Disney to Start Charging Cancellation Fees!!!!

If you get into a loop of stupidity with calling CM's at the call centers and, you can't get your problem solved, send an email to Guest Services. wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Anyone from Disney who takes 2 seconds to think about your problem will see it's a glitch with Disney's Awesome Online Experience and fix it for you.

Anyone who has problems that need to be fixed should avoid the call centers and go to Guest Services for help.

Welcome to the New Disney "Customer Service".

~NM
PS . Guest services is experiencing a higher than normal call volume because of a customer base that got "woke" with yet another ridiculous up-charge (Resorts Parking). If worse comes to worse the front desk at your resort ~SHOULD~ be willing to fix this for you. YMMV.

If you get into a loop of stupidity with calling CM's at the call centers and, you can't get your problem solved, send an email to Guest Services. wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Anyone from Disney who takes 2 seconds to think about your problem will see it's a glitch with Disney's Awesome Online Experience and fix it for you.

Anyone who has problems that need to be fixed should avoid the call centers and go to Guest Services for help.

Welcome to the New Disney "Customer Service".

~NM
PS . Guest services is experiencing a higher than normal call volume because of a customer base that got "woke" with yet another ridiculous up-charge (Resorts Parking). If worse comes to worse the front desk at your resort ~SHOULD~ be willing to fix this for you. YMMV.
Fix what?

It's the same as I've always known it to be, within 5 days. Of course this is online and not over the phone.

Online it’s super easy to see what the policies you’ll be bound to are, because it’s there to read. If that’s what is there when making a reservation, that’s what it is.

Online it’s super easy to see what the policies you’ll be bound to are, because it’s there to read. If that’s what is there when making a reservation, that’s what it is.

That's what I think too. However, after posting that picture, I wondered if perhaps the OP meant that the policy was changing in the future to charging a fee? I took the wording of "their new cancellation policy" meaning it's in effect but perhaps it isn't. Honestly this kind of thing catches like wildfire so regardless of whether it's true or not, it's out there now.

I booked a room only reservation today and the cancelation policy is the same as its always been - full refund of deposit if canceled 5 days prior.

eta - Disney or non Disney no matter the vacation or reason for travel I only book room only accommodations with 5 - 7 day full refund cancellation policies as our plans often change. I often have to tweak things a few days here and there to accommodate everyone's work schedules. If the cancelation policy changes on WDW room only bookings then I personally will book elsewhere.

Yeah, and up to a week ago, you did not have to pay for parking either.
That's what I think too. However, after posting that picture, I wondered if perhaps the OP meant that the policy was changing in the future to charging a fee? I took the wording of "their new cancellation policy" meaning it's in effect but perhaps it isn't. Honestly this kind of thing catches like wildfire so regardless of whether it's true or not, it's out there now.
In all fairness though, the subject in discussion here is nothing new.
The fee mentioned in the OPs initial post is not new. It's the long standing fee associated with packages. Just because a CM quoted the incorrect fee for room only doesn't mean it's changed and they aren't starting to charge anything.
Though OP didn't even mention in their first post what type of reservation they had.
And after 5 days, there has always been a cancellation fee.
So bottom line here, this is much ado about nothing. There's been no change to room only or package cancellation fees.

In all fairness though, the subject in discussion here is nothing new.
The fee mentioned in the OPs initial post is not new. It's the long standing fee associated with packages. Just because a CM quoted the incorrect fee for room only doesn't mean it's changed and they aren't starting to charge anything.
Though OP didn't even mention in their first post what type of reservation they had.
And after 5 days, there has always been a cancellation fee.
So bottom line here, this is much ado about nothing. There's been no change to room only or package cancellation fees.
I understand that. My point was, just because something did not exist in the past, does not mean it cannot change, i.e parking fees.

This is what the T&C on the website says about cancelling:
  • For cancellations made 2 days to 29 days prior to guest arrival, amounts paid, minus a cancellation fee of $200.00 per package and minus any cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, non-refundable air transportation, non-refundable runDisney race registrations, travel insurance premiums and other amounts owed, will be refunded. No refunds are given for cancellation of any personalized products or experiences.
Is that new?

Not new.

That's always been the case for packages since I started booking them 6 years ago.

It might stop those, but it is going to make others not so happy when they have a last minute emergency!

That's what trip insurance is for.

We have been going to Disney regularly and staying on property without any cancellation fees for about 18 years now.

Incorrect. You've been booking rooms and not reading the terms and conditions. The room-only and package cancellation policies (forfeiture of deposit if cancelling within 5 days for room-only and 30 days for packages) have been in affect for years now. The only recent change is WDW reduced the package cancellation time frame from 45 days to 30 days (making it more lenient) about a year ago.

Just cancel the rooms you don't need and keep checking your cc statement to make sure the deposit dropped off. Are the reservations connected through MDE? Just cancel there and make sure the reservations drop off your account. If you need help or are confused about a policy or reservation, ask for guest services on the phone and bypass the ever-growing number of clueless phone CM's.

We have made around 35 trips to WDW since 1989. I only have my own personal experiences to go on and what is written on the web site. To this point we have never cancelled any reservations made by phone or online other than rearranging ADR's. However we had a trip planned for February 3 till February 10 of this year. We have AP's so our reservation was for room only at Port Orleans French Quarter River View Room. On February 2 I went to the Eye Doctor and was diagnosed with a detached retina. Vacation cancelled! At around 6:00 pm on 2/2 I called and told the CM the situation. She was very helpful and considerate and cancelled the reservation and refunded the one night deposit I had previously paid. We cancelled the flight on Southwest and we were credited the funds for future use. So the net effect was no cost to us for cancelling about 24 hours before arrival.

I am not trying to say this is their policy or others will be treated the same, but we have asked several times (actually my wife has asked) if when a CM at a resort pulls up our reservation can they see our "history". According to several CM's they have said that since around 2005-06 they can see our "record" but not prior to that. Our record is pretty good. We have not made and cancelled reservations until this latest emergency. We have not done so for lower rates etc. Partially because I guess I am lazy and don't want to go through all that and partially because I get what we want and we keep it. My wife who is retired from working as a Registrar/Attendance Clerk at a Middle School for many years is completely convinced that your permanent record follows you and Disney like Educators may draw certain conclusions from those records.

Not looking for trouble just giving an opinion and actually example based on personal history. My Wife on the other hand will tell you exactly how it works.

We have made around 35 trips to WDW since 1989. I only have my own personal experiences to go on and what is written on the web site. To this point we have never cancelled any reservations made by phone or online other than rearranging ADR's. However we had a trip planned for February 3 till February 10 of this year. We have AP's so our reservation was for room only at Port Orleans French Quarter River View Room. On February 2 I went to the Eye Doctor and was diagnosed with a detached retina. Vacation cancelled! At around 6:00 pm on 2/2 I called and told the CM the situation. She was very helpful and considerate and cancelled the reservation and refunded the one night deposit I had previously paid. We cancelled the flight on Southwest and we were credited the funds for future use. So the net effect was no cost to us for cancelling about 24 hours before arrival.

I am not trying to say this is their policy or others will be treated the same, but we have asked several times (actually my wife has asked) if when a CM at a resort pulls up our reservation can they see our "history". According to several CM's they have said that since around 2005-06 they can see our "record" but not prior to that. Our record is pretty good. We have not made and cancelled reservations until this latest emergency. We have not done so for lower rates etc. Partially because I guess I am lazy and don't want to go through all that and partially because I get what we want and we keep it. My wife who is retired from working as a Registrar/Attendance Clerk at a Middle School for many years is completely convinced that your permanent record follows you and Disney like Educators may draw certain conclusions from those records.

Not looking for trouble just giving an opinion and actually example based on personal history. My Wife on the other hand will tell you exactly how it works.

Guest services has the ability to throw some pixie dust around. That is not stated policy, however, so you got lucky and, it sounds like, if you had had travel insurance and were not pixie dusted, you would have had a valid medical claim. I think, generally, rule of thumb, IMHO, is read the terms and conditions when booking any travel and prepare yourself for situations that may arise. My concern with OP's post is that he/she, it seems, never read the terms and conditions of their WDW bookings and that could set anyone up for financial disappointment if you don't understand the cancellation policies you've agreed to when making the booking.

I fully understand the terms and conditions and always have. When you book it makes you click on a box that says "I agree to the terms and conditions...." Heck you even have to do that when making ADR's. Since I am booking room only and my deposit is only one night (usually around $260) I do not get trip insurance. Also maybe because I am lazy, or maybe because I don't see the value, or maybe because that amount is not that big a deal I don't get trip insurance. Yes, Guest Services has the ability to waive deposits and do some other things, but I assure you while I have no proof of the concept, I still tend to agree with my wife's "permanent record" theory.

I do not and have not in 35 plus trips tried to game the system. I like to think as a result I have built some credibility in the process. We tend to get "lucky" often on our trips with great room locations (even though we don't request them) and other perks. We don't expect them, we don't ask for them and we are truly appreciative when we receive them. I like to think it's just good Karma in the whole process.

To this point we have never cancelled any reservations made by phone or online
But not being subject to a cancellation fee isn't the same as said fee not existing.

She was very helpful and considerate and cancelled the reservation and refunded the one night deposit
This is someone making an exception to the terms and conditions, not a change in policy.

Interesting. Last year, I had a 1 night reservation and considered changing the date because I wasn't sure I would be able to make it down the night before, but when I clicked to modify it indicated "Change Fee may apply" or some such. So, I Googled for Disney's Cancellation/Change Policy and the site I found said if you modified inside 30 days you had to pay $200 and if you cancelled, you lost everything. As the single night cost less than $200, it didn't make sense to pay $200 to move it to a different date. It ended up being a throwaway (I drove down the next morning), but I did get FoP FastPasses out of it, so not that big of a loss.

But, the next time I made a reservation, I noticed it said there was no cancellation fee if you cancelled more than a certain number of days ahead (I think it may have been 5). Had I known that info was for packages rather than my RO reservation, I might have moved my previous reservation to a different date. I hope they don't start charging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter