Disney Transportation to ship or not?

goofy4prez

A guy can love Disney and still keep his man card!
We (3 adults) will be sailing on the Fantasy this June 8th to the Western Caribbean (our first cruise) and prior to this cruise we will be spending 4 nights at WDW and staying at POR. The question I have is would you use Disney transportation from the resort to the port or use someone else? Would you also use it to take you to the airport or not after the cruise? Right now I'm not sure. My concern would be getting to the ship late when most are already on board. I'm starting to sound here like when I was a newbie on these boards over 10 years ago and planning my first WDW trip. :rotfl:

At three guests, you are in the zone where DCL transfers become as expensive as other options. If you use them, you will arrive a few hours before all-aboard time, but lunch onboard might be over by then. An advantage is that they collect your luggage at the room and you get it back on the ship. All other options involve you carrying them to the car/van/bus and dropping them off at the porters at the terminal.

We like to arrive ASAP and get onboard the minute it is possible. Embarkation lunch is a tradition and I would not miss it. For those reasons, I would chose another option to get there, probably Lyft/Uber or a limo service like FL Tours, Happy Limo or Tiffany Town Car. To get back to the airport after the cruise, the only reason to use a limo or car or cab is if you need to get there very early. If your flight is after noon, I would take the DCL shuttle. You do not have to use them for both legs.

I found private transport for our family of 4 for $150ish (tip included). We can schedule our own time. We like to get there EARLY! We want every moment on board possible. This fee will be about the same as disney transportation and we will go straight there, on our time table.

We do a one-day car rental, picking up from Alamo on site at WDW the day prior to our cruise (we use the Dolphin Hotel location, but they are also at the Car Care Center and the Hilton Buena Vista Palace Hotel) and dropping off at the port. My most recent reservations for a full size car have been under $50. I have one next month through Costco at $45. At the port, I drop off DW and our luggage and drive to the nearby Alamo location to drop off the car. It usually takes 15-20 minutes, including waiting for the shuttle to head back to the port. They seem to run frequent shuttles. Using a rental car has alwa S been less expensive than the DCL transfers, even with just two of us. The recent increase to $39 per person makes this trend likely to continue.

Unless you just want to keep the Disney magic going I'd say go with alternative transportation, either rental car or car service. We've only used them once from the resort and didn't like the late port arrival time vs. getting on the ship early so you're not as rushed.

We did Disney transportation and the would do it again. We spent the morning at the resort, kids even went swimming and enjoyed the CBR pool. We were picked up at 12:30 at the resort. When we got to the port, we breezed through security, Disney transfers have a separate entrance. Then checked in and walked on. We had lunch at cabanas and our room was already ready. I wasn’t worried about getting there early to use the pool since the kids enjoyed the pool at the resort. What I liked best was not being worried about getting there on time. If something happened, the ship would wait for the Disney transport to get there before departing.

Last edited:
We (3 adults) will be sailing on the Fantasy this June 8th to the Western Caribbean (our first cruise) and prior to this cruise we will be spending 4 nights at WDW and staying at POR. The question I have is would you use Disney transportation from the resort to the port or use someone else? Would you also use it to take you to the airport or not after the cruise? Right now I'm not sure. My concern would be getting to the ship late when most are already on board. I'm starting to sound here like when I was a newbie on these boards over 10 years ago and planning my first WDW trip. :rotfl:
As a first time cruiser, I’d definitely do DCL transportation. After the first cruise the Magic wears off a little and other transportation is better.

Going to the port - it depends on if you feel like you want to be at the port early to get on the ship as soon as possible or not. If you want to get there early, look at other transportation options. If you don't feel you need to rush to the ship, Disney transportation is very convenient. Using DCL transportation, luggage pick-up starts at 8 am. If you're going to be up and going by then but be bored waiting around your resort until almost noon (pick-up times vary but ours have generally been 11:30-12:30), again, you might consider an alternative. We usually are "just ready enough" for luggage pick-up at 8. Have a leisurely breakfast at the resort, go back to our room to finish getting ready to be out of the room by check-out time or bus pick up whichever is first (usually check out time) then not have to rush to the meeting point. Lunch is served on board until they close down (3-3:30) to get ready for the muster drill. It would be very unusual for you to miss lunch taking DCL transportation from the resorts. We like the time the resort buses arrive because there's usually not a long line to check in, we walk right onto the ship, go directly to our cabin to drop off our hand luggage and then get lunch (which is again not so crowded as the early arrivers have eaten and moved on to other activities); it still gives us a couple of hours on the ship to wander before the muster drill.

Going to the airport after the cruise - this could depend on if you are eligible to use the On Board Airline Check-in (if you are using a participating airline, flying out the same day sometime after 11:30am, etc.) When we qualify, we always use DCL transportation back to the airport (using DCL transfers is one of the requirements to qualify for OAC). That is just such a convenient service that it is worth it if it costs a few extra dollars. (If you qualify, you are not automatically enrolled, you need to fill out an Onboard Airline Check-in form and give it to the agent who checks you in at the port or to Guest Services the first few days of the cruise.) Otherwise, choosing a different method of transportation might depend on when your flight is leaving and what you are planning to do if you have "time to kill".

If you use them, you will arrive a few hours before all-aboard time, but lunch onboard might be over by then.

We've never missed lunch onboard and have taken DCL transfers for all but one cruise where friends picked us up. I actually hated being there early for that one; the terminal was crowded, we had to wait about 90 minutes to board, people were crammed up against me, wouldn't let us through to board, and then we had to stash our bags under the table in the MDR and we kept tripping over them. Then still had to wait to get into our rooms. Blah. DCL transfers are basically no hassle, no thought required, totally relaxing and they take care of your luggage (at least on the way there).

We also decided last year on our first cruise to do an Alamo one way to get to the Port early. As it was our first cruise we really want to be one of the first on board to look around and do things etc . That actually worked out pretty well. In hindsight it was stressful just the fact that I always had in the back of my mind what if’s. What if there was an accident on the highway, What if my rental breaks down. Also it was kind of a PIA at the Alamo drop off. There were so many people waiting for the shuttle bus to the ships it was unclear which other was for Disney or which shuttle was for Royal. And basically had to fight to be first in line to ensure that we got on that shuttle. It seems like we were not the only ones with lots of luggage. So those buses fill up really fast. We also got to the port and they were not letting people in yet and there was a huge line outside so my poor mother had a stand for a very long time before security, once we were inside it was pretty empty. But I do recall which I really hated was having to push through crowds of people that will not let you get through because you’re boarding number was called. It was just Mayham. And it is kind of a PIA having luggage to look around on board. We have quite a few of hand luggage since we carry alcohol on board and other items.

I am seriously considering the DCL transfer this year. We are a family of four so the cost difference is substantial compared to the rental as we would have the car anyways as we are at WDW a few days.

The only thing I would first want to find out is when they have the sign-ups for all the tastings? Does anyone know when these usually start as I would not like to get on board after these.

I am actually starting to like the idea of having more resort time at Disney and having things taken care of for me. I believe we were on board last year with boarding group number three at 12-ish so I’m really starting to wonder what do those two hours really make a difference of?

Since you're a first time cruiser, definitely take private transportation to the port. You've spent a lot for the cruise so get there as early as possible to enjoy every minute onboard. If you have a car or van service pick you up at your resort at 9:15 you should get to the terminal around the time it opens. Feeling the excitement in the terminal is a great way to start the cruise. Take it all in. With DCL transportation, you have no idea what time you'll be picked up until the night before. You might not get to the terminal until 2-2:30 using DCL.

Going to the airport after the cruise - this could depend on if you are eligible to use the On Board Airline Check-in (if you are using a participating airline, flying out the same day sometime after 11:30am, etc.) When we qualify, we always use DCL transportation back to the airport (using DCL transfers is one of the requirements to qualify for OAC). That is just such a convenient service that it is worth it if it costs a few extra dollars. (If you qualify, you are not automatically enrolled, you need to fill out an Onboard Airline Check-in form and give it to the agent who checks you in at the port or to Guest Services the first few days of the cruise.) Otherwise, choosing a different method of transportation might depend on when your flight is leaving and what you are planning to do if you have "time to kill".

The On Board Airline Check-in service is great! We also use it every time we qualify.

If you're staying at a Disney resort before the cruise, can you put your luggage on the bus, but not actually take the bus to the port?

I'm in the camp of doing DCL transportation. We have done it everyway possible. Rented a car, PIA IMO. Crowded trying to get to the port after drop off, took way to long. Car service, nice but not a very Disney way to start a Disney vacation. They have specific times that they will drive you, I think the port has told them that they can't enter till a certain time. Disney transportation, our favorite. We have taken it from both the resorts and the airport. We have arrived at the port on the early side, 10:15ish and on the later side, 1:30ish.
The early arrival was from taking transportation from the airport. It was congested, very little seating, overall a lot of people crowded into an area meant for maybe 200 people. Getting their later was the best. This was taking transportation from the resorts. We walked right through security, right up to the counter and right onto the ship. Time from start to finish was no more than 10 minutes. No crowds, no pushing, very relaxing. We have never missed lunch however the crowds from the lunch rush were gone. Rooms are ready so you can immediately take your items and drop them off.
Your choice of course however if this is your first cruise and its a seven day I would take the morning and enjoy the resort. Your probably only going to lose an hour and a half of onboard time. That's not much in the scope of things especially when you consider you will get a relaxing start and not have to maneuver through the crowds. And you will have that Disney feel from the start to the end. Have a great cruise what ever you decide.

I have read for those who must take DCL for whatever reason and still insist on being early they do the WDW to MCO to Port Canaveral route.. For singles or even pairs, this might be the cheapest option.

Pretend you are flying home..Basically find some flight that leaves MCO between 10:30-11:30 ( I believe Magic express pick-up is 3 hours before departure time?) take ME to MCO, then order the MCO to Port bus... pretend you just landed.

drawback.. you are in a bus double time and you have to carry your suitcases.. No Cruise pick up at WDW

On our trip my family, 6 adults and one 2-year-old, took DCL transportation from the airport to the cruise and then from the cruise to WDW, and absolutely loved it. Then again, we're the type of family who does take the Magical Express when we come anyway. This was our first cruise and even though we weren't the very first ones on the ship, or anywhere close, we were still in time to have lunch and still have some down time. I think we probably got on around noon, with basically no wait since it was just open boarding by that point. Yes Cabanas was crowded, but by the time we were done eating, we were free to go to our room and relax before the muster drill. My family is also a fan of us not having to deal with our own bags and would rather have them be delivered to our room.

thank you for asking this! last cruise we took disney transportation from MCO to port and loved the convenience of staying at the Hyatt MCO. this time we are coming from CBR to port and we are debating the same thing. I priced out alternate transport for 5 and it is only saving me $20-$30. I would pay that much not to have to lug my luggage with me so i am considering WDW to MCO to PORT because I would like to select a PAT and get onboard before the WDW crowd arrives.

thank you for asking this! last cruise we took disney transportation from MCO to port and loved the convenience of staying at the Hyatt MCO. this time we are coming from CBR to port and we are debating the same thing. I priced out alternate transport for 5 and it is only saving me $20-$30. I would pay that much not to have to lug my luggage with me so i am considering WDW to MCO to PORT because I would like to select a PAT and get onboard before the WDW crowd arrives.
If I'm understanding this correctly you don't want to lug your luggage however if you go from WDW to MCO then port you are going to have to take your luggage from the resort to MCO. You will pass it off there but you still need to take it with you.
I know People do this method but I've never understood. Getting on the MCO bus for 45 minutes or so just to drag my luggage to port transportation then take another bus for another 60 minutes or so. For me that's a huge waste of time and not something I would want to do with kids. Again, 'for me'. It is obviously something others don't mind.

If I'm understanding this correctly you don't want to lug your luggage however if you go from WDW to MCO then port you are going to have to take your luggage from the resort to MCO. You will pass it off there but you still need to take it with you.
I know People do this method but I've never understood. Getting on the MCO bus for 45 minutes or so just to drag my luggage to port transportation then take another bus for another 60 minutes or so. For me that's a huge waste of time and not something I would want to do with kids. Again, 'for me'. It is obviously something others don't mind.
thanks for the insight. we are a family of 5, kids are 11,11,14 so I will make them carry their own luggage:P I think what my goal was to get onboard the ship and not have to keep track of luggage while we go eat and explore while we wait for our room. I do get how you cant understand it, its probably the same reason I havent pulled the trigger. We only have 4 days on the ship. Im thinking an extra 3 hours on the ship will be worth it which is why Im thinking my route will work. maybe someone will chime in with a better suggestion.

thanks for the insight. we are a family of 5, kids are 11,11,14 so I will make them carry their own luggage:P I think what my goal was to get onboard the ship and not have to keep track of luggage while we go eat and explore while we wait for our room. I do get how you cant understand it, its probably the same reason I havent pulled the trigger. We only have 4 days on the ship. Im thinking an extra 3 hours on the ship will be worth it which is why Im thinking my route will work. maybe someone will chime in with a better suggestion.

I think that if you have purchased transfers before your check-in, you have no pre-selected PAT even if you are going from MCO to the port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!