Disney Transport from resorts - how late DO you arrive?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
So if you do Disney transport from the resorts, what is the worst case scenario? is it possible you will miss embarkation lunch entirely on the ship?

Also does anyone know if you you can get late checkout if the bus is later than checkout? what do you do for the time between checkout and bus arrival?

The luggage handling is tempting but I don't really want to eat lunch at 2:30 either with early dining.

Worst case scenario: our 12:30 bus broke down on its way to PC and another one had to pick us up. If I remember correctly we arrived between 2:00 and 2:30.

We had to eat fast and then did the fire drill...

Barely had time to relax before dinner. And yes... We had first seating. :/

But the two previous time we used the DCL shuttle and get there around 1:00-1:30... Much better!

Another option:
If you book private transportation you can arrive earlier. If you have 4 in your group it’s about the same price.
The driver will load your luggage into the car. When you arrive at the port the porters will take your luggage and deliver it to your cabin

Another option:
If you book private transportation you can arrive earlier. If you have 4 in your group it’s about the same price.
The driver will load your luggage into the car. When you arrive at the port the porters will take your luggage and deliver it to your cabin

I only have two (myself and my son) but I have read that uber/lyft can be around the same price as 2x one way disney transport.

So if you do Disney transport from the resorts, what is the worst case scenario? is it possible you will miss embarkation lunch entirely on the ship?

Also does anyone know if you you can get late checkout if the bus is later than checkout? what do you do for the time between checkout and bus arrival?

The luggage handling is tempting but I don't really want to eat lunch at 2:30 either with early dining.

The cruise transfer bus will pick you up somewhere between 1030 and 1230 at your resort. You’ll get the information on that the night before. If it’s a later bus, yes your resort might allow you to wait in your room. People do lots of things on the morning of the cruise – go to a character breakfast, spend a little time in a park, enjoy the pool at the resort. All of those are possible. The buffet at Cabanas will have lots of options, and you certainly don’t have to eat a large lunch if you have early dining. You can pick and choose just what you like. Or you can enjoy a snack of pizza or burgers and fries on the pool deck. Especially if you go to a character breakfast, you may not even be hungry for lunch when you arrive on the ship.

We just did this 2 weeks ago. Luggage was picked up from our room at 8am. Went to breakfast and headed back to the room to get our backpacks and hung out there until 11a. We then went to the lobby area until 12:25 when the bus picked us up. I will likely rent a car next time because we didn't get to the port until almost 2:15. Not enough time to have a non-rushed lunch and get settled in before the drill. Other option that I saw somewhere mentioned is to head back to MCO and then catch the DCL bus to the port.

I've been beating myself up over the past few months as to whether I'm going to use Uber/Lyft, limo service or use Disney. Well today I made that decision, called my TA and will be using Disney transportation. I just don't want to worry about a limo service not showing up. Or using Uber and the car breaks down, or if there is an accident on the highway on the way to the port. The peace of mind for me is well worth getting to the ship possible a little later. That and Disney handling my luggage is priceless. My plans are to sleep in a little bit at the resort, catch a later breakfast, and if I don't make lunch at the Cabana's I'm OK with that since I have an early seating on our cruise.

We have used Disney transportation from Port Orleans 3 times got there each time between 1-1:30.

Nice to not wait to go on ship and the first people will be moved on to eat lunch and find a seat at Cabanas. Really it only 1-2 hours later than the first ones on. Bonus to be able to drop off carry ones in the room if opened.

We actually left early from the resort because bus came a bit early and everyone was there waiting. I think they told us 12:00 takes an hour to get to port I believe.

We usually eat and enjoy the resort the morning of.

We have used DCL transportation a couple of times and have always arrived in time for lunch. That being said, we then moved on to booking our own transportation so that we could choose our own time schedule. When you choose DCL transport it all depends on where you are staying as well as where your fellow cruisers are staying. There is no way to know in advance how the busses will run.

But I have to say that those Disney cartoons playing on their busses really get you in the mood!!

Last edited:
My plan right now is to spend 2 nights at the boardwalk villas. We were given complimentary 1 day parkhoppers on our last trip for an issue we had so of course what I did was turn right around and add a day at the parks to the front of my cruise, lol. So we'll fly in Thursday middle of the day and hang at the resort and then Friday I have a whirlwind "4 parks one day" planned because why not? So it will be a long and crazy day.

Then Saturday I thought we could have a "late" breakfast at around 9am (that is late for my son, he is an early riser) and IDEALLY depart the resort around 11ish - I guess leave the room around 11 and make our way to the lobby etc and actually be in the car around 11:15 or so and arrive at the port around 12:30 for most efficient boarding.

OR I am CC Gold, I could probably get an early PAT and be one of the first on the ship. We could do a quick breakfast at boardwalk bakery or an early (8am) breakfast at ale and compass (chances are good my kid will be up at 6:30 anyway) and hit the road around 9:30am. I'm not going to have rolling carryon luggage, just our backpacks so carrying it around is not a big deal. We could go with bathing suits under our clothing and get an early start to our cruise. That said it will be February and whether it is swimming weather in florida is very hit or miss. This is more waiting around at the cruise terminal though but might be worth it to be one of the first on the ship?

Either of these options require I get my own transportation. I have read uber/lyft is an option and estimates are around $80 which is about 2 bus fares (not counting tip of course). If I am flexibleish on time that might be a good option. I have used lyft before in Orlando and on a recent business trip (It is not big where I live) and it worked out great. OR I can get a town car which would be double that but it would be more reliable I guess - part of me hates paying that much but then the other part of me is mentally adding up what this trip is gonna cost between airfare and cruise fare and incidentals and I'm likely gonna be in it for nearly $6k, do I really need to make a big deal over $100?

OR I could just roll the dice and show up when we show up with the Disney bus but honestly that sounds later than I am comfortable with and I don't know why. It sounds like 12:30 arriving at 1:30 is a worst case scenario (not counting any unusual occurrences) and I'd like to arrive an hour earlier at the latest. Is it worth it for me to go the lyft route (same price) to get the extra hour or the towncar route for extra reliability?

Easiest for me as a single mom would be the disney bus I think but I'm not sure I like how it potentially crushes my day. I don't want to do the car rental because of the hassle of me handling luggage and my kid with the shuttle bus etc. I need to be able to hand someone cash and have them handle the luggage for the most part (or tip the lyft driver through the app) not be dragging 4 heavy suitcases onto a shuttle bus (I know sometimes the driver helps but not always and I know there can be big crowds of people waiting for the bus - to me this is a stressful way to start vacation and only works if one adult can be dropped at the port and stays with luggage and then another deals with car and meeting up at the port).

Second easiest is a town car but it is also the most expensive option.

Lyft is probably almost as easy, about the same price as the bus, but also has the uncertainty built into it.

so I just don't know. I am CC gold but this will likely be my last disney cruise for a while - I took 5 cruises prior to 2005 and as a single mom its a stretch for me to afford it. so I kind of don't want to skimp on this cruise but just do everything "right" for me. I am struggling to figure that out.

Lisa, someone recently posted about a lyft fare of over $100.

I would reconsider a one day, one way rental. You could pick it up at the Dolphin. When you get to the port, drop your luggage at the terminal with the porters. Then you and your son will only have to deal with your carryons on the shuttle. I have done this as a widow (although Hertz) and found it very easy.

Lisa, someone recently posted about a lyft fare of over $100.

I would reconsider a one day, one way rental. You could pick it up at the Dolphin. When you get to the port, drop your luggage at the terminal with the porters. Then you and your son will only have to deal with your carryons on the shuttle. I have done this as a widow (although Hertz) and found it very easy.

Oh so you can drive into the port, drop luggage and then take off again to deal with the rental return? that would just give me the most flexibility in timing as well. Hmmmm. I thought I would not be able to drop luggage without an adult to supervise.

That option is $75 which I like :) If I pick the first PAT can I just show up later if I feel like it?

Last edited:
Oh so you can drive into the port, drop luggage and then take off again to deal with the rental return? that would just give me the most flexibility in timing as well. Hmmmm. I thought I would not be able to drop luggage without an adult to supervise.

That option is $75 which I like :) If I pick the first PAT can I just show up later if I feel like it?

The porters take the dropped luggage and sort it for delivery on the ship. You do not stay with it, so no adult needs to stay. Keep your carry-ons, and you and your son can shuttle back to the ship. You can arrive as late as 3PM.

The porters take the dropped luggage and sort it for delivery on the ship. You do not stay with it, so no adult needs to stay. Keep your carry-ons, and you and your son can shuttle back to the ship. You can arrive as late as 3PM.

So basically I can pick my early PAT and if we wake up and want to book it for the ship, I can pick up my car as early as 8am at the Dolphin. Or if we want to have a leisurely breakfast we can do that too and arrive more like 12:30 when the people waiting in the terminal have boarded.

This definitely seems like the way to go. I had no idea that I could drop my stuff with the porters and THEN return the car, that is a game changer.

I booked it since it costs me nothing to do so and now I can stalk next 11 months for a price reduction ;)

Thanks! Now I'm glad I reviewed my options out loud. and thanks to @BCV23 for making me reconsider.

The two previous times we've taken Disney transportation from the resort to the terminal (once from AKL and once from Poly), we left the resort around 11:30ish and got to the terminal somewhere around 1 pm.

We're doing this again in about a month (from the Poly). We have a 9 am ADR for Kona Cafe and, after that, we'll probably just hang out at the resort until the bus picks us up. My only concern about arriving too late is that we're sort of hoping to do the MDR lunch option (very relaxing way to start a cruise) and I believe that closes at 2 pm. I figure we probably have about an 80-90% chance of making this and, if not, there's always Cabanas, which is open until 3 pm.

The two previous times we've taken Disney transportation from the resort to the terminal (once from AKL and once from Poly), we left the resort around 11:30ish and got to the terminal somewhere around 1 pm.

We're doing this again in about a month (from the Poly). We have a 9 am ADR for Kona Cafe and, after that, we'll probably just hang out at the resort until the bus picks us up. My only concern about arriving too late is that we're sort of hoping to do the MDR lunch option (very relaxing way to start a cruise) and I believe that closes at 2 pm. I figure we probably have about an 80-90% chance of making this and, if not, there's always Cabanas, which is open until 3 pm.

We did the MDR lunch last time because my dad.. how do I put this delicately. He is not a good traveler. It stresses him out tremendously and he deals with stress by being very angry at everything and everyone, so I tried to make it as stress free as possible. We showed up around 1pm and then went to MDR lunch (they flew in the day before and rented the car at the airport and stayed with us at the resort then we all drove to the port, dropping luggage and people off first). He also does NOT like buffets although will tolerate them under best of circumstances... under the stress of travel, forget it.

The seated lunch was nice and they enjoyed it. Way too much food but not as much choice as cabanas - there was nothing that was fantastic there but it was decent. I think I would prefer cabanas myself next time traveling just with the kiddo. I was just looking at the newest posted navigators and it appears to be in animator's palate instead of enchanted garden now. not sure if that matters to you!

I am a fan of the MDR lunch, too. The only time I took the DCL to the port at Cape Canaveral (have taken it a number of times post cruise), we barely made it. Lunch ended at 1:30 and I think we walked in at 1:25. My DD on the other hand is happy with Cabanas or room service for lunch and has taken the DCL bus several times. As Lisa F said the embarkation lunch is now in AP which is a plus to me as there is no need to wait for the very busy elevators at that time.

Glad it may work out for you, Lisa F. I liked being in control, too. Just one note...I've read different times for when the port opens for private cars. !0:00 or 10:30 IIRC. I know it was not an issue for me but don't remember our arrival time.

We chose to use Tiffany Towncar last trip and are doing it again in June. We had a 3 night cruise and now a 4, and I have FOMO anyway, so this will get us there quickly. It does cost more than DCL transport but I felt it was worth it. They will pick us up after our 1 night at WDW (on DVC points) by 930. I know I will be waiting at the terminal but that's OK. We will, however, use the DCL bus back to the airport.

Thanks for asking this question, and thanks to all that answered it. August 2020 will be our first cruise out of Port Canaveral, and we'll be staying at a DVC resort before it. We will likely just do the DCL transport, so good to know the range of pick up and arrival times.

I am a fan of the MDR lunch, too. The only time I took the DCL to the port at Cape Canaveral (have taken it a number of times post cruise), we barely made it. Lunch ended at 1:30 and I think we walked in at 1:25. My DD on the other hand is happy with Cabanas or room service for lunch and has taken the DCL bus several times. As Lisa F said the embarkation lunch is now in AP which is a plus to me as there is no need to wait for the very busy elevators at that time.

Glad it may work out for you, Lisa F. I liked being in control, too. Just one note...I've read different times for when the port opens for private cars. !0:00 or 10:30 IIRC. I know it was not an issue for me but don't remember our arrival time.
If I remember the PAT options are 10:30 and later I THINK. The kid does not like waiting around so I think it is far more likely we'd leave around check out time at the resort, aiming to get there at 12:30 which is the sweet spot for "walk right on without crowds but don't waste too much of the day." I am ok with giving away the first 45 minutes to an hour to avoid the crowds but don't really want to give away twice that or more.

Also I could stop and get some wine on the way too :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter