Disney Wonder November 29, 2019 Double Dip from Galveston

Awesome! What number cruise is this for y’all? It’ll be our 12th. We just finished our 10th last month and are doing the WBTA in September. Then, we have the long wait until next year!
This will be #2 with Disney. And our second out of Galveston. There will be 22 of us as long as it all works out. My Mom picked this one spontaneously so fingers crossed. Can’t wait to invade Castaway Cay for 2 days!

Glad to have another Disney cruise to look forward to. This will be our 4th Disney cruise, and our 3rd out of Galveston. We are really excited to spend 2 days at Castaway Cay. Looks like the big movie showing on our cruise will be Frozen 2, it is scheduled to come out 2 days before we set sail. Our girls will love seeing that on the boat. Only 553 days to go! :boat:

Glad to have another Disney cruise to look forward to. This will be our 4th Disney cruise, and our 3rd out of Galveston. We are really excited to spend 2 days at Castaway Cay. Looks like the big movie showing on our cruise will be Frozen 2, it is scheduled to come out 2 days before we set sail. Our girls will love seeing that on the boat. Only 553 days to go! :boat:

It just seems so far away!! I’m so happy we have one before then. Even then, once we are home, it will still be over a year before the double dip :(

It just seems so far away!! I’m so happy we have one before then. Even then, once we are home, it will still be over a year before the double dip :(

Yes it is pretty far away, wish we had one inbetween, but we are glad to have it to look forward to. This is the first cruise we have booked on opening day so this will be the longest time we have had between booking and cruising. Hopefully time does not go by too slow. :bored:

I know it's pretty early to start planning but I thought I would post some info/tips from our last two cruises on the Wonder out of Galveston. We took this exact same cruise in 2016 and 2017 except we docked in Key West, Castaway, and Nassau instead of 2 Castaway Cay days and Key West. Here are some things that we did not know until we found them out by reading the DISboards or until we got on the ship. Disney may change some things in 2019 but for the most part this info should be applicable to our cruise.

1. They offer a gingerbread house building class. You can get tickets by going to the customer service or port adventurrs desk. We suggest getting a reservation as soon as you board because they say the classes fill up fast.

2. Their is a Christmas Tree lighting ceremony. On our cruises it was the first night at 7:30pm.

3. If your family wants to meet characters their are three things you can sign up for in advance online. The Princess Gathering, the Frozen Meet and Greet and the Disney jr. Character Breakfast (which on our cruises was in Animators Palate). **may change in 2019**

4. CVS pharmacy is within walking distance from where the boat docks in Key West. It's great if you forgot to pack anything or want some bottled water or drinks for your in room fridge.

5. Starbucks is within walking distance from where the boat docks in Key West also, just incase you need caffeine.

6. If you want coffee on the boat Cove Cafe is the closest thing to Starbucks you'll find. It's located on deck 9 mid ship in the adult only section on the ship. They have a reward card with a free coffee after you buy 5.

7. Deck 9 is also where the free self serve soda fountain and soft serve ice cream machines are.

8. The ship has a movie theater which plays a mix of Disney movies including ones that have just come out in theaters. On our previous cruises Moana (2016) and Coco (2017) came out a day or two before we left and they had 3 or 4 showings of them in the movie theater and in the main theater. On this cruise Frozen 2 will be coming out a few days before we sail.

9. We thought Frozen, A Musical Spectacular was great and on our cruises they had shows at the normal evening show times and a matinee show at 2:30pm. Hopefully they do the same for this cruise.

10. If you want a private table for dinner call now and request one otherwise you may be seated with other people.

11. On our cruises the average temperatures were highs around 78 lows around 70. The water temp at Castaway Cay was around 76 which is cold when you first get in but ok after a couple minuets.

12. Castaway Cay has strollers, wagons, towels, beach chairs, loungers and umbrellas you can use free of charge.

13. Pirate night was on the 4th night of both of our cruises.

Additional info:
Nightly photo portrait times (white background most nights, pirate themed on pirate night)
5:15pm-6pm, 7:15pm-8:30pm, 9:30pm-10:30p

50mb of free internet (sign up 1st day)

Show Times: 6:15pm & 8:30pm

Dinner Seatings: 5:45pm & 8:15pm

Boarding day:
Lunch is served in Triton's (A-La Carte) and Cabanas (buffet). Pete's Boiler Bites and Pinocchio's Pizzeria may be open but not sure.
Boarding started between 11am and 12pm.
Lifeboat Drill: at stations by 4:00pm
Sail Away Party: 4:30pm (after drill)

Breakfast:
Cabanas (buffet): 7:30am-11:15am
Triton's (A-La Carte): 8am-9:30am
Daisy's De-lites: 7am-9am

Brunch:
Triton's: 9am-1pm (2nd day only)
Palo: 10am-12:30pm on select days ($30, Adults 18+, advanced reservations suggested)

Lunch:
Cabanas (buffet): aprox 11:45am-2pm (times vary)
Triton's (A-La Carte): 12pm-1:30 (not on Castaway Cay days)
Pete's Boiler Bites: 10:30am-9:30pm
Pinocchio's Pizzeria:10:30am- 6pm
Daisy's De-lites: 10:30am-6pm

Dinner:
Main Dining Rooms: 5:45pm and 8:15pm
Cabanas (sit down) 6:30pm-8:30pm
Pete's Boiler Bites: 10:30am-9:30pm
Pinocchio's Pizzeria: 9:30pm-12a
Palo: 6pm-8:30pm ($30, Adults 18+, advanced reservations suggested)

Coffee:
Cove Cafe 7am-12am
(Buy 5 get 1 free)

Lunch on Castaway Cay: 11:30-2pm at Cookies BBQ, Cookies Too BBQ and Serenity Bay BBQ (Adults 18+)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Also, here are some links to threads on the DISboards that have good info some may be able to use on our cruise.

For things to do in Key West.

Key West with Kids: https://www.disboards.com/threads/key-west-w-kids.3631375/#post-58149103

For those that are going to be in Galveston Thanksgiving day and are looking for a place to eat.

Galveston Thanksgiving resturant?: https://www.disboards.com/threads/galveston-thanksgiving-restaurant.3639235/

For those interested in what food you might find at Palo brunch.

Palo brunch favorates: https://www.disboards.com/threads/palo-brunch-favorites.3632968/

Um...we are stupid excited. 2nd Disney cruise but first on the wonder and first out of Galveston. Our last cruisr was an Easter Caribbean on the fantasy and our fabpfavo days were the sea days and castaway cay. So when this itinerary popped up I knew it was perfect! Not many cruises our of Galveston go to castaway and we get to go twice. Not to mention I get to celebrate my birthday while sailing. I couldn't ask for more.

I know it's pretty early to start planning but I thought I would post some info/tips from our last two cruises on the Wonder out of Galveston. We took this exact same cruise in 2016 and 2017 except we docked in Key West, Castaway, and Nassau instead of 2 Castaway Cay days and Key West. Here are some things that we did not know until we found them out by reading the DISboards or until we got on the ship. Disney may change some things in 2019 but for the most part this info should be applicable to our cruise.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Fantastic information! While I haven't sailed out of Galveston or done a Merrytime cruise, this cruise will be our 12 on DCL. I've been on the Wonder 4 or 5 times. Hopefully, we'll get more DISers here, so we can share all this knowledge!

Um...we are stupid excited. 2nd Disney cruise but first on the wonder and first out of Galveston. Our last cruisr was an Easter Caribbean on the fantasy and our fabpfavo days were the sea days and castaway cay. So when this itinerary popped up I knew it was perfect! Not many cruises our of Galveston go to castaway and we get to go twice. Not to mention I get to celebrate my birthday while sailing. I couldn't ask for more.

You will see definite differences between the Fantasy and the Wonder. We finally went on the Dream--our first on one of the newer ships--and I personally prefer the feel of the smaller ships. There were just SO many people on the Dream!

We are surprising our 3 "boys" (the youngest will have just turned 21!). They've been grumbling that they haven't cruised since 2009, and DH and I will have 2 under our belt this year without them. So, this will be a last "Mom and Dad are paying" cruise for them. They'll each have to make platinum (they'll only need one more each) on their own nickels! We picked this one for the double dip, but also because we are Texans (well, except DH who is a Yankee) and Galveston is just down the road a piece.

Welcome aboard, y'all!

Curious if anyone can give us a heads up on how overpriced or busy flying into Houston will be on American Thanksgiving? We had no idea.
Thanks from
The only Canadians on board! :rotfl:

Fantastic information! While I haven't sailed out of Galveston or done a Merrytime cruise, this cruise will be our 12 on DCL. I've been on the Wonder 4 or 5 times. Hopefully, we'll get more DISers here, so we can share all this knowledge!

Thanks, every one of our Disney cruises have been on the Wonder. We have taken 1 out of Miami and this one makes 3 out of Galveston. Wish Disney had more cruises out of Galveston as we live in Texas also and it is really nice not to have to fly. Hopefully when the 3 new ships are delivered Disney will cruise more out of Texas.
:boat:

Curious if anyone can give us a heads up on how overpriced or busy flying into Houston will be on American Thanksgiving? We had no idea.
Thanks from
The only Canadians on board! :rotfl:

Well, as it is a holiday week, it will be expensive. Since we drive to Galveston, and I haven't flown into Houston in a long time, I can't say how expensive. The sooner you can book, the better you will be. Think about traveling off-peak (early in the morning, late at night). Traveling on Thanksgiving Day itself may be less expensive than the days leading up to it. I would not advise flying in the day of the cruise....too many things could go wrong, and you might miss the ship. Remember to book a hotel as early as you can as well. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Well, as it is a holiday week, it will be expensive. Since we drive to Galveston, and I haven't flown into Houston in a long time, I can't say how expensive. The sooner you can book, the better you will be. Think about traveling off-peak (early in the morning, late at night). Traveling on Thanksgiving Day itself may be less expensive than the days leading up to it. I would not advise flying in the day of the cruise....too many things could go wrong, and you might miss the ship. Remember to book a hotel as early as you can as well. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

We will most likely be driving again but the rest of my family thinks we are nuts and will be flying. We don’t have tons of options where we are coming from so this could be interesting. Maybe I just won’t point out that we arrive on your Thanksgiving ‍♀️ So excited! We LOVED Texas & Galveston last November.

as we live in Texas also and it is really nice not to have to fly. Hopefully when the 3 new ships are delivered Disney will cruise more out of Texas.
:boat:

SAME SAME SAME! I REALLY hope we will get a "home" ship to stay at Galveston. I'd be JUST FINE with it being the Wonder.

:welcome:Also - HI EVERYONE! This will be our 4th cruise, 3rd as a family! Our first cruise was our wedding cruise out of Galveston, May of 2013!!

You will see definite differences between the Fantasy and the Wonder. We finally went on the Dream--our first on one of the newer ships--and I personally prefer the feel of the smaller ships. There were just SO many people on the Dream!

We are surprising our 3 "boys" (the youngest will have just turned 21!). They've been grumbling that they haven't cruised since 2009, and DH and I will have 2 under our belt this year without them. So, this will be a last "Mom and Dad are paying" cruise for them. They'll each have to make platinum (they'll only need one more each) on their own nickels! We picked this one for the double dip, but also because we are Texans (well, except DH who is a Yankee) and Galveston is just down the road a piece.

Welcome aboard, y'all!
Thanks so much. We moved to Texas almost 2 years ago. So we were excited for a Galveston cruise that goes to castaway. I am really excited for the smaller ship. I know a lot of people prefer it. We have two littles (4&2) so I feel like a less crowded boat and island will be amazing.

SAME SAME SAME! I REALLY hope we will get a "home" ship to stay at Galveston. I'd be JUST FINE with it being the Wonder.

:welcome:Also - HI EVERYONE! This will be our 4th cruise, 3rd as a family! Our first cruise was our wedding cruise out of Galveston, May of 2013!!

:welcome:Cool, did you get married on the ship? I agree, it would be amazing if the Wonder was based out of Galveston.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts