Disney Wonder $13k to Alaska vs $6k on RC

southlake

Mouseketeer
Yikes, ya'll.

I am pricing out Alaska cruises for next June 2019. Disney Wonder is $13,223 for a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah (Jun 17, 2019).

Royal Caribbean is $6,763 for for an Oceanview Balcony (closest to Disney's Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom) (Jun 14, 2019).

Disney Wonder is more than double Royal Caribbean, and this is on RC's newer ship (2016) Ovation of the Seas. I keep thinking I'm missing something when pricing itineraries, but I don't think I am!?

We took two Disney cruises in 2013 and 2014, back when we had 1 child, but now that we have 2 children and it's 4-5 years later, I think we've been priced out of Disney - and we make a good income!

Who affords this?! There are only a few rooms left, too, for next June!

No, I didn't - I asked who affords this lol.

Well, I personally wouldn't pay that. We sailed to Alaska in an oceanview (porthole) and don't regret it for a second. I know for some with larger families, that stateroom selection may not be an option, but for a family of four, there are other room types other than verandah. If I sailed to Alaska again, I wouldn't have a verandah. Honestly, I wouldn't choose a verandah in Alaska if it were CHEAPER than the oceanview. On our cruise, the verandah was nearly double the oceanview, but it wasn't $13k (we sailed a few years ago and the prices were slightly lower).

It wasn't a cheap vacation and neither is our upcoming one, but everyone spends their money on different things in different ways. Some people might buy a really nice car and then not spend as much on vacations. Some people might like to put all their expendable cash towards a really nice vacation. Some people like Concierge, some always sail in inside rooms. Everyone has a different budget.

Hi anricat,

I've priced out an Oceanview room as well on Disney (no verandah) and the only decks that are available are Decks 1 and 2. We don't want to be on the bottom on Deck 1 or 2, so that's why I priced out a Verandah so we could get on a higher deck! I don't know if the ship is sold out on the other decks or if 1 and 2 are the only options when booking an Oceanview room?

Our cabin was on Deck 2 of the Wonder and we loved it! We could easily see small icebergs and seals from our porthole window. We spent a lot of time on the top public decks. Booking a verandah on Disney was too expensive for us, but I don't regret splurging on the porthole room on the Wonder.

We booked Alaska on the Wonder August 2019, deck 2 oceanview. Our cost for 3 (2 adults and 1 child) is $6000 with our 10% off (on board booking). We will also get $300 in on board credits.
We sailed on deck 2 Wonder Southern Caribbean this past January and fell in love with deck 2.
Honestly, loved it more than higher decks. I surprised myself:)
I still prefer a balcony, but if too expensive, deck 2 oceanview it is.
When we do sail with a balcony, I love it to sit out in the AM and have coffee, we really don't use it otherwise.
When we sailed out of NYC on Anthem, it was in the low 70s (May) and we found the verandah too cold... didn't use it.
Verandah on the Disney Wonder to Alaska is too high of a cost for us. We thought deck 2 oceanview was an acceptable alternative.
Now, having said that, I am having second thoughts ever since finding out Ovation will be sailing to Alaska next year.
Priced out a similar week mid August and a verandah stateroom is $5000 for us 3 with $100 on board credit.
Disney Wonder $6000 deck 2 oceanview $300 obc and Ovation $5000 balcony $100 obc.

I do believe Alaska with Disney has to be even more special than any other cruise...
However... having previously sailed on the Anthem- sister ship to Ovation, I think it's an amazing ship for Alaska.
It has great covered pools. It has Two70, you can google this on Anthem and Ovation. It has North Star. Again google it if you don't know what it is. Amazing, and probably even more amazing against Alaska scenery.

Disney Wonder has one big advantage which is sailing out of Vancouver. Also, a movie theatre and Disney entertainment. It also goes to Ketchikan and Ovation doesn't.
Ovation will sail out of Seattle which is not a city I want to see as much as Vancouver.
Also, my understanding is that sailing out of Seattle, the ships don't go through true inside passage making the first and last day less scenic.
Ovation will get a full day in Victoria Canada instead of Ketchikan though.

My DS loved d both Disney and Anthem but preferred Anthem by a hair because of bumpers at sea, better pools and kids clubs.

I know this may not help you exactly but I thought I would share my thought process.
Ovation is a great option for Alaska.
Yet, I'm having a hard time switching.

Last edited:

If you want to be higher up and are willing to be forward, there are porthole rooms on decks 5, 6 & 7. Also mid June to late July are the most expensive times to cruise to Alaska with Disney. Is that the only date? Can you go later in summer? We sailed the end of August 2017 in a verandah room, two adults two kids and paid $7600 (that did include our 10% onboard booking discount).

I’ve sailed DCL, RC, and HA...for that kind of price diff & getting to check out a new ship, I’d try RC. Even if you hate it, you could book a week at the Poly to lick your wounds (or a Caribbean DCL) & still have only spent $13k

I’ve sailed DCL, RC, and HA...for that kind of price diff & getting to check out a new ship, I’d try RC. Even if you hate it, you could book a week at the Poly to lick your wounds (or a Caribbean DCL) & still have only spent $13k
Excately!!! Great perspective. For me unless Mickey was my personal butler there is no justification for that price difference. No amount of free soft drinks, movies can make that up.

If you want to be higher up and are willing to be forward, there are porthole rooms on decks 5, 6 & 7. Also mid June to late July are the most expensive times to cruise to Alaska with Disney. Is that the only date? Can you go later in summer? We sailed the end of August 2017 in a verandah room, two adults two kids and paid $7600 (that did include our 10% onboard booking discount).
Very true, but in my experience deck 5-7 oceanview is getting close in price to a verandah....
Also the best price in august is typically very end of August... just before labour day.
I agree you can make Disney much cheaper by sailing shoulder season etc... but you can sail the other lines for less during peak! Dilemma dillema ;)

Last edited:
We booked Alaska on the Wonder August 2019, deck 2 oceanview. Our cost for 3 (2 adults and 1 child) is $6000 with our 10% off (on board booking). We will also get $300 in on board credits.
We sailed on deck 2 Wonder Southern Caribbean this past January and fell in love with deck 2.
Honestly, loved it more than higher decks. I surprised myself:)
I still prefer a balcony, but if too expensive, deck 2 oceanview it is.
When we do sail with a balcony, I love it to sit out in the AM and have coffee, we really don't use it otherwise.
When we sailed out of NYC on Anthem, it was in the low 70s (May) and we found the verandah too cold... didn't use it.
Verandah on the Disney Wonder to Alaska is too high of a cost for us. We thought deck 2 oceanview was an acceptable alternative.
Now, having said that, I am having second thoughts ever since finding out Ovation will be sailing to Alaska next year.
Priced out a similar week mid August and a verandah stateroom is $5000 for us 3 with $100 on board credit.
Disney Wonder $6000 deck 2 oceanview $300 obc and Ovation $5000 balcony $100 obc.

I do believe Alaska with Disney has to be even more special than any other cruise...
However... having previously sailed on the Anthem- sister ship to Ovation, I think it's an amazing ship for Alaska.
It has great covered pools. It has Two70, you can google this on Anthem and Ovation. It has North Star. Again google it if you don't know what it is. Amazing, and probably even more amazing against Alaska scenery.

Disney Wonder has one big advantage which is sailing out of Vancouver. Also, a movie theatre and Disney entertainment. It also goes to Ketchikan and Ovation doesn't.
Ovation will sail out of Seattle which is not a city I want to see as much as Vancouver.
Also, my understanding is that sailing out of Seattle, the ships don't go through true inside passage making the first and last day less scenic.
Ovation will get a full day in Victoria Canada instead of Ketchikan though.

My DS loved d both Disney and Anthem but preferred Anthem by a hair because of bumpers at sea, better pools and kids clubs.

I know this may not help you exactly but I thought I would share my thought process.
Ovation is a great option for Alaska.
Yet, I'm having a hard time taking switching.
You listed some great points for comparing, thanks! By the way, how old was your DS during the sailings?

This is why we've pretty much switched from DCL to RCCL. I've loved the Disney cruises I've been on. For a little more, I'd pay it, but double -- no! We've been on RCCL a couple times now. I'm not going to say they're equal to Disney, but pretty close. We've definitely enjoyed ourselves. I'd like to say we'll take an occasional Disney cruise for a special occasion, but Royal is a nice alternative.

Hi anricat,

I've priced out an Oceanview room as well on Disney (no verandah) and the only decks that are available are Decks 1 and 2. We don't want to be on the bottom on Deck 1 or 2, so that's why I priced out a Verandah so we could get on a higher deck! I don't know if the ship is sold out on the other decks or if 1 and 2 are the only options when booking an Oceanview room?

Don't discount deck 2. Our Alaskan cruise was our first time on Deck 2 and it was FANTASTIC. I'm a total convert. In fact, we've got deck 2 booked for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise and again in January on the Wonder for our Southern Caribbean. I never even considered staying anywhere else. Didn't price it out - didn't care. I will pick deck 2 over anything else in a heartbeat. We seriously adore deck 2. I love being right next to the water line, I love how convenient it is to get to deck 3 and the elevators are never already full when I need to ride one going up. We've stayed on decks 6 and 8 (so I'm able to compare with upper decks) and I'm here to tell you, deck 2 is hands down my favorite. Everyone in my family agreed it was great.

Yikes, ya'll.

I am pricing out Alaska cruises for next June 2019. Disney Wonder is $13,223 for a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah (Jun 17, 2019).

Royal Caribbean is $6,763 for for an Oceanview Balcony (closest to Disney's Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom) (Jun 14, 2019).

Disney Wonder is more than double Royal Caribbean, and this is on RC's newer ship (2016) Ovation of the Seas. I keep thinking I'm missing something when pricing itineraries, but I don't think I am!?

We took two Disney cruises in 2013 and 2014, back when we had 1 child, but now that we have 2 children and it's 4-5 years later, I think we've been priced out of Disney - and we make a good income!

Who affords this?! There are only a few rooms left, too, for next June!
We’re doing Alaska this June in 2 insides on deck 6 for $8800 for 4 people, that was with the OBB discount. The only reason we’re on the Wonder is because we told our son he could pick the cruise this year to celebrate his HS graduation. If it was up to me, we’d definitely be on the Norwegian Bliss, paying way less for 2 balconies.

We tried the Carnival Vista a couple years ago for a Mediterranean cruise and realized there really is life after Disney. At this point we’ve been on 4 Disney ships and after the Wonder have no plans to be on another until the new ships launch. We do have 3 more Carnival cruises booked though.

I wouldn’t hesitate to book Ovation for Alaska and would advise to look at the Bliss as well. The caveat to that statement is you should ask yourself, do you love cruising in general or do you just love Disney cruising. If you just love Disney cruising, you’re not going to be happy on other cruise lines.

Don't discount deck 2. Our Alaskan cruise was our first time on Deck 2 and it was FANTASTIC. I'm a total convert. In fact, we've got deck 2 booked for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise and again in January on the Wonder for our Southern Caribbean. I never even considered staying anywhere else. Didn't price it out - didn't care. I will pick deck 2 over anything else in a heartbeat. We seriously adore deck 2. I love being right next to the water line, I love how convenient it is to get to deck 3 and the elevators are never already full when I need to ride one going up. We've stayed on decks 6 and 8 (so I'm able to compare with upper decks) and I'm here to tell you, deck 2 is hands down my favorite. Everyone in my family agreed it was great.

We are also deck 2 converts. Loved it to my huge surprise. My one worry was being too close to the waterline, but it's actually well above the waterline. Even deck 1 is. Deck 2 is nice and low having nice views of the water but did not find it too low... for those who prefer not to be that close to the water.
I think Deck 2 oceanview has much better views than deck 5-7 oceanview.

Yikes, that is a crazy price for a family vacation!
We did Alaska 2 years ago; looks like the date and room we had has gone up over $1,500 for next year.

We just booked a VGT rate for Quebec City to NY City this year. The price was about $1,000 less than booking a specific room. Not sure how it will all work out but that may be the only way we get to travel DCL going forth. The prices are shocking.

At the difference in price that OP is talking, we'd book with RCL instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!