Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

What time are the gondolas going to operate? Will it be an hour before park opening? We arrive at POP on 9/28 and are rope dropping HS on 9/29, the first day the gondolas are officially open. Trying to decide if the gondolas or a bus will be better.
Hours have not been released but I would guess at least an hour before and after park closings.

What time are the gondolas going to operate? Will it be an hour before park opening? We arrive at POP on 9/28 and are rope dropping HS on 9/29, the first day the gondolas are officially open. Trying to decide if the gondolas or a bus will be better.
Having watched them floating along for the past 10 days, I would definitely head towards the Skyliner first and see if it’s running. If it’s not you’ve not lost much time and can go to a bus but if it is it should be much faster than loading and driving time in the buses.

I'm obviously very pro the Skyliner and public transit in general, but I can't really think of many real urban use cases for a system like this. Obviously a Breckenridge has a use case, but it and other ski cities are much more similar to WDW than say LA or DFW.

It seems like it really needs very concentrated origins and destinations separated by no more than a few miles.

Austin, TX looked at running them up and down Congress Street and South Congress. With the river causing choke points running them on Congress, First St, and Lamar would help Austin a lot. State government, downtown offices, and University of Texas during the day and people going to the entertainment districts at night.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...d9b464bd469d57a!8m2!3d30.267153!4d-97.7430608

Last edited:
Based on the video, it looks like they do not load like the PeopleMover, ie, I didn't see a moving sidewalk at the same speed as the gondolas. Can anyone confirm?

The sidewalk doesn’t move but the gondolas do.
Well yes, that was my point. It will take a certain amount of coordination to keep up with a moving gondola, especially if pushing a stroller on. I can't think of any WDW attractions that require that--HM, PeopleMover, SE, Kali have moving sidewalks. Peter Pan maybe?

Well yes, that was my point. It will take a certain amount of coordination to keep up with a moving gondola, especially if pushing a stroller on. I can't think of any WDW attractions that require that--HM, PeopleMover, SE, Kali have moving sidewalks. Peter Pan maybe?

I think these move so slow it really won't be an issue - you can see in the video a family pushing a stroller on without any issues. And then they have the second loading area for ECVs, etc where they will be at a full stop (can see that too in the video the family with the wheelchair)

Peter Pan has a moving sidewalk.

The next Gondola line that makes sense to me has a hub at TTC similar to the one at CB. One direction from there takes you straight to Disney Springs. The other direction takes you to front of AK then on to Ak Lodge. The TTC then basically becomes a link to all four parks either by Ferry, monorail and Gondolas as well as Disney Springs.

I noticed that on the video also and was a bit surprised.

Only 2 that I can think of:
  • Primeval Whirl (temporarily closed for mysterious reasons)
  • The original Journey Into Imagination (permanently closed)
But as others said, the gondolas move slower than walking speed in the load area, and there are hundreds in operation around the world, and probably dozens that are not directly ski-related and routinely carry regular not-particularly-athletic people including strollers and wheelchairs.

Except almost all of the omnimovers with moving sidewalks have a slightly different speed between the sidewalk and vehicle. The gondolas move so slowly it'll be a very similar experience, except you'll have significantly more time to get in.

Except almost all of the omnimovers with moving sidewalks have a slightly different speed between the sidewalk and vehicle. The gondolas move so slowly it'll be a very similar experience, except you'll have significantly more time to get in.

plus you have that moment when you have to transition from the stationary path to the moving walkway and then after the ride form the moving walkway to the stationary path

I don't see getting on the gondola as the slow speed it is going as any more challenging/tripping hazard as that .... with any system there is that moment of going from something not moving to something that is and bac kagain

It will be easier than the attractions for a few reasons. You will be on a flat surface going to a flat surface. The area you are boarding from to is wide (good visuals) and the cabins are moving slow.
Here is a old video of a now closed Gondola also built by Doppelmayr.
You an see how easy it is to board.
There will also be a area for wheelchairs and ECV’s to board where the cabin is completely stopped on a separate line.

I will be staying at AoA in December, and cannot wait to ride this. I have been following its development for quite some time now. IMO I think this is HUGE! Not only because it is another source of transportation to and from, not just 1 park, but 2, but also because of the "attraction" of it. The views alone arriving into Epcot are priceless and something never before seen. Definitely a big deal and worthy of calling it an "event" in WDW's history (comparable to the opening of the monorail, but maybe not as big). Maybe the Today Show will not cover it's opening, but many bloggers and Disney media companies will. I'd say that's an event!

I don't see getting on the gondola as the slow speed it is going as any more challenging/tripping hazard as that ..
You haven't seen me walking and boarding yet, Max. :laughing:
It will be easier than the attractions for a few reasons. You will be on a flat surface going to a flat surface. The area you are boarding from to is wide (good visuals) and the cabins are moving slow.
Here is a old video of a now closed Gondola also built by Doppelmayr.
You an see how easy it is to board.
There will also be a area for wheelchairs and ECV’s to board where the cabin is completely stopped on a separate line.
What surprises me on that video is the apparent easy possibility for an older person or a bit unstable person to misstep and fall between the gondolas at the boarding area.

I will be staying at AoA in December, and cannot wait to ride this. I have been following its development for quite some time now. IMO I think this is HUGE! Not only because it is another source of transportation to and from, not just 1 park, but 2, but also because of the "attraction" of it. The views alone arriving into Epcot are priceless and something never before seen. Definitely a big deal and worthy of calling it an "event" in WDW's history (comparable to the opening of the monorail, but maybe not as big). Maybe the Today Show will not cover it's opening, but many bloggers and Disney media companies will. I'd say that's an event!

I'm super excited for this as well. We tried AoA one trip and while we liked the resort the travel to every park by bus really took a toll on our enjoyment. We love staying in the Epcot area since you can easily walk/boat to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The price though always makes us consider somewhere else. The skyliner is making us consider trying AoA again.

Last edited:
The next Gondola line that makes sense to me has a hub at TTC similar to the one at CB. One direction from there takes you straight to Disney Springs. The other direction takes you to front of AK then on to Ak Lodge. The TTC then basically becomes a link to all four parks either by Ferry, monorail and Gondolas as well as Disney Springs.
That does make kinda sense, except there'd have to be a tapstyle or something at DS. Otherwise you have people parking for free at DS to go to MK--as was a problem at DS until they stopped bus service to the parks from DS.

Either that, or gondola is to DS, but not from. Which is kind of inefficient use of the gondola.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter