Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Are there any recent pictures of the CBR station? I think I've seen all the others but only aerials of it.

here is video from yesterday. Starts near the station and then he goes all around CBR. Must say in some spots you can see just how large the support poles are and how close the are to some of the rooms/buildings

It sort of looks like you can see dome lights in the gondola's...oops never mind just reflections

Last edited:
The feed ended suddenly -- apparently his phone overheated. At the time, Weather Underground reported 100 degrees at a nearby location.
Dang-it, I would really like to know the temp inside the cabins on a day like this. Ah well, time will reveal all.

So I'm here right now and here are some of my observations on the lack of AC discussion.

1. It's been super hot here with heat index's into the 100's due to the humidity. Perfect timing for testing the 'we're all going to die' lack of AC theories.

2. We are on the 4th floor at SSR. It is relatively nice on the balcony being up higher. On ground level, it's very humid and uncomfortable. Hence, with the Skykiner up above the humidity layer, comfort levels should be a lot better.

3. With the DW laid up with a stomach flu, I spent the day walking, boating, monorailing, etc. all over WDW, enjoying the vibe, people watching, stopping into resorts and finding a nice comfy spot to read my Clive Cussler novel. The heat/humidity was intense by my standards. Unless the boats were moving, they felt like sweat boxes most of the time. And even with some movement, they were still hot. Not to forget about all the time I stood in the heat waiting for a boat or bus.

Cutting to the chase, I envisioned and almost wished that I was instead up in a Skyliner, high above the humidity layer, and having the air vents directing a nice stream of air over me in the heat reflective, sun blocking cab. Even if the Skyliner is somewhat warm, the overall cumulative 'perceived' discomfort will be significantly less than the current modes of transportation. I for one am looking forward to riding the Skyliner.

Another great video from Rob from Passport to the Parks.
At 1:30 it shows how the second line works. As the cabin goes into the second line it allows a space for the cabin waiting in the second line to enter the main line. Very cool
Interesting -- this differs from my earlier video in that there are 2 cabins staged to reenter the mainline. One reenters, while the 2nd just moves up closer to the switch. It shows that there is some flexibility in how cabins move thru the 2nd loop, and how many can be on the loop at one time.

Maybe, on the unload side, an unloaded cabin can be moved up while the cabin in front of it is still loading enough to make room for another cabin to enter and unload.

So I'm here right now and here are some of my observations on the lack of AC discussion.

1. It's been super hot here with heat index's into the 100's due to the humidity. Perfect timing for testing the 'we're all going to die' lack of AC theories.

2. We are on the 4th floor at SSR. It is relatively nice on the balcony being up higher. On ground level, it's very humid and uncomfortable. Hence, with the Skykiner up above the humidity layer, comfort levels should be a lot better.

3. With the DW laid up with a stomach flu, I spent the day walking, boating, monorailing, etc. all over WDW, enjoying the vibe, people watching, stopping into resorts and finding a nice comfy spot to read my Clive Cussler novel. The heat/humidity was intense by my standards. Unless the boats were moving, they felt like sweat boxes most of the time. And even with some movement, they were still hot. Not to forget about all the time I stood in the heat waiting for a boat or bus.

Cutting to the chase, I envisioned and almost wished that I was instead up in a Skyliner, high above the humidity layer, and having the air vents directing a nice stream of air over me in the heat reflective, sun blocking cab. Even if the Skyliner is somewhat warm, the overall cumulative 'perceived' discomfort will be significantly less than the current modes of transportation. I for one am looking forward to riding the Skyliner.

Yeah having walked approximately 10 miles from the park to the DHS temporary bus stop last August and then standing for 30 minutes in the direct sun waiting for a bus that took forever to come, constantly moving gondolas sounds amazing. The ride is short, there’s are movement and you know you won’t just be standing there for half an hour.

Interesting -- this differs from my earlier video in that there are 2 cabins staged to reenter the mainline. One reenters, while the 2nd just moves up closer to the switch. It shows that there is some flexibility in how cabins move thru the 2nd loop, and how many can be on the loop at one time.

Maybe, on the unload side, an unloaded cabin can be moved up while the cabin in front of it is still loading enough to make room for another cabin to enter and unload.

Yeah, that looks like what is happening in this video. The sequence looks like this.

1. A unloading, B loading, C waiting to enter the line, D about to enter the loop.
2. A moves up to make room for D and C moves onto the line in the gap left by D.
3. B moves up to get ready to enter the line A moves up to load and the cycle repeats.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
@peabody58 Hope your wife is feeling better. Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to using the gondolas when I visit in 2020.

Thank you to everyone posting the updates and videos. We were there a month ago and will be back again in a month. This trip I booked CBR and Pop in hopes that the gondolas might be up and running early before SWGE. Still crossing my fingers!

I think that the description given by DanBoris is a pipe dream.

To recap you have to be able to imagine an analog clock going backwards (or scroll up a few replies to see the diagrams).

With car A exiting onto the handicapped loop onto the 12 o'clock position immediately stopping there to unload, car D comes along, wishes to enter the handicapped loop also and has to stop on the main line until A has finished unloading and vacates the 12 o'clock position ..

Instead it would be better for B to have gone as far as it could, possibly to the 7 o'clock position to unload while A also went as far as it could, possibly to the 8 o'clock position leaving room for D and perhaps others to wait in the 9, 10, 11, and 12'o'clock positions. Cars could unload in any position but probably not in the 10, 11, and 12 o'clock positions to avoid backing up the main line if someone was slow to disembark. Cars should load only in the 7 and 8 o'clock positions to minimize confusion of where to wait on the platform to board. Some cars would be sent out empty if too much of a backlog occurred so a slow boarding rider does not exacerbate a backup too much..

Last edited:
I'm sure with the computer control system they will be able to make sure there is enough time and space to load and unload. They won't be sending ecv gondola's one after another but at certain increments.
Most likely they will not be loading ecv gondola's like the normal ones.. might make people wait before loading to allow for the best timing to enter the normal loop without waiting in a closed up gondola...
We should see this method or something like it when the training with passengers starts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter