Disney Wonder $13k to Alaska vs $6k on RC

June 2019: 1 adult, 1 child

HAL:
First couple of weeks: Inside: $2833 Oceanview: $3422 Balcony: $4800
Second couple of weeks: Inside: $3040 Oceanview: $3640 Balcony: $4800

DCL:

First couple of weeks: Inside $4400. Oceanview: $5300 Balcony: $7700
Second couple of weeks: Inside $4700 Oceanview: $5700-6300 Balcony: $8600-$8800-

I don't have time to do the % but to me these aren't minor differences.
Which is what I posted:

1. Inside ~$3000 on HAL vs ~$4500 on DCL. Or, $20/sq ft on HAL vs $25/sq ft on DCL.
2. The difference is meaningful for some and well worth it for the others.

Weird, we've sailed her twice and had no issues. Actually had our best cruise EVER on her (Russia/Baltic). Our other cruise was an Alaskan repositioning cruise from San Francisco - a long time ago but still one of our best cruises.
I would like to think that there were multiple issues singularly related to THAT specific cruise. A lot of things (waterslide, rock wall, dining venues) had VERY limited hours and I believe, looking back on it, that much of it was related to a lack of staff. However, I am still not sure why they brought the luggage up through the middle of the ship. I've been on over 20 cruises and have never seen anything like it. Plus, I've had a number of people who have cruised the Serenade as well saying they didn't have it this way, so I have no idea what pushed them to do it. My only guess is maybe there was some issue going on with the service elevators.

My biggest beef with the ship itself was just a lack of food options. We came back to the ship a number of times and the buffet was closed from 2pm-5pm, leaving only the Park Cafe as a food option. And it was a bit of a mess as no one could figure out if it was adults only or not (since it was in the Solarium). Also, the Park Cafe had a pretty limited menu. I very much missed a cook-to-order grill or pizza place on the deck. I understand other RCCL ships have dedicated Pizza locations, but the Serenade did not. It was only available in the buffet (as was the ice cream!). This was one place that I think Carnival really excelled when we went on the Sunshine the next year. The Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana tacos, Asian wok, Pasta bar, etc, were all included and the buffet was open much longer hours.

Best cruise ever... That's a tough one. I have loved most all of them, but 2 do stand out:

First Cruise: Dawn Princess (loved that ship - food was fantastic and when they played the theme to the "Love Boat" during sail away, I was hooked...)
DVC Member Cruise: Disney Wonder (first trip to Alaska and just an amazing time with all of the Pixar and DisneyNature folks on board - Got to see "Inside Out" a month before it hit theaters and plus, they put out hot chocolate with Bailey's in it for Tracy Arm...)

Although, If I had to pick one only cruise ship to ever cruise on again... It would be an aft cabin on Disney Magic!

Which is what I posted:

1. Inside ~$3000 on HAL vs ~$4500 on DCL. Or, $20/sq ft on HAL vs $25/sq ft on DCL.
2. The difference is meaningful for some and well worth it for the others.
We are on Emerald Princess the first week of July in an inside cabin (2 adults, 1 child) and it was $3,400...

I know it's weird, but Alaska was too rugged and manly for me. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, so it's not like I grew up in some super sophisticated place. I just really did not enjoy Alaska. Maybe it's because I'm from the Pacific Northwest and it wasn't as exotic to me. I don't know. I'm hoping I enjoy a cruise to a different part of Alaska more. If nothing else, I can at least enjoy the ship.
Oh that totally makes sense. It's not exotic at all in that case. (I grew up in Juneau/Fairbanks and then spent my 20s in Portland.) And it's very macho.

I completely understand your dilemma but I think I would sail on RC instead of DCL. I was planning a solo Disney cruise for 2019 but decided to change it to sail with my friends on NCL (same amount of days but half the cost of DCL). As a regular solo cruiser I really do hope that the new DCL ships have single staterooms and offer single rates like other cruise lines.

DCL is expensive for Alaska. I mean, it’s expensive in general, but the Alaska itineraries are so much more than other lines. I have been going back and forth between the NCL Bliss and DCL. DCL is actually double NCL for the dates I am looking at for a verandah stateroom for a family of 4 ... we would have to downgrade to ocean view or inside to cruise with DCL (and it would still cost more than NCL). Not sure if I am willing to do that or not. After our last cruise, I swore up and down that I would never pay what DCL wants for Alaska ... and here I am considering it.

We did Alaska and MED back to back, paying about 6k for a family of 4. Used placeholders and booked inside for Alaska and Deck 2 on Med. the inside worked well for Alaska due to the length of daylight and in the Med most of our time was in port. The $3k-4K difference for each paid for some pretty awesome excursions.

DCL is expensive for Alaska. I mean, it’s expensive in general, but the Alaska itineraries are so much more than other lines. I have been going back and forth between the NCL Bliss and DCL. DCL is actually double NCL for the dates I am looking at for a verandah stateroom for a family of 4 ... we would have to downgrade to ocean view or inside to cruise with DCL (and it would still cost more than NCL). Not sure if I am willing to do that or not. After our last cruise, I swore up and down that I would never pay what DCL wants for Alaska ... and here I am considering it.

For anyone seriously considering the NCL Bliss, the 2 day travel agent and press cruise just completed and the transatlantic is now underway. Check out Cruise Critic's NCL board. There are lots of videos, a couple of good live reviews, etc. It looks like a beautiful ship.

My wife and I love Disney and we have been on 18 Disney Cruises and we have one more already booked. Additionally, we are Disney World annual pass holders and Disney Vacation Club members. However, we have also been on 38 Royal Caribbean cruises and we have 9 more already booked (plus 5 more on Royal Caribbean's sister line Celebrity). All other things being equal, we would rather be on DCL than on RCCL. IMHO, DCL has better dining, service and entertainment than RCCL and much better entertainment than Celebrity, although, of those 3, Celebrity has the best dining. However, they are not equal and each DCL cruise costs about as much as each two RCCL cruises or 1 1/2 Celebrity cruises in a comparable cabin (excluding the largest suites which often cost even more on RCCL/Celebrity than on Disney, probably because of the "Suite Class" perks). That means that our budget allows us about 35-40 days of cruising per year on RCCL/Celebrity or about 15-20 days on DCL. With that kind of choice, we cruise mainly on RCCL and Celebrity with a very occasional cruise on DCL to the Bahamas in September, when DCL prices are lowest.

Last edited:
Hi. New here! I came across this thread via a google search for the same question. Did you end up making a decision?

We priced out an Alaskan cruise for 2019.
NCL Bliss @ $5108, floor 10 mid-ship balcony, plus free Wifi and $350 port excursions.
RCCL @ $4813, floor 9 mid-ship balcony, $200 on board credit
Disney topped in at over $9100 for an aft balcony, no incentives

We could afford either, but I'm having a hard time understanding the value ....

Last edited:
Hi. New here! I came across this thread via a google search for the same question. Did you end up making a decision?

Regarding NCL, another factor to consider in price shopping is that gratuities are built into the price. You can offer cash as desired for exceptional service.

NCL Bliss @ $5108, floor 10 mid-ship balcony, plus free Wifi and $350 port excursions.
RCCL @ $4813, floor 9 mid-ship balcony, $200 on board credit + gratuities
Disney topped in at over $9100 for an aft balcony, no incentives + gratuities

With the prices you quoted I'd go with either NCL or RCCL (maybe NCL because the Bliss is brand new!) The money you save on the cruise fare could go towards some pretty amazing shore excursions!

RCCL @ $4813, floor 9 mid-ship balcony, $200 on board credit
Disney topped in at over $9100 for an aft balcony, no incentives

Bliss is on my list of ships to sail, so I would definitely pick Bliss! What ship is RCCL? Does one go to Glacier Bay and the other not (I know Disney doesn't)? That's a deal breaker for us. We cruised the Wonder to Alaska in 2012 and LOVED it, but when we go back we have to see Glacier Bay. Side note - I see you picked wifi and port excursions as your "pick two" on NCL. Depending on your preferences, you may want to consider the dining package as one of your options. We LOVE Cagneys and Teppanyaki! We have a lot of fun with the different dining options. Just our opinion though :)

I think RCCL is Radiance of the Seas? They have a NorthBound/SouthBound option that leaves from Anchorage too, which seems fun.

RCCL ports include Seward, Hubbard Glacier (Cruising), Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver, British Columbia

Disney Ports include Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Vancouver
An alternate date includes Icy Straight Point

NCL Bliss includes Seattle, Washington, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, British Columbia

Thanks for the dining suggestions! I wasn't sure if what's included would be enough or if the other restaurants are worth it -

Last edited:
I think RCCL is Radiance of the Seas? They have a NorthBound/SouthBound option that leaves from Anchorage too, which seems fun.

Thanks for the dining suggestions! I wasn't sure if what's included would be enough or if the other restaurants are worth it -

I agree with this suggestion. We found the MDR food to be really good, but the specialty restaurants are definitely a step up, and I wouldn't want to miss them. I also wanted to make sure that you realize the shore excursion credit is only $50 per port. So if you have four ports, it would only be worth $200. We book far more independent excursions than we do through the cruise line, so it's really not worth much to us, but if you prefer the ship tours it's a nice perk.

There are a lot of great reviews of the Bliss on Cruise Critic's NCL page with tons of pictures. That ship is gorgeous! The observation lounge looks fabulous and I can only imagine what it would be like sailing through Alaska. The Bliss also is going to Glacier Bay in 2019, which is a big plus.

I would like to think that there were multiple issues singularly related to THAT specific cruise. A lot of things (waterslide, rock wall, dining venues) had VERY limited hours and I believe, looking back on it, that much of it was related to a lack of staff. However, I am still not sure why they brought the luggage up through the middle of the ship. I've been on over 20 cruises and have never seen anything like it. Plus, I've had a number of people who have cruised the Serenade as well saying they didn't have it this way, so I have no idea what pushed them to do it. My only guess is maybe there was some issue going on with the service elevators.

My biggest beef with the ship itself was just a lack of food options. We came back to the ship a number of times and the buffet was closed from 2pm-5pm, leaving only the Park Cafe as a food option. And it was a bit of a mess as no one could figure out if it was adults only or not (since it was in the Solarium). Also, the Park Cafe had a pretty limited menu. I very much missed a cook-to-order grill or pizza place on the deck. I understand other RCCL ships have dedicated Pizza locations, but the Serenade did not. It was only available in the buffet (as was the ice cream!). This was one place that I think Carnival really excelled when we went on the Sunshine the next year. The Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana tacos, Asian wok, Pasta bar, etc, were all included and the buffet was open much longer hours.

Best cruise ever... That's a tough one. I have loved most all of them, but 2 do stand out:

First Cruise: Dawn Princess (loved that ship - food was fantastic and when they played the theme to the "Love Boat" during sail away, I was hooked...)
DVC Member Cruise: Disney Wonder (first trip to Alaska and just an amazing time with all of the Pixar and DisneyNature folks on board - Got to see "Inside Out" a month before it hit theaters and plus, they put out hot chocolate with Bailey's in it for Tracy Arm...)

Although, If I had to pick one only cruise ship to ever cruise on again... It would be an aft cabin on Disney Magic!

I don't think that's a fair comparison for OP. Although I haven't been on it, the Serenade is a smaller older ship of Royal, and nothing like Ovation...the ship that OP mentioned. Ovation is a larger one with lots of food options (but I'm sure things close at times). It is also a cold weather ship as it has stuff inside. Disney has great cruises but not sure it's worth $7k more...especially when you're talking a great ship from Royal too .

mm824 do keep in mind the flight cost to get to Anchorage (and if I recall, the port isn't too close to Anchorage airport) - I've always wanted to do the one way north or southbound Alaskan cruises as the scenery and views seem more extensive, but the flight cost has so far been a bit prohibitive.

That said with those choices I'd pick the NCL Bliss too. Brand new ship!

mm824 do keep in mind the flight cost to get to Anchorage (and if I recall, the port isn't too close to Anchorage airport) - I've always wanted to do the one way north or southbound Alaskan cruises as the scenery and views seem more extensive, but the flight cost has so far been a bit prohibitive.

That said with those choices I'd pick the NCL Bliss too. Brand new ship!
Have you considered Princess?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter