Disney Springs restaurant?

clutter

DIS Veteran
I'm heading down to the Swan for a conference. The first night, my boss, her dh and I are talking about going out to dinner. Now, I LOVE my boss and her husband, but they are big time food and wine snobs. They probably spend as much on wine in a month as I spend on.... my mortgage, maybe? (I'm NOT doing F&W with them, I'd rather go on my own than that.) As for food - well her dh is a little bit picky, but lets just say I probably should have capitalized "snobs" above, lol. Oh, and she is not really a disney person - I'll just throw that in for good measure!

Our flight will land at 5:30, so we are looking at a place to eat. She suggested getting dinner at one of the restaurants at the Swan or Dolphin. Me, I'd rather do something like run over to DS and wander around, maybe grab a bite at Wolfgang Pucks. So maybe finding a reservation at DS is the compromise.

So tell me - what are your favorites? For seafood, Paddlefish v. Boathouse? (Is it the same Boathouse that used to be there many years ago? I ate there once and thought it was only ok.) Everyone raves about Morimoto, but I'm not a sushi person, and thank goodness her dh isn't either. Homecoming - wait, I looked at the menu, and it looks too heavy for my boss' taste. Bongos?

I thought about going to the Top of the World (I'm DVC), but if we had dinner, we'd be too late for fireworks, so I don't know if it would be worth the effort. (California Grill has no openings)

Suggestions, foodies?

I'm heading down to the Swan for a conference. The first night, my boss, her dh and I are talking about going out to dinner. Now, I LOVE my boss and her husband, but they are big time food and wine snobs. They probably spend as much on wine in a month as I spend on.... my mortgage, maybe? (I'm NOT doing F&W with them, I'd rather go on my own than that.) As for food - well her dh is a little bit picky, but lets just say I probably should have capitalized "snobs" above, lol. Oh, and she is not really a disney person - I'll just throw that in for good measure!

Our flight will land at 5:30, so we are looking at a place to eat. She suggested getting dinner at one of the restaurants at the Swan or Dolphin. Me, I'd rather do something like run over to DS and wander around, maybe grab a bite at Wolfgang Pucks. So maybe finding a reservation at DS is the compromise.

So tell me - what are your favorites? For seafood, Paddlefish v. Boathouse? (Is it the same Boathouse that used to be there many years ago? I ate there once and thought it was only ok.) Everyone raves about Morimoto, but I'm not a sushi person, and thank goodness her dh isn't either. Homecoming - wait, I looked at the menu, and it looks too heavy for my boss' taste. Bongos?

I thought about going to the Top of the World (I'm DVC), but if we had dinner, we'd be too late for fireworks, so I don't know if it would be worth the effort. (California Grill has no openings)

Suggestions, foodies?
I totally don't get why you wouldn't just go with her suggestion of a restaurant at the Swan or Dolphin. They are, without a doubt, some of the nicest restaurants at WDW. There is a nice selection with steak, seafood or Italian you all can choose from.
IMHO you have said some important things. You are traveling with your Boss and her husband. Clearly she wants him to enjoy himself as well.
They are food and wine snobs and DH is also picky.
She is not a Disney person.
I traveled with my boss a lot. I too loved my boss. I ALWAYS went with her suggestions. Especially in your circumstance where they are food snobs and he is picky. That way if they don't like it it is not on you. It was not your suggestion. I also think DS could be overwhelming for a non Disney person. It gets very crowded in the evenings. The restaurants at the S & D are quieter and more upscale than most at DS.

I totally don't get why you wouldn't just go with her suggestion of a restaurant at the Swan or Dolphin. They are, without a doubt, some of the nicest restaurants at WDW. There is a nice selection with steak, seafood or Italian you all can choose from..

I'd totally agree with that statement. Shula's is great for Steak, a LOT better than the Boathouse (we went there, and they keep saying that they were own by Gibson from Chicago and blah blah blah. We went to Gibson several time. The only thing they really have in common is the seasoning). Il Mulino was great usually, last time was a miss but might just have been once.

If you are looking for seafood, Bluezoo and Flying Fish (at the Boardwalk) are right there as well.

After flying in, get to the hotel, check in, you might like not to have to go far for a good meal. And most importantly, your boss might not want to go far for a good meal. You can always go for diner and go to Disney Springs on your own after to wander around. It's open fairly late.

Also, it's a lot easier to get into the Swan/Dolphin restaurants. It's harder to get into the Disney Spring restaurant without a reservation. If there is any delay with your flight, you might miss your meal. You can book every restaurant at the Swan/Dolphin on Open table and it's easier to adjust time if need be. And when you stay at the hotel, they try to accommodate without a reservation.

Shula's is probably your best bet. Flying Fish is a good recommendation, but probably no better than Boathouse. Doubt there's anything better, unless V&A is an option.

The best option is V&A, though I realize it's tres expensive. After that, the restaurants at the Swalphin are, indeed, some of the best around Disney. If you definitely want to go to DS, then either Morimoto or Boathouse. Morimoto is so much more than sushi and, in fact, doesn't have the best sushi on property (that title belongs to Kimonos). They have a wide variety of Asian fusion dishes and nods to classic Asian dishes. Only served at dinner, there is a dish called buri bop that is exceptional and is prepared table side. The Boathouse has good food, as well, though I like their appetizers better than entrees. Their version of beef carpaccio is among the best I've had. One other suggestion is BiCE over at the Portofino Hotel at the Dark Side. Topnotch Italian including a superb osso buco. Their wine list is also extensive if mostly focused on Italian varietals.

Shula's is probably your best bet. Flying Fish is a good recommendation, but probably no better than Boathouse. Doubt there's anything better, unless V&A is an option.

Never ate at Shula's, but IMHO Flying Fish is better than Boathouse. It's all sooooo subjective, and any restaurant can have an "off" night for sure. :sunny:

From what I've heard if you REALLY want fabulous food on WDW property, hike over the the Four Seasons and check out THEIR restaurants! I've heard excellent things about them, though I have not yet gotten there to try for myself. :cutie:

Given the choice, since you're in that neck of the woods, I'd opt for Blue Zoo, really good food, diverse menu, beautiful decor, wonderful cocktails, better than Wolgang Puck any day. As far as Disney Springs, we've really enjoyed Wine Bar George, you'll pay $45 and up and up for a bottle but that's the norm, their appetizers are good but entrees are big family size platters, don't know if that would work for you all. Morimoto's is more than sushi, the Peking Duck is awesome, again a very good looking venue. Raglans, good food, great drinks and even better ambiance if you want loud and fun! Not a fan of Paddlefish and I have yet to try the Boathouse, no one in my circle wants to go. STK, only had drinks and good appetizers, they have entertainment later in the evening. But if it's steak you want, then I'd do Shula's, it's right there and if it's Italian, Il Mulino (Personally I don't do too much steak or Italian at Disney) Bongos, is a NO. But if you really want to catch the foreworks at the Top of The World Lounge, what about a casual dinner at the Wave, great bar, good wine, good food, then up you go!

They kind of already suggested area so my vote would be for shula's, not impressed with Blue Zoo. Love flying Fish too. If they wanted to go off property then my vote would be for Bull and the Bear, best meal in Orlando we ever had.

Well, it looks like Paddlefish might win. I ended up suggesting (for a lot of reasons) a couple of the DS restaurants and Jiko or Boma because they are just cool, and she and her husband would like AKL. (I'm pushing to get away from Swan/Dolphin, and to a really cool part of WDW. We're going to be stuck there for a couple days!) Her choice, so far is Paddlefish, partly based on availability (because she doesn't know, like I do, that there will be openings the night before :goodvibes ) I'm wondering if I should keep checking Boathouse, though. I really can't get a feel for either.

I think we will swing by Wine Bar George after (she wasn't up for their menu). But, of course, it's all subject to change!

While I really do love my boss, I'm going in full well knowing that she won't love it. She is just not a disney person, so everything will be tainted :rotfl2:. Its just the way it is, and that's fine. After a million years, we're at peace with our differences. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the help, I do love to hear other's opinions and you certainly helped me for my next trip.

If they are truly foodies I'd veer away from Paddlefish. The menu does look good but the execution from my experience is off and the service is some of the worst in Disney I'd experienced.

As others have said sticking to The Swan given your parameters is likely a good bet for everyone and will enable them to get into Disney much slower. Of all of the options Blue Zoo is definitely my favorite, though Il Mulino and Shula's are good too. Since you are getting in late all 3 have bars where you could grab dinner rather than having a reservation too.

I, too, would steer clear of Paddlefish. Been there twice and unimpressed with both food and service. Wine list is just okay. The Boathouse is a better choice; Morimoto's is a better choice. Heck, I'd go to Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar before venturing back to Paddlefish. To echo kastoney, the service both times has been underwhelming to down right poor.

Well, we ended up at Paddlefish. It actually went really well! The service was slow, but we were kind of ok with that. I had a drink - Captain something that is a new favorite. The food was great, the wine guy came around (he must have been 25, but he was fairly knowlegeable) and had a lovely chat with my boss and her dh. All in all a lovely evening. Whew!

Thanks for all the opinions!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!