Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

They had three gondolas parked on each of the “spurs” for ECV loading. Didn’t actually see the process happen though. At Riviera there is no spur. The CM there said they can slow the station down to the point you can’t tell the gondolas are even moving so they can load an ECV.
On P2tP's video, there were some cabins being dispatched from the 2nd loop with doors closed. He didn't hold the shot long enough (or I didn't stick with it long enough) to see if they were being sent out on a regular basis, but I did count more than 8 regular cabins without a special cabin being dispatched.

(In early testing, every 9th cabin was coming from the 2nd loop.)

I'm very curious to see how things are slowed down at Riviera. Is the entire line slowed down? Is there some sort of accordion effect in play, beyond the normal moving closer together as they slow down to boarding speed?

I'm sure there will be a control booth operator who can slow down and speed up the gondolas as needed at Riviera.
It does look like the load and unload areas are about twice as big as the other stations which gives them plenty of time to keep the same spacing on the lines.

On P2tP's video, there were some cabins being dispatched from the 2nd loop with doors closed. He didn't hold the shot long enough (or I didn't stick with it long enough) to see if they were being sent out on a regular basis, but I did count more than 8 regular cabins without a special cabin being dispatched.

I'm very curious to see how things are slowed down at Riviera. Is the entire line slowed down? Is there some sort of accordion effect in play, beyond the normal moving closer together as they slow down to boarding speed?

Where is this video?

Unless the spacing between the cars CHANGES, i.e. there is a big gap they can fill in while the car is stopped, then the whole line has to slow down. Pretty sure the whole line wil have to stop and Disney made a mistake here.

Unless the spacing between the cars CHANGES, i.e. there is a big gap they can fill in while the car is stopped, then the whole line has to slow down. Pretty sure the whole line wil have to stop and Disney made a mistake here.

I think just with the station loading/unloading area being twice the size of the other staion there is enough time to advance the car with the ECV a bit (so larger gap within the station to the next car) and basically halt it while the ECV gets off and the next car gains on it until back to normal gap and then it goes on it's way (not sure I am explaining this well, but it works in my mind)

Only issue would be if there is a problem and the ECV gets stuck or something and then they might have to halt the system

but guess we shall see!

If it takes too long to disembark an ECV then that car can skip the time to board another ECV by going out empty.

I'm sure there will be a control booth operator who can slow down and speed up the gondolas as needed at Riviera.
It does look like the load and unload areas are about twice as big as the other stations which gives them plenty of time to keep the same spacing on the lines.

Each CM at the station had a portable control pad that they can use for changing speed and I think I even saw an E stop button on it.

Cabins in the station move at a different speed than those on the line. They are moving while you are getting into them. When in the station, the spacing between cabins is just a few inches.

I counted 10 regular gondolas between ECV gondolas twice and 11 regular in between once in P2tP’s video - I noticed the ECV gondolas have their doors already shut when they join the queue of regular gondolas which had open doors & were ready to load, so that made counting a bit easier, but P2tP did swing the camera away from the queue frequently which made counting challenging as well.o_O

The variable gap solution has been my guess for a long time. There is no reason why it couldn't work with how the station is designed.

Take this with a grain of salt but...there will be at least one live stream this week of a streamer "Spokesmayne" riding the gondolas...not Rob :sad2:

Just so you know, he is blissfully unaware of the details and minutia discussed here..but he is great at answering questions during his streams..so ask away and we might get some new info :)

Last edited:
Take this with a grain of salt but...there will be at least one live stream this week of a streamer "Spokesmayne" riding the gondolas...not Rob :sad2:

Just so you know, he is blissfully unaware of the details and minutia discussed here..but he is great at answering questions during his streams..so ask away and we might get some new info :)
And he’s allowed to stream? So far photos and video haven’t been allowed during CM testing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter