Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

This has probably been answered already but how will the loading of ECV scooters and strollers work with how continuous of a process this should be? I feel like a big part of how slow the bus transportation can be is how each bus needs to load a scooter or two and people need to load up their strollers. Will there be a way for people to board a gondola without holding up the rest of them? Will this special boarding only be used for scooters or people with strollers as well?
Nobody has definitive answers yet. We believe some cars will be pulled offline to allow for loading of ECV scooters. My guess is that just as like the buses, strollers will need to be folded so this should not cause any additional load time as guests will be carrying them on.

What @scrappinginontario said - with the added comment that I am not totally sure how Riviera will handle ECV/scooters. Based on the design, it is unlikely they will be able to pull cars off there like at all the other stations. It's possible that people with ECVs staying there will have to be shuttled over to the CBR station, but that's just conjecture.

haha, i thought the other way - I'm not a fan of this and prefer the concept art

another example that Disney can never make everyone happy
I actually was expecting what this looks like.

I think we will see several different types of wraps.

Passport to the Parks posted a video of testing the haul rope:

The guy who runs LiftBlog.com commented on this on another site and said that what you are seeing in this video probably isn't testing of the haul rope. He said that it's very common to attach a hanger to the cable while it is being pulled to keep the cable from twisting, so that is probably what we are seeing here, just the completion of the pull. They will still need to splice the cable, hang it from the rest of the towers, and do adjustments before they can actually start testing.

He said that it's very common to attach a hanger to the cable while it is being pulled to keep the cable from twisting, so that is probably what we are seeing here, just the completion of the pull.
thanks for the clarification. Makes sense to prevent spinning of the cable. due to the natural twists being passed over the crossarm beam.

The guy who runs LiftBlog.com commented on this on another site and said that what you are seeing in this video probably isn't testing of the haul rope. He said that it's very common to attach a hanger to the cable while it is being pulled to keep the cable from twisting, so that is probably what we are seeing here, just the completion of the pull. They will still need to splice the cable, hang it from the rest of the towers, and do adjustments before they can actually start testing.
That’s really interesting. Mass transit in general really interests me, so this thread has been fascinating to follow

That's just an assumption. I'm dubious. The locations of the DHS Skyliner station, bus loops, handicap parking, and what looks to be the new tram drop-off in relation to one another don't appear to be laid out with that in mind. They'd have to build a big fence isolating the station all the way to the bag check, or put in separate bag checks for each mode of arrival, including walk-ins from the parking lot and from Epcot, and at the boat dock. It could be done, but why not design it to make it simple if that was the plan?

They will probably do separate bag checks for each mode of arrival. They do that now for MK. Bag checks at each monorail resort, bag check at each boat dock, bag check at TTC, bag check at the buses, and I believe there is even an individual bag check for those walking from CR.

At HS, I speculate they will have bag check at CBR for the gondola, bag check at boat docks at resorts, bag check for buses, bag check for trams, and bag check for walkers from the BW area. What would be amazing is if you didn't have to go through bag check again between HS and Epcot. I wish they'd do the same with monorail between MK and Epcot, but the last I read, you still have to bag check again at Epcot, even if you just came from the TTC.

They will probably do separate bag checks for each mode of arrival. They do that now for MK. Bag checks at each monorail resort, bag check at each boat dock, bag check at TTC, bag check at the buses, and I believe there is even an individual bag check for those walking from CR.

At HS, I speculate they will have bag check at CBR for the gondola, bag check at boat docks at resorts, bag check for buses, bag check for trams, and bag check for walkers from the BW area. What would be amazing is if you didn't have to go through bag check again between HS and Epcot. I wish they'd do the same with monorail between MK and Epcot, but the last I read, you still have to bag check again at Epcot, even if you just came from the TTC.

I guess you would also need bag check at Riviera since you could go right from there to EPCOT without stopping at CBR

And unless I am totally misremembering I am pretty sure last trip we did not have to do bag check at EPCOT when coming via monorail from TTC

You left out Guests walking in from the handicapped lot. That may be the most problematic, because the lot is directly across the walkway from the station, along the full length of the station. So they would need an impassable fence down the middle of the walkway, or between the edge of the lot and the edge of the walkway to funnel everyone to the tram drop-off.

I didn't do it personally, but it looked like they fixed that monorail issue at Epcot by extending the fence all the way around the ramps.

When I was there is September.

I guess you would also need bag check at Riviera since you could go right from there to EPCOT without stopping at CBR

And unless I am totally misremembering I am pretty sure last trip we did not have to do bag check at EPCOT when coming via monorail from TTC
Yes, you are misremembering. The Epcot monorail station, having been designed long before anyone thought of secure vs. nonsecure areas, exits into the parking tram drop-off area, which is outside the secured perimeter.

i agree - maybe because of how much focus Walt put on transportation and the role it plays in urbanization but I have loved this whole process
The Epcot concept is crazy to consider and really interests me from a mass transit concept.

It’s also weird to think of how Disney world is a big city that has a pretty solid mass transit system for the amount of people it moves. The skyliner is just another piece in that crazy machine

I didn't do it personally, but it looked like they fixed that monorail issue at Epcot by extending the fence all the way around the ramps.

When I was there is September.
OK, there was a construction fence in that general area earlier this month, but I didn't investigate. I'll check it next time I'm down there.

Basically if you arrive at epcot via monorail you still have to go through security to enter the park.

If you leave epcot and travel to Magic kingdom, you do not leave the secured permimeter, so you don't go through security again.

Basically if you arrive at epcot via monorail you still have to go through security to enter the park.

If you leave epcot and travel to Magic kingdom, you do not leave the secured permimeter, so you don't go through security again.

maybe that is the direction I am thinking of - we rode it both ways

maybe that is the direction I am thinking of - we rode it both ways
I'm quite certain it is the case, because I was confused by it as well. Frankly, doesn't make any sense to me. I get that it would be difficult to sequester the people, but I feel like you could do it, albeit with a slightly longer walk, but ultimately shorter wait time to get in the park.

Not true. Monorail from Epcot takes you to TTC. You then switch monorails to get to MK, then go through security again when you arrive at the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter