Disney Transportation to Port Canaveral

Our first cruise was a 3 night so I wanted to arrive to the port early and spend more time on the ship. We took the first DCL bus from the airport (after staying the night at MCO Hyatt) and was the first to arrive at the port. Like others have mentioned the crowds started to build and it became hectic. This time we are taking a 7 day cruise and transfers from the resort. I want to get there after the crowds this time.

Getting to the port before 11:30, you'll find a large crowd. Many people "just show up" around 10-10:30, regardless of their port arrival time. Since actual boarding doesn't begin until 11:30, the crowd just builds and builds until (generally) around 12:30 or so. The "sweet spot" for arrival is actually 12:15-12:45ish. That's after the mass of early arrivers and before the resort busses start arriving.

You won't "get on the boat earlier" just because you arrive at 10:00.

We've been on that first bus out from MCO. While the terminal is pretty empty when you first arrive, it gets to be a madhouse (not "relaxing" at all). There are limited seating options and people wind up trying to squeeze in anywhere they see 5 inches of space between people on the seats, or all over the floor (forget about getting up to stretch your legs - there'll be 5 people trying to sit in your now empty space). Then, once boarding begins, the masses just head for the line, regardless of their actual boarding number, and hover around the entrance to the queue "just waiting" for their number to be called. And, boy, do they love to give the stink-eye to anyone who says "excuse me, they've called my number" trying to get in the queue.

I've only embarked from Miami, but this checks out with my experience (though the crowding wasn't as bad as you describe--not sure if the Miami cruise terminal is bigger, if it's because I was boarding one of the smaller ships, or if it just happened to be a different vibe to the crowd). I'd ended up being among the first people there because the flight that was supposed to get me in the night before had been delayed and I'd ended up on a red-eye, so at 9:00 that morning I was looking at either sitting and waiting in the airport or sitting and waiting in the cruise terminal. Chose the cruise terminal. It was fine (I was able to find a seat at the far end, away from where people went up the escalator to board), but I sat and waited for several hours before they even started boarding, plus I had a higher boarding number due to arriving by DCL transfer and had to continue to wait a while after boarding had begun. I guess I got on the ship maybe an hour earlier than I would have if I'd arrived at 1:00, but I'm not sure I got even a full hour of extra ship time out of being there so early, and it meant that I didn't have anything to do while I waited but sit in my corner, watch the forklifts, and play around on my phone. 3/10 would not do it that way again.

We took the DCL bus from POR once. Yes, it left around noon. But they pick up your luggage from your room that morning, you just leave it in there packed with the tags on. (They did ours while we were at breakfast.) And when we got to the port there were no lines and we checked in and just walked right on the ship. It was the least stressful trip to the port that I have ever done.

Seriously, having done the early arrival to port once, it's not what I envision when I envision a relaxing embarkation day--and that was coming direct from the Miami airport, not riding multiple buses (presumably ME to airport the night before, hotel shuttle to hotel the night before, hotel shuttle to airport that morning, DCL transfer to port--that's four bus rides when you could choose to do only one!) and handling one's own luggage through a lot of that. When I cruise in 2020 I'm going to have a slow, easy, relaxing morning at the resort. I'll have a leisurely breakfast while someone else deals with my luggage, then hang out by the pool until it's time to go. That sounds really relaxing to me, even before we get to the part where I'll walk right on the ship within minutes of getting there.

Just to confirm DCL now picks up at POP. I thought they only stopped at Deluxe and Moderates back in the day:confused3

Just to confirm DCL now picks up at POP. I thought they only stopped at Deluxe and Moderates back in the day:confused3

They picked up at AoA in Feb. I'm booked in Pop in July with DCL transportation, and my TA did not indicate it was a problem. Friends were at Sports in Jan and were picked up. So I'm pretty sure they all have pick up if paid for.

DCL has been picking up at all WDW resorts for many years now. PP is correct that once upon a time the DCL transfers only picked up at certain resorts. But that is very old. Curently, all onsite WDW resorts, plus I believe Swan/Dolphin, have access to DCL transfers.

Enjoy your cruise!

I’ll also throw in my experience on this. Sailed twice out of PC. First time I got the earliest PAT time I could. Got there very early. Waited for them to start boarding. Got in in the first 10 minutes, crowds onboard were awful. No seating at Cabanas and an overall stressful start.

2nd time we used DCL transport, arrived around 1pm. Got through security, checked in and boarded immediately with no wait and no crowds. Buffet crowds had dispersed and by the time we were done eating our room was open. Pleasant and wonderful experience. I won’t do it any other way. Even though I also hate just hanging around the resort for hours waiting for the bus, it’s still a much better experience overall.

Last edited:
I just mentioned this in another thread, but we've found it cheaper to use private transporation vs. Disney to/from the port. That may not work for a party of 1 I'd imagine. But if it's been 3, 7, or 11 we've always gone private transport to/from wherever we are at whatever time we want and spent less than Disney's pricing. But for one, that may not be the case.

We are always some of the first to arrive at the port! The anticipation is half the fun! If we drive we park in the parking garage and wait in line...we are usually some of the first to enter terminal which means we get a table to relax at close to the back so we can check out the ship and watch them load it. We are platinum so we board first! If we arrive by Air we usually stay at a Disney Resort and have private transportation pick us up at about 8:30. An hour to the port and a stop at Publix...we are giving our luggage to the porter about about 9:45 then on to deck 3 of the parking garage to wait in line. Usually one of the first in the terminal using this method as well. As a party of 6, we have found that private transfers can actually be cheaper. We usually use Happy Limo. With a large party a stretch limo round trip can actually be cheaper than DCL buses and A LOT more swanky...LOL!

We don't mind the crowds...again because we get there early...we usually have a table to sit at...and we board first so we don't have to deal with the crowd for long!

Happy Sailing!

I’ll also throw in my experience on this. Sailed twice out of PC. First time I got the earliest PAT time I could. Got there very early. Waited for them to start boarding. Got in in the first 10 minutes, crowds onboard were awful. No seating at Cabanas and an overall stressful start.

2nd time we used DCL transport, arrived around 1pm. Got through security, checked in and boarded immediately with no wait and no crowds. Buffet crowds had dispersed and by the time we were done eating our room was open. Pleasant and wonderful experience. I won’t do it any other way. Even though I also hate just hanging around the resort for hours waiting for the bus, it’s still a much better experience overall.

This is exactly what we experienced. The stress-free beginning to a cruise is really wonderful. I think they picked up our bags from our room around 8:00 AM (we didn't even have to be there, just have the tags on them). I would do this all the time but we live in Tampa and drive our own car to WDW before the cruise, so leaving the car at the WDW hotel there is something we were able to do because we had a before and after stay, but not something they advertise.

PP is correct that once upon a time the DCL transfers only picked up at certain resorts. But that is very old.

I recall when we booked our very first cruise in 2000 you could book land and sea packages. Your cabin category and hotel category were linked (i.e., Deluxe resorts were booked in cat 5 and better, Moderate cat something to cat 6, etc.) and they picked you up regardless of where you were staying. It's possible that they stopped picking up at value resorts later after they stopped doing the land/sea packages but I'm pretty sure that they did pick up at values in 2000. We were actually originally booked at the Swan or Dolphin but wanted Boardwalk which we finally got but they would have picked us up at S/D too if we hadn't got moved.

Thank you LaneJudy! I'm an early riser anyway, so getting to Port Canaveral before 11:30am is not a problem for me. Plus this will give me time to check in with smaller crowds and I can get on the boat earlier to wander around and check things out. Am thinking of grabbing an early DME bus to MCO, check my bags at the DCL desk, then grab the next available bus to Port Canaveral. I don't mind waiting at the terminal for them to start boarding the ship, I just want to get there, check-in, and relax. I'm wondering if it's worth spending that last night at a hotel at or near the airport?

LaneJudy’s point about getting to the terminal early is it is NOT “low crowds” when you get there early. It will be packed with people prior to them starting boarding.

If low crowds for checking in is your objective, the bus from WDW would be the better option.

I recall when we booked our very first cruise in 2000 you could book land and sea packages. Your cabin category and hotel category were linked (i.e., Deluxe resorts were booked in cat 5 and better, Moderate cat something to cat 6, etc.) and they picked you up regardless of where you were staying. It's possible that they stopped picking up at value resorts later after they stopped doing the land/sea packages but I'm pretty sure that they did pick up at values in 2000. We were actually originally booked at the Swan or Dolphin but wanted Boardwalk which we finally got but they would have picked us up at S/D too if we hadn't got moved.

Yeah, there was a time when they didn't pick up from every hotel. But they used to pick up from the parks as well. I think it was so you could spend the morning in a park before leaving for the port. I remember Animal Kingdom had sign out front marking where the DCL bus would pick you up. And I've actually seen it there before as well. That is also a thing of the past, but some still squeeze in some park time that morning anyway.

I am still super confused.
I will be staying at the hyatt (at MCO) the night before my cruise and plan to use DCL transfers to get to Port Canaveral.
I haven't booked my DCL transfer yet.
When i do online booking (for my DCL cruise) in a few weeks do i still choose a boarding time? Should I book my DCL transfer before or after online check in?
Total rookie here. lol

I am still super confused.
I will be staying at the hyatt (at MCO) the night before my cruise and plan to use DCL transfers to get to Port Canaveral.
I haven't booked my DCL transfer yet.
When i do online booking (for my DCL cruise) in a few weeks do i still choose a boarding time? Should I book my DCL transfer before or after online check in?
Total rookie here. lol

If you book your transportation through Disney to the port before you do your online check in, you will not have an option to pick an arrival time.(it is not a boarding time but a time to show up to the port terminal). If you have the option to pick an arrival time, just pick any time because it will not matter. You will just go down to the buses at the airport and get on the first available bus. You will be assigned a boarding group number to get on to the ship when you get there, which is based on how far out you do your online check in and NOT on when you arrive at the terminal. They make it very easy. We usually stay at the Hyatt the night before our cruises. We just take our bags down with us and Disney takes it from there. They will check you in and tell you what bus you will be on. Make sure to have your booklet that they send you and ID for everyone over 18. Make sure to have in your carry on bag everyone's passport since you will need that at the port terminal. It does not really matter if you purchase transfers before or after check in, but might as well get it taken care of so you don't forget or wait too long. Have a fun cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter