Disney with 18 Month Old?

beckyelem

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone!
I am planning a trip to Disney in late December (I know, rush season) with my husband, my parents, and my daughter, Catherine., who will be almost 18 months old.

Catherine, who is now 8 1/2 months, is extremely outgoing and doesn't scare easily - popping balloons, high swinging, and dark tunnels don't phase her. She loves bright lights, animals, and new places, and can spend the whole day out with just a couple on-the-go power naps.

I am interested in advice/opinions:

On the rides with no official height requirements, can Catherine ride on my lap? Will these rides let her on?

Are there any rides that you would particularly recommend we go on/skip?

Anyone have a great or terrible experience with a toddler, and can give me tips?

Thanks so much,

Rebecca

My DD was 15mo old when she went, she either rode on DH or my lap, or in between us. I would say do It's a Small World, lots to look at, DD was dancing on the floor of the boat through most of it. Buzz Lightyear has bright colors to look at too. There is so much to see and do, don't be afraid to take her on any rides without height requirements. My DD didn't care for the Muppet 3-D show, we just sat on the aisle near the exit, and I took her out when she got cranky so the rest of the group could watch the show. Be on the look out for uncrowded areas you can let her wander around for a bit to stretch her legs. We had a really great trip and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

When my children were 11 and 22 months we went on everything that didn't have a height restriction and, like your daughter, mine were quite brave and liked everything that we took them on. Some children love shows and some get bored, needless to say, I have one of each which meant a lot of sitting at the end of seats for a quick escape when the youngest got bored. I used snack foods to keep her entertained wherever possible but some shows were just too long for her. Their favourite rides were Winnie the Pooh and Buzz. They also enjoyed Wedway people mover and there's hardly ever a wait for that!

Definately plan to see at MGM bear in The Big Blue House this is a great show for children. Arrive at least 20 minutes before the show will start beacause you will want to get a good spot . They have you sitting on the carpet and plan to sit in the center of the stage. They let the kids get up and dance and they really get a good view of all the characters. I would recommend to you to take advantage of the early park opening at the Magic Kingdom. The days are Monday, Thursday, saturday and the park opens up at 7:30 a.m. for guests staying on property it is definately worth it!!!! Plan to go right to Fanasty Land and ride DUmbo and Winnie the Pooh first and then the others. We do this everytime we come there. We live only 1hr.1/2 from the magic so we visit them every 6 to 8 weeks. Our next trip will be in the begining of May for a week our kids are so excited.
We have two girls ages 2 and 4 and we have been taking them to Disney ever since they were 6 weeks old so we definately know alot about taking little ones there. Your 18 month old will have a faboulous time if she gets tired and you are not ready to go back to the room try going to the Baby care Center the Magic Kingdom and Epcot ones are large she would be able to play there and you can relax with her. they have books and toys there. We always change their diapers there. It it always so.....clean and the employees are very nice.
Good Luck.
Tracy

I have to give another plug to the Baby Services stations. They are invaluable when traveling with little ones. They prevented many a meltdown for everyone. Each park has one and they are well worth it to check them out!
Have a great time!

lady-tramp.gif
cheerldr.gif

Inauguaral Member Of the WDW Resort Cheerleaders
Click here to join!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter