Disney Wonder $13k to Alaska vs $6k on RC

Here are some images from that... We had to grab our bags ourselves and take them to the room...

View attachment 315962

View attachment 315963

I am not disbelieving you.

I am just saying that that has not been the norm on the other two Radiance Class ships I have been on, and it makes no sense that they suddenly said "Oh let's put luggage in passenger elevators and leave it in the centrum" for the third ship in the series, so in all likelihood there was some kind of problem with the usual way they got the luggage onto the ship.

I am not disbelieving you.

I am just saying that that has not been the norm on the other two Radiance Class ships I have been on, and it makes no sense that they suddenly said "Oh let's put luggage in passenger elevators and leave it in the centrum" for the third ship in the series, so in all likelihood there was some kind of problem with the usual way they got the luggage onto the ship.
This was our only RCCL cruise, and quite honestly, it was a disaster. It was out of New Orleans and was the first cruise after a transatlantic crossing. We found out that there had been a contract dispute and that about 1/3 of the crew quit and left in NO since apparently this was where a number of the contracts broke or could be renewed (assumably to fly home). At any rate, it was interesting. Not enough servers in restaurants, only 1 bartender in the main pool bar and only 1 in the solarium bar. Plus, the Rock wall was not open since there was no crew member to man it. When we got to Falmouth, RCCL brought on a number of staff from Oasis (that was docked with us) and it got a bit better, but was still rocky at best...

This was our only RCCL cruise, and quite honestly, it was a disaster. It was out of New Orleans and was the first cruise after a transatlantic crossing. We found out that there had been a contract dispute and that about 1/3 of the crew quit and left in NO since apparently this was where a number of the contracts broke or could be renewed (assumably to fly home). At any rate, it was interesting. Not enough servers in restaurants, only 1 bartender in the main pool bar and only 1 in the solarium bar. Plus, the Rock wall was not open since there was no crew member to man it. When we got to Falmouth, RCCL brought on a number of staff from Oasis (that was docked with us) and it got a bit better, but was still rocky at best...

So it was kind of the perfect storm - a port that is not super common for cruise ships (i have to wonder if that is why the luggage was how it was - that port may NOT have the regular system in place for luggage), first cruise after a transit cruise (always bumpy), and staffing issues. And yeah - bringing in crew from another ship would still be rocky because they likely would not know the ship they are now on as all of their training is on another ship.

I’d encourage you to give them another try out of a more common cruise port (PC, Miami, Ft Lauderdale) and NOT on the cruise right after a TA. (Even people on the first DCL Magic after the TA have reported issues.)

Has anyone sailed on the Ovation in Alaska? I am pricing out trips for next May/June and RC is certainly cheaper than DCL (although I'm not finding DCL to be double priced). But my biggest sticking point with the Ovation is that the kids would have to share a pull out couch, or we'd have to pay for a second room. On DCL the kids each get their own bed. I also prefer Vancouver to Seattle, but I don't think that would be enough to sway me, but the kids sharing a bed would make for long nights and whiny kids.

So it was kind of the perfect storm - a port that is not super common for cruise ships (i have to wonder if that is why the luggage was how it was - that port may NOT have the regular system in place for luggage), first cruise after a transit cruise (always bumpy), and staffing issues. And yeah - bringing in crew from another ship would still be rocky because they likely would not know the ship they are now on as all of their training is on another ship.

I’d encourage you to give them another try out of a more common cruise port (PC, Miami, Ft Lauderdale) and NOT on the cruise right after a TA. (Even people on the first DCL Magic after the TA have reported issues.)
What do you mean "not a common port for cruise ships"? New Orleans homeports 2 Carnival ships and a NCL ship and has home-ported RCCL ships numerous times before.

Fact is that RCCL had a terrible customer service protocol. Getting on the ship in NO was fine, it was once on the ship that the issues began. For instance, on the first night we did "MyTime" dining. We were used to Princess' "AnyTime" dining, where you just show up when you want. We were constantly called in our cabin to reserve a time to dine in "MyTime" dining, which I thought defeated the whole purpose of the concept. At any rate, we got a time for Night 1 and went down to eat. We were seated at a table and an assistant server brought us drinks. The server did not come by to take our order for 30 minutes. After that, we still did not have our food for another 30 minutes (no appetizer, nothing) and we never saw the server. I went to ask the Maitre'd about it and he literally said to me "Well, (the server) has waited on almost 50 tables tonight. What do you want him to do?". I really wanted to say "How about wait on 51?", but it was unbelievable. It wasn't our fault RCCL was having so many issues (I won't even go into the guy who brought the mini-fridge for my daughter's medicines to our room and tried to set it up ON the couch.. or the Waterslide that was only open from 1-3pm each day and then only on port days ???). This was one example as to why we started calling the ship the "Excuses of the Seas"...

I do think that we may have had a one-off experience, but it really soiled us on RCCL, especially after everyone on here was talking about how great it was, that trip was a HUGE letdown. Quite honestly, it's the only cruise experience I've had where I really didn't enjoy it. On the flip-side, the next year we decided to try Carnival and went on the Sunshine expecting it to be the same or worse and had an amazing time (different than DCL, but really, really fun and the food was MUCH better than RCCL). So, if we stray from DCL, we will either cruise with Princess (which is a really nice line) or with Carnival. A number of people here often say that they cruise RCCL instead of DCL because of cost for what you get. I'd ask the same thing about RCCL vs. Carnival. Carnival tends to be much less expensive than RCCL and quite honestly, is a better product in many ways (especially on their newer ships...)...

YMMV, like I said, this was just our experience...

What do you mean "not a common port for cruise ships"? New Orleans homeports 2 Carnival ships and a NCL ship and has home-ported RCCL ships numerous times before.

Fact is that RCCL had a terrible customer service protocol. Getting on the ship in NO was fine, it was once on the ship that the issues began. For instance, on the first night we did "MyTime" dining. We were used to Princess' "AnyTime" dining, where you just show up when you want. We were constantly called in our cabin to reserve a time to dine in "MyTime" dining, which I thought defeated the whole purpose of the concept. At any rate, we got a time for Night 1 and went down to eat. We were seated at a table and an assistant server brought us drinks. The server did not come by to take our order for 30 minutes. After that, we still did not have our food for another 30 minutes (no appetizer, nothing) and we never saw the server. I went to ask the Maitre'd about it and he literally said to me "Well, (the server) has waited on almost 50 tables tonight. What do you want him to do?". I really wanted to say "How about wait on 51?", but it was unbelievable. It wasn't our fault RCCL was having so many issues (I won't even go into the guy who brought the mini-fridge for my daughter's medicines to our room and tried to set it up ON the couch.. or the Waterslide that was only open from 1-3pm each day and then only on port days ???). This was one example as to why we started calling the ship the "Excuses of the Seas"...

I do think that we may have had a one-off experience, but it really soiled us on RCCL, especially after everyone on here was talking about how great it was, that trip was a HUGE letdown. Quite honestly, it's the only cruise experience I've had where I really didn't enjoy it. On the flip-side, the next year we decided to try Carnival and went on the Sunshine expecting it to be the same or worse and had an amazing time (different than DCL, but really, really fun and the food was MUCH better than RCCL). So, if we stray from DCL, we will either cruise with Princess (which is a really nice line) or with Carnival. A number of people here often say that they cruise RCCL instead of DCL because of cost for what you get. I'd ask the same thing about RCCL vs. Carnival. Carnival tends to be much less expensive than RCCL and quite honestly, is a better product in many ways (especially on their newer ships...)...

YMMV, like I said, this was just our experience...

I just mean that it is not as commonly used as others. Also, Carnival and NCL may have different ways of doing things. But my guess is mostly on the walk-out.

I understand - just saying it is not the way I have usually encountered them.

We booked Alaska for July '19 (DW and 2x DS over 18) but doing inside. Debating between a Cat 11B sideways or a Cat 10B on deck 2 for a about $100 more (still under $8K with 10% OBB). Cat 10A secret port hole would be at least $1K more.

We sailed with DW in '16 on a sideways cabin and loved it, except I'd rather be AFT with easier access to Cabanas and refill stations. We only go back to the stateroom to get changed or sleep.

I just mean that it is not as commonly used as others. Also, Carnival and NCL may have different ways of doing things. But my guess is mostly on the walk-out.

I understand - just saying it is not the way I have usually encountered them.
Good to know. I had wondered why they did it that way on the Serenade. Glad to hear it is not that way on other ships...

Good to know. I had wondered why they did it that way on the Serenade. Glad to hear it is not that way on other ships...

Yeah - I have never seen them use passenger elevators and dump the luggage in the Centrum

This was one example as to why we started calling the ship the "Excuses of the Seas"...

:rotfl:Glad you could kind of joke about it. After reading what you experienced, if it was me I wouldn't want to book them again either. We've had issues at hotels where everything was awful and other people had a great time there - but I figure there are plenty of other places to try once I not impressed with a stay. If we ever "jump ship" from Disney, especially for Alaska, it will likely to be a smaller niche cruise line, Celebrity, or Princess (I have many family members who have cruised with Princess and they all love it). Sorry about your experience.

BUT - not sure if I would sail a huge RC ship to Alaska. That is a lot of people to compete with when you get off for excursions, and from what I've read, I don't think on that particular ship there are a lot of good places to view the scenery if you don't have a balcony. If I were you I would look for another cruise line besides DCL but a smaller ship and get a balcony.

The Ovation? If that’s then ship you are referring to, it actually has several great areas for viewing amazing scenery.
Two70, floor to ceiling windows, google it - simply amazing. It’s an entertainment venue at night but simply a huge lounge with windows for walls during the day. Complete with AMAZING views, a bar and a cafe with great quick service.
Then there are the covered pools, especially adults only solarium. It has amazing views too.
North Star which is a pod that raises you 300 feet above the ship also amazing, we just did it on a sea day but I can’t imagine how amazing it would be in Alaska or sailing inside passage.
You are right though, it’s a lot of people. I think around the size of Disney Dream and Fantasy.

The Ovation? If that’s then ship you are referring to, it actually has several great areas for viewing amazing scenery.
Two70, floor to ceiling windows, google it - simply amazing. It’s an entertainment venue at night but simply a huge lounge with windows for walls during the day. Complete with AMAZING views, a bar and a cafe with great quick service.
Then there are the covered pools, especially adults only solarium. It has amazing views too.

That all sounds really nice for an Inside Passage cruise. I must admit that with Disney turning over the glassed in area over the Cove Cafe into concierge we would seriously consider sailing a different line with better indoor viewing areas. A covered pool deck would be nice as well. While I don't swim on the ships it was cold up on decks 9 and 10 even with all my layers on.

I must admit that with Disney turning over the glassed in area over the Cove Cafe into concierge we would seriously consider sailing a different line with better indoor viewing areas. .
Totally agree with you. We cruised HAL in Alaska mainly for their land/cruise trip. It was amazing with a beautiful indoor viewing and also a huge outdoor area for everyone. I'm not loving that DCL is taking areas away from the "regular guests" for the concierge guests. It seems like the Titanic all over again. With the pricing of DCL, and the fact that we no longer have small children, we have now switched our loyalty to Viking. We are all treated equal and all areas are for everyone.

North Star which is a pod that raises you 300 feet above the ship also amazing, we just did it on a sea day but I can’t imagine how amazing it would be in Alaska or sailing inside passage.
You are right though, it’s a lot of people. I think around the size of Disney Dream and Fantasy.

For some reason I was thinking OP said Oasis of the Seas, but your right, OP said Ovation. If it is as big as Oasis it is quite a bit larger than Dream or Fantasy - maybe another 1000 people.

Our PC cruise and Alaska are the 2 cruises I ever felt that there was a lot of competition on the upper deck to get close to a railing to get some good views. The thing that would concern me about an Oasis class ship on RCCL is that if you don't have a sea facing balcony, you are going to be with everyone else crowding on the top deck - or that entertainment venue. And since the center of the ship is sliced open and you can't see the ocean from in there, it would just seem to me that the deck would be really crowded when you are trying to see glaciers.

But I haven't actually sailed on any of those RCCL megaships, so if you have and think that wouldn't be a problem I would defer to your opinion. I do think the North Star would be cool to do in Alaska, but how many people can do that at one time?

For some reason I was thinking OP said Oasis of the Seas, but your right, OP said Ovation. If it is as big as Oasis it is quite a bit larger than Dream or Fantasy - maybe another 1000 people.

Our PC cruise and Alaska are the 2 cruises I ever felt that there was a lot of competition on the upper deck to get close to a railing to get some good views. The thing that would concern me about an Oasis class ship on RCCL is that if you don't have a sea facing balcony, you are going to be with everyone else crowding on the top deck - or that entertainment venue. And since the center of the ship is sliced open and you can't see the ocean from in there, it would just seem to me that the deck would be really crowded when you are trying to see glaciers.

But I haven't actually sailed on any of those RCCL megaships, so if you have and think that wouldn't be a problem I would defer to your opinion. I do think the North Star would be cool to do in Alaska, but how many people can do that at one time?
Oasis holds about 1300 more people than Ovation. We never sailed on the Oasis but saw it in port once and it's huge.
Anthem (ship we sailed on, sister ship to Ovation) is very large but not nearly as big as the Oasis class.
I don't know how crowded it will get on an Alaskan sailing, but is has a lot going for it for that itinerary.
Having said that we are booked on the Disney Wonder, and I'm having a hard time switching.
I feel like another cruise line that I would like to try for Alaska is Princess.
I just wish they also sailed out of Vancouver round trip.
As for the North Star on the Royal Ship, it holds maybe 10 guests at a time, and usually you can only reserve it once ahead of time.

Last edited:
Has anyone studied the new Norwegian ship for Alaska with the multilevel go cart track?
While I have never sailed with NCL I don’t think I ever could after seeing what happened to guests on the Sun. I had a friend sail on the Sun and the nightmare and response from NCL is aweful and scary to say the least!

While I have never sailed with NCL I don’t think I ever could after seeing what happened to guests on the Sun. I had a friend sail on the Sun and the nightmare and response from NCL is aweful and scary to say the least!
What happened to them?

For me unless Mickey was my personal butler there is no justification for that price difference. No amount of free soft drinks, movies can make that up.

Agreed. Especially since I almost never drink soda and watching a movie on a cruise, to me, is a colossal waste of time.

The whole time we were on that ship I kept thinking, what would my kids do instead of going to the show

Play in the clubs. My family doesn’t really watch the shows anyway. I definitely don’t. Well I saw the Disney Hades one and the atrocious Golden Mickeys, and after that my family won’t let me watch them. The shows were just too stupid and I was sitting way too close to the front during GM to walk out.

Many other things to do rather than watch a show.

Grease was my favorite movie when I was 9... Oops. o_O

Same for many of us. Embarrassing to think about. :)

I guess that I just like that fact that I won't have wonder about the shows on a Disney cruise. I know they will be appropriate for the whole family.

Hmm. A show literally about Hades being appropriate... :)

I can't think of anything in that movie that wouldn't make it G rated.

I think compared to movies today including Disney movies it's pretty G-rated.

Please watch Grease again with an adult eye, perhaps with captions on so you can catch ALL the references.

Watching it with my son was eye-opening.

In a year or so it’s going to be interesting and somewhat heartbreaking to start watching all the John Hughes movies with him, as he seriously questions all of the behavior in those movies.

(Which, to be honest, I did, too, to some extent...16 Candles had some really weird stuff in it and even then I knew it)

Disney movies aren't exactly G rated anymore. Ironman in bed with two women..

Disney makes a LOT of movies. Some G, some not. “A Disney movie” generally means the G rated ones. A Pixar movie often has tiny jokes for the parents that go right over most kids’ heads. Then there are the other movies.

But they aren’t putting Grease-style storylines into a G movie.

I have done Alaska in a Verandah cabin and an Inside cabin (neither on DCL), and I would be hard-pressed to spend the money on a verandah again simply because I felt like I missed a lot of ship-stuff because I felt like I needed to “get my money’s worth” from that verandah.

Same same same.

At that age, I already knew how babies were made and about contraception.

But that doesn’t mean you know that “Rizzo’s got a bun in the oven” means she’s pregnant or that Kinicki “making an honest woman out of her” means he’ll marry her because she’s pregnant. There’s a LOT that slides past many kids (and adults).

Childhood bubbles don't exist anymore. Internet destroyed that.

Childhood bubbles are a madeup concept from the 50s. For a couple decades Leave it to Beaver and Donna Reed helped us pretend that there was a blissful little time where kids were kids blah blah. But in the ‘20s kids were working in meat packing factories...

Internet caused nothing.

I've always said the "moral" of "Grease" is 'to be happy and popular become a slut'. But, maybe I'm showing my age.

No you’re not; it’s totally the moral of it.

What I see in that movie is that people can be "labeled" wrong. While she may look rough on the edge, Rizzo is a good girl (she made fun of Sandy --jealousy-- but they have a lot in common actually... Danny is not the "cool guy" he pretends to be as he has a softer side, Sandy has more edge than people think and in the end, labels are not important and will change as you get older and meet new people.

Rizzo might have a heart of gold, but her actions are NOT that of a good person. She’s a jerk and making adult decisions while a teen (who looks 30 since that’s how old the actors all were lol). Danny is cool in his own group, but outside of that group he’s a jerk as well. Sitting around making fun of others doing things is not cool. We see it from his POV but if you watch it while realizing that his group of, what, 5 guys is at the outskirts of that school, you realize that they aren’t the ones who will be making good lives for themselves. And Sandy put on makeup and new clothes (and got a ridiculous perm) in order to fit in visually with people. That’s it.

Sooo does anyone on this thread have any tips/comments on Vancouver? We will be there for 3 days before our cruise. I have our days and activities planned, but I am always interested in hearing from those who have previously been to the city.

When we go we generally just wander downtown seeing sights and eating yummy food (crepes and japadog are high on my son’s list) and have a lovely time.

Their aquarium was nice when we went 11 years ago. :) Stanley Park is beautiful.

I know RCCL sails the Radiance in Alaska and that class of ship was designed for Alaska with lots of windows to the outside world in addition to deck space. True she doesn’t have all the bells and whistles (rock climbing wall is about it), but she is a gorgeous ship as are her sisters (well, Brilliance is...and I will experience Jewel in a couple of months).

Radiance was our honeymoon and it was perfection for Alaska. It was a round trip from Vancouver and oh I wish they still had that on radiance...

all of the luggage sitting out in the Centrum of each floor was a surprise as well as they took it to each room...

I’ve seen that on dcl, too, as they prepare to bring the bags.

Here are some images from that... We had to grab our bags ourselves and take them to the room..

You probably didn’t *have to*.

On both Disney and royal we’ve passed by their staging area for luggage. When we see our bags in there we snag them if the rooms are open. But we don’t have to.

Fact is that RCCL had a terrible customer service protocol.

Had. On that sailing. Which is a bummer. But it’s not all sailings.

Yeah - I have never seen them use passenger elevators and dump the luggage in the Centrum

Not sure about the centrum but all ships have to have a staging area, and sometimes it’s seen.

But I’ve never heard of them using passenger elevators, and I’ve been around cruisecritic on the royal boards a long long (long) time.

1. In a year or so it’s going to be interesting and somewhat heartbreaking to start watching all the John Hughes movies with him, as he seriously questions all of the behavior in those movies.

(Which, to be honest, I did, too, to some extent...16 Candles had some really weird stuff in it and even then I knew it)

2. Radiance was our honeymoon and it was perfection for Alaska. It was a round trip from Vancouver and oh I wish they still had that on radiance...

3. Not sure about the centrum but all ships have to have a staging area, and sometimes it’s seen.

But I’ve never heard of them using passenger elevators, and I’ve been around cruisecritic on the royal boards a long long (long) time.

(numbers inserted by me)

1. It already is. Molly Ringwald wrote about it after watching The Breakfast Club with her daughter.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/p...lly-ringwald-metoo-john-hughes-pretty-in-pink

2. Technically they do...you just have to devote 2 whole weeks to it (and see the same ports twice). :D

3. Well, yes. Even Disney you can see the staging area as the doors are "propped" open. And sometimes in those cross-deck hall passages. I don't blame the cabin attendants for moving them from one area to another so that they are not going all the way back and forth. Moving them to various areas can allow them to group the luggage so they are not to-ing and fro-ing and backtracking.

I’ve seen that on dcl, too, as they prepare to bring the bags.

You probably didn’t *have to*.

On both Disney and royal we’ve passed by their staging area for luggage. When we see our bags in there we snag them if the rooms are open. But we don’t have to.

Had. On that sailing. Which is a bummer. But it’s not all sailings.

Not sure about the centrum but all ships have to have a staging area, and sometimes it’s seen.

They used the passenger elevators AND used a major public area (the Centrrum on each floor) as the staging area.. That is what that picture is of. You can not believe me if you want, but that is what they did. Did we have to get our luggage? I'm sure we could have waited for one of the crew to bring it, but I wasn't really keen on it sitting out in a public area with everyone walking by it. At least on DCL, Princess, and Carnival, the luggage has always been staged in a crew area before they brought it to the room. I just found it odd that they did it that way. The other problem was that it caused huge traffic jams on the ship.

There were a lot of other things that occurred on that cruise that really soiled us towards RCCL. I am sure that other sailings are fine and we may give them another shot (on a larger ship), but I just didn't see where it was worth it, if we are not going to take DCL, to spend the extra money on RCCL over Carnival, and quite honestly, Princess can be a good bit cheaper as well and we feel is better than both. So, while I'd like to try Oasis, et, al, eventually, I just don't see spending extra over taking Carnival Vista/Horizon/Breeze/Magic or Princess if we can get a deal... (Carnival's older ships, may be a different story).

Again, just my opinion. We've all got them and YMMV...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter