Disney Transportation on NYE

Zaptrem2

Earning My Ears
My family will be at Disney this year from December 30th to January 5th. For NYE, we were planning to spend the morning at AK (least crowds) and head back to the Poly in the late afternoon before going to Epcot late night for fireworks (hoping the parks wont be closed). I have two questions:

How bad do you think the traffic will be getting from the Poly to AK in the morning/afternoon? We dont have a car, so I’m trying to decide between a Disney Transportaion bus or possibly an Uber.

Any tips or tricks on the quickest route back to the Poly after the Epcot fireworks? I read that the crowds will be crazy, and I’m trying to figure out the quickest/least crowded route back as we’ll have a 5 year old and 7 year old with us.

Thanks!

We'll be at the Polynesian for the same dates.

We were also there last year for NYE and stayed at AKL.

Going anywhere by bus in the afternoon is pretty awful. I have a TR in my signature if you're curious. I had planned and planned and read everything about NYE at Disney World, and am a seasoned visitor at other times of the year, and I had my plan ready. We tried to leave AKL around noonish to go to Epcot. We waited a half hour to an hour or so for the bus and then it took TWO HOURS to get to Epcot. Traffic was at a standstill.

You should be fine on the bus to AK in the morning.

Right now our plan is to go to DHS in the morning, take the boat to Epcot and walk through it to take the monorail back to the Polynesian. Either that or we'll go to the Magic Kingdom in the morning and just stay for a little while. (DH kind of wants to do MK on NYE...last year we did 12/30 at MK and had a good time, so he is remembering that. MK was closed around noon last year to new guests, so I'm not necessarily on board with that!)

Editing to add - Traffic will be terrible and monorails will be crowded on your way back to the Poly after late night fireworks. Pack lots of patience and make sure you have a plan for your kids if you happen to get separated. I would choose the monorail to the TTC and then walk to the Polynesian from there (it's very close).

Good luck and if you have any questions I'll answer as best I can given my experience!

Have fun planning!

Last edited:
We did NYE last year too, stayed at Poly. In my opinion @xlsm has given you spot on advice.

I am also a relatively seasoned WDW traveler during a variety of seasons/holidays, but this was our first NYE. While this may sound like hyperbole, traffic that day all around MK and Epcot was beyond anything you can imagine or that I have ever experienced. We've done 7/4 the last 2 years and that is child's play compared to NYE.

NYE morning, we went to Epcot by monorail and traffic was already beginning to back up big time at the MK toll booth around 9:30am.

We left Epcot to go back to Poly (via monorail) around 2:30 I think and I have never been so happy to be up/above the roads and on the monorail in my life. Traffic below getting into Epcot and as far as you could see down World Drive was backed up. Buses are in that same traffic.

For your plans, getting from Poly to AK that morning should be easy - nothing really to worry about there as you're going against / away from most of the flow.

Getting from AK back to Poly will likely be more of a burden, so build in extra time.

Fortunately this year the MK resort "flyover" is done and provides better access to the MK resorts... but it will only help so long as you can get to it. Traffic builds up well before the split off.

Hope that helps... happy to answer any questions.

FWIW... despite my observations above, I could not have been happier with our choice of staying on the monorail and the trip/day was a lot of fun.

We were in EPCOT this past NYE. We watched the fireworks by the big fountain on the Mouse Gears side. As soon as the fireworks were over, we speed walked to the buses and got right on, we were back to the POR by 1230, I would assume a similar experience, or at least a short wait, for the monorail, if you head straight there quickly after the fireworks.

NYE morning, we went to Epcot by monorail and traffic was already beginning to back up big time at the MK toll booth around 9:30am.

We left Epcot to go back to Poly (via monorail) around 2:30 I think and I have never been so happy to be up/above the roads and on the monorail in my life. Traffic below getting into Epcot and as far as you could see down World Drive was backed up. Buses are in that same traffic.

We did a similar journey ^^^^ and I can vouch for accuracy without hyperbole. We are contemplating AK in the am this year for NYE but still pondering best course of action to get back to WL in the afternoon. Not sure we will stick to that plan...

As a retired bus driver, traffic will be bad all day, but like someone said, once MK closes, World Drive becomes a parking lot. It will be interesting to see now as they are in process of opening the flyover to the resorts, and a right lane for FW. I haven't seen that yet as located in Houston TX now, but I have heard from my driver friends they are in the process of opening the lanes and using the flyover road. Also when leaving MK after fireworks is usually the worst (thats where I worked every year at that time...) as people want to go one way, but your only option is to go straight South on World Drive to where I believe you can exit off at Osceola Parkway...State Troopers block the Epcot and DHS exits and only allow Disney Buses to take the exits. Best of luck and Have fun!!

Bumping up from last year. Did any of you attempt this for NYE last year? I am staying at Fort Wilderness and am planning to drive to AK in the mornING and then return for a break at 2/3pm (hoping the roads will be better by then - or should we bus it?).

Then bus to Epcot at 7pm or so, returning by bus about 1/1:30am.

We can drive or bus but not sure what is best. Any thoughts on this plan?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter