Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's kinda rare for us to plan 60 days out ourselves. 1 out of 4 trips I'd guess
I'm actually amazed y'all could decipher the post enough to even get this much out of it.
The only part I got was the last sentence about booking 1 day at a time.
Honestly, I'd be down with that myself. As long as it was even for all, so be it. I mean, I would not like getting up to do it one day at a time but I'd manage. 5 out of 7 days I'm up at that hour anyway. If everyone was doing 1 day at a time then I think it would be more fair and everyone would stand a better chance to get the hard to get FP. But I'm not sure about all the ins and outs. Would that put more of a strain on their systems? Goodness knows we don't want that :badpc:
I read it and DIDN’T get that out of it lol:rotfl2:. Now going back and rereading, I see it must be the 60 days in advance period part, I completely missed that on my reading.

I still can’t get over how upset some people are over some of the discussion. Don’t read it and don’t do it if you don’t want to. Easy peasy, done. Let the mods deal with everyone else.

I also can’t figure out why I care and comment, since i’ve never used a throwaway reservation , leading reservation, overriding reservation or whatever we’re calling it now, or anything. Heck, I didn’t know about most of them and I’m too lazy to figure some of them out and hear about them when you can’t do it any more. My DH just rolls his eyes when I use terms like this or yell at the radio when the podcast team gets it wrong when they discuss it.

This is an odd statement. Of my last 20 visits, only 2 were known at 70 days out. Sometimes the decision is made mere hours before getting on the plane. I know I’m not alone in last minute trips.

I assumed most planning trips on site would try to book at least 60 days in advance to take advantage of the early fast passes. We always book way in advance. The least was 5 months, the most over a year...

I read it and DIDN’T get that out of it lol:rotfl2:. Now going back and rereading, I see it must be the 60 days in advance period part, I completely missed that on my reading.

I still can’t get over how upset some people are over some of the discussion. Don’t read it and don’t do it if you don’t want to. Easy peasy, done. Let the mods deal with everyone else.

I also can’t figure out why I care and comment, since i’ve never used a throwaway reservation , leading reservation, overriding reservation or whatever we’re calling it now, or anything. Heck, I didn’t know about most of them and I’m too lazy to figure some of them out and hear about them when you can’t do it any more. My DH just rolls his eyes when I use terms like this or yell at the radio when the podcast team gets it wrong when they discuss it.
The only thing I do often is the split stays and am forever changing reservations so am following to determine if they do connect FP to specific stays in any way since it's not abnormal for me to book 1 night at A resort, 2 nights at B resort than go in and change my mind and book 3 nights at C resort instead, using the Change Reservation feature along the way, and canceling B reservation. If they tie FP to specific reservations then yeah, it could matter to me. But so far, it wouldn't and it shouldn't since my #of days and # of FP never changes. But ya can guess how far I trust MDE to get things right

I assumed most planning trips on site would try to book at least 60 days in advance to take advantage of the early fast passes. We always book way in advance. The least was 5 months, the most over a year...
Assuming things is never a good idea when it comes to planing trips to Disney.....
There's no such thing as a usual

Honestly I’ve never really felt it necessary to book fastpasses further ahead than the night before, it’s always worked out great.

My DH just rolls his eyes when I use terms like this or yell at the radio when the podcast team gets it wrong when they discuss it.
:offtopic: for this thread but I have to actively stop myself from using DIS (or in some cases internet forum in general) jargon.

One time I texted my husband talking about going to Disneyland when he's on his assignment near LA and I said DLR and my husband was like o_O and I was oops forgot who I was talking to :P and explained it meant Disneyland Resort. But sometimes my husband surprises me and he'll make comments if we're watching the podcast together about such and such not being accurate :laughing:

We typically book in advance for most of our trips on vacation in general (not just talking about Disney) but I do understand and know that not everyone does that.

If we're talking strictly about staying on-site:
  • 60day FP is a perk of on-site arguably one of the main perks but that doesn't mean everyone feels the need to utilize it.
  • I count 60days and EMH as big reasons why I would stay on-site whereas other things aren't as important to me. To other people they actively avoid using EMH and also sometimes avoid specific parks that have EMH that day.
  • Also some people do resort only trips meaning they don't go into the parks at all. In that case 60day FP isn't important at all to them
  • I know an AP holder who's advanced planning for his trips varies depending on each trip. Some trips are booked many months in advanced, some trips a few months in advanced and some are weeks in advance. For instance very end of July last year he booked a trip starting 40 days later (there's been multiple trips since then too).
Now sure when you say 'most' maybe that's true but honestly I just don't know. What I do know is that some people do, some people don't, some people value 60 day FP, some people don't, some people it depends on each and every trip, some people plan for years booking over the phone on the 499th day they can, some people see amazing airfare or a great discount and can't pass it up and bam now they go, etc, etc.

We typically book in advance for most of our trips on vacation in general (not just talking about Disney) but I do understand and know that not everyone does that.

If we're talking strictly about staying on-site:
  • 60day FP is a perk of on-site arguably one of the main perks but that doesn't mean everyone feels the need to utilize it.
  • I count 60days and EMH as big reasons why I would stay on-site whereas other things aren't as important to me. To other people they actively avoid using EMH and also sometimes avoid specific parks that have EMH that day.
  • Also some people do resort only trips meaning they don't go into the parks at all. In that case 60day FP isn't important at all to them
  • I know an AP holder who's advanced planning for his trips varies depending on each trip. Some trips are booked many months in advanced, some trips a few months in advanced and some are weeks in advance. For instance very end of July last year he booked a trip starting 40 days later (there's been multiple trips since then too).
Now sure when you say 'most' maybe that's true but honestly I just don't know. What I do know is that some people do, some people don't, some people value 60 day FP, some people don't, some people it depends on each and every trip, some people plan for years booking over the phone on the 499th day they can, some people see amazing airfare or a great discount and can't pass it up and bam now they go, etc, etc.

In my experience with normal, non-habitual Disney goers, transportation is a huge factor of staying onsite. People fly and dont want to rent a car. At least half the people I know who have gone to Disney(without the help of a TA) dont even know about fastpasses. We are all in this "in the know" Disney bubble. The masses are not nearly so informed. In my moms groups I see people post about last minute trips All. The. Time. Their minds are blown when they cant book character meals or BBB cuz they're all booked up...and the only reason they know about those is the commercials.

Not only are they not hitting up the FP hacks, many arent even making fp at all much less 60 days out. I think there is a huge subset of resort guests that not only didnt book onsite for that perk, they dont even utilize it.

The only thing I do often is the split stays and am forever changing reservations so am following to determine if they do connect FP to specific stays in any way since it's not abnormal for me to book 1 night at A resort, 2 nights at B resort than go in and change my mind and book 3 nights at C resort instead, using the Change Reservation feature along the way, and canceling B reservation. If they tie FP to specific reservations then yeah, it could matter to me. But so far, it wouldn't and it shouldn't since my #of days and # of FP never changes. But ya can guess how far I trust MDE to get things right
Oh you’re right, I completely forgot! I do have a split stay coming up so I was following to see how that pans out- I got sidetracked lately with all of the other discussion and the paid FP possibility! Initially I was just following this peripherally, out of curiosity, and then that little gem of a side issue was noted and suddenly I was interested!
I am pretty annoyed with the split stay change, but this time we’re going to do the CL FPs so it won’t matter. This will make me much less likely to book a split stay In the future if they don’t end up letting you book FPs for both stays at the initial 60 day mark again. While we usually book later than 180 days we don’t usually book less than 60, so I do like to make sure I book FPs and partucarly the hard to get ones. It’s easier to drop them if we change plans than to try to get them later. I think it’s a mental thing- even if I don’t really care or need to have one of the hard to get ones like FOP I want to book it because I can- and what if I decide I want it later :sad2:

:offtopic: for this thread but I have to actively stop myself from using DIS (or in some cases internet forum in general) jargon.

One time I texted my husband talking about going to Disneyland when he's on his assignment near LA and I said DLR and my husband was like o_O and I was oops forgot who I was talking to :P and explained it meant Disneyland Resort. But sometimes my husband surprises me and he'll make comments if we're watching the podcast together about such and such not being accurate :laughing:
Yeah, I have to watch it when I talk to him since he doesn’t so much get amused as annoyed when I start using abbreviations and assuming he knows things that I read about on here and he has no clue about. He thinks it’s a waste of time to spend this much time reading about Disney, and I don’t think he realizes how miserable our trips could be if I didn’t know what I know. Or if not miserable what we would or could miss out on. He’s all about paying for convenience or to avoid crowds/chaos, but he would never book the things like EMM, DAH, dessert parties, CL FPs, etc, because he wouldn’t know about them, but he loves them when we do them and thinks they are worth it. I do admit I may be a tad obsessed, though :D

Where? What is it showing how to do that is against any rules or the TOS?
It's discussed mostly split stays and how they are or are not being impacted
Pretty sure what I said was "things that I thought the DIS was against," which has nothing to do with official Disney rules, or the TOS. As for why I thought the DIS was against such things, I will point out the history of shutting down prior threads that delved into the things that have been discussed here.

Yea and im amazed at how many people actually do this. Personally, i dont buy into all this, im not sure when i can actually go so i book mutiple stays and then cancel after they get their fp selections. Your literally spending $1000's on this vacation and lots of planning, so yea u know the exact dates your goin. Even if u didnt know a year out, u def know with a few months and could cancel but to say i dont know my exact dates 70 days before ur vacation is bs. People are literally getn mad and defensive when someone mentions that dis is stopping this from happening. I hope they close it down completely and make it so u can only do fp 60 in advance periord, so that u have to get on mde every day at the 60 day mark and do fp. Make it fair across the board for everyone.

My wife works for a large company. She puts in for her vacation months in advance, but doesn't get actual approval until 3 weeks out, so last minute changes are not unheard of for us. I am quite confident that the situation is similar for many others who work for big companies.

Pretty sure what I said was "things that I thought the DIS was against," which has nothing to do with official Disney rules, or the TOS. As for why I thought the DIS was against such things, I will point out the history of shutting down prior threads that delved into the things that have been discussed here.
I thought Dis was only against things that are against the rules and/or TOS, no?
Well, at least when it comes to policy discussions such as this.

I thought Dis was only against things that are against the rules and/or TOS, no?
Well, at least when it comes to policy discussions such as this.
Again, I will simply point out the long history of shutting down threads which delved into some of the things that have been discussed here, as I feel that is more than adequate to back up my point.

Oh, thanks! That still means nothing to me :confused3 , I'm assuming it's essentially the same as against the rules. I guess I haven't run across that term before in my life, feeling kind of dumb now :sad2:
Yes its essentially the same. When you sign up or pay for something there are usually terms of service (the long list that nobody really every reads).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!