Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Wait... so how many Disney tourists and/or ECVs are theoreticallly supposed to fit in each one?
This is my thought too. If 705lbs is the weight limit I don't think we'll have to worry about Disney fitting 8-10 people into them! I just looked and the standard scooters weigh 135lbs on their own.

This is my thought too. If 705lbs is the weight limit I don't think we'll have to worry about Disney fitting 8-10 people into them!
I just went back through the thread and I think the PP was referring to a smaller model — that the Disney ones are larger — maybe 2-3 times the weight limit.

Wait... so how many Disney tourists and/or ECVs are theoreticallly supposed to fit in each one?

This is my thought too. If 705lbs is the weight limit I don't think we'll have to worry about Disney fitting 8-10 people into them!
That comment was not for the Disney Gondolas. The Disney ones are 10 person cabins, and probably no more than 2 ECVs per cabin.

That comment was not for the Disney Gondolas. The Disney ones are 10 person cabins, and probably no more than 2 ECVs per cabin.

yeah, i am sure they will have a limit -might be about how they can be secured too - just like on the buses - Certainly no more than 2 (I know sometimes a couple will both be using one so might need to handle 2)

the first full picture in that story really gives you an idea of how close they will be over the heads of people walking up to the IG entrance (assuming that is still the walking path)
No kidding. I know I said it before how the photos showed how low it was going to be but that was when I was thinking about being in a car or bus.

But this picture is now at the vantage point of a pedestrian. Sure will be a sight for both the occupants of the gondola and the people on the ground! :
upload_2019-1-22_16-36-53.png

View attachment 377549

I am 100% certain it is 705 lbs not kgs. And it in fact it used to be 707 lbs. It is a very common point of conversation within these Gondolas, and many others at other resorts.

These cabins also weigh about 460 lbs.

Interesting. Something seems off there, because routinely overloading them just seems like a way to get in trouble somewhere along the line.

Without having read the whole thread, the cabins disney are using kinda look like the omega series? I'm guessing probably the omega 5 10 person cabins. Closest I could find for weight info was for the omega IV 10 person, and that was the 1800kg total weight. I'm guessing the disney ones are probably along those lines.

Just curious.... I know they just started testing but do we think there could be a soft opening this summer? Say like June or is there no way that's gonna happen....

That number seems awfully low to me, and I also honestly don't think that if there's a marked weight limit for these things that any customer of Doppelmayr would be routinely overloading cabins with more weight than what is listed - among other things, that would likely leave them open to massive lawsuits if something were ever to happen. I could maybe see a 705 kg limit for a 4 person lift, any chance it was that instead?

The only information I could find kinda implied that for what I think these gondolas are (without having read enough through to know the exact model) would be something like around an 1800kg carrier weight including payload - so the whole thing including people would be max 1800kg. No idea what the weight of the gondola itself actually is, but it wouldn't really surprise me if it comes in a lot lower than most people would expect. 1800kg is around 4000 pounds, and I wouldn't be surprised if the gondola itself is under 1000 pounds, which would leave around 3000 pounds for people weight.
No idea how they do it for gondolas, but for aircraft the airlines use an assumed weight for everyone and their carry on baggage. As Americans have grown, those assumed weights have not. It wouldn't surprise me if gondola operators did something similar, average weight of 150# + 20# of gear, 4 people would then be an assumed 680#. It really depends on if the weight limit is truly for each gondola or if it is for the entire system, too.

This is exciting news. How many gondolas are we expecting?

Over 100 I believe.

It has been awhile since I read it, but IIRC, Liftblog was guessing 225 cabins total based on the stacks of hangers in the aerial photos.

yeah, i am sure they will have a limit -might be about how they can be secured too - just like on the buses - Certainly no more than 2 (I know sometimes a couple will both be using one so might need to handle 2)

I think the speculation is that they won't be secured, at least not with straps. I could see them using wheel chocks though. You don't have accident loads in a gondola like you do in a bus.

No idea how they do it for gondolas, but for aircraft the airlines use an assumed weight for everyone and their carry on baggage. As Americans have grown, those assumed weights have not. It wouldn't surprise me if gondola operators did something similar, average weight of 150# + 20# of gear, 4 people would then be an assumed 680#. It really depends on if the weight limit is truly for each gondola or if it is for the entire system, too.
Hmmm...

I was just coming to post that there was a gondola hanging in the HS station when we left the park yesterday

(ETA) I gotta add, y'all are speculating on some of the funniest things about these vehicles and this system in general. I get that a lot of what message boards are about is discussing and speculating but wow, this thread has to take that to the nth degree. Nothing more, just an observation about this topic. It's bringing more speculation than a new ride! Just wonder why really. Why not wait to find out when they are closer to operation? Wouldn't a lot of this be answered then, and not left to guessing? (like what will be wrapped and how, weight, capacity, etc)
Or is it just fun to toss out guesses and see if you are right?

Last edited:
I would guess Air freight isn't practical due to the height. In my experience shipping race cars via air freight, the cars are approaching the upper limit for height restrictions. I don't think they need to rush them anyway. It's not that they can't fit, but the height needed would severely restrict the options for air freight, and drive up the cost.
It's just over a 2 week journey by sea freight, and another week in Customs hold. If they were in a race to get this thing online, there is still enough groundwork left, that shipping the cabins by sea now would still hit the mark, as there is still at least a month of work left on all the stations.

(ETA) I gotta add, y'all are speculating on some of the funniest things about these vehicles and this system in general. I get that a lot of what message boards are about is discussing and speculating but wow, this thread has to take that to the nth degree. N
Not even close! Have you checked out threads on this topic on other boards?! :scared1: o_O :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter