney World but I don't want to spend hours in line or not to go on rides.

Sounds like you may have already made your decision, but I'll dissent: Disneyland!!!

I've been to both WDW and DL about the same number of times. Hate the shear amount of real estate, the lines, crowds, and now all of the planning involved with WDW.

The kids and I did DL in August 2017 and I have to say, it was our best vacation yet. For me: I chose DL because it's small, manageable, and doesn't require so much advanced planning. I developed health issues after cancer treatment (a few years back now), and now tire much more easily. I'll be walking along fine for a while and then boom, instantly tired. The kids told me I should get one of those scooter things but I was determined to walk, to make it without. I loved having a room right across the street from DL. I could go back to the room when I got tired, rest, and return to the parks when I was ready. The boys (teenagers) could stay at the park if they wanted to and come back when they were ready. I loved not having to know what ride I was going to ride or where I was going to eat months in advance. The longest we waited in line for a ride was maybe 20-30 minutes. 5 minutes if we had a Fast Pass.

The biggest "con" to DL is the cost of airfare. I would think that Orlando would be much cheaper coming out of NY.

Normally I would always vote for WDW over DL, but planning a last minute trip to DL is much easier, IMO, than a last minute trip to WDW. Your room choices, ADRs and FP+ selections are going to be very limited at this point for this year's spring break.

This! I've been to both and DL was much better suited for last minute planning. The one question I would have is if you're planning on uber or lyft- do you plan to use that to get from LAX to Disneyland? We went the week leading up to July 4th and traffic was not fun on that particular part of the trip after driving from CT to NY and then flying to LAX. Just something to consider.

Also, Disneyland is a lot more compact. It might be better with your mobility issues. If it were me, and Disneyland was a possibility, that'd be my choice.

With my mobility issues, the ages between the kids and budget, Disneyland appeals more. The cost for flights is comparable and I know people in California. However, there's Pandora world and so much to do at Disney World. I need to toss a coin haha.

I'm chiming in against DL. It's a longer flight and a longer commute to get there. There's a time difference, too. This will cause jet lag. It may really drag you down for the rest of your trip.

I will agree it's easier on the wait times, but the popular rides there have significant waits, too.

I like having four parks to choose from with WDW.

You will have fun at either place, but my heart will always be with WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter