Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

No, they will board empty cabins when they are available. The most likely scenario is that they will have some sort of policy to send every 5th or 8th or whatever from the ends of the CBR-IG line in empty so that Riviera passengers won't have to wait too long for a spot. Again, it is all conjecture on how they handle it, but that's the most likely scenario as they won't want to make Riviera passengers wait too long.

If cabins arrive at Riviera from CBR only partially filled, will they add parties to fill them on to EPCOT? I would assume so.

And boats to MK.
I was joking that the monorails really shouldn't be put into the category of transportation that is "maintained well"

Boats are better maintenance wise IMO, but can't help getting to Epcot

I was joking that the monorails really shouldn't be put into the category of transportation that is "maintained well"

Ah got ya. Well your not wrong....although sounds like they are doing a major correction soon.

If cabins arrive at Riviera from CBR only partially filled, will they add parties to fill them on to EPCOT? I would assume so.

Probably depends on time of day/how crowded it is

During park opening I would suspect they would - a cabin with only 4 people might get a few more added at Riviera .... but during the bulk of the day I suspect they would just wait for fully empty one

This is upsetting to me as a DVC owner at BW. I have been concerned since hearing about the project what the impact would be to IG at Epcot. If this is the only way for several resorts to get to Epcot that will definitely impact the crowds using that entrance. This would impact all the Epcot resorts in a negative way. One of the big perks of staying in that area is the back entrance to Epcot, people are paying a premium for the perk. I sure hope Disney has plans to expand that entrance as there are only about four scanners (if I'm remembering correctly) now to verify valid entry in to the park.

Everything is conjecture right now..but as @TheMaxRebo says - the expectation is that they will push the security back from the current location so that is outside of the boat dock and gondola station. Security will occur at the hotels for all boarding the gondola and the boats. This will result in less crowds.

If you think about how the IG works right now - you have some small level of people walking up from the resorts (let's say around 10 per minute) and then you have a bunch show up at once via the boats (let's call it 120 at once in 15 minute blocks). The gondola will like see at peak times another say 30-40 people per minute, but most of the time it will be more like 20 people per minute. So much of the time, it won't be any worse than when a friendship boat pulls up now - but when a boat DOES come you'll still see a surge. (Though maybe not as many people on the boats, since a lot of people will take the gondolas to go from DHS to Epcot.)

I would suspect (and again just speculation) that when they move the security out, they will increase the number of tap-styles from the current (which I think is 12 - but every time we went through they were not all open). You have to figure in general the number of people coming through this gate will about double, so going to maybe 20 tap-styles should cover most situations.

A good question. I could see them going either way with that, but more than likely if they are uncrowded enough that they are only putting 2 or 4 people on per car at IG or CBR, they also aren't running full cabins either. Certainly if a car shows up to Riviera with only 2 people they might put another 2 on, but I really think they will generally not be cramming the cabins full.

Probably depends on time of day/how crowded it is

During park opening I would suspect they would - a cabin with only 4 people might get a few more added at Riviera .... but during the bulk of the day I suspect they would just wait for fully empty one

Yes, I was mostly talking the busy times. If a cabin comes with 2 and the next cabin is empty heck yea wait for the next one.

But if its EMH morning at EPCOT and Rat just opened, might as well fill in extra seats if avail IMO.

Yes, I was mostly talking the busy times. If a cabin comes with 2 and the next cabin is empty heck yea wait for the next one.

But if its EMH morning at EPCOT and Rat just opened, might as well fill in extra seats if avail IMO.

yeah, in your scenario I could see them add to a cabin ... though I really don't think they will want to jam them full. So if they hold 8 and a cabin comes with 6 not sure they would force a couple in with an existing family of 6 ... but if there are only like 3 or 4 then I could see them adding 2 people to it

yeah, in your scenario I could see them add to a cabin ... though I really don't think they will want to jam them full. So if they hold 8 and a cabin comes with 6 not sure they would force a couple in with an existing family of 6 ... but if there are only like 3 or 4 then I could see them adding 2 people to it

Agreed, It will be interesting how this part plays out. Kinda hoping it's not a TOT type thing, "party of one?" "party of 3?" etc.

Agreed, It will be interesting how this part plays out. Kinda hoping it's not a TOT type thing, "party of one?" "party of 3?" etc.

yeah, I don't think it will ever get that bad but they might see as people are in line if their group would require an entire cabin or not and if not then put them in with a 1/2 empty cabin that comes or pair them up with another smaller party - when times are busy

but who knows, once Galaxy's Edge opens this could look like a Tokyo Subway for all we know

I sure hope Disney has plans to expand that entrance as there are only about four scanners (if I'm remembering correctly) now to verify valid entry in to the park.
There appear to be touchpoints on the exit gates. I don't know whether they've always been there, or recently added. Disney can also deploy cm's with hand scanners if things get really bad.
it looks like security clearance will take place before you get on the gondolas, so thus anyone getting off at IG will not need to go through security to get into EPCOT
That's just an assumption. I'm dubious. The locations of the DHS Skyliner station, bus loops, handicap parking, and what looks to be the new tram drop-off in relation to one another don't appear to be laid out with that in mind. They'd have to build a big fence isolating the station all the way to the bag check, or put in separate bag checks for each mode of arrival, including walk-ins from the parking lot and from Epcot, and at the boat dock. It could be done, but why not design it to make it simple if that was the plan?

There appear to be touchpoints on the exit gates. I don't know whether they've always been there, or recently added. Disney can also deploy cm's with hand scanners if things get really bad.

That's just an assumption. I'm dubious. The locations of the DHS Skyliner station, bus loops, handicap parking, and what looks to be the new tram drop-off in relation to one another don't appear to be laid out with that in mind. They'd have to build a big fence isolating the station all the way to the bag check, or put in separate bag checks for each mode of arrival, including walk-ins from the parking lot and from Epcot, and at the boat dock. It could be done, but why not design it to make it simple if that was the plan?

I really hope security is expanded at the IG either way! Pretty much every time I enter Epcot this way security seems to be the bottleneck more than a line at the tapstiles.

Could be they force a bag check when you switch at CBR station heading to EPCOT, and for Riviera getting on to go to EPCOT.

You'd have to think post Pulse and Las Vegas that Disney will screen before the gondolas. No way they want to give an experienced rifleman an elevated platform that is moving at 10-15 mph.

You'd have to think post Pulse and Las Vegas that Disney will screen before the gondolas. No way they want to give an experienced rifleman an elevated platform that is moving at 10-15 mph.

Geez I hope they screen the D Springs balloon ride.

Last edited:
There won't be real lines for the gondolas, except immediately after fireworks and a few minute one right after a bus drops off at CBR.

If they were filling the cabins to capacity one line could load a bus full of people in less than one minute. If this this gets anywhere near the claimed capacity there is no method of transportation on property that could keep it full. It won't be like the monorail at Park opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter