Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I have only read about half the pages, so forgive me, but if the flaps open to let fresh air come through, what happens when it's raining? Can those flaps be controlled so they only open part way? Just to be clear, I'm talking normal rain , not thunderstorms. I'm just thinking when you drive and have the window open only an inch, you still end up getting wet.
Who is going to be stupid enough to willingly get in one during a thunderstorm?

I am naturally suspicious and cynical but I think you're reaching. The actual skyliner has been running for months. The delay seem to be with station and park entrance work.
I'll speculate CMs who could be working on the stations are instead working on SWGE. Isn't that a theory regarding MMRR?
Could reduced revenue due soft bookings result in a reluctance to authorize overtime?
They've been running for months, without people.

Disney hasn't announced how it will handle thunderstorms. It could be like the boats and they don't run when there is lightening. One of the many things we're waiting to learn about the Skyliner.
I'd bet they treat it like an outdoor roller coaster: If there's lightning within a 5-10 mile radius, they shut it down. I'd go with the longer radius because it would take longer to empty a fully-loaded gondola system than a coaster with a three-minute cycle.

It should take about 15 minutes to offload all guests from the Epcot gondola line under normal operation preceding a shutdown event, since that is the one way trip time. About six minutes for the Pop Century and Hollywood Studios lines. In reality there should be a positive indicator such as a flag thrown into the gondola after the last gondola that departed with guests so the CMs at the other end will know that no guests are following behind.

They did say a Fall opening and that is what was announced..but as far as soft openings I think it will depend on the heat index.
I would expect if and when they soft open that there will be some snags and they will cause an E stop, so they wouldn't want guests in the gondola's if that happens.
And I'm a life long FL resident and there is a HUGE difference between July/August heat and late September/October heat..humidity and dew points are much lower into October even if the temparature is high...so the feels like is much lower..unless your directly in the sun for awhile..

They did say a Fall opening and that is what was announced..but as far as soft openings I think it will depend on the heat index.
I would expect if and when they soft open that there will be some snags and they will cause an E stop, so they wouldn't want guests in the gondola's if that happens.
And I'm a life long FL resident and there is a HUGE difference between July/August heat and late September/October heat..humidity and dew points are much lower into October even if the temparature is high...so the feels like is much lower.
No has nothing to do with the heat. They WILL open in some capacity before September 29th.

It should take about 15 minutes to offload all guests from the Epcot gondola line under normal operation preceding a shutdown event, since that is the one way trip time. About six minutes for the Pop Century and Hollywood Studios lines. In reality there should be a positive indicator such as a flag thrown into the gondola after the last gondola that departed with guests so the CMs at the other end will know that no guests are following behind.

It should take less the 15 minutes. The whole CBR to Epcot line is supposed to be 15 minutes, but in the event of a storm they could unload at Riviera if necessary.

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but have had problems with my tablet and just got a new one. My DW and I will have a non-park day (Sunday 10/27) we will be staying at BWV, DW want to go to CBRand AOL via the gondolas . We would like to know the distance wise how far a walk is it to Old Port Royale at CBR and the main building at AOL from each station. Again I apologize if this has been asked and answered previously. Thanks for any info you folks can provide us.

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but have had problems with my tablet and just got a new one. My DW and I will have a non-park day (Sunday 10/27) we will be staying at BWV, DW want to go to CBRand AOL via the gondolas . We would like to know the distance wise how far a walk is it to Old Port Royale at CBR and the main building at AOL from each station. Again I apologize if this has been asked and answered previously. Thanks for any info you folks can provide us.

so not sure if anyone has figured it out exactly. I did some "distance measuring" on Google earth, and from the station at CBR to the main building it was about 650m which is about 0.4 miles

And is AOL, Art of Animation? If so then it is about 300m or about 0.2 miles

I usually like his reviews and post but this one really annoyed me. I'm really bothered by his negativity about them when he hasn't even been on them. Also, if you don't want to ride the gondolas in the summer than don't stay at those resorts, easy as that.
I felt the exact same way! I’m normally a huge Josh fan and appreciate his reviews but not this one. Wish I hadn’t taken the time to read it which is something I’ve never said about his posts in the past.

Well, I'm glad we finally have a date but I have to be honest it leaves me a little befuddled. They're planning the parks like they are going to break all attendance records and the transit like no one is going to show up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!