"Disney through the Years" January Exercise Challenge

Good morning, everyone, and thanks for the updates. - The team is now up to 61%, with a team average of 331 minutes/day! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I got in 20 minutes yesterday myself, for 265/465.

:rainbow: We have one color-change today: Congratulations :figment:kathleen27:figment:!!

1960 brought a whole list of releases:

Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with the Circus
Kidnapped
Pollyanna
The Sign of Zorro
Jungle Cat
Ten Who Dared
Swiss Family Robinson

(I'll try to pop back in later with some links or trivia or something.)

Have a great day!!!!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!!

15 minutes for myself (280/495), team totals of 7,665 (or 61%) and a new color change! Congrats to:

:ccat:Saphire5742:ccat:!!

1961 was another big year for releases:

One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Absent-Minded Professor
The Parent Trap
Nikki, Wild Dog of the North
Greyfriars Bobby
Babes in Toyland

Here is a great clip of how they filmed The Parent Trap:

And here is a neat link for One Hundred and One Dalmatians:

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/movies/One-Hundred-and-One-Dalmatians/

The site is really about voice actors, but it also lists out many of the puppies' names, if you're curious.

Interestingly, there was also a run of remakes from the '61 list in the '90s:

101 Dalmatians, as a live-action film in 1996,
The Absent-Minded Professor, as Flubber in 1997, and
The Parent Trap in 1998, again using a split-screen technique to allow one actress to play both twins.

Happy Thursday, all!

20 minutes from yesterday for me...walking outside - yeah!! - for 300/465.

No new color changes, but team totals are up to 62%,

and 1962 brought us:
Moon Pilot
Bon Voyage!
Big Red
Almost Angels
The Legend of Lobo,
and
In Search of the Castaways.

I actually don't think I've seen any of the films on today's list!
Please chime in if one of these is a favorite of yours, and recommend it to the rest of us!

20 minutes for me yesterday, for 320/465.

No new color changes today.

For 1963, we have:
Son of Flubber
Miracle of the White Stallions
Savage Sam
Summer Magic (another Haley Mills film)
The Incredible Journey,
and
The Sword in the Stone.

I love The Incredible Journey and The Sword in the Stone, so here are some interesting facts about one:

(The pink bits are my comments, the rest came from Wikipedia.)

The Incredible Journey is a 1963 live-action Walt Disney film based on the novel The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford. (Also read and still own that!) Narrated by Rex Allen, the film follows the adventure of three pets, Luath the Labrador Retriever, Bodger the Bull Terrier, and Tao the Siamese cat (Syn), as they journey 250 miles through the Canadian wilderness to return to their home.

Syn Cat was also in the title role of the Disney film That Darn Cat! (1965).

The film was mostly well received for the nature scenes as well as for Rex Allen's narration, (I agree - great, calming voice!) however, the human scenes, including the climatic ending got mixed to negative reviews, stating that the human scenes had interrupted the mood of the film.

(I didn’t think so.)

…In 1993, Disney made a new version of the film, entitled Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. Featuring the voices of Don Ameche, Sally Field, and Michael J. Fox, the film keeps the same basic story line, but adds a subplot in which the kids are dealing with a new step-family. All three pets are renamed, the breeds of the dogs are changed, the sex and breed of the cat changed, and the ages of the original Labrador/Golden Retriever and Bull Terrier/American Bull Dog are switched. It also has vocalizations of the animals' thoughts and communications with each other.
(Which is kind of fun, so while I love the original, I love this one too!)

and a clip of the other:

(in which Merlin turns young Arthur into animals to teach him life lessons)

The month is winding down, and it's easy to slack off on exercise, so keep trying, and report those minutes!!

Also, if anyone is interested in hosting February, please chime in!!!

Hello, all! I will have lots of minutes to update once I return home. We've just been way too busy having fun. Can't stop to add it all up yet, but I will have plenty of time on the 12 hour drive home. Yuck! As for now, heading to Animal Kingdom. Hello, Everest!!!!!!!

Happy Saturday!!

25 minutes for me yesterday, and just 10 today, but :bounce:sophy1996:bounce: has made it to green!!!! :rainbow:

releases:

The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
A Tiger Walks
The Three Lives of Thomasina
The Moon-Spinners

Emil and the Detectives, and
Mary Poppins:

Here's a link to 50 pieces of Mary Poppins trivia:

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2014/08/27/50-practically-perfect-mary-poppins-facts/

(If you're short on time, skip around to these ten: 9, 17, 24, 26, 29, 31, 38, 39, 42, 50.)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Unless I forgot a day (I'll check when I get home), my remaining Disney walking minutes are 1530.

3555/2000

And I could probably stand to have walked twice that amount after all the yummy food we ate! Back to real life now . . .

Last edited:
LOVED all the Mary Poppins trivia!!!!! So much interesting info there. How fortunate that Walt was so persistent and determined to make this film. Never knew it was based on books or that we owe Disney World to its enormous success. And am I ever glad the lovable songs remained despite the author's objections. Really need to rewatch it and maybe even try to get my hands on the books

:sunny: Greetings on this sunny Sunday morning! :sunny:

Thanks to everyone's efforts so far, and all those Disney walking minutes Twilight Sparkle added at once, we have just crossed over to :cheer2:team pink:cheer2:!!

I ( :PinkbouncPollannaMom ) also hit pink yesterday and forgot to post it.

Team totals stand at 9,550 minutes. We're almost to 10,000 - yeah!!!

In 1965, Walt released Those Calloways, The Monkey’s Uncle, and That Darn Cat!

aaaaand started buying some land in Florida:

http://www.wdwradio.com/2005/02/wdw-history-101-how-to-buy-27000-acres-of-land-and-no-one-noticeq/

LOVED all the Mary Poppins trivia!!!!! So much interesting info there. How fortunate that Walt was so persistent and determined to make this film. Never knew it was based on books or that we owe Disney World to its enormous success. And am I ever glad the lovable songs remained despite the author's objections. Really need to re-watch it and maybe even try to get my hands on the books

I agree. Thanks for giving us the Mary Poppins trivia page, PollyannaMom. Travers sounds like she was tough to work with. I'm guessing Walt stayed out of meetings on purpose! : ) Saphire5742, we have all four books. I read them to my daughter when she was very young. They are worth reading, but the literary Mary Poppins is rather rough around the edges compared to the Julie Andrews version. It's interesting to compare the original with the Disney version. As for a Mary Poppins attraction, I really wish WDW would add one! It would be a nice addition to Fantasyland or even the Epcot UK pavilion if done in a way that didn't detract from the overall feel of the existing pavilion. For example, yes, the Frozen ride has made the Norway pavilion insanely crowded, but at least it's tucked in the back and doesn't overwhelm the quaintness of the other structures. The carousel horse idea or even floating umbrellas taking us through a condensed version of the story line, reminiscent of the Peter Pan ride in Fantasyland, would be great.

We're up to 1959, with [SIZE=4][I]Sleeping Beauty, The Shaggy Dog, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, [/I][SIZE=3]and[/SIZE] [I]Third Man on the Mountain[/I][/SIZE].

[COLOR=#5900b3]According to “The Disney Wiki” ([/COLOR][URL='http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Sleeping_Beauty'][COLOR=#0080ff]http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Sleeping_Beauty[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#5900b3]) [I]Sleeping Beauty[/I] was:
- the last cel-animated feature from Disney to be inked by hand before the xerography process took over.
- the first animated feature to be shot in Super Technirama 70.
- originally a box-office failure.

The character of Aurora's mother the queen has no name credited to her in the film.

The cookies the fairies eat with tea are shaped like Mickey Mouse's head and ears.

[I]Sleeping Beauty[/I] was made whilst Walt Disney was building Disneyland (hence the four year production time). To help promote the film, Imagineers declared the castle there to be Sleeping Beauty's (it was originally to be Snow White's).

[I]Sleeping Beauty[/I] is the only Disney movie with square trees.

After [I]Sleeping Beauty[/I], Disney focused more on live-action films for two years (there were [U]ten[/U] before Disney released another animated feature -[I] 101 Dalmatians[/I].)

Barbara Luddy, who is the voice of Merryweather, had lent her voice to Lady in the earlier Disney movie [I]Lady and the Tramp[/I]. After [I]Sleeping Beauty[/I], she also did the voices of Mother Rabbit in [I]Robin Hood[/I] and Kanga in [I]The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh[/I].

Verna Felton (Flora) previously lent her voice to the Elephant Matriarch and Mrs. Jumbo in [I]Dumbo[/I], the Fairy Godmother in [I]Cinderella[/I], the Queen of Hearts in [I]Alice in Wonderland[/I] and Aunt Sarah in [I]Lady and the Tramp[/I]. After [I]Sleeping Beauty[/I], her last film for Disney was providing the voice for Winifred in [I]The Jungle Book[/I].

The film was referenced in Dan Brown's [I]The Da Vinci Code[/I] as an allegory of the Grail quest.

The music to the song “[I]Once Upon a Dream”[/I] is from the Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky ballet [I]Sleeping Beauty[/I], as is almost all the rest of the music in the film. The music to the song was also used in recent commercials for Sargento Cheese as well as a couple of Fred Quimby era [I]Tom & Jerry [/I]cartoons.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]

Have a great week, everyone, and keep exercising!![/COLOR]

Love this info! Now I have to watch Sleeping Beauty again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!