Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s especially not fair if you booked this trip before the new policy became effective.

I think making split stays discontinuous is terrible. That said, WDW claims this has always been the policy, but it's simply now enforced. And given that the ADR system was always discontinuous for split stays, I'm inclined to agree with WDW that it was always a loophole that split stays allowed booking FP the entire stay.

But again, I think it's an awful policy.

I agree! It’s not fair at all. It’s especially not fair if you booked this trip before the new policy became effective.

Yea. In our case the policy changed just days before FastPass day. By then our days were pretty fixed with adrs and other events like EMM and dessert party. Too late to change plans around to make up for the reduced fp advantage.

I think making split stays discontinuous is terrible. That said, WDW claims this has always been the policy, but it's simply now enforced. And given that the ADR system was always discontinuous for split stays, I'm inclined to agree with WDW that it was always a loophole that split stays allowed booking FP the entire stay.

But again, I think it's an awful policy.

I do think this is true. I think that the continuous window for fp, the rolling window for onsite to offsite stays and being able to book fp for dates falling before your stay once the window opens were all quirks of the it system.

It is exactly because of situations like yours that Disney has changed the system. The 60 day FP+ window is for people staying ON PROPERTY. If you are not on property those days, then you shouldn't be able to FP+ on those days at 60 days in advance. Technically that has always been the rule. Disney just hasn't enforced it until now. I completely understand your comment on cost. I am finding Disney to be more and more unattainable cost wise. We usually stay at a moderate and this time around we are staying at a value to cut down on the costs. I'm okay with it because I think POP is more fun for the kids than Port Orleans(our preferred moderate), but technically we are still downgrading to keep the costs reasonable. That being said, If I am paying a premium to stay on property for the week at a disneyworld resort, then my family should have that perk for the 7 days but the family that has a 1 night stay and a 6 night off site stay should not.

Here's a little more info on our issue. My husband has a spinal cord injury so he is wheelchair bound. He cannot transfer. We are a family of 5. Disney offers very few handicap accessible value rooms that are affordable that accommodate a family of 5. The cheapest option I have is $236 a night. In fact, at the All Stars we have to purchase two rooms and sleep separately since I'm not ok with letting my little kids sleep in a room by themselves. I know that a family of 5 with a disabled parent is not the norm at Disney, but it has effectively priced us out from being able to stay on property. We want those 60 day out FPs, but it's just not something we can swing so that's why we went with a one-night stay at the campground only to find out that loophole is closed now. And we had no plans to cancel the reservation.

Here's a little more info on our issue. My husband has a spinal cord injury so he is wheelchair bound. He cannot transfer. We are a family of 5. Disney offers very few handicap accessible value rooms that are affordable that accommodate a family of 5. The cheapest option I have is $236 a night. In fact, at the All Stars we have to purchase two rooms and sleep separately since I'm not ok with letting my little kids sleep in a room by themselves. I know that a family of 5 with a disabled parent is not the norm at Disney, but it has effectively priced us out from being able to stay on property. We want those 60 day out FPs, but it's just not something we can swing so that's why we went with a one-night stay at the campground only to find out that loophole is closed now. And we had no plans to cancel the reservation.
How about Art of Animation? They have family suites that may work.

Like I said before, I feel your pain with regards to the price of Disney but your comment about not being able to afford to stay but still wanting those 60 day FPs I don't feel your pain. if your not on property then you shouldn't have them. Period. just consider yourself lucky that you were able to take advantage of a loophole in the past because you shouldn't have had them those times either. Also, we need to think about everyone not just ourselves. Your complaining about not getting 60 FP for your NEXT Disney vacation while there are families that save for years to take theirs kids once in a lifetime and then cant get a FP so their kids can ride their favourite ride because of people that have circumvented the system to get them when they didnt have a right to them.

How about Art of Animation? They have family suites that may work.
I think that if she is priced out of music then she will definitely be priced out of AoA. I still don't know how that is a value result. it is priced more like a moderate in my opinion. I remember when we went last time. we were debating between PO French quarter and AoA. the price was negligible.

I think that if she is priced out of music then she will definitely be priced out of AoA. I still don't know how that is a value result. it is priced more like a moderate in my opinion. I remember when we went last time. we were debating between PO French quarter and AoA. the price was negligible.
The difference is you can put more people in a suite than at POFQ, which means instead of two rooms, might need one.

Like I said before, I feel your pain with regards to the price of Disney but your comment about not being able to afford to stay but still wanting those 60 day FPs I don't feel your pain. if your not on property then you shouldn't have them. Period. just consider yourself lucky that you were able to take advantage of a loophole in the past because you shouldn't have had them those times either. Also, we need to think about everyone not just ourselves. Your complaining about not getting 60 FP for your NEXT Disney vacation while there are families that save for years to take theirs kids once in a lifetime and then cant get a FP so their kids can ride their favourite ride because of people that have circumvented the system to get them when they didnt have a right to them.
Both are examples of why I think we need to go back to day of FPs only.

1. Has anyone actually had their FPP cancelled when they cancelled their onsite reservation and no longer had an onsite reservation?
2.@angitn @runwad I noticed that you both cancelled reservations, or part of a reservation, but still have a reservation onsite for a later date. You last reported that your FPP had not been cancelled for the dates you no longer had a current onsite reservation. Is that still the case?
3. There is mention of the "60 day rolliing FPP" being closed. Does that mean that you can no long book FPP at 60 days prior for your entire length of stay?

1. Has anyone actually had their FPP cancelled when they cancelled their onsite reservation and no longer had an onsite reservation?
2.@angitn @runwad I noticed that you both cancelled reservations, or part of a reservation, but still have a reservation onsite for a later date. You last reported that your FPP had not been cancelled for the dates you no longer had a current onsite reservation. Is that still the case?
3. There is mention of the "60 day rolliing FPP" being closed. Does that mean that you can no long book FPP at 60 days prior for your entire length of stay?
You can still book for your entire length of stay, as long as it's continuous and not a split stay. What you can no longer do is book days that are after your length of stay, one day at a time (rolling), like you used to be able to do.

1. Not sure. I have not seen a single report of one. You'd think somewhere this would come up if it had happened.
2. No, the FP that I booked for the canceled dates are still there. Well, the ones I didn't cancel. I canceled the ones that mattered but as a test I left some insignificant FP that I'd booked just because I have to book 3 (like Mermaid at HS)
3. It means that if you have 2 back to back stays (commonly called a split stay) you can no longer book the FP for both stays when the window opens for the first stay. You have to wait till the 60 day window opens for the check in day for each stay. You can book FP for the entire length of each stay.
Example.
1st stay, 2 nights, 2nd stay, 5 nights and you are going to parks for 8 days, counting both arrival day and departure day.
You can't book 8 days of FP when the window opens for 1st stay, you can only book a max of 3 days of FP (arrival day and check out day can both be booked in each stay, until you exhaust your tickets)

Here's what I have gathered from the enforcement of new rules.
1. Limitations have been placed on booking FP's.
a. All days between a reservation at 60 days and today are not open for booking FP's. Just 0-30 + days you have a reservation.
b. The rolling 60 no longer exists. If a window opened at 60 days because of a reservation, this window is no longer extended by 1 day as each day passes.
c. Split reservations are now viewed as individual reservations and the 60 day window opens separately, not for the entire "stay" at the start of the first reservation.
d. The umbrella for friends and family not on the reservation no longer works. (Not sure on this one, maybe you can book the FP, but not modify it)
2. No one has had a FP cancelled once it has been booked.
a. Leading reservations no longer extend your window, but extended overlapping reservations work for both split stays (if the overlapping reservation is the same duration as the split stay) or leading reservations (if the overlapping reservation starts earlier). You can book the FP's and no one has had any cancelled yet, even though Disney has said they will. With these, a guest actually has a resort stay for the days of the FP's, but they booked them earlier than available without the extra reservation. So based on an interpretations of the new rule, you might still be OK, because you have a reservation for the days of the FP's. Another interpretation is that those FP's were made earlier than your current reservations would have allowed, so they are improper and could be cancelled. If Disney does decide to enforce this, we do not know which interpretation they will use.
b. FP's booked based on a reservations that is subsequently cancelled have not been cancelled. If a resort reservation is made, FP's are booked at 60 days, and that resort stay is cancelled leaving no resort stay on property, those FP's have not been cancelled to date. Whether the cancellation occurred from day 60 to day 30, or if it occurred inside of 30 days. Based on the stated rule, these FP's could be cancelled unless a replacement reservation on property is made within 48 hours. However, several tests show the FP's are not getting cancelled.

In summary, the rules have made it "more difficult" to book FP's, but once booked, they have not been cancelled.

@DaveNan Not sure I understand 1.a. Can you clarify?
re: 1d. Let's say I have a friend or family on MDE and we are linked. Her family arrives two days before my family arrives. She can't make fast passes for my family? (I never even knew this was a thing!) And how about dining reservations? If she's a family of four and we are a family of four, can she make a reservation for 8 people to include us even if our window hasn't opened yet? ( I have successfully done this before.)

re: 1d. Let's say I have a friend or family on MDE and we are linked. Her family arrives two days before my family arrives. She can't make fast passes for my family? (I never even knew this was a thing!) And how about dining reservations? If she's a family of four and we are a family of four, can she make a reservation for 8 people to include us even if our window hasn't opened yet? ( I have successfully done this before.)

She can definitely make dining reservations for the eight of you. For most meals, you don't even have to specify who is going and can just list Guest 1, Guest 2, etc after listing herself as the person in charge of the adr.

She can make FPs for you that include at least one member of her room in the FP party. She cannot make FPs for you without including a member of the party whose window is currently open.

1a.
Let's assume I have a reservation for May 16-20 and I have at a ticket on my MDE.
Yesterday, was 61 days out. I could have made FP's from 3/16 to 4/15.
This morning I hit the 60 window. Before the changes, I could have made FP's from 3/17 all the way till 5/20. I would be limited by the number of days I have tickets for, or by the annual pass limits. With the new system, I will only have 3/17-4/16 and 5/16-5/20 available to book FP's.

Here's what I have gathered from the enforcement of new rules.
1. Limitations have been placed on booking FP's.
a. All days between a reservation at 60 days and today are not open for booking FP's. Just 0-30 + days you have a reservation.
b. The rolling 60 no longer exists. If a window opened at 60 days because of a reservation, this window is no longer extended by 1 day as each day passes.
c. Split reservations are now viewed as individual reservations and the 60 day window opens separately, not for the entire "stay" at the start of the first reservation.
d. The umbrella for friends and family not on the reservation no longer works. (Not sure on this one, maybe you can book the FP, but not modify it)
1 d still works

Wow, I am amazed that this thread is still open. It has basically turned into a how to manual for doing things that I thought the DIS was against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter