Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Thanks for clarifying, I learned something today :)
I thought it looked like that ghost pallet was barely clearing the doors but it must have been the camera angle (or my eyes).

20mm is not very big. 1 cm on each side of the pallet wouldn't be super noticeable.

I thought it looked like that ghost pallet was barely clearing the doors but it must have been the camera angle (or my eyes).

10mm on either side (1cm, or 3/8") would "fit" while not showing much visible clearance.

New Disney stroller rules. 31 inches wide is the biggest allowed

Yes, I'm aware of that. Is Disney? Because there's a very popular stroller slightly wider than the new rules state, yet it has not been challenged at the parks. It could be tight based on the measurements discussed above for the Skyliner clearance. Does the Skyliner have a box for measuring strollers?

Put spots on the floor for riders to stand on before boarding. Six large circles and four small circles in a cluster for one cabin. If all the large circles are taken an adult can stand over two small circles and a smaller child may stand on one small circle. Result: Eight of any ages, or two children plus seven others of any ages, or four children plus six others of any ages.

10mm on either side (1cm, or 3/8") would "fit" while not showing much visible clearance.
Very true. But more importantly it would mean the opening technically meets ADA compliance (31.5" vs 32.28"), which @Q-man pointed out.

And this is probably one of the reasons why Disney chose to build the stationary load areas. Less than 1/2" ADA clearance doesn't make for a quick load process if you are in a bariatric wheelchair or large ECV, as those tend to be about 30" wide. That would mean you would have to have rather good hand-eye coordination to hit that moving opening without knocking into a door. (Yes, I know it's VERY slow, but even very slow is probably not enough time if you have a situation where you have to manually back up a dragging wheeled conveyance and try again.,)

I think they are probably going to direct most full-sized and rental chairs and ECVs to the stationary load loop as a matter of course. Juvenile chairs and "compact" personal chairs should load on the main track quite easily if their users prefer.

(By "dragging", I meant that lateral force is being exerted on the wheels,, making them more difficult to move; not that the chair would truly be moving sideways along the platform edge. If that happened I'm sure the CM would e-stop it instantly.)

I found it interesting that the film showed a single umbrella stroller folded with the child sitting on a lap. I would have assumed that requiring single strollers to be folded would slow down load/unload to an unwanted degree, so I didn't think that they would require it. Obviously, guests can do it if they want to, but requiring it would seem unnecessary.

PS: If the "slightly too wide" stroller referenced above is the Bob Duallie, it is 31.5", which will still fit onto a gondola, though it would probably be advisable to use the stationary load loop.

Last edited:
20 mm is about 3/4", so it is barely clearing, by 3/8" on each side. :)

I'm sure there will be plenty of people standing or getting up after the gondola takes off. How can the CMs enforce that if the gondolas have no security cameras? Riders, especially teens, will know they can do whatever they want to once the doors close and the car takes off. The CMs won't know unless another rider calls them.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people standing or getting up after the gondola takes off. How can the CMs enforce that if the gondolas have no security cameras? Riders, especially teens, will know they can do whatever they want to once the doors close and the car takes off. The CMs won't know unless another rider calls them.
There is a call box in each gondola for emergency or reporting bad behavior.

I think they are probably going to direct most full-sized and rental chairs and ECVs to the stationary load loop as a matter of course. Juvenile chairs and "compact" personal chairs should load on the main track quite easily if their users prefer.

Based on the driving skills I saw with ECVs unloading from buses, I expect they will direct all wheelchairs and ECVs to the stationary load area. Those who use wheelchairs and ECVs regularly could load into the moving cabins, but I assume Disney will not distinguish since letting novices try to maneuver onto the moving cabins will likely result in emergency stops.

I’m going to be very interested to see how they handle the no standing/walking in gondola rule.

I have no desire to stand due to clumsiness.

But I can see contrarians or language barriers causing people to not get the message.

Or small kids who can’t sit still. Though maybe it won’t be a big issue - CMs will just politely discourage it?

During CM trials, do they ask CMs to think or act “outside of the box?” Not in a dangerous way, but it a “clueless how this works and didn’t listen to the message” way?
Standing or moving around in the cabin won't hurt the system. Having the rule gives them cover if someone gets hurt from losing their balance or falling over during an E-stop.

I've moved around in gondolas and there are plenty of videos online if people doing a lot more than just standing in them. Even if people jump, it's more annoying/scary to others than an actual risk to the system.

I found it interesting that the film showed a single umbrella stroller folded with the child sitting on a lap. I would have assumed that requiring single strollers to be folded would slow down load/unload to an unwanted degree, so I didn't think that they would require it. Obviously, guests can do it if they want to, but requiring it would seem unnecessary.

Disney's video shows a stroller being rolled on and the kid still sitting in the stroller while the gondola is traveling.

I took the various stroller views to show that their are options that each family could choose. I'm glad they showed a stroller being wheeled on and the child sitting in it as I know that is a question that has been raised many times.

We can now say with confidence that strollers will not need to be folded in the Gondola's and the child(ren) may remain in them.

I took the various stroller views to show that their are options that each family could choose. I'm glad they showed a stroller being wheeled on and the child sitting in it as I know that is a question that has been raised many times.

We can now say with confidence that strollers will not need to be folded in the Gondola's and the child(ren) may remain in them.

I did notice that was a ery small and light umbrella stroller and wonder how larger strollers will be handled - if they will still fit and/or would need to go to the secondary loop

I think the ability to not have to fold up a stroller though is a huge selling point for these resorts for families with young ones - I know the one time we stayed at a monorail resort a big motivating factors was not having to fold the stroller when getting on the monorail

I did notice that was a ery small and light umbrella stroller and wonder how larger strollers will be handled - if they will still fit and/or would need to go to the secondary loop

I think the ability to not have to fold up a stroller though is a huge selling point for these resorts for families with young ones - I know the one time we stayed at a monorail resort a big motivating factors was not having to fold the stroller when getting on the monorail

Very true for me - I cancelled my plan to do MK for fireworks bc my kids are all under 6 and I can't imagine having to wrangle all of them onto a bus back to CBR when they're tired and cranky.

Our plan is to do the second to last night of Illuminations - so we'll be on the Skyliner opening day with our giant City Mini Double and can give first hand accounts on if we're able to squeeze in the doors!

Agreed and the bigger boats as well, hopefully larger strollers are OK as well.

Picking up the child (esp one sleeping) and carrying them onto a bus, while folding and lifting/carrying the stroller as well is awful.

This is going to turn into PeopleMover on Grad Night / Night of Joy really quickly :littleangel: :love:

Disney’s Hollywood Studios to Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort – 2:33
Epcot to Disney’s Riviera Resort – 6:16

Last edited:
Are we sure that there are no cameras? Little wireless cameras are very cheap, and they could leave them turned off most of the time unless there was some reason to be concerned. They could easily have equipped all 300 gondolas for under $3K in parts, assuming that they were installed on the assembly line and added into the main wiring harness. (I think you could install it on the outside of the window frame pointing in, which would prevent anyone from messing with it, I doubt anyone would even know it was there if the lens was behind a small drilled hole in the frame.)

Or, I suppose, they could post a drone operator at each station. ;) :smokin:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter