Disney with Cancer

A few other things.

1 Most people do not realise how much walking you do ( I do use a DAS ) and I walk up to 10+ miles a day, I hurt my foot one day and did not think I walked that much ( I used. wheelchair) and this says I stilled walked about 3 miles. I am a very active person I walk a lot at work, run, and I am someone that does not like to sit still. I get ver tiered at Disney after a long day ( and sometimes even a half day) the worst for me is going to my car the parking lots are huge ( yes they have trams) but the rows are long and somehow you are always at the far end of the row. there is nowhere to sit if you get tired in the parking lot. I am just telling you this so that you can have an idea of the walking you will do at Disney. ( I would really look at getting at least wheel chair off-site and using it as a walker when you do not need to sit in it. This way you have it inside the park and outside the park.)

2) rope drop ( getting to the parks when they opened or better yet 30 minutes before) is your friend the parks are the quietest when first opened, you can do so much in the first 45-90 minutes of the park opening, right before park closes you can get some more things in my I think park opening is a lot better.

3) yes your FP+ to your advantage I would do your Fist FP for about 60-90 minutes after the park opens do 3 in a row and then as soon as you do your last one get another one.

4 you may not need to go back to your hotel to rest like I said before first aid, but also Disney hotel the deluxe ones have a great lobby that you can check out. At the magic kingdom you can take the mornaral to 3 of them and get off and just sit in a chair ( the Grand Floridian has a live piano player but not sure when he is playing) this can be a really nice resting for an hour or so if you do not need to go back to your hotel but just need to get away from the park have some where nice to sit. You can also drive to any hotels you would like and just say you would like to check it out all you need is some form of ID ( the only times you can not do this is very busy times of year, but you are not going during any of those times

5 lastly a few things about first aid, you are welcome to go in and use it, but the nurse will more than likely ask you why you do not need to go into detailed just I am having pain and need to lie down some or I have fatigue issues I need to lie down. ( you do not need to go into your DX and all of that). They also can store medication for you if you have any and they do have some OTC meds like asprin if you need any. they can make you an ice pack and have ace wraps ( if you needed it)

Why spread misinformation like this?

What misinformation? Thank you to the PPs who pointed out what I said in totality, and added onto my point. The DAS gets you out of one standby queue. That's all. But what does that get you for fatigue issue? It just makes you have to wait someplace else. That's why I stated it was like having another FP+. If you use it again, yes, you get out of another one, but it is not going to save your energy as you have to wait until the access time arrives.

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but who is the DAS meant to cover? From what I'm seeing here a cancer patient on chemotherapy who is considered 100% disabled in her home country is not included. So what sorts of disabilities are covered? For any disability I can think of, strapping someone into a wheelchair would technically solve the problem.
Hi. I suggest that you speak with one of the Disney DAS reps there. They can be quite understanding regarding Ca and it is understandable that you will become fatigued with this amount of walking. Also definitely rent a ECV. It makes a real difference and you will appreciate that you have it. You can place all your belongings in it so as to ease the burden of carrying it all. Hydrate often and since your immune system may be compromised, load up on sanitizer or perhaps just leave your gloves on. Enjoy your trip, and pace yourself.

In order to be considered disabled you must apply to a central governmental body. You bring medical documentation to support your request and are generally called before a board of doctors who ask you questions. In my case, all I needed to provide was sufficient medical documentation to show that I have cancer, am on chemo, and just had surgery. Our healthcare system is socialized so you can't really forge documentation.

In order to get disabled parking I had to provide (again to a central government body - the DMV) documentation as to why I needed it. They are not given out for the same reasons that the general disabled classification is given. For me, I got it because sometimes it is extremely painful for me to walk. I would never use it when I'm not in pain, that wouldn't be fair. I doubt that someone with a non-mobility related disability would get handicapped parking. But, they are considered disabled for other purposes.

In Uk that is not true. You can consider yourself disabled for any reason, and report this and receive care under the DDA at work for example. BUT you have to be considered by the govt for accommodations such as parking and benefits (and you have to qualify)

DS qualifies for a DAS as he has autism, and can wait, but cannot stand in line, as there are sensory implications that he cannot handle.
DH has leukaemia, and probably will not qualify for a DAS, as he has impaired immunity and extreme fatigue, but these issues are not improved by spending his queuing time away from the queue (which is all DAS allows) as much as they may be improved by using some kind of wheelchair (which can wait in the regular queue

Most theme parks in UK Do have accommodations for DS to have some kind of queue assistance, but I am not sure what the assistance could be for DH. It is possible that DS would qualify for disabled parking, given that although he has no mobility issues, he has a significantly reduced sense of danger, and parking spaces / car parks can pose additional risks that others don't have to navigate. However, I don't drive, so I absorb those risks myself. Disability is not about the DX but about what accommodation you actually need to bring your access up to the equivalent of someone without your issues. Sometimes that isn't possible in it's entirety, but that is the goal.

That said, I would chat to Guest Services, as you never know what ideas they have that you haven't considered? I certainly plan to do this. We know that this is going to be our last big holiday as a whole family, and I am sure Disney will help us where they can, but the policy of DAS as it stands doesn't help DH (and possibly you, but, who knows?)

Last edited:
I may be too late to add anything here, but I too want to wish you a fabulous trip! I wanted to give you another example of what types of needs are accommodated with a DAS. Like the pp whose DS has autism, when I went to the park last June with my husband and service dog, me in my electric wheelchair, i had written out on my phone (i have trouble talking sometimes) my explanation of needs, as they related to standing in line (since that's the only accommodation the DAS is for.) I listed that I have at least 10 psychiatric and medical disabilities and went into detail especially about the mental disabilities because those were the most pertinent to standing in line. I have PTSD and other trauma disorders and these, for example in my case, can cause me to panic if I'm in the middle of a crowd and "can't escape" and things like that. I could also get very confused and not know where I was or what was going on, or even who I was if things got too stressful. Like I said, I have physical problems too, but they revolve around fatigue, and being in the sun, etc. and as is Disney's policy, I brought my electric wheelchair that I already use to provide an accommodation for myself for that. The DAS is not meant for all types of disabilities, perhaps this caused some confusion. While other things may apply, it's considered to be a pass for people with cognitive type disabilities.

Anyway, you probably feel "corrected" enough. I just hope whatever you choose to do, and however you end up being accommodated, that you and your entire family have a wonderful time! Blessings!

By the way...to the pp who asked what kind of disabilities could the DAS possibly be for, if not for "all the ones" he/she could think of. I'd like to remind you not all disabilities are physical/mechanical. There are many kinds that are not even mobility related at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!