Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

If I am understanding the Gondola diagram correctly and reading the pp carefully, the hubs will be Epcot at IG and CBR. So can I assume I would be able to exit Epcot midday after lunch at IG, board a gondola, exit at CBR and board another gondola to DHS for the afternoon and evening? If this is correct, I can see this being a great perk. I hate walking back to the front of EP after a nice lunch just to get to transportation.

Also, I can see people wanting to go from IG to CBR and then to other parks so I would assume they will have to increase buses from CBR to MK and AKL.
I wouldn’t consider Epcot a hub. That station will be the same size as the DHS one. CBR is where all the lines will meet and the maintenance area will be.

If I am understanding the Gondola diagram correctly and reading the pp carefully, the hubs will be Epcot at IG and CBR. So can I assume I would be able to exit Epcot midday after lunch at IG, board a gondola, exit at CBR and board another gondola to DHS for the afternoon and evening? If this is correct, I can see this being a great perk. I hate walking back to the front of EP after a nice lunch just to get to transportation.

Also, I can see people wanting to go from IG to CBR and then to other parks so I would assume they will have to increase buses from CBR to MK and AKL.

Getting to MK and AKL, it'd be easier to walk or boat to DHS if you don't want to go to the front of Epcot.

I think most people will still think Monorail to MK.
People can currently walk to BC and BW bus transportation from IG, so I can’t imagine the gondolas picking up a lot more.

Yeah, I think it'll still be easier to just walk to the BC buses than take a gondola to CBR to get a bus.

Ultimately, it will give guests more transportation options in theory. That will allow folks to choose what is right for them. I know my family sometimes chooses transport that isn't necessarily the most efficient for the trip at hand. Other times it's about getting from A to B as quick as we can. It will give us the choice, and hopefully spread out the load for everyone.
The fear for many, and I think it's justified is that other transport options will be reduced when the skyliner comes on line. So there may or may not be a net gain in the number of people transported, just a redistribution of them.

This has always been an option with the friendship boats.

This is very true however our family really does not care for this fleet of boats (unless they have been updated in the past few years). Always seemed hot, slow, and just unpleasant when we took them a few times several years ago. We like the smaller, open boats that run the MK-GF-Poly route just fine. With the choice of a gondola, we would take that as a preferred method even if it isn't the most efficient route :goodvibes

This is very true however our family really does not care for this fleet of boats (unless they have been updated in the past few years). Always seemed hot, slow, and just unpleasant when we took them a few times several years ago. We like the smaller, open boats that run the MK-GF-Poly route just fine. With the choice of a gondola, we would take that as a preferred method even if it isn't the most efficient route :goodvibes

I will admit that the Friendship Boats are just as slow as ever, but the windows don’t open anymore and the A/C works much better than it used to so that the temperature is comfortable at least. We use it to save our feet as opposed to saving time!

That said, I can see us using the gondola as an alternative even though it likely will take longer than the boat. I’ll be interested in the bird’s-eye view!

We walk from IG to HS at a leisurely pace in a half hour. I think it is about a mile. One of our favorite hassle free forms of transportation.

Couldn't agree more especially on busy days as it's nice to take a leisurely stroll to help rejuvenate you for the mayhem of the next park.

Also means you can stop for a cheeky cocktail either from Joe's or Hurricane Hannah's (depending on which way round you walk) or an Ice-cream at Ample Hills

I will admit that the Friendship Boats are just as slow as ever, but the windows don’t open anymore and the A/C works much better than it used to so that the temperature is comfortable at least. We use it to save our feet as opposed to saving time!

That said, I can see us using the gondola as an alternative even though it likely will take longer than the boat. I’ll be interested in the bird’s-eye view!

I'm not sure it will take longer than the boat. I mean you always have to wait for the boat to get there, then it makes 3 stops on the way, and the trip itself. Unless there are massive back ups to get on the gondolas I'm not sure it would take longer.

I'm not sure it will take longer than the boat. I mean you always have to wait for the boat to get there, then it makes 3 stops on the way, and the trip itself. Unless there are massive back ups to get on the gondolas I'm not sure it would take longer.

I think if the boat is at the dock when you get there, it will come out about the same, but if you have to wait then I could easily see the gondola being faster.

Yeah, I think it'll still be easier to just walk to the BC buses than take a gondola to CBR to get a bus.
Yes. 5 min walk to BC bus stop, tops. Easy peasy right now. Whole area will be more crowded after skyliner. Right now its one of WDW's best areas.(and probably best kept secrets)

Yes. 5 min walk to BC bus stop, tops. Easy peasy right now. Whole area will be more crowded after skyliner. Right now its one of WDW's best areas.(and probably best kept secrets)

I'm going to keep that in mind for our next trip...I hate walking to Epcot's resort bus stop...they feel way out there, especially if you are in WS. Cutting through Beach Club to MK bus to get back to WL could work.

I'm going to keep that in mind for our next trip...I hate walking to Epcot's resort bus stop...they feel way out there, especially if you are in WS. Cutting through Beach Club to MK bus to get back to WL could work.

But then you have to wait for two buses, or a bus and a boat, instead of one. Is that really any better than just walking to the front and getting a single bus to WL?

It’s why I had a question about a potential change in the “secure zone”.
If the gondolas are in the secure zone, then the security checks for walkers and boat guests could be moved closer to the boat dock.
Moving security back would remove a big choke point at the current IG tapstyles.
That would also keep the numbers down for the people coming from the Epcot resorts and going through security at the IG

BC bus stops works well if your park hopping to AK or MK. Its also an easy place to catch a cab.

But then you have to wait for two buses, or a bus and a boat, instead of one. Is that really any better than just walking to the front and getting a single bus to WL?
I never timed it but I bet that the walk from France in WS to the HS bus stops is about the same as walking from France to EPCOT bus stops.

Sometimes, it is more relaxing to finish with the boat. Plus the walk to the front of the park and busses is brutal when the sun is beating down. There aren't a lot of places to sit and take a breather that ate shaded, especially once you exit the park. And for some reason, WL bus is like the farthest away, or was last February.

Doesn’t it make sense to exit at IG and take a bus from BC to MK?
It depends on how you feel about bus vs monorail transportation.

And, unlike and bus route, you can Monorail from Epcot to MK without another bag check. (MK to Epcot Via monorail requires another bag check)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter