Disney still can’t supply upgraded magic bands

The Jackal

DIS Veteran
It has now been months and Disney cannot keep in stock magic bands to upgrade to. We were able to order one set for our upcoming trip, but we also have annual passes, so we want to order those and for a while now their selection has been poor ( like 1 or 2 )or when you select it. It says out of stock. I guess they are not as greedy as some people say they are. I want to give them money, but they don’t want to take it.

Last edited:
This looks like a great marketing idea but their execution is just a failure. They are missing out on $$$$$$$. I know we are not alone in giving up. We decide to purchase the puck holder for your watch band from another vender with our 10 bucks. Done with it!

A lot of posts in another forum are indicating some recent luck (today) ordering bands. I was also able to snag 3 out of 4 of our first choices today. However we'll have to wait and see if the ones I actually picked are the ones that show up.

I have been stalking the upgraded bands for the last few days as we are getting near our deadline to customize. Tonight I was able to grab a Toy Story Aliens band for DS. Surprisingly there were a number of other options available as well!

When they announced this, I said this was going to be huge money maker for them if they could keep up. Apparently they cannot. I don’t know why they just don’t order a ton of them and just have them on hand. Oh well. There were several times we could have ordered 3 bands, but they didn’t have anything the 4th wanted. We stalk the site several times a day. It’s worse then trying to stalk the DVC website to get a room.

Last edited:
Is white not a normal color they offer? I know it was on Shop Disney, but wasn't available through MDE. We got the Haunted Mansion and pride bands yesterday but couldn't get plain white.

The other problem with this all or nothing system- DH and I wanted upgraded bands, but my sister didn't want to tell the niblings they're going to Disney/US. Disney loses that $40, because we're getting ours now and slapping a sticker on for the kids.

I mean its not my problem, or future Etsy seller's problem, but I can see why Disney would call it a problem.

Is white not a normal color they offer? I know it was on Shop Disney, but wasn't available through MDE. We got the Haunted Mansion and pride bands yesterday but couldn't get plain white.

The other problem with this all or nothing system- DH and I wanted upgraded bands, but my sister didn't want to tell the niblings they're going to Disney/US. Disney loses that $40, because we're getting ours now and slapping a sticker on for the kids.

I mean its not my problem, or future Etsy seller's problem, but I can see why Disney would call it a problem.
White, black, millennial pink, navy blue, dark green, light teal etc are not part of the standard "free" colors. The only "free" color that I can remember being added was purple in early 2016. The others can only be purchased separately. Disney did not include them in the MB upgrade process. I assume it is because they cost the same price as the regular "free" colors when purchased in a store so there is no upgrade fee. They would just all be free. Maybe if we're lucky one day?

I was just able to order two of the Happiest Place on Earth ones. Maybe not a popular option?

I have given up. I keep getting an error right at the very end. Been trying for MONTHS
I called yet again yesterday.... only to be told that the error message means the bands that I wanted are out of stock (that's the story they are told to say). Sorry nothing we can do about it. I pointed out that the solid bands never have a problem at all... even at roll out. Why do these ones? I'm willing to give Disney my money and they don't want to take it. It doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult. Most people are booking these bands far out from their vacations... why can't they just make to order so to speak, as people order them? Anyways, I talked with/at this cast member for almost a 1/2 an hour explaining that it seemed to be something wrong with my browser or the website or the system or ME, but sometimes it says right away to pick another band the one chosen is out of stock, but most times it lets me get all the way to purchase and then gives me an ERROR. It doesn't matter which band, I try them all, even ones I don't actually want. It doesn't seem right that I can try multiple times a day for MONTHS, every band offered is out of stock ALWAYS. It just doesn't statistically add up.
This is not very Disney of Disney. I mean it's only a Magic Band, but if this was my first trip to Disney and I was experiencing this, I would be wondering what kind of service and organization I was giving all my money to.

It's really not a technical endeavor to have a site that can dynamically update the front end website based on the availability of an item in an inventory database. Pretty basic, in fact.

That's my chief complaint here. Don't waste people's time by letting them get 3/4 of the way through the ordering process for something that isn't there. Over and over again.

It's clear Disney short changes their IT budget big time. They're either understaffed or outsource to less qualified places for pennies on the dollar. You reap what you sow.

I gave up trying to order after the third attempt. I ordered skins off Etsy and my kids are perfectly happy.

Last edited:
It's really not a technical endeavor to have a site that can dynamically update the front end website based on the availability of an item in an inventory database. Pretty basic, in fact.

That's my chief complaint here. Don't waste people's time by letting them get 3/4 of the way through the ordering process for something that isn't there. Over and over again.

It's clear Disney short changes their IT budget big time. They're either understaffed or outsource to less qualified countries for pennies on the dollar. You reap what you sow.

I gave up trying to order after the third attempt. I ordered skins off Etsy and my kids are perfectly happy.
That is where I'm at now. Skins for all. Sorry Disney I'll take my money elsewhere.

The whole thing is confusing and frustrating. It really doesn't seem like something that should be that difficult for them to figure out. And the fact that they just shrug their shoulders and say too bad nothing we can do is not right at all.

After reading this thread and my many failed attempts to purchase bands via MDE I too have gone with skins. I just placed my order for both skins and for the free bands for each member traveling with us this coming January. I will give them as Christmas presents to my grandchildren. Like others have said Disney just lost out on $$$, not like Disney to pass up and opportunity to make money...

It's clear Disney short changes their IT budget big time. They're either understaffed or outsource to less qualified places for pennies on the dollar. You reap what you sow.

Yes this is my issue too! Disney has never been known for the IT, other than it being terrible. I finally got a few of the custom ones for our 8 person trip but nothing for my son. Ended up ordering him a skin and he's happy.

I have been trying to get the Minnie magic band for my daughter and every time it shows and I click on it, it's never actually in stock. Really frustrating. I am just going to stick with the solid colors for now.

I have been trying to get the Minnie magic band for my daughter and every time it shows and I click on it, it's never actually in stock. Really frustrating. I am just going to stick with the solid colors for now.
Exact same scenario for me. Get the Minnie band in my cart and then says “not in stock!”
I got a few of the “chosen” bands because we have a split stay and have more than one opportunity to order, but this has been an incredibly frustrating process. Won’t do it again unless it gets fixed.

I've been watching for the parks snack one. A couple of weeks ago it showed up, then got an error out of stock when I selected it. I don't know why I really want it, I have several of design ones. They really came up with a gold mine with the bands, probably only cost a couple dollars to produce.

They really need to put a time limit on them if they can't keep up, for example you can select 60 days or less before check-in.

No luck here....out of stock and then look a little later, those are gone and more are listed. Try one of those.....out of stock.
Free ones it will be!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!