DISNEY TESTING GUEST RELATIONS AT TTC THRU JUNE 2, 2018

That it is being tested there is old news; mention of DAS is new.
This story is the first I have seen that mentions DAS being addressed there.
The other articles said it would handle various needs including resort issues, ticket concerns, issues with My Disney Experience, etc.
I did a search just now and found only 2 other stories that mention DAS. It’s not clear if DAS will actually be handled there or that the writer just assumed it would since it is Guest Relations. The other 2 stories I saw went on to mention there is Guest Relations at each park, the water parks and Disney Springs, without mentioning the water parks and Disney Springs do not issue DAS.
So, unless someone actually reports that they received DAS there, I would assume DAS is probably not issued there.

It would be a convenient location for guests staying at one of the monorail resorts since they could just take the monorail there. I haven’t stayed at one of those resorts since the changes to security screening took place, so I don’t know if they are screened before getting on the monorail at their resort (which was the original plan) or screened when they get off at MK.
Guests at Polynesian could walk to TTC.

Not as easy for other guests - those staying at other WDW resorts could take WDW buses from their resort to MK (boats from Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness) then take the ferry or monorail to the TTC. They would follow the reverse to get back to their resort. That would require going thru security multiple times - guests on the buses and those boats go thru security as they leave the boat/bus.
We also have not parked at TTC for a long time, so I don’t know if they are security screened when entering the TTC area before getting on boats/monorail or when arriving at the park.

WDW did have a satellite Guest Relations station specifically for DAS at Animal
Kingdom this year during Spring Break. AK’s Guest Relations is not very big and during the times we passed by it during March/April at various times of day, we never saw less than 10 people in line outside. I can see why they opened a place just to get DAS.

I'm hopeful that they see the need to issue DAS for length-of-stay *outside* the Parks - image how great it would be to be able to arrive the day before your first Parks day, and head to an outside location like TTC to accomplish that task before you go to the Parks! I imagine it would prove helpful to all of the GR locations in general - as you said, AK's GR is so tiny (I was shocked the first time we went in there!) and even half a dozen travel parties seeking a DAS at any of the GR locations could cause a traffic jam.

I wonder if the idea for this test (if DAS is happening at the TTC test site) is for non-Resort/off-site Guests? Makes TTC kind of "one-stop shopping"; get your DAS, then head out to the Park of your choice from a central hub... I only hope that they don't intend to then centralize all non-Resort handicap parking; I feel like that would be a huge mistake, but one easily made by someone who never needs to use it (who sits all day in a planning office somewhere) I know that ADA requires that they have a certain number of HA parking spots at each facility, however we also know that Disney is always seeking to gain efficiencies wherever and whenever they can...

I'm curious to know if this test site has been used by Guests at all, regardless of DAS. I'm hopeful that they have finally seen light, and will make DAS available outside the Parks at (at least) one location.

I wonder if the idea for this test (if DAS is happening at the TTC test site) is for non-Resort/off-site Guests? Makes TTC kind of "one-stop shopping"; get your DAS, then head out to the Park of your choice from a central hub... I only hope that they don't intend to then centralize all non-Resort handicap parking; I feel like that would be a huge mistake,
It would not make any sense for them to centralize all non-resort handicapped parking to TTC.
The MK parking lot already fills to capacity during the busiest times, so it doesn’t make any sense to add people parking there who are not intending to go to MK.
Doing that would also put extra pressure on the transportation options that are present at TTC. Those are really meant for guests who are planning to visit MK, but also hop to another park.

Centralizing handicapped parking to one area would also put WDW out of compliance with ADA for parking. It would not be equal treatment because it would add an extra step and extra travel time for guests with disabilities and prevent them from parking at their choice of parks as other guests can.

I doubt that many people (if any) outside of the monorail resorts and guests parking at MK parking lot to go to MK would use Guest Relations at TTC. It’s just too much of a hassle to get to TTC.

Maybe I am just type A, but if this remained open for the future I could see us going out of our way to obtain our DAS (and stroller as a wheelchair tag?) at this location on day of arrival. Just to get it out of the way. Even though it wouldn't really save a trip to GR in the park for us because we will need to request a captioning device daily. Much rather address the DAS need without the (yes, self induced) time pressure of trying to rope drop a ride right after.

It would not make any sense for them to centralize all non-resort handicapped parking to TTC.
The MK parking lot already fills to capacity during the busiest times, so it doesn’t make any sense to add people parking there who are not intending to go to MK.
Doing that would also put extra pressure on the transportation options that are present at TTC. Those are really meant for guests who are planning to visit MK, but also hop to another park.

Centralizing handicapped parking to one area would also put WDW out of compliance with ADA for parking. It would not be equal treatment because it would add an extra step and extra travel time for guests with disabilities and prevent them from parking at their choice of parks as other guests can.

I doubt that many people (if any) outside of the monorail resorts and guests parking at MK parking lot to go to MK would use Guest Relations at TTC. It’s just too much of a hassle to get to TTC.

I agree - it wouldn't make any sense to try and move all the parking over there (not to mention the ADA implications).

But neither has some of the other stuff they have done in the last few years... and it increasingly seems like we see decisions being made by people who are never (or rarely) actually in the Parks.

Although we don't currently use DAS, if there was a full-time location outside the Parks, where we could get one the afternoon/evening we arrive, I would make the trip, every time.

That it is being tested there is old news; mention of DAS is new.
This story is the first I have seen that mentions DAS being addressed there.
The other articles said it would handle various needs including resort issues, ticket concerns, issues with My Disney Experience, etc.
I did a search just now and found only 2 other stories that mention DAS. It’s not clear if DAS will actually be handled there or that the writer just assumed it would since it is Guest Relations. The other 2 stories I saw went on to mention there is Guest Relations at each park, the water parks and Disney Springs, without mentioning the water parks and Disney Springs do not issue DAS.
So, unless someone actually reports that they received DAS there, I would assume DAS is probably not issued there.

It would be a convenient location for guests staying at one of the monorail resorts since they could just take the monorail there. I haven’t stayed at one of those resorts since the changes to security screening took place, so I don’t know if they are screened before getting on the monorail at their resort (which was the original plan) or screened when they get off at MK.
Guests at Polynesian could walk to TTC.

Not as easy for other guests - those staying at other WDW resorts could take WDW buses from their resort to MK (boats from Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness) then take the ferry or monorail to the TTC. They would follow the reverse to get back to their resort. That would require going thru security multiple times - guests on the buses and those boats go thru security as they leave the boat/bus.
We also have not parked at TTC for a long time, so I don’t know if they are security screened when entering the TTC area before getting on boats/monorail or when arriving at the park.

WDW did have a satellite Guest Relations station specifically for DAS at Animal
Kingdom this year during Spring Break. AK’s Guest Relations is not very big and during the times we passed by it during March/April at various times of day, we never saw less than 10 people in line outside. I can see why they opened a place just to get DAS.

They were using the satellite location for DAS at AK over the Mother’s Day holiday too. I was not prepared for this and nearly had a full on meltdown since it was not what I had prepared for that morning. It might be something they’re doing more frequently, so it is something people may need to prepare for.

They were using the satellite location for DAS at AK over the Mother’s Day holiday too. I was not prepared for this and nearly had a full on meltdown since it was not what I had prepared for that morning. It might be something they’re doing more frequently, so it is something people may need to prepare for.
Sometimes at the MK early in the morning they will use the package pick up for the DAS or they were a year ago. I am with you the first time this happened I did have a meltdown

When you say satellite location, what do you mean? It was not at guest relations? We are heading down next week. Thanks

When you say satellite location, what do you mean? It was not at guest relations? We are heading down next week. Thanks
It was further into the park. AK is different than any of the other parks.
There are no attractions near the front of the park where guests enter and where Guest Relations is located. Guests need to walk thru a wooded path to get into the area with attractions.
Guests CAN still request DAS at the regular Guest Relations, but when the ‘extra’ guest relations is open, DAS can be requested there too. That would be a more convenient place if you are already further into the park.

I don’t know if it was just a trial at AK, but it seems to be open just during busy times.

It was further into the park. AK is different than any of the other parks.
There are no attractions near the front of the park where guests enter and where Guest Relations is located. Guests need to walk thru a wooded path to get into the area with attractions.
Guests CAN still request DAS at the regular Guest Relations, but when the ‘extra’ guest relations is open, DAS can be requested there too. That would be a more convenient place if you are already further into the park.

I don’t know if it was just a trial at AK, but it seems to be open just during busy times.

The CM in front of guest relations at AK actually told me I HAD to go to this satellite location to add my sister to my DAS. Guest relations was not particularly busy at this time either, so I don’t know if it was that particular CM on a power trip guarding the entrance or if that is policy when the satellite location is open.

The satellite location had a grand total of one CM with zero crowd control, so it was a chaotic experience trying to get that done since it was just under the rocky overhang at the end of the right path from the park entrance before you get to the bridge leading to the tree of life. If you can get the DAS addressed elsewhere, I’d definitely recommend it.

The CM in front of guest relations at AK actually told me I HAD to go to this satellite location to add my sister to my DAS. Guest relations was not particularly busy at this time either, so I don’t know if it was that particular CM on a power trip guarding the entrance or if that is policy when the satellite location is open.

The satellite location had a grand total of one CM with zero crowd control, so it was a chaotic experience trying to get that done since it was just under the rocky overhang at the end of the right path from the park entrance before you get to the bridge leading to the tree of life. If you can get the DAS addressed elsewhere, I’d definitely recommend it.
we did use Guest Relations at AK for something DAS related and found out about the satellite location later.

They use an iPad for issuing and making changes to DAS; it’s probable that when you went, the only ‘DAS iPad’ was at the satellite location.

Maybe this is old news to everyone else, but given that this is the first time we have seen DAS being handled *outside* the Parks, I think it's important!

More info here: Guest Relations testing TTC location

If you happen to use this, and find it meets your needs, please give the CMs positive feedback! :)
Actually, at Epcot's World Showcase Entrance Guest Relations is outside the park and they have been handling the DAS there, I know because I had mine renewed there the last time we went.

I agree, providing it as an additional option makes sense, centralizing it all there doesn't, not everyone goes to MK on their first day after all.

we did use Guest Relations at AK for something DAS related and found out about the satellite location later.

They use an iPad for issuing and making changes to DAS; it’s probable that when you went, the only ‘DAS iPad’ was at the satellite location.
If they only have one per park, they need to step this up. These should also be available at the FP kiosks in each of the parks and anywhere there is a Guest Relations location. At the Disneyland Resort, the first time you get the DAS has to be at guest relations, but you can renew it at any of the Guest Relations booths in either park, as well as make changes there. Of course those are where you go to get return times, the equivalent at Disney World would mean that every attraction would be able to renew and modify a DAS.

If they only have one per park, they need to step this up. These should also be available at the FP kiosks in each of the parks and anywhere there is a Guest Relations location. At the Disneyland Resort, the first time you get the DAS has to be at guest relations, but you can renew it at any of the Guest Relations booths in either park, as well as make changes there. Of course those are where you go to get return times, the equivalent at Disney World would mean that every attraction would be able to renew and modify a DAS.

Which would mean training very single CM who works attractions on the purpose of DAS and having to have a supervisor available to go to the attraction if there was a conflict. Not practical, IMO. And no need for it either. To keep DAS from becoming the new GAC, I think it needs to be monitored in a controlled atmosphere, like GR.

Which would mean training very single CM who works attractions on the purpose of DAS and having to have a supervisor available to go to the attraction if there was a conflict. Not practical, IMO. And no need for it either. To keep DAS from becoming the new GAC, I think it needs to be monitored in a controlled atmosphere, like GR.
Yes, I actually agree but the FP kiosks are manned by GR so they could easily be handled there as well and probably should be.

They probably have more than one iPad for DAS at a park, although they may not actually need more than one most of the time. There are a lot of reasons there might only be one functioning one batter you dead, broken, etc.

The couple of attractions that don’t stop the moving walkways have good reasons not to.
First, they are very old and were designed and built before the ADA (and before accessibility was really thought about in design). They are not ‘bad’ design, just were designed in a time when the emphasis was delivering a steady stream of guests on and off attractions.

CMs prefer to avoid doing a stop of moving walkways on other attractions if at all possible. Yes, it is a reasonable accommodation for the person requesting it. But, they have to balance that against the safety of other people already on the attraction. There have been situations on many of the constantly moving attractions where guests tried to (or did) get out when the attraction stopped. That is the biggest reason they prefer to slow rather than stop.
The CM in the area does have a portable stop button or is in view of the CM controlling the attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter