Disney Website advises that you travel at your own risk

4evryoung

4evryoung
New post on Disney website outlines the health risk of COVID and of populated gatherings signalling particular risk to certain vulnerable populations. It specifies some measure (e.g. masks) guests may be required to adhere to, and then states that guests voluntary assume all risk. I suspect that all International visitors will be unable to purchase health insurance on the basis of the "risk" elements outlined.

This is not really surprising. It was heavily rumoured that Disney would make you sign a waver to enter the parks.

Pretty much all, if not all, UK travel insurance firms have already said no new bookings will be covered for Covid1, that would include health whilst there and not being able to travel because of it.

Lots of people are not realistic as to the scope of travel insurance. The amount of money they cover you for is very high vs what you pay for the policy. So it is very understandable that they have removed this cover, which means travel to the US is in reality not possible. To get it included when travel is first resumed I think could be extremely high If at all available.

Good point raised though.

I work for a local insurance broker in the UK and I agree that you’re very unlikely to see cover for Coronavirus/Covid-19 risks (whether purely medical, or for cancellation/curtailment due to the sudden Imposition of border controls, flight shutdowns etc) on travel insurances any time soon. Cover will come just as soon as the companies have a better understanding of the risks and potential costs and are likely to be very expensive at least at first, although the prices will reduce as the insurance companies acquire more data and are better able to calculate the cost Implications.

Travelling to the US from the UK (or from anywhere else where citizens are accustomed to a substantial state involvement in healthcare, which I believe includes most if not all of Europe) without adequate medical insurance would be insane in my view. Forget the current issues, just think of how much it would cost if you were to trip over a kerb and suffer a compound fracture of an ankle, or if someone in your party was to have even a mild heart attack...

We have our next trip booked for December 2021, secured by a small deposit to our TA back in early January when we all thought the reports from China of a new flu bug were nothing to worry about, with the balance due in August 2021 so that’s our ‘cut off’ point (we could afford to write off the deposit if we have to). DW is really looking forward to the trip and I haven’t had the heart to tell her yet that whether we can make the trip or not may in the end come down solely to the availability/unavaliability of insurance against coronavirus-related cancellation and medical costs...

I work for a local insurance broker in the UK and I agree that you’re very unlikely to see cover for Coronavirus/Covid-19 risks (whether purely medical, or for cancellation/curtailment due to the sudden Imposition of border controls, flight shutdowns etc) on travel insurances any time soon. Cover will come just as soon as the companies have a better understanding of the risks and potential costs and are likely to be very expensive at least at first, although the prices will reduce as the insurance companies acquire more data and are better able to calculate the cost Implications.

Travelling to the US from the UK (or from anywhere else where citizens are accustomed to a substantial state involvement in healthcare, which I believe includes most if not all of Europe) without adequate medical insurance would be insane in my view. Forget the current issues, just think of how much it would cost if you were to trip over a kerb and suffer a compound fracture of an ankle, or if someone in your party was to have even a mild heart attack...

We have our next trip booked for December 2021, secured by a small deposit to our TA back in early January when we all thought the reports from China of a new flu bug were nothing to worry about, with the balance due in August 2021 so that’s our ‘cut off’ point (we could afford to write off the deposit if we have to). DW is really looking forward to the trip and I haven’t had the heart to tell her yet that whether we can make the trip or not may in the end come down solely to the availability/unavaliability of insurance against coronavirus-related cancellation and medical costs...
So as an insurance broker you neither have annual insurance nor buy single trip insurance as soon as you book a holiday? Just curious.

To be fair an annual policy is as good as useless for a trip booked over a year away. As when it comes up for renewal they can impose new conditions.

if just paid the Disney £200 deposit that is the exposure limit.

Mind the basic point of having travel insurance in place at time of booking is the right one.

To be fair an annual policy is as good as useless for a trip booked over a year away. As when it comes up for renewal they can impose new conditions.

if just paid the Disney £200 deposit that is the exposure limit.

Mind the basic point of having travel insurance in place at time of booking is the right one.
I was really lucky. My LV annual policy renewed on about 13 March, so on the cusp of all this. I considered changing insurers because the premium went up about £80, but decided that this year was not the year to change. LV did not change any terms and conditions. I booked my 1 July trip a year ago and made some tweaks with a Bounceback in December. If I can’t travel on 1 July, I am hoping that by merely postponing the WDW resort reservation, rather than cancelling and rebooking, the insurers will treat it as an existing booking. Who knows!

I was really lucky. My LV annual policy renewed on about 13 March, so on the cusp of all this. I considered changing insurers because the premium went up about £80, but decided that this year was not the year to change. LV did not change any terms and conditions. I booked my 1 July trip a year ago and made some tweaks with a Bounceback in December. If I can’t travel on 1 July, I am hoping that by merely postponing the WDW resort reservation, rather than cancelling and rebooking, the insurers will treat it as an existing booking. Who knows!
I’d advise calling them. Mine (a Bank account included policy) have said if the booking is amended and dates changed they will cover but not if it is a new booking. Better to know where you stand. But LV are generally one of the better ones out there, it one of the bargain basement ones.

So as an insurance broker you neither have annual insurance nor buy single trip insurance as soon as you book a holiday? Just curious.
FWIW/FYI I have an annual policy that will expire at the end of June 2020, and I’ve have held this particular policy since June 2016 (and others before that). We’ve made several trips to the Italian lakes over the years as well as our WDW trips in November 2016, April 2018 and December 2019. Whether I will renew this year I haven yet decided as I can’t now see us travelling outside the UK until our WDW trip in December 2021, and as I noted the cutoff for us is then when we have to pay the balance for that trip (August 2021) because that’s when we would then have substantial non-refundable sums at risk.

FWIW/FYI I have an annual policy that will expire at the end of June 2020, and I’ve have held this particular policy since June 2016 (and others before that). We’ve made several trips to the Italian lakes over the years as well as our WDW trips in November 2016, April 2018 and December 2019. Whether I will renew this year I haven yet decided as I can’t now see us travelling outside the UK until our WDW trip in December 2021, and as I noted the cutoff for us is then when we have to pay the balance for that trip (August 2021) because that’s when we would then have substantial non-refundable sums at risk.
I’d still call them If it was me. They may say if you maintain continuous cover with them you will remain covered. Otherwise the mass payment deadline will not be the issue, getting travel insurance would,

I wasn’t attacking you and I apologise if that is how it came over. I was just trying to utilise your expertise as a broker. If you don’t know how to ‘work the system’ or how the system works, there is little hope for the rest of us.😉

The point about taking out travel insurance at the time of booking a trip is valid and proper, particularly if you have a hefty deposit to pay. In my case I’ve secured a holiday that will cost well into five figures for a very modest non-refundable deposit, and if one is prepared to risk losing the deposit by cancelling without having insurance in place, the real financial risk arises on payment of the balance as cancellations after the ‘balance due’ date typically attract lower or no refund at all (usually on some sort of sliding scale depending on how many weeks out you are from travelling). It’s all about the level of risk that you’re willing to accept (and also possibly the level of your deductible). Losing a deposit is one thing - but I still wouldn’t travel to the USA (or Canada for that matter) without having medical insurance in place...🤢

I’d still call them If it was me. They may say if you maintain continuous cover with them you will remain covered. Otherwise the mass payment deadline will not be the issue, getting travel insurance would,
I actually get the policy through my employers, but the underwriters of the scheme aren’t currently offering either new policies or renewals (I understand they expect to review their position in mid-June). And amendments to cover can still be imposed at each renewal. As I said above, travel insurance will become available again but will contain Covid-19 exclusions for quite some time. I may even benefit by waiting; if a vaccine becomes available, insurance will in all likelihood then become easier to obtain. The companies that provide travel insurance will have to get themselves up to speed as the airlines start flying again...

I actually get the policy through my employers, but the underwriters of the scheme aren’t currently offering either new policies or renewals (I understand they expect to review their position in mid-June). And amendments to cover can still be imposed at each renewal. As I said above, travel insurance will become available again but will contain Covid-19 exclusions for quite some time. I may even benefit by waiting; if a vaccine becomes available, insurance will in all likelihood then become easier to obtain. The companies that provide travel insurance will have to get themselves up to speed as the airlines start flying again...
Had a letter today from my insurer saying it runs out on 4th june. And at this time they will not be renewing it.

Anyone traveling to go to Disney really needs their heads looking at...

Is the gamble of traveling and going to Disney worth the risk of infection and death?

I wasn’t attacking you and I apologise if that is how it came over. I was just trying to utilise your expertise as a broker. If you don’t know how to ‘work the system’ or how the system works, there is little hope for the rest of us.😉
No worries - I didn’t take what you said as any sort of attack, personal or otherwise.

I’m not sure about working the system, though - it’s not as easy to do as some people seem to think particularly in times like these when nothing (or next-to-nothing) is actually available in the first place. My expertise lies in claims, not policy arrangement, although I hope I have at least some knowledge of how the system works after 40+ years in the business... 😊

Anyone traveling to go to Disney really needs their heads looking at...

Is the gamble of traveling and going to Disney worth the risk of infection and death?
<sighs sadly> And there is that simple point as well. I’m just so glad that I don’t need to make a final decision on our pre-booked trip for another 15 months or so. If things aren’t massively improved worldwide by then, whether or not to travel to WDW will be the very least of everyone’s worries... My only concern for the present is whether Virgin Atlantic will still exist by then as that’s who we’re booked to fly with. (I know, First World problems and all that, but... 🙁 .)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!