Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Oh no! My wife and I went out of our way to book a weekend trip in early Sept @ Pop to try it out... If Disney Drops some good discounts soon (I hear bookings are down for Fall) we might switch it up. Not sure why they waited so late to drop the news... maybe to keep people from cancelling?

I’m so disappointed. I booked CBR instead of CSR because I wanted to be on the Skyliner, being that it was going to be convenient for Epcot and DHS. Now it opens two days before we leave. At best, we’ll be able to utilize a couple times on those last couple of days. At worst, they’ll be slammed those first two days because it’s so new. Oh well.

Oh no! My wife and I went out of our way to book a weekend trip in early Sept @ Pop to try it out... If Disney Drops some good discounts soon (I hear bookings are down for Fall) we might switch it up. Not sure why they waited so late to drop the news... maybe to keep people from cancelling?

If I were the suspicious type, I'd say that this COULD have something to do with the worry that passive cooling might not work quite as well as Disney and Dopplmayr hoped that it would. The parks are hurting right now under a rash of negative publicity re: price hikes and the mysterious drop in attendance this summer, and if they had any worries that all those Disney bloggers might come out with reports that the new gondolas are indeed uncomfortably hot; that would be a good reason to hold the announcement of the opening date until they had time to actually test in true summer weather conditions.

If the inside of those gondolas are turning out to be not so delightfully breezy after all, then stalling the opening until the worst of the summer heat has passed would be a proactive PR move at a time when they are trying desperately to manage negative press. That way, by the time next summer's hotel guests prepared to step aboard in real summer heat, all of the publicity surrounding the opening would have died down, and vloggers would not be bothering to talk about it so much anymore.

FWIW, I'm not naturally that suspicious -- I think it's probably a tangential contractual issue of some kind.

Maybe before the official opening, they might have soft openings at different days and different times and different stations. Unless the official opening is the soft opening.

I have only read about half the pages, so forgive me, but if the flaps open to let fresh air come through, what happens when it's raining? Can those flaps be controlled so they only open part way? Just to be clear, I'm talking normal rain , not thunderstorms. I'm just thinking when you drive and have the window open only an inch, you still end up getting wet.

I have only read about half the pages, so forgive me, but if the flaps open to let fresh air come through, what happens when it's raining? Can those flaps be controlled so they only open part way? Just to be clear, I'm talking normal rain , not thunderstorms. I'm just thinking when you drive and have the window open only an inch, you still end up getting wet.
There's a video that appears to show the louvred windows being adjustable from the inside. No one knows for sure but that's what it looked like. Someone on here must have the link, you can find very interesting videos if you go to the first post and scroll down.

If I were the suspicious type, I'd say that this COULD have something to do with the worry that passive cooling might not work quite as well as Disney and Dopplmayr hoped that it would. .....

FWIW, I'm not naturally that suspicious -- I think it's probably a tangential contractual issue of some kind.
I am naturally suspicious and cynical but I think you're reaching. The actual skyliner has been running for months. The delay seem to be with station and park entrance work.
I'll speculate CMs who could be working on the stations are instead working on SWGE. Isn't that a theory regarding MMRR?
Could reduced revenue due soft bookings result in a reluctance to authorize overtime?

If I were the suspicious type, I'd say that this COULD have something to do with the worry that passive cooling might not work quite as well as Disney and Dopplmayr hoped that it would. The parks are hurting right now under a rash of negative publicity re: price hikes and the mysterious drop in attendance this summer, and if they had any worries that all those Disney bloggers might come out with reports that the new gondolas are indeed uncomfortably hot; that would be a good reason to hold the announcement of the opening date until they had time to actually test in true summer weather conditions.

If the inside of those gondolas are turning out to be not so delightfully breezy after all, then stalling the opening until the worst of the summer heat has passed would be a proactive PR move at a time when they are trying desperately to manage negative press. That way, by the time next summer's hotel guests prepared to step aboard in real summer heat, all of the publicity surrounding the opening would have died down, and vloggers would not be bothering to talk about it so much anymore.

Not much difference in the heat in Florida between August and September. Doesn’t really cool off (not hot😂) until the end of October

Ohhhhh that makes me sad. I've been looking forward to using these. Its the reason I booked CBR.

I really hope they decide to open it mid Sept for my trip.

Last edited:
Not much difference in the heat in Florida between August and September. Doesn’t really cool off (not hot😂) until the end of October
They've put off the opening until the end of September, so how hot September is won't factor.

Yes, the 1st true cold front usually passes in the latter half of October, but most of October is still less hot than August & September; average highs are in the mid to upper 80's, as opposed to the low 90's. And the sun is much lower and days shorter in October, so solar heating is less pronounced.

There's a video that appears to show the louvred windows being adjustable from the inside. No one knows for sure but that's what it looked like. Someone on here must have the link, you can find very interesting videos if you go to the first post and scroll down.

Rob from Passport to the Parks posted a video indeed showing that the window vents are manually controlled. There is a u-shaped metal pull/hoop that swivels down and pushes out for each individual flap, a cast member can been seen entering the cabin and closing all of the vents in that cabin.

The louvers are angled out and downward, so normal rain should be shed outside the cabin. Extreme sideways rain might penetrate.

New discounts were dropped this morning. Be sure to check them out!

I’ve been countless times in July, August and September... Late September is on average quite a bit cooler than late July/Early August.

As soon as I saw the announcement, I immediately thought (at least a minor reason) the chosen opening date was to avoid the current heatwave... also to attract guests for the “in between timeframe” of Galaxy’s Edge opening and Rise of the Resitance opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!