Disney with Child with a disability

Maybe because we dont want the kid to wait around without us? You people on this site are so judgemental its crazy. And first of all you dont skip the lines, you come back when the time is ready no one said anything about skipping lines. How about you have some compassion for me trying to do whats best for my son rather than come at me for line skipping. Done with this post
This doesn't make sense. Someone has to stay with the other under 2 kids and the one that doesn't do rides. He isn't waiting by himself. Or did you mean waiting without his parents specifically? If so then you are gonna need to decide what's most important for you. Riding the big rides or staying with your son the whole trip. Zero judgement involved. If the rides are important to you then maybe getting Genie+ for those riding them would be a benefit in waiting a shorter time on the rides your son can't/won't.

For MK we are only doing the Christmas party so lines shouldn't be unbearable for him, we are scheduling a call or chat with Disney to see if he qualifies or not so if he does, we will be sure taking advantage of it. Just so stressful dealing with it all since usually we are a go go go Disney family but now my planning will need to change. On the bright side we have gotten all of the dining reservations he wanted so thats a plus!

A couple points to try and help you with this -

You can't schedule a call or chat for the DAS. From the WDW website you can request a live chat/video to see if your child qualifies. I have waited as little as 20 minutes and as long as 5 hours to get to the CM for the video "interview". Again, the child must be present, and you need to explain why waiting in the standby line will be an issue for him. This can be done at 30 days prior and has the perk of scheduling 2 advance DAS options per day.

I would also suggest you research rider swap (if you haven't already) this will allow you to lessen the wait on the attractions the 2yo (and or other younger children) can't ride due to a height restriction by letting the 2nd party riding use the LL. This will also be helpful for rides where the potential DAS holder can ride but the other children can't.

I already mentioned stroller as a wheelchair and as for any potential triggering issues (strobe/loud noises etc.)
once again, I refer you to the DisAbililties board. Great information there, knowledgeable people who are very familiar with DAS and can give you the real info and experiences you asked for.

Many of the people posting here do have experience using DAS. In my family, my youngest daughter is the DAS user. She is a full time wheelchair user because she can't walk or stand. She has multiple other issues besides mobility which are why she has DAS.
I am an RN and had observed many seizures before my child had her first one, but no matter the experience, it's different when it's your child. Many children have one or several seizures, then 'outgrow' them. Hopefully, your child will. My daughter didn't and hers have never been totally controlled. I totally understand wanting to check on things to make the easiest experience.
I'm going to summarize some of the DAS information already posted and add a bit more. There is a lot more information on the disABILITIES BOARD (link in my signage).

Registering for DAS:
  • you don't call to schedule your DAS call. DAS is requested thru a link on the WDW website DAS page 30 days to 2 days before first park day.
  • Starts as a text chat and after getting some general information, the DAS CM will send a link to a video chat.
  • wait on text chat varies widely, depending on how many others are trying at the same time. Could be minutes to hours.
  • person DAS is being registered for needs to be present for the video chat, at least to be introduced and have their picture taken.
  • no conditions or diagnoses automatically 'qualify' for DAS. Expect to be asked a question similar to "What are you concerns with waiting in the regular lines?" Just having epilepsy/seizures isn't a concern with waiting in lines; many people with them don't have issues waiting in line. What the CM is looking for is what issues do you expect your child's seizures to cause in line OR what about the lines/during waiting in line do you think may cause issues for him. Expect the CM may ask a follow question or 2
  • Children under 3 don't have a ticket to 'attach' DAS to. Previously, they were putting the child's DAS on a parent's ticket/profile. Recently, it's been a 'dummy' ticket with the child's name. The ticket is picked up at Guest Relations in a park. Expect to need to show your ID and sign some documents. The ticket is used to scan into attractions
  • DAS registration can also be done at one of the theme parks
  • DAS 'tile' will show up in My Disney Experience app after entering the first park
DAS Advance Selections (DAS AS)
  • extras as a 'thank you' for doing DAS video registration
  • up to 2 per park per day from a list of attractions on the DAS website page that may be available. Person registered for DAS must ride, so pick accordingly
  • limited numbers of time and attraction slots available, so be ready with the top 3 choices for each day and general time of day - morning, afternoon or evening
  • CM may do selections on video chat or transfer you to a scheduling text chat
  • DAS AS have a start time and a one hour window to use; they will expire at some time after that if not used. They don't need to be used at all
DAS Return Times
  • the accommodation provided by DAS is ability to wait outside of the regular lines. DAS Return Times are how it's done; scheduled in the My Disney Experience app or by CMs at attractions or Guest Experience umbrellas. Guests can have one active DAS Return Time at a time.
  • based on the current wait time in the Standby (regular) line. It can be used any time after the Return Time has begun
  • when the Return Time comes, report to the Lightning Lane entrance. Guest registered for DAS has to scan first; the CM get an alert on their screen and verifies the DAS registered guest is scanning in and riding (picture on screen matched to guest). CM clears the alert and others in the group scan in
  • separate from and not connected with DAS AS, Genie + or Individual Lightning Lanes
Stroller as wheelchair tag
  • allows stroller to be used in attractions/lines/buildings where strollers are usually not allowed
  • separate from DAS; useful for children with stamina issues or who need a safe place in line
  • request at Guest Relations at a theme park. Tag will be valid for entire stay (if renting stroller in park, will need to get new one each day)
Genie+/ Individual Lightning Lane
  • some people purchase for things the DAS user can't/wont ride.
  • some purchase for things the DAS user will ride, but are popular and have long wait times (to avoid tying up DAS for that long)
Rider Switch
Link to WDW Rider Switch webpage
  • use for attractions kids are too small for or can't/won't ride
  • Can only use with DAS Return Time if the DAS user is riding. DAS user must be in first group to ride
Link to WDW website DAS page

Last edited:
As others have said, DAS is provided based on need, not diagnosis. Two individuals could have the same diagnosis but substantially different needs. You will need to be able to explain why your child is unable to wait in a regular line, in clear language. And DAS is not usually provided for mobility or stamina issues.

Christmas is NOT a slow time at Disney, especially as one gets closer to the couple of days before the 25th and the week between Christmas and New Year's.

I'd be a little concerned about keeping a 2 year old up into a party night and their readiness for the next day.

Party of 8 yeah but 3 of them are under 2 and one doesn’t ride rides at all so thats not an issue. I have a call scheduled with Disney to see if my son qualifies. If he doesn’t then we have another plan anyway and we plan on buying genie plus anyway so I am not worried about that. Was just seeing if anyone had any experience with using DAS. The only park I worry about is DHS because just about every ride there is usually a 30+ minute wait but hopefully during the time we go it will be quiet. Also hope this didn’t come across as me trying to skip lines, we have no issues waiting its just my son has epilepsy and we wanted to see the best options for us.

For MK we are only doing the Christmas party so lines shouldn't be unbearable for him, we are scheduling a call or chat with Disney to see if he qualifies or not so if he does, we will be sure taking advantage of it. Just so stressful dealing with it all since usually we are a go go go Disney family but now my planning will need to change. On the bright side we have gotten all of the dining reservations he wanted so thats a plus!
You need to go through an online process to get the DAS, not a scheduled phone call - don't waste your time talking to someone who can't actually get the DAS set up for you, KWIM? Or you can go to Guest relations at the park and get it set up there if you want.

As others have said, DAS is provided based on need, not diagnosis. Two individuals could have the same diagnosis but substantially different needs. You will need to be able to explain why your child is unable to wait in a regular line, in clear language. And DAS is not usually provided for mobility or stamina issues.

Christmas is NOT a slow time at Disney, especially as one gets closer to the couple of days before the 25th and the week between Christmas and New Year's.

I'd be a little concerned about keeping a 2 year old up into a party night and their readiness for the next day.
we are going in early November and the kids will be leaving with my in-laws around 8pm. My wife and I just had some concerns about him dealing with all of this. He was also recently diagnosed with adhd as well as to why we are concerned about him waiting on lines because he is easily frustrated and over works himself. We will see what Disney says when we try to qualify for it. He did not do well when we took him to local theme parks by us but we will see what we can do. For epcot and hollywood studios we are just going to do shows and have light days and the adults will already have genie plus. Appreciate the help and we will be doing whatever Disney suggests. I am a disney veteran so lines have no effect on me but this trip is catered to our kids as we also will be taking our 7 month old and can't wait to see her when she meets mickey and minnie!

we will be doing whatever Disney suggests
I hear what you say, but keep in mind that Disney sometimes seems to try to discourage people from getting DAS, to say it politely. They can push back. Be really clear in why your child (/your party) will benefit from waiting outside the lines. Use the experiences at the local theme park as an example. Why didn't he do well there, and how could DAS improve the experience at Disney.

And also, just in case, if Disney decides to deny you DAS, have a plan.
For example, know where the quiet places are when your child gets overstimulated, etc. What is the max your child can wait before getting worked up, if you know it's 30 minutes, do not get into a 60 minute line.

Last edited:

I hear what you say, but keep in mind that Disney sometimes seems to try to discourage people from getting DAS, to say it politely. They can push back. Be really clear in why your child (/your party) will benefit from waiting outside the lines. Use the experiences at the local theme park as an example. Why didn't he do well there, and how could DAS improve the experience at Disney.

And also, just in case, if Disney decides to deny you DAS, have a plan.
For example, know where the quiet places are when your child gets overstimulated, etc. What is the max your child can wait before getting worked up, if you know it's 30 minutes, do not get into a 60 minute line.
yeah, for sure, I don't expect him to qualify based on what I was reading but was just seeing what the best option for him is to have the best time. He didn't do well in the local parks because we live in NJ and going to local parks in July/August heat are a huge no no for him but also for most kids as well. That is why we are going in November, lines won't be as long as December and also weather should be reasonable. Anything more than a 60 min wait is a no go for him but we are purchasing genie so I will be able to get us passes and hopefully be able to get some good rides.

yeah, for sure, I don't expect him to qualify based on what I was reading but was just seeing what the best option for him is to have the best time. He didn't do well in the local parks because we live in NJ and going to local parks in July/August heat are a huge no no for him but also for most kids as well. That is why we are going in November, lines won't be as long as December and also weather should be reasonable. Anything more than a 60 min wait is a no go for him but we are purchasing genie so I will be able to get us passes and hopefully be able to get some good rides.
Just a non Disney for you. Was one of local parks you went to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster Pa? If so stop at guest services before you enter the park for the special needs band and also ask at big eatery in back of park if Betty is working and say hi. Guess that tells you where I work

Just a non Disney for you. Was one of local parks you went to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster Pa? If so stop at guest services before you enter the park for the special needs band and also ask at big eatery in back of park if Betty is working and say hi. Guess that tells you where I work
lol ty! We live in south jersey so we took them to Hershey and six flags...never again lol thats why we dont stray away from disney....

Maybe because we dont want the kid to wait around without us? You people on this site are so judgemental it’s crazy. And first of all you dont skip the lines, you come back when the time is ready no one said anything about skipping lines. How about you have some compassion for me trying to do whats best for my son rather than come at me for line skipping. Done with this post
Maybe because we dont want the kid to wait around without us? You people on this site are so judgemental its crazy. And first of all you dont skip the lines, you come back when the time is ready no one said anything about skipping lines. How about you have some compassion for me trying to do whats best for my son rather than come at me for line skipping. Done with this post
My son qualifies for DAS. I get the feeling you are misunderstanding what it’s for. To utilize it the individual that qualifies must go on the ride. So if your son is not going to ride a specific ride, you will either need to utilize Genie+ or the standby line, both those options would allow Rider switch, so an adult can wait with the non-riders, and then that adult + 1 can go when the other members of the party have gone.

lol ty! We live in south jersey so we took them to Hershey and six flags...never again lol thats why we dont stray away from disney....
Dutch wonderland has a good disability program, as Betty mentioned. And it's a great park for younger ages (much more so than Hershey or 6 flags!). Give it a shot - I think you'll find a more successful adventure there than your previous ones! It's been just as good to us as Disney, imo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter